Eternal Lands Official Forums
Ripley

Manufacture window

I must suck at using these forums, I thought I had posted this allready, but now I cant find it. My apologies if it appears twice...

I work on a keyboard all day, and have suffered from RSI in the past. My wrist and arm get very sore whenever I have to use the manufacture window. As I dont fight much, this is quite a lot. In fact, apart from harvesting, its all I do. The main cause of the pain is pressing the MIX button over and over, or rolling my mouse wheel over and over.

I wanted to suggest that once you press MIX once, that the game would continue to mix for you until you ran out of ingredients OR you failed. This would stop people setting it up and leaving thier computer, while making it easier on people like myself who get so sore :blush:

Anyway, this is only a suggestion, thanks for your attention.

Ripley

P.S. A possible problem I have thought of is how would you drink your feasting potions - unless running out of food also stopped the mixing, or that taking food when you get to zero was also automated. I think that the process should stop when the food got to zero, to make sure that people are watching, and not sneaking off to have a nap :) But this is just my humble opinion

Actually, as a fellow sufferer of RSI/CTS, I know how you feel. We will look into possibly doing this in the server officially. I cant say for sure if it'll be done, but will let you know.

We will look into possibly doing this in the server officially.

Thank you so much for at least considering the idea.

The "mindless clicking" has been an issue for me since I first started playing. As a UI designer, I'm always on the lookout for things to make the user's life easier. I too have to be very careful about RMI issues. And while keyboard-mappings (ctrl-1 to eat) and using the mouse wheel on the "mix" button help a lot, it could still be made better without destroying the intent and interactivity of game-play.

No auto-eating!

Why? Many of the items one makes use so much food that any sort of "mix till out of ingredients" function would stop after the first item is made. Many itemss need one FP per mix (and even more eating if you're using fruit/veggies).

And before anyone gets going on "afk leveling" or "just let the computer play for you" or "you might as well be a bot" types of arguments, we're not talking about making the game to easy to play (removing the work of leveling a skill). We're talking about ways to change the endless repetative nature of some aspects of the game (like mixing) and retain the spirit and fun of the game.

Edited by bkc56

No auto-eating!

Why? Many of the items one makes use so much food that any sort of "mix till out of ingredients" function would stop after the first item is made. Many itemss need one FP per mix (and even more eating if you're using fruit/veggies).

Many don't.

Have to agree with Aislinn on this one. True, there are a lot of C2 rings which require a lot of food, but how often are they made? A couple are made for levelling by top crafters, but thats only a handful of players.

If food was auto, there's way too much potential for abuse. Someone with a high emu and alch, could potentially mix several hundred FEs while off making a cuppa or something.

I'd like it if it keeps going until you fail, run out of ingreds, run out of food, or make an enriched item. How many times have you missed that message because of clicking away without paying attention?

Am I correct in stating that at the moment - 'mix' needs the mouse - ie there is no keypress for it?

If a keypress could be made for mix - only if the mix window is up - then that would make it easier for sufferers - as I for one can only use the mouse with one hand, but can use keyboard with both.

try using scroll buttong ;p better as clicking for sure..

didnt read whole thread

Yes but to scroll - you still hold the mouse with the same hand in the same position.

We need to have an option to select the quantity. For example, there are times you want to build only one or two items, or summons.

Would two mix buttons do instead?

• '>' to mix once.
  • '>>' to mix many.

This was done in an old modified client wasn't it? Though official server side implementation does mean an extension to the protocol, but so would quantity selection.

i love this idea glad its being thought about. i have to agree with above posts, no auto food eating this will help tremendously with things like FE's that r made constantly but most u could make b4 stoping is 45 so it cant be abuse easily, or for very long if ppl leave their comp.

sounds like a good idea, but like others said, no auto eat, or people can mix like 300 low emu items while being afk for 15 mins

it makes sence that it would be added (comparing to harvesting skill) and cant be to hard to make it stop when diff things happen, u stop mining when a random event happens (knowing nothing about programing) i assume it would be done the same way.

Edited by Happy_G

As a person who suffer from RSI (back in time to the point I had to stop using computer at all for over 2 weeks or the doctor threatened with putting my arm in a cast) I see the reason for making kind of automix button.

However, there should be some limitations to it. The mixing should be stopped when one of belows appear:

• any random effect (positive/negative);
  • food level goes below 1;
  • ingredients goes off.

Even if it saves 2-4 click on each 10 it's 200-400 per 1000, which is a lot, believe me.

The other option to avoid muliclicking would be implementing promised a while ago by Roja cauldrons (for alchemy/potions) and something similar for manufacturing/crafting.

Why there shouldn't be autofeeding? Simple answer. I can imagine one putting all pickpoints into physique. What would we get then? Mining/manufacturing robot. One click and with a bit of luck you one can come tens minutes later to get the stuff ready without even sitting next to computer.

Regards,

Gil

<edit>

Removed '1.' as I never put 2. :S

Edited by Gilean

its interesting to note that WOW have manufacturing in its game, and there they have a "make all" button. but then WOW is designed to have noe hell of a positive reinforcement loop. something tells me that evercrack will be childs play as i have seen people that never showed any interest in mmorpgs go whole hog WOW addicts...

try loosening your wrists and hands every 5~ minutes, that way the muscles and joints don't get stuck, also keep them warm, this keeps muscles in better state

this is meant as a tip, dont use it if you dont want to

I would like to thank the developers so much for the new mix window that keeps mixing more than five steps (the mix all option). It is really wonderful.

Along similar lines, I would like to make another suggestion for improving the mix window, especially for those of us who suffer some form of carpel tunnel syndrom or similar.

With some of the items made, you have to click a lot of times to indicate how many of them should go into the mix. For example, 30 ogre toes for one Extra mana potion. And now, 80 times (!) for earth essences for one matter conglomerate. Clicking 80 times really makes my arm hurt and there is no scroll option here. True, I only need to do it the first time I make matter conglomerates, but I still need to click many times every time I mix something new.

My suggestion: Could you please consider adding a numbers bar at the bottom of the mix window, the way you have at the bottom of the inventory? That way, I could indicate how many of each ingredient I want to add to the mix.

Thank you so much!

lilbear

Excellent suggestion, lilbear! That would be awesome, especially for crafters who have to click 30 times or so for one ess and 10-15 for another just for one ring. This implementation would be GREATLY appreciated.

Taking this one step further, what about quick-mix formulas (like there are spell bar icons that define what sigils in what order). I could setup a formula and "save it" so that at some future time it would be 1-click to load up the mix window rather than the 50+ that some formulas require now. You'd only need a few slots (6-10) for the most common stuff you make, or the really BIG stuff (like the matter conglomerate).

it is indeed strange that the quantity numbers from your inv. cant be used in the mixing window. It would indeed be a great improve and reduce the pain from clicking 30 times the same item. So i me too love this idee.