Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

What is your opinion about multiplaying?

Would you like to be able to multiplay?  

486 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to be able to multiplay?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't care
  2. 2. If the previous answer was yes, what kind of multiplaying would be ok?

• Economical only (trades, muling, item swaps)
    • Combat only (including PKing, magic)
    • Both of them
    • Neither (voted no)

Aislinn has really given this a lot of thought and is thinking outside of the box. I would not have wandered into such huge wholesale changes on my own so thanks Aislinn. You have given an alternative method of placing limitations on alts that with some work could be made into something that everyone would not scream and bitch about till the end of time.

I think the attribute cap/limitations would need some fiddling or some other way combined with a few other ideas but between Entropy's rules changes, Aislinn's ideas and possibly a few other ideas we could easily make multiplay a workable thing for EL. I like the idea of all of Aislinn's ideas being attached to alt's only so a player would have to declare their main character to the mods and all other characters would be created under alt rules though I don't know what kind of coding that would require.

There seems to be a need for multiplaying with the difficultly level continually increasing and the greater variety of things players want to do. Storage limitations are a big thing for me since I want to pursue all of the skills when I reset. There really is not huge calamity around the corner. Multiplaying might have been a bad idea a long time ago but the game is so different than it was that trying to compare the multiplay situation between then and now is like apples and oranges. They just don't have anything to do with each other. Let's give this a try and see how it goes. ;)

TirunCollimdus

Due to past instances, I feel the urge to bring up the following so the right people understand the players vote...

We are being asked to vote on the issue of multiplaying based on todays current game. We are not voting on give a little take a little...

I wish i had asked before I voted.

If they exist, please inform us of the "catch" being considered that we aren't being told that potentially could be imposed if multiplay is allowed. I have a feeling This vote would not be so close if that was to be disclosed.

LuciferX

Due to past instances, I feel the urge to bring up the following so the right people understand the players vote...

We are being asked to vote on the issue of multiplaying based on todays current game. We are not voting on give a little take a little...

I wish i had asked before I voted.

If they exist, please inform us of the "catch" being considered that we aren't being told that potentially could be imposed if multiplay is allowed. I have a feeling This vote would not be so close if that was to be disclosed.

LuciferX

my thoughts exactly, if potential allowance of multiplay will b a gateway to impose such things as level and attribute caps and more difficult leveling and pp distribution, then this would be a different thing alltogether, but if i am being asked based on todays EL then i vote yes , BUT if severe changes will be made to impose this i would say no

Hmmm... well, I'm still pretty new to EL, but from the way I see it, the Multiplay Rule seems to be the primary deterrent for 3rd Party RMT, that is companies outside of EL Development who make GC to sell for RL money.

These people are the bane of any MMO economy, and if the Multiplay Rule keeps them out I would have to vote no on this poll (I'm abstaining). If there are other ways of keeping 3rd Party RMT out that I am not seeing which have no relation to the Multiplay Rule, then I would consider a yes. I don't even know if RMTs even care about this game...

I just don't want to see some gang of uber chinese dudes camping/serping every Fluffy spawn and hiking the price of NMT up to 2 mil, because that's what might happen if RMT enters the building.

my thoughts exactly, if potential allowance of multiplay will b a gateway to impose such things as level and attribute caps and more difficult leveling and pp distribution, then this would be a different thing alltogether, but if i am being asked based on todays EL then i vote yes , BUT if severe changes will be made to impose this i would say no

You were not asked based on anything. Nothing said "if EL stayed the same" and nothing said "if EL imposed severe drastic changes". As you notice, many people posted and explained their vote was conditional on certain conditions/restrictions.

I was offering my 2 cents worth just as everyone else here has. I personally would like to see it this way. I have no idea how hard it would be to do it, or if all of it could or would be done or none of it. This is my opinion based on 3 and a half years of playing, and almost 3 of them modding and dealing with illegal multi every day.

You were not asked based on anything. Nothing said "if EL stayed the same" and nothing said "if EL imposed severe drastic changes".

However the poll question is asked with the game being as it is right now.

Giving your thoughts/ideas on other things was never asked for, but it can't hurt being on topic :)

I like the idea of all of Aislinn's ideas being attached to alt's only so a player would have to declare their main character to the mods and all other characters would be created under alt rules

That is impossible.

I am totally FOR this, and reason is so simple - one person cannot control easily two or more characters, however You guys are profound with computers. Even if someone has more than one character, the development will be slowed down CONSIDERABLY. I know just one person (top50 player) who developed an alternate character into top100, and I must admit I really respect it because it requires months of hard work.

Why people had/have alternate characters?

1) They need more resources and cannot or will not pay for them, instead they want to work hard to get necessary ingrediences by themselves, and thay need more than one character. I do not see anything bad here, and as a person who studies (partially) economics/management I also think this would not affect Draia's economy because these persons will simply sell their (higher level, though) products, and invest their money for some (higher level as well) half-products.

2) Second type of alternate characters are scammers, and I do not need to comment this. I've felt this on my skin - few alternate characters were wondering SKF for weeks, trying to find some DBs... No idea if it is still "in" - I do not go to SKF so often now.

