Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

Windows update ready

Ok, the final 1.8.0 version is here, and I strongly recommend everyone to download and install it ASAP. The server update will be probably in a few days, as soon as I get a working Linux static bin and the universal mac client.

The Linux/Mac files will be released soon, until then you can just try to extract it with wine or something.

Download:

http://www.eternal-lands.com/el_180_update.exe

Close the EL client

Install it to where your EL DATA folder is.

Enjoy.

Where is this EL data thing?

if you are running on windows its usually like this to find it :

My Computer >> C: Drive >> Programme Files >> Eternal Lands

But tbh the installer usually directs you to install the new data into that folder anyway , it always has done for me anyway :)

I've just tested this version briefly under wine; looks fine so far. I did notice that the "Unknown sound (Bow Fire Out) in actor def: ..." messages still (I reported this in one of the RC threads) appear in the error_log.txt file once you install sound. Is there doing to be a sound update too?

Downloaded it from LabRat's mirror (thanks -- very smooth and quick) a few hours ago. I haven't really had time to test it, but will do once I finish my assignments.

(sidenote: I'm assuming once the server is updated, that huge extra space in SRM storage will be walkable? I occasionally wander in there, curious to see that everyone's occupying the same spaces so close to Grawl...)

Downloaded it from LabRat's mirror (thanks -- very smooth and quick) a few hours ago. I haven't really had time to test it, but will do once I finish my assignments.

(sidenote: I'm assuming once the server is updated, that huge extra space in SRM storage will be walkable? I occasionally wander in there, curious to see that everyone's occupying the same spaces so close to Grawl...)

Yes, it will be walkable.

Since the update is near, I expect soon the new full installer will be on the website for the download, and so I was wondering which options will be in the default el.ini (which will affect the new players, the ones who probably don't know much about the various options/settings)

Here are a few settings that I could think of to make the game more new-user-friendly

- #data_dir set to C:\Program Files\Eternal Lands (not correct for everyone, and not required, but still remove the "wrong datadir" message from the error_log for many players)

- the camera behaviour has changed, what will be the default settings? (on my [old]system speed=40, fine speed=20 and deceleration=0.10 work fine - but is this system dependent?)

- does "new selection" need to be on by default? some players have problems with it, while I can't recall ayone having problems with it off

- does "mouse bug" need to be off by default? some players need it on, but I don't know if having it on when unneeded creates any issue

- the maximum vieving/reflection distance: what will be the default? new players start near the water, and settings too high will make framerate terrible for users with low-end systems

- default afk time, I don't remember the default for the last release, but "0" is confusing for new players

- "disable sound and music system" could be on by default? new users don't have sound/music anyway, and iirc this option should make the client run a bit faster

One last thing: could the windows installer create shortcuts that have ["c:\path_to_exe\el.exe" main] as target? (another non-critical error, which can confound new users who are experiencing problems, would be removed)

Theryndan, I made a few changes to the el.ini, such as changing the camera speed a little (but not as you recommended, because then there are other issues). I also changed the data path to point to the default location, and I decreased the reflections speed a little. New selection needs to be on by default because it is faster. Mouse bug must be off because it uses a less accurate algorithm. And I don't think the default afk time is 0..

I have installed the new version of EL for Windows and I am liked as, the monsters they are more beautiful and there are new things ... my expectations have been winning. Thanks

thank you everyone for all the work put into EL again for this new release :)

really looking forward to seeing the horses in game and hope they will in the future have even more development on them especially, such as being able to attack while riding and shoot arrows from :devlish:

thanks again for the hard work , despite what is sometimes said in more heated moments EL is a fantastic game with some really great people in :icon13: