Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

Pets implementation

Read the whole thing before replying, or you get banned

Soon I want to start working at some pets, one at a time.

The first pet will be the fighter pet, and I will like some feedback (constructive and intelligent feedback ktnxb).

The way I see the pets is like this:

1. You buy a pet egg (later on, it might be manufacturable under summoning, but not sure about it yet).

The price of the egg will be high, perhaps around 100-200K, to prevent everyone from getting it and overcrowd the game with pets.

2. Once you use the egg, the pet spawns, starting at level 1.

3. There will be 10 levels for the pet, the levels will be different than for the players.

4. The pet will be around for a limited time, and will require pet food. For example, 1 minute of the pet being around will cost 1 food item. The food price will have to be determined, probably something like 100 gc.

5. The pet will auto feed if you have food in your inventory, and there will be a way to unsummon the pet if desired (for example, to stop eating food if not in use). Alternatively, you will be able to give the pet as much food as you want, and it won't self feed from your inventory. The exact implementation needs to be decided.

6. Once the pet is unsummoned, you will need a special item to resummon it, and the item will dissapear after each use. The cost of the item will be around 200gc, but that's to be dtermined.

7. If the pet dies (such as during a fight), then you will need a pet ressurection item, which will be in the 500-1K gc range.

8. You will be able to give your pet some items, such as healing potions, which it will use by itself, when needed.

9. When the pet dies, it will lose all the items.

10. There will be some combat settings for the pet, for example cautious, normal or aggressive. A cautious will only attack weaker monsters, while an aggressive pet will attack anything it can find. Probably there will also be a setting to tell the pet if you want it to attack only those you are fighting with, or anyone that is not an ally.

11. Leveling up: This is the tricky part, where I want some feedback. There will be a few things to help level the fighter pet:

a. Food. The more time he is around, the more he will be able to level.

b. Pet exp stones (which will increase the pet exp), and will be buyable from the NPC.

c. Killing enemies. There should be a way to avoid people with pets competing with newbies over the rabbit-goblin spawns, so perhaps only stronger monsters than the pet will count for exp. purposes.

Probably, a level will take all 3 of the above mentioned things. For example, to move to level 2, a pet will need to be summoned for at least 1 hour, kill 20 monsters, and get 10 pet exp stones. Of course, the numbers are PIOMA (pulled in out of my ass), and they will need some careful consideration.

So, what do you think? Any ideas? Please notice that we are talking about the fighting pet here, not the pets in general. Any questions/suggestion about pets in general will be deleted, and the poster will be suspended from the forums for a few weeks.

I think that: the pets should not level up, but be an 'ant' as they are called.

You will have 2 weeks off the forum to reconsider.

I think for leveling the pet should kill a certain kind of creature and not just any random creature. Ex. Lvl. 2= 1 hr 10 xp stones and 20 rabbits

Pets can only fight with monsters or other pets?

(I think of the situation like where two players pet pvp with each other).

Edited by csiga

I have been testing out another game recently and they have Pets in it. For EL I would really like for leveling kinda like you said Ent, Must be active for certain peroid of time, Kill a number of things a certan level higher than itself, and a number of Exp stones. This way a high level player cant get a pet and level it all the way to ten in a few hours because they have tons of GCs. I think this way it would require certain ammount of time and effort for each level of the Pet. Just my thoughts

Run

Pets can only fight with monsters or other pets?

(I think of the situation like where two players pet pvp with each other).

Kill anything, but since a ressurection stone will be like 1K, I am not sure if pets pvping is a great idea.

Besides, I can make it so if the pet dies, it also loses 1 kill.

I have seen 'pets' in other games I have played - while I think it is a good idea for some games im not too sure about here. I came to this game because it was diferent to others and had a uniqueness bout it. Im afriad if it goes to much like the others then I will not enjoy it as much, that is my concern at this point.

This game atracts people because it is not like others, maybe that is something to consider.

just my thoughts at ths time - ok now u can abuse or delete them

Tiz

I Love the idea!!!

When you don't have enough food for the pet, what happens? Will it unsummon, die, or completely vanish?

Will the pets be different animals, or only one kind of pet total

If only stronger monsters than the pet count for exp, how will it level without dying, especially in single-combat maps? O.o And that brings up another concern, if you bring a pet into a single-combat map, can it fight with you or not?

Here's an idea. Hide the npc with the pets in a secret place with weak monster spawns all around, and you can only use your level 1-? pets there to avoid competing with newbies elsewhere. Also make the area a pet-only fighting enviroment so owners are merely spectators unless they heal the pet.

Edited by Airakose

I think EXP stones buyable from NPC would be a great idea, however, I do not believe they should be essential for levelling the pet. They would merely be a quicker-route to new levels, but more expensive.

{New suggestion} Could the owner preform an action which would give the pet some of the EXP s/he has gained? An extremely small percentage of course, but it would mean people would go after the larger/stronger monsters (thus encouraging teamwork, and thus more breakages) together. Or, there could be some sort of 'set allowance' per kill, where for each monster the owner kills, (x) number of experience points (upon the creature's death) would be rewarded to the pet.

Would there be only one pet available at a time (ie owning multiple simultaneous pets)?

Would the pets be transferable between players?

Would the pets be shown on the player's stats page?

Can the pets be named at birth or would it be "LabRat's Pet"?

You can give the pet items but can you get the items back if the pet is about to die?

Can only pet items can be given to the pet (I think here of muling in particular)?

I love the sound of this, quit asking our opinions, get coding and give us what we have wanted for so long :)

Will these pets be able to use potions and/or spells to heal itself?

Will they be able to teleport or use rings to get from map to map?

will they be able to use armor or weapons?

Will there be special commands to control their behavior? (stay, attack, etc)

When you don't have enough food for the pet, what happens? Will it unsummon, die, or completely vanish?

Is there a difference between unsummon and vanish? :)

Will the pets be different animals, or only one kind of pet total
. Both. There will be an option to buy a p2p pet, which will look different, but will be otherwise identic with a free pet.

If only stronger monsters than the pet count for exp, how will it level without dying, especially in single-combat maps? O.o And that brings up another concern, if you bring a pet into a single-combat map, can it fight with you or not?

Use your imagination.

to 1.: why regulate pet possession with the price alone? a fighting pet's owner must have a certain level, let's say PIOMA (att+def)/2 > 45 and some animal control nexus or some pet mind controlling item that needs a certain other nexus to wear

to 9.: will the pet drop a bag with 100% item drop chance or will the items be lost completely?

There should also be special pet armor. And maybe like titanium plated claws and teeth for weapons

Edited by hobobob38

11. Leveling up: This is the tricky part, where I want some feedback. There will be a few things to help level the fighter pet:

c. Killing enemies. There should be a way to avoid people with pets competing with newbies over the rabbit-goblin spawns, so perhaps only stronger monsters than the pet will count for exp. purposes.

Probably, a level will take all 3 of the above mentioned things. For example, to move to level 2, a pet will need to be summoned for at least 1 hour, kill 20 monsters, and get 10 pet exp stones. Of course, the numbers are PIOMA (pulled in out of my ass), and they will need some careful consideration.

To avoid ppl competing with newbies over rabbit/goblin spawns pet could lvl only on pk maps from killing normal not-summoned monsters( to avoid abusing it on private guild maps when some1 could just summon rabbits for fast kills).

PK maps have wide range of creatures from male goblins to giants, and u could help pet with killing monsters as long as ur pet deals the last blow( u could use ur sword, spells or summons to weaken its opponent, u can always ask friends to help u too :)

I really am big fan of pets ingame so hope everything will work out and give players a lot of fun with raising pets and also using them :)

mp

Would there be only one pet available at a time (ie owning multiple simultaneous pets)?

Only one summoned at a time, but you cna have multiple pets.

Would the pets be transferable between players?

I don't know, but I tend to think they won't be.

Would the pets be shown on the player's stats page?

No

Can the pets be named at birth or would it be "LabRat's Pet"?

No, would create confusion.

You can give the pet items but can you get the items back if the pet is about to die?

No

Can only pet items can be given to the pet (I think here of muling in particular)?

No, any item will be givable, muling is not an issue. But I have no idea why you would want your fighter pet to mule stuff.

Pets can kill higher level creatures because they can use stuff to heal that you give them. I like the idea of cautious pets using dis rings and normal ones 50/50 on using dis rings and aggressive ones fighting until death. :) I think around 20 creatures of a higher level sounds fair. It won't be cheap because you have to remote heal your pet and/or it has to heal itself to take out the higher level creatures. I think you should be able to level without the NPC experience stones but with twice the number of kills. :) I think the amount of time a pet has to be active to level should go up with each level too.

Tirun

PS The highest level fighter in game is around 150 a/d right? Take that and divide by 10. 15 levels. Each pet level is limited by your character a/d level. A+D/2 and 15 levels at a time gets this:

1-15 you can raise a pet to level 1.

16-30 you can raise a pet to level 2.

31-45 you can raise a pet to level 3.

46-60 you can raise a pet to level 4.

61-76 you can raise a pet to level 5.

etc...

This would give higher a/d level players more of an advanatage in PK if they want to risk their pets. Very high cost experience stones or just actual level stones could work around this limitation. This would mean levels would be even more important in PK than they are now. :P

Edited by TirunCollimdus

The place to buy the eggs; available on both C1 and C2, or just one of them?

I'm thinking perhaps, the higher level or the stronger the pet is, the more food it needs? (If possible?)

I personally don't like the idea of the "exp stones", simply because its a fighting pet. If the owner wants the fighting pet to be stronger, it needs to fight. I like the rest of how you've thought about the level-ups though.

What will be the effect of pets on PK? Would the pets attack each other, or the owner of the other pet? Is it possible to control this, or only whether or not it fights in general? (I'm imagining Pet Wars, but maybe not.)

*Edit: sorry if any of these were answered, people posted while I was typing (of course) :)

Edited by SirAlland

I see great potential in this! just think about cockfights between pets! It would be great to have a small cockfight-arena where people could let their pets fight each other and other people could bet on it, etc. Maybe even an NPC could be placed there, with a pet fight lottery (just think about the money sink potential here *hint*).

My second suggestion: People have to do a quest first, in order to get the pet. The quest would be on c2 in a dangerous place and would require some effort. The idea would be to "domesticate" your pet first. In order to do that, you'd need to fulfill a number of tasks. This would a) make the whole process more interesting and fun b ) keep the liliac seller newly rich newbies away from the pets c) would add another quest d) could populate/attract more people to an empty map.

edit: typo(s)

Edited by kl4Uz

Thinking about it, why whould a fighter buy a pet for 100-200kgc? It should be quite strong and helpful for that price. It would be sad if they wouldn't be really useable. Anyway, I have 1 question, once you buy a pet, can you lose it? You can resurrect it when it dies, so I guess it will be something you can hold forever?

To avoid ppl competing with newbies over rabbit/goblin spawns pet could lvl only on pk maps from killing normal not-summoned monsters( to avoid abusing it on private guild maps when some1 could just summon rabbits for fast kills).

PK maps have wide range of creatures from male goblins to giants, and u could help pet with killing monsters as long as ur pet deals the last blow( u could use ur sword, spells or summons to weaken its opponent, u can always ask friends to help u too :)

That's a good idea, especially for the fighter pet (which I would assume will be used mainly for PKing).

Speaking of which, maybe the fighter pets should not be able to level more than the owner (a+d)/20

So to have a level 10 (max) fighter pet, you'd need 100 a/d.

Could the pets xp be linked with what the owner recieves?

So if the owner has a large a/d the pet will need to combat higher level creatures to gain any kills that count towards it gaining a level.

So for a orc hunters pet to gain xp he would have to take it with him when he is fighting orcs and try very hard to keep it alive.

This would add a new use to the multi combat maps as pets and owners can tag team monsters.

Of course when you start getting to the very higher level creatures this might not work out quite so well, but then if the pet can be equiped with potions and the like it may be possible. perhaps a restore pet spell. as an example That functions like restoration but works on your pet

Or if monsters themselves ignore pets over players or So if Mrs Fighter and her pet are battling a Giant the giant will ignore the pet and fight Mrs fighter and when/if she dies/disses/etc then the giant bashes the pet in.

Whilst both pet and player are fighting the player only recieves 1/2 the usual attack defence xp (another incentive to use the pet to fight higher level creatures than lower ones)

Will these pets be able to use potions and/or spells to heal itself?

Yes, I already mentioned that. No spells though (for the fighter pet).

Will they be able to teleport or use rings to get from map to map?

Not sure yet.

will they be able to use armor or weapons?

Not sure yet, maybe special weapons/armors.

Will there be special commands to control their behavior? (stay, attack, etc)

Yes, to some extent.

Could the pets xp be linked with what the owner recieves?

So if the owner has a large a/d the pet will need to combat higher level creatures to gain any kills that count towards it gaining a level.

Would make it too easy.

a. Food. The more time he is around, the more he will be able to level.

-What would stop someone from filling their inventory with pet food and going afk 2-8 hrs when going to bed or at work? Maybe it can modified so you would have to have a positive food level as well for this to work?

b. Pet exp stones (which will increase the pet exp), and will be buyable from the NPC.

-You could either have level specific pet stones (Item: Pet level 5 stone) or generic pet exp stones that give 500 or whatever exp to the pet exp category.

-I would rather have the pet have exp based levels rather than just killing 20 monsters or a type of monster since people could just wound a monster to low health and have pet finish off.

Edited by LevinMage