3) The last type of alts is kinda special - because sometimes one person wants to (ROLE)play two different characters, for some reasons. Usually of different race, different features (hair/color/etc).

All in all, I have the feeling that EL would just benefit from multiplaying, if we excuse the scammers. Since Radu said there will be some anti-scamm rules, I think it would be totally OK to have multiplaying in the game.

Edited by Dejan

For Example;

A player is selling 5,000 Fire Essences. She/He posts on the market channel. And is flooded with PMs (not sure if this would happen...?)

Several players would possibly offer 15-18k. Why? Because this is the normal price for Fire Essence.

But what if you have (say an engineerer) someone who REALLY wants those FEs, and doesn't care much for gc, because she/he is sitting a pile of gc, so this person offers say 20k.

Yep thats how it works in a perfect world, but just for arguements sake lets say this isnt a perfect world.

lets take your example:

Player is selling 5k fe's , post on market channel, get no buyers . hmmmm he wonders why . o right thats it now with multi-playing instead of 30 players making 60k fe's a week there is now 60 players/alts making 120k fe's a week and the market has become saturated by people trying to make money ..

I personaly dont think prices will go up, yep more chars will need items but also more items will be made. so the price might level out the same as it is now or lower ( depending on the item )

Edit:

Reading certain post i get the idea people think they every alt will need titanium armour and COLs and that it will be a boom time for the EL economy.

Maybe its me being cynical but IMO the majority of alts will have no other purpose than to make money for the players main char, so will only need the bare minimiun items

Edited by conavar

For Example;

A player is selling 5,000 Fire Essences. She/He posts on the market channel. And is flooded with PMs (not sure if this would happen...?)

Several players would possibly offer 15-18k. Why? Because this is the normal price for Fire Essence.

But what if you have (say an engineerer) someone who REALLY wants those FEs, and doesn't care much for gc, because she/he is sitting a pile of gc, so this person offers say 20k.

Yep thats how it works in a perfect world, but just for arguements sake lets say this isnt a perfect world.

lets take your example:

Player is selling 5k fe's , post on market channel, get no buyers . hmmmm he wonders why . o right thats it now with multi-playing instead of 30 players making 60k fe's a week there is now 60 players/alts making 120k fe's a week and the market has become saturated by people trying to make money ..

I personaly dont think prices will go up, yep more chars will need items but also more items will be made. so the price might level out the same as it is now or lower ( depending on the item )

Edit:

Reading certain post i get the idea people think they every alt will need titanium armour and COLs and that it will be a boom time for the EL economy.

Maybe its me being cynical but IMO the majority of alts will have no other purpose than to make money for the players main char, so will only need the bare minimiun items

A bare minimum of items in this instance would be a great deal of EMU, which STILL requires a hellova lot of time and effort for that alone. And if the alt is mining then a COL is not so out of the question as a necessity, since most miners invest in one to counter the random events damage. As to your idea of there being 120k fe instead of 60k fe, well, with the alts needing levelling, they would be USING more as well, so that would cut your 120k fe down somewhat.

This point has already been covered several times in the thread though, that training of alts would in fact be impacting the negative results of those alts being able to get more harvestables, and NOT impacting the economy as directly as at first assumed.

A bare minimum of items in this instance would be a great deal of EMU, which STILL requires a hellova lot of time and effort for that alone.

You can make an alt with 800 emu within a week without doing a lot of work. Just give it a lot of neg perks and let it harvest all time. It will have 800emu within 2-3 days.

Hi all! I am totally against multiplaying coz ppls can make use of alts for their own benefits, but as many of us like me has separate comps and on same router which has same IP, we cant help our own familes really is not good. I think if there was anyway to make this legal that we can play with our families like regular players would be better. But I dont mean ppls having alt can help themselves to grow their Main char, I am totally against it. :P

Even with 800 emu, it still takes a long time to empty something like a 30k bag of iron ores, and thats WITH additional help from fellow players/guildmates.

But I take your point.

I say Economical Only, It would Improve the Economy and make it thrive even more and I believe theres a pleasure of earning cash on EL and if that Multi-playing was to be allowed I think it would sure give me a pleasure of making, creating and interacting with myself. Sounds weird I know but it makes sense to ones self.

I really don't understand why people have problems with their family playing. I have three children that wanted to play. PRIOR to creating their characters I informed the mods of what we wanted. I was very open with our intentions. I have since had NO problems and did some limited trading as I would and have any character in game. (Yes I am a mean mommy and made my kids trade fair for what I gave them). Our guild then decided we needed a bot.... once again I informed the mods. I NEVER had an issue with the creation or leveling of the bot as we were open and honest about what we were doing and we did not use her for illegal gain.

I like the rules as they are. I DO understand that all things change and I am great at rolling with the punches. Having said that, however, as we are only posting opinions, creating a character to mule for you, lure someone into a pk situation, hold your ings for you in storage, db sit, etc would make for too much illegality and ill gotten gain as well as lose the spirit of true teamwork.

