Eternal Lands Official Forums
Torg

Emote codes for the client

I'm currently working on the code to add "emotes" (additional small animations based on commands) to the next version of the EL client.

There have been a few suggestions for the format for commands to trigger these emotes, but we would like to know other ideas, and hopefully a general consensus from the EL population.

Note: This isn't a discussion of what emotes will be provided. That is up to Roja. I am simply asking how people would like to type them to get them to display.

Also, it hasn't been coded yet, but there will be a dropdown where you can select the emotes without having to type them. This is helpful is if you can't remember the format or code for the emote (and while learning them).

- Firstly, should the code be similar to the codes here in the forums and IM clients where you have a bracket at the start and end: E.g. [nod] or (nod)

Or, should it be similar to the commands in EL (we can't use # or @): E.g. %nod

- Also, should they use the full name of the command, or just a single character/initials. E.g. [shake_head], [sh] or [@] (the last one is simliar to MSN/Yahoo IM codes).

What would you like to type (you think will be easy to remember and easy to type) to get your character to nod or shake it's head??

Edited by Torg

First, can these commands be embedded in other text or must they be on a line by themselves? For example:

/person I think yes [nod]

vs

/person I think yes

%nod

Second, whatever the command is should be short. [shake_head] is bad, [nod] is good.

Third, if the text is wrapped, I'd vote for non-shifted characters like [] rather than () or <>.

Finally, the drop-down menu should use the same text as used for the typed command. If we use chars (like @) then the menu should read something like "@ - nod".

Edited by bkc56

I'd say go with %nod. Seems less confusing, and less likely to typo and easier to type (less using of shift :laugh:)

how about:

*nod

*wave

*smile

the % kinda blocks the word a bit, dunno just a thought

I am with Bernie the *nod shall be fine! If it is not that hard it would be fine if the emotes would work when you write something in local

Ex.: [Troger: nod] this way it would appear the text too and if you put the * character in the front like [Troger: *nod] would appear only the emote.

I don't think that * is a good idea, because it is often used for typo correction, such as:

Yuo sukc!

*you

I think $ would be a better way, because it is very rare for a proposition to start with a $.

Or, maybe we can use something similar to html/xml, such as:

Hi <bow>. How are you?

On a different note, the server must process them first, in order to prevent someone from emote spam people.

if the choice of prefix character is determined by using/not using shift/alt/ctrl keys,

please remember that a lot of ppl use non-US keyboard layouts.

For me (French azerty), '%', '/', '.' [dot] are shifted, '[' and ']' need the AltGr modifier...

So, whichever sign you pick, someone will probably have to use a modifier key to reach it.

As for little used signs, I could suggest '¤', rarely used for anything :)

Any symbols are fine by me tbh, but I think they would be easier to remember if the emote keywords were not based on a description of the emote but on a word themselves.

ie:

#Yes = nod emote

#no = shake head emote

#bye = wave emote

#omg = hands on head emote

etc

Just a thought but sounds great whatever is used :D

All we need is the Diva "watever" emote and be perfect :)

Edited by conavar

What about the \ character:

\nod

\dance

\strip_naked_and_sing_drunkenly

\macarena

\breakdance

- Firstly, should the code be similar to the codes here in the forums and IM clients where you have a bracket at the start and end: E.g. [nod] or (nod)

Either of these sound good, I don't think it matters as long as we don't need to shift to do it. (which rules out the () )

Any symbols are fine by me tbh, but I think they would be easier to remember if the emote keywords were not based on a description of the emote but on a word themselves.

ie:

#Yes = nod emote

#no = shake head emote

#bye = wave emote

#omg = hands on head emote

etc

I also agree with this.

All we need is the Diva "watever" emote and be perfect :whistle:

LOL !!!!!!!

Yeh got to remember the non US keyboards if thinking about shift key, but tbh if you cant press shift theres something wrong with your keyboard skills :icon13: so doesnt bother me either way but I like the simplicity of :

$nod

$wave

$bow

$fu** off

not sure i like the idea of (nod) (wave) (bow) (FO) , having one icon before the desired emote seems better , and too many symbols to initiate it like (*) (^) (%) is more efficient but .....dunnoh just prefer words

Question, why is it that we can't use #?

