Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Acelon

A way to improve Joker

So as we all know, Joker prizes are pretty bad. Whether its bread...potions of harvesting...or an amazing piece of leather, finding Joker isn't really that beneficial. (Well minus the occasional steel shield).

So why shouldn't there be better prizes? Probably because some really good items can be put ingame that shouldn't have more added. So how do we fix this? SuFFer had a good idea (which I am posting on his behalf) that there should be another NPC that is Joker's "friend," and s/he accepts donations from players for prizes.

I'm not quite sure how Joker's code works now, but what I pictured was a file acting as a temporary list. When an item is donated, their ID is added to the temporary file with a random chance %. When that item is given out by Joker, its removed from the list.

Of course, there could be issues with people donating crappy stuff as well, but rather than having people spam Joker with crappy stuff, could limit donations to once per week per player.

Also with the issues of quantities...if someone donates 5 steel chain, all 5 shouldn't be given out at one time, but 1 at a time. The only exceptions with this should be coins.

Thoughts?

Edit: Another way to prevent crappy item spam...don't let certain objects be donated (Ie: thread, harvestables, etc) or have a limit of 50 emu per donation.

Edited by Acelon

Thoughts?

I thought i saw somewhere on the web once a map of all the spots joker pops up, unless it was fake, maybe if joker will potentially get better stuff, his pop up locations should be changed/updated (if they haven't already)

well for the gcs part i would think maybe 100-200gc could be given out (more or less can be made) and yes i like the idea of donations ^^ gives me something to do with my iron broad swords that the ogres so love. also, maybe add in some aug leather armor parts and maybe some medallions.

Nice idea, but i have 1 question:

Why ppl should ever donate to joker? If they have some stuff that they dont need isnt it better to give it to guildmates or newbies(or newbie guildmates :evilgrin: )?

eMPi

Sometimes people have items they want to donate to contests, but don't now who to give it to. Joker is like a 24/7 contest that everyone can participate in.

Yes, you can say why would be do it...but when the suggestion was discussed on channel 4 earlier, people said that they would love to donate stuff (I know I would as well).

I think it's a nice idea (I'd contribute too, thinking monster dropped books ;)) and please put in some Irilion joker spawns as well :evilgrin:

It's a great idea and i would love to donate some stuff if this gets implemented but as Candlegoat said the spawns should be changed so the Joker hunters don't run around and collect all the items and get all the donated goodies, if changed everyone would have the same chanse to run across him and get some nice stuff :evilgrin:

i like it but the joker spots are arent really spread out :x be better if he was also on Irilion/2 jokers 1 for irilion and 1 for seridia

People can always donate to me if they want their stuff to be used in a contest :D

OnT: It's quite a good idea ^^ But after reading Ermabwed's post, I'd like to see some books getting added to the list of not accepted donations if that is possible xD

If not, well I hope there aren't too many "spam" books, more like magic sword books :D

-- Cyp

People can always donate to me if they want their stuff to be used in a contest :P

:omg: i'll accept donations as well! lol...

If not, well I hope there aren't too many "spam" books, more like magic sword books :hehe:

now that would be one hell of a joker prize

i've never found joker :(

but on second thought i have never really looked for him :P may not ever find him either unless he pops up at storage where im usually sitting at, lol

i always love seeing the blue notes on my screen tho, so and so has found joker and got a bread, lol, ive stated in gm a time or two (or probably a hundred) that joker should only give out either bread or hydro bars, heheh, that way you are a winner either way! :hehe:

seriously tho, i never knew there was an npc to donate to for joker prizes, who/where is this npc? i have some things i would be willing to donate, and i promise its not bread :omg:

I don't really like this idea. Firstly the Joker spawns should be fully random and then it may be a good idea to make prizes better.

I don't really like this idea. Firstly the Joker spawns should be fully random and then it may be a good idea to make prizes better.

I like set spawn points - It adds more to game play if you know a spawn.

I just think that the number would need increased A LOT if such idea was added.

The fully random thing is lame to be honest...and the point about donations was NOT to add more items to the game, but rather spread around items that are ingame.

Lol I don't know if the donations could get any crappier than 1 bread, 1 leather, or 1 gc :omg:

Besides, I think this could add a whole new aspect to "Joker" contests. For example, "I just donated a magic s2e to joker! Good luck!" In my opinion, that would be pretty cool. :hehe:

seriously tho, i never knew there was an npc to donate to for joker prizes, who/where is this npc? i have some things i would be willing to donate, and i promise its not bread :omg:

This NPC doesn't exist... It's what the suggestion is about, to get one.

The fully random thing is lame to be honest.

Lame? Not at all. It's how ideally it should be. Then better prizes would make sense.

Is it not you who I remember tracking down Joker with an alt cuz you knew all spawns anyway. Random is good.

-Blee

I like set spawn points - It adds more to game play if you know a spawn.

Defeats the purpose of the Joker when people camp out at them. Nobody likes seeing the same names over and over again "find" him.

The joker would still have to have his base supply unreliant on people's donations. It wouldn't be fair for somebody to find the joker and get nothing because of a slow donation week.

Lame? Not at all. It's how ideally it should be. Then better prizes would make sense.

And I disagree with that. I think that it adds to the gameplay experience if you know a spawn..or two...or a ton! Its just nice knowing a spawn. If you are in the area, you can go to check it. Its a nice distraction from the work you may be doing.

When I found out my first Joker spawn, I would check it when I was in the area...then my collection of spawns kept growing, and soon enough, I was spending my game day hunting Joker. It was fun, and brings in a new occupation to the game. Imagine if there were 500 spawns? That would prevent people from getting rich off of spawns but still add in that known-spawn effect while still keeping it decently random.

Maybe joker should have a time limit for how long he stops at a spawn point unfound .. loads more spawn points and if not found after 15-20mins then poofs to another one

Maybe joker should have a time limit for how long he stops at a spawn point unfound .. loads more spawn points and if not found after 15-20mins then poofs to another one

That would increase how often the joker is found too much. Yes, add loads of Joker spawns but leave him there until found.

I think this is a great idea...

And for the spawning there should be many spawns, including many on irilion too, that will make things more interesting, plus a lot harder for people to properly search for joker.

:) great idea. donation npc for prizes & more/different joker spawn points.

I have stuff ready to donate.

As a side note I have sadly found Joker once. :(