Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

Very sad news, regarding Learner

Today is a very sad day.

I found out, from Stx and Caduceus that Learner has died.

Learner has been part of the EL development team since the beginning, more exactly since September of 2003, just months after EL was released. He helped with the client and later with the server. He was always there for me when there was a problem with EL. Even last month, when that hard drive failed he spent many hours helping us get back online.

The news is fresh and I am still processing it, so the words are a bit lacking. I am very sad that he has passed away, but I hope he is happy now with his wife, who has passed away over 10 years ago. He will be surely missed by everyone!

Rest in peace!

My heart goes out to his close ones and people who knew him. Imo there should be a statue placed, surrounded by ants or something else he contributed to the game, in his honour. 

As you say, I'm still processing the news as well.  Learner, you will be sorely missed and have been a very good friend. We talked about anything and everything and not just about EL, for just shy of 20 years.  Rest in peace. :(

Thanks for all you've done for EL, and OL, and our small but strong communities, Learner. I can't find other words for this. I'll just go harvest fruits under Pula's Tavern.

I also am very saddened by this news. I have worked with and talked to Learner on and off over the years. He was not only an excellent programmer and system administrator, but also a very likeable person with a wry sense of humour that I appreciated very much. This news came as a very unwelcome shock.

Rest in peace, Learner. We will miss you.

My thanks to Learner for his part in providing me with good times in EL and derivatives. My thoughts and prayers go out to him and those close to him.  My heart also goes out to those here for whom this news is difficult to endure.

It's been a long time since we talked but I still remember it fondly. Thanks for all the great conversations and your sense of humour. EL wouldn't be what it is without you.

My heartfelt condolences go out to the family and friends. As someone who just lost his father this hits me hard and takes me back to memories from almost 20 years ago.

Rest in Peace, Learner. I hope you keep hobobob38 (Camden) some company in @20

Edited by Aki

Rest in peace Learner... I remember we talked quite a bit about OL and other stuff as well... I think you were also a reason for which I decided to go into programming, and for that I will be forever grateful.

My condolences go out to his family and friends.

Rest in peace Learner,
We haven't talked much but you were always there to help and answer questions about map making i had. You rather helped me extra than too less. I thank you for all your time and dedication you put into the games and people that have been a big part of my and others life.

Edited by chester74

RIP Learner, first guy I ever saw on newbie island back in 2004
my condolences

I haven't been here in years but dang.

Never spoke too much with him, but of the few times, cannot say a bad word about the man.

May you rest in peace, Learner.

RIP Learner.  I will always remember you harvesting fruit at IP and your Ants running around EL. You will be missed greatly, and thank you for everything you’ve done for us. 

Rip Learner. Always a helpful one. 

Michic0_oL aka TommyKnocker

ps, i've just realized this is my first post in 7 years, wish it would have been for different circumstances..

Edited by Michic0_oL

I'm shocked and deeply saddened by this news.  I never met Learner in person but we had countless chats about the game and spinoffs. Wow, terrible news.

A very good man always went the extra mile to help anyone loved working on new projects recently only made possible by him, a very tragic loss of such a talented kind individual rest in peace steve x