Is it simply to prevent confusion with (regular) commands?

Unless it's something technical that rules out the #, I'd prefer it over any yet-another-character.

*hopes he can act like he #laughs in the near future...* :whistle:

On a different note, the server must process them first, in order to prevent someone from emote spam people.

Sounds like we can just use the # sign then :whistle:

Why not simply use a dot '.' like .nod .kicks .blushes and such. Should be easy to access on every keyboard layout, or is there a keyboard layout where you need to press a modifier key to type the dot?

Or, just make it configurable, so everybody can choose his most preferred key :whistle:

(and no, i wont suggest something like <nod>, that just causes typos IMO)

Piper

Why not simply use a dot '.' like .nod .kicks .blushes and such. Should be easy to access on every keyboard layout, or is there a keyboard layout where you need to press a modifier key to type the dot?

Or, just make it configurable, so everybody can choose his most preferred key :whistle:

(and no, i wont suggest something like <nod>, that just causes typos IMO)

Piper

. should be avoided because it should already be used as nromal puncuation. The last thing you want is unexpected emotes/side effects.

Lets use xml style, something like:

<command type="emote" scope="local" active-body-part="arm" gesture="wave">

guess fans of idiotic xml format would be happy >:->

Now to the point: Seems that emote commands should be on separate line, like

hello

%smile

because any symbol we may choose to escape emotes can be used for usual speaking. which makes

it difficult to use them in the middle of the sentence (like: hello %smile).

So should be symbol you never start your sentence with, and I don't think format like <nod> or [nod] is reasonable,

it's just superfluous key-pressing in the end. What is left?

^ | \ ; :

not a big choice.

On the EL website, under the manual link, it says to emote something just add a colon (:), is this not something we can use or would its inclusion in :-) and :-( cause problems or would these be smile and frown emotes anyway?

Although an interesting take on emotes, I am against Conavar's suggestion as some cultures use different gestures to indicate yes and no and a whole range of other things, it would be too complex and would depend on a particular cultural interpretation of the correct gesture.

Just my 2p

Although an interesting take on emotes, I am against Conavar's suggestion as some cultures use different gestures to indicate yes and no and a whole range of other things, it would be too complex and would depend on a particular cultural interpretation of the correct gesture.

Just my 2p

Very true, but differant cultures also have differant meanings for some gestures, which is why I suggested using yes/no commands etc, then atleast EL has its own default gestures players can learn regardless of nationality, and there home countrys meaning of said gestures.

Or we might end up with encyc sized tome of descriptions:

#nod means yes (unless you are talking to a player from XXXXX and it means no, or the player is from XXXXX and it means 2 beers and a packet of crisps plz) stupid example but hopefully gets the point over.

Edited by conavar

Just my 2p

Very true, but differant cultures also have differant meanings for some gestures, which is why I suggested using yes/no commands etc, then atleast EL has its own default gestures players can learn regardless of nationality, and there home countrys meaning of said gestures.

Or we might end up with encyc sized tome of descriptions:

#nod means yes (unless you are talking to a player from XXXXX and it means no, or the player is from XXXXX and it means 2 beers and a packet of crisps plz) stupid example but hopefully gets the point over.

No, thats 3 beers and a packet of crisps!

:nod:

sorry for second post:

I dont have any issues using shift key, it's not that hard haha

after all, I have to use if for @ and # anyways and the % is also a shift usage (it's number 5)

As long as it's simple to use, not requireing a "set" as in using the () or [] or {} , and if we had to use those, that's fine too, not too hard really choosing any key to type it using shift key or not. I have never seen or used any other keyboard other than one made here in usa, so i have no clue how other countries set up keyboards. That being said it would be a nice idea to consider this when decideing the key to use for emotes.

BTW, i think it is fantastic to add these, will be fun !

I can't wait for these lol.

I agree with the use of the '#' key...its kinda standard already for issuing most commands and I dont have to go searching for another lol.

BTW, will emotes work while sitting with/without sitlock, standing and/or walking??