Photo

Vista

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

Poll: Anyone here plans to use Vista any time soon? (262 member(s) have cast votes)

Poll

1. I plan to use it in the near future (2 months or so) (27 votes [10.47%])

Percentage of vote: 10.47%

2. Maybe in a year or two, I don't know. (75 votes [29.07%])

Percentage of vote: 29.07%

3. No way, I am going to stick to XP and then Linux or Mac (68 votes [26.36%])

Percentage of vote: 26.36%

4. I am already using a non MS OS, no plans to switch to Vista (80 votes [31.01%])

Percentage of vote: 31.01%

5. I am already using Vista (8 votes [3.10%])

Percentage of vote: 3.10%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Entropy

Entropy

teh G0d

• Admin
  • 14259 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 12:59 AM

I am curious about what our player plans are regarding Vista.
There might be all kind of incompatibilities with EL, especially with the auto update system and the graphics (the OpenGL support is still lacking for Nvidia cards).

We don't have any plans to make EL more Vista friendly for the next year or two, but if people submit patches that help, we are willing to merge them (provided they do not interfere with the other OSes).

#2 Gohan

Gohan

Black Panther

• Members
  • 2478 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 01:02 AM

Don't think I'll get it, I think it'd be annoying if my parents found out about the parental control thingy I heard of.

-Blee

P.S. My brother's been running Vista for a while already, so to me it was like it already existed. :happy:

#3 the_voice

the_voice

Skunk

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 01:02 AM

las ms os i used was dos 6.22 \o/

#4 crus

crus

Racoon

• Members
  • 189 posts
  • Interests:many

Posted 31 January 2007 - 01:03 AM

Happy linux user here for a few years allready.. love my gentoo :happy:

#5 Mortek

Mortek

Skunk

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 01:06 AM

Linux rulez! :D Why to care about some money scamming ms thing :happy:

#6 Ice

Ice

Skunk

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 01:06 AM

I will be able to purchase 1 copy of vista for $5.00 throught the college, but I will not install it for a 6-12 months. I prefer to allow time for more of the bugs to be worked out before switching over.

#7 The_Piper

The_Piper

Panda Bear

• Members
  • 3823 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 01:07 AM

SuSE Linux user and proud of it :happy:

Piper

#8 Beorn

Beorn

Fox

• Members
  • 421 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 01:09 AM

My friends dad is a product tester for Microsoft/Windows and he said that Vista is not good. It's pretty much as bad as if not worse than ME. I'll stick with XP.

#9 Entropy

Entropy

teh G0d

• Admin
  • 14259 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 01:12 AM

So who is the one already using Vista? How does EL work in Vista? Does the autoupdate work? Any graphical issues? Any issues in general?

#10 Sayre

Sayre

*T*

• Members
  • 779 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 01:13 AM

Running Linux here. Been following news of Vista but having purged windows from all my other boxes, will probably only look at it on other peoples machines.

S.

#11 Chryzopraz

Chryzopraz

Racoon

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 01:14 AM

I am a linux user for 10 years now. And linux only for about 5.
No plans to use any MS product in foreseable future.

Regards

Chryzopraz

#12 Tanyia

Tanyia

Girl in a bawwel.

• Members
  • 1816 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 01:18 AM

I use Ubuntu, and I'll stick with it for my main OS because I absolutely love it. I plan on buying a Mac laptop when I can afford it. Of course, if I get a new PC desktop in a few years and it comes with Vista, hey, I won't get rid of it, but I won't pay for an upgrade from XP. I only use my XP partition for one game and a few graphics program (the Gimp and I just do not agree).

#13 Matusalem

Matusalem

Rabbit

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:Linux and 3D graphics

Posted 31 January 2007 - 01:27 AM

Slack Rules :happy:

#14 Theryndan

Theryndan

Imp

• Moderators
  • 379 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 01:46 AM

Using Slackware :happy:
I've windows xp on another partition and load it like once every 1~2 months, so not interested in Vista

#15 LaNora

LaNora

Deer

• Members
  • 346 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 03:45 AM

i should have a copy of vista within the next week from work, after i back up my system and install it, ill download el and let ya know if/how it works.

#16 ttlanhil

ttlanhil

Bear

• Members
  • 5155 posts
  • Interests:pineapples, programming, and EL 8^)

Posted 31 January 2007 - 06:16 AM

unfortunately, new computers will come with vista from now on (or maybe progressively for a little while as people clear out old stocks)... and people will assume they have to shell out cash for vista or else their computer will break (no, really, some people think they have to upgrade)

the problem with auto update is that if you get administrator privileges to install the game, but run it as a normal user account (which has been the case for any secure operating system for a long, long time and why it has problems under linux/etc) then auto-update won't have the rights to alter files.
there may be ways around this... or you may end up having to just put in the admin password each time auto-update has to change stuff... we'll see.
of course, there's also the issue that MS is pushing directx pretty strongly, so opengl support may decline... fortunately, EL is far from the only game that uses OpenGL, and if it's not supported anymore there'd be a large backlash... it may take a while before vista supports OpenGL, but it'll also be a while before vista has had enough time for bugs to be fixed and for it to be stable enough for general use.
so, anyone who has it and has problems has themselves to blame as well :P

#17 Entropy

Entropy

teh G0d

• Admin
  • 14259 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 07:08 AM

Yes, that's a big problem, computers coming preinstalled with the OS.
I think this should be illegal (it's a monopoly), especially in the cases where they won't refund you the money if you don't want to use the OS.

#18 ttlanhil

ttlanhil

Bear

• Members
  • 5155 posts
  • Interests:pineapples, programming, and EL 8^)

Posted 31 January 2007 - 07:27 AM

Yes, that's a big problem, computers coming preinstalled with the OS.
I think this should be illegal (it's a monopoly), especially in the cases where they won't refund you the money if you don't want to use the OS.

what makes you think it isn't? as part of a package deal, they are making you buy a physical thing (the collection of computer components) as well as a license from a third party.
furthermore, the windows EULA specifies that if you don't agree to its terms, you can return to the place of purchase for a refund
local laws will vary, and either of those may be legal or not legal (in the first case, the forcing of a purchase of hardware as well as a license, which is inseparable, may or may not be legally enforceable), so you'd have to check with a lawyer near by...

the problem isn't the pre installation, it's that: a) the customer isn't told of their options and asked what they want; and :P that anyone believes the packaging and pre installation can be forced

#19 Schmurk

Schmurk

Boar

• Members
  • 701 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 07:57 AM

I agree with Ent, I totally disagree the fact that new computers are sold with windows already installed.
Anyway, for me windows is the past and linux the future. I don't have windows anymore on my computer and I will never reinstall it!
And if game designers still don't want to support their products under linux, it's not important, my favorite game already works very well on it :D :P

#20 Entropy

Entropy

teh G0d

• Admin
  • 14259 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 08:01 AM

furthermore, the windows EULA specifies that if you don't agree to its terms, you can return to the place of purchase for a refund

I didn't even agree with the EULA on this computer. I bought it from Circuit City (big chain store in the US), and windows came preinstalled. I didn't have to press on any "I agree" button.
So in theory I don't have to abide to any terms in the XP's license, since I didn't agree with it.

However, next time I am going to buy a computer (Roja needs a new one soon) I will either ask if they sell them without Windows, or if not, we'll order online (from NewEgg or something).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users