And there is my two cents, probably worth a little less :P

Regardless of what is decided, this game rocks and I can't see anyone letting it change enough to hurt the community, no matter what the changes are. The developers have worked way to hard for that to happen.

Thank you for your time.

TessAnna

Edited by TessAnna

Even with 800 emu, it still takes a long time to empty something like a 30k bag of iron ores, and thats WITH additional help from fellow players/guildmates.

But I take your point.

Well for such a things it's true, but let it just harvest and let it bring his harvests to storage each time. And while harvesting you keep gaining levels, so within 2-3 weeks or so you have 1k emu. And with 1k emu you can gather a very nice amount of resources.

I say Economical Only, It would Improve the Economy and make it thrive even more and I believe theres a pleasure of earning cash on EL and if that Multi-playing was to be allowed I think it would sure give me a pleasure of making, creating and interacting with myself. Sounds weird I know but it makes sense to ones self.

Lol Funny statement :w00t::(:)

I am not going to do it because everyone is ignoring it. Muling alts are not free. If you want to though you can add up the price of all of the harvesting books in game and see the price. They have to be able to read them too. That would take forever with a 4 rationality. You have either a crown of life and fast regen or you have HEs and restoration to make a harvester viable. Even with fast regen if you are doing titanium or diamonds you can still wind up needing to heal with fast regen and a crown of life if mother nature is after you. You have to have the nexus as well as read the books.

Yes multiplay does make the game easier but you still have to put in the effort to make it easier. The game does not play your alts for you. You have to keep the alt harvesting. You have to make sure the alt does not die. You have to take the alt to storage and back to the mining area. The idea is that the game is massively more complex than it used to be. Thousands more ingredients are required to make items. The fact that automix was added proves that the old ways of doing things is too slow and too hard. This is just a natural progression of the game.

There are lots of people who have lots of different advantages in this game and there always will be. The game is simply stagnant. Everyone feels their gear is too precious to use. They only use it when they have NMT or they only use it during invasions with rostos or only for PK, only for harvesting etc... People being able to afford using stuff means they can afford to replace stuff. What is wrong with that? Actually able to afford to play the game?? That is bad? Everyone is not going to suddenly be able to make everything they need. Everyone is not going to suddenly be able to make everything. No one is going to suddenly have all of the ings they need for everything. This is not going to be an instant nightmare no matter how loudly some people scream about the ability of one player to ruin the game.

Give this a try and take the burden off of families and friends who play together. Take the burdens off of the mods so the only multiplayers they have to catch are the scammers. Let people work as hard as they want to get ahead in the game. There is no way multiplay is going to harm the community. Everyone is here because of the community so it is not getting abandoned any time soon. That is just wildy dramatic overstatement trying to influence votes. Vote yes and see how it goes. :)

TirunCollimdus

If you are open and up front about your family and if you are fair in your play, you can "release some of the burden on the mods". :)

(oops, look! I left another cent!)

TessAnna

I have watched this thread with great intreset. I really thought most people would convey a voice of reason. And for the most part that is true. Multi-Playing in the way suggested is a bad idea. It is very good for the people that own a few computers, collect a welfare check, or have a wealthy Mommy or Daddy that supports the EL addictions. Very difficult for people that work full time jobs, or spend their days getting a proper education. For the most part it is difficult enough for a employed/family person to dedicate the time needed to compete with the dollar players. If given the oppertunity to play multible charaters, and multible clinets on multible computers. It will deminish the sense of hope that many of us share of being someday capable of being competive as a top player in any of the skills in game. The EL comunity is a very good one. If the people with all the time in the world, and a few machines running multible clinets can give thir main GC/Items it would give them such a great advantage that most more modest folk will quit playing EL and check out some of the other top 5 MMORGF's. This is my humble opinion.

Regards

Felessan, you are missing a point, to be a top player in any area you have to dedicate all your time to that skill and you dont have time for alts. Talk to the top people I bet few have alts or alts that can do anything.

What you will find for the maker types is that they have an army of other players who supply materiels because they cant even gather them themselves to stay at the top

So before you say it will help those evil rich well it will not - only their suppliers. Being top is all about time/dedication and single mindedness. If you are a general list it will be very difficult to compete.

Flinto, i was top1 oa for many months, and also top1 def for some months, and i asure u, u have no idea what r u talking about ;)

:w00t:

Go masterpiter :):(

it would be unfair, mainly because i've tried it and i can log on 10 characters and still play. so using this you could have 9 characters harvest money and 1 gaining skills

I am not going to do it because everyone is ignoring it. Muling alts are not free. If you want to though you can add up the price of all of the harvesting books in game and see the price. They have to be able to read them too. That would take forever with a 4 rationality. You have either a crown of life and fast regen or you have HEs and restoration to make a harvester viable. Even with fast regen if you are doing titanium or diamonds you can still wind up needing to heal with fast regen and a crown of life if mother nature is after you. You have to have the nexus as well as read the books.

. There is no way multiplay is going to harm the community. Everyone is here because of the community so it is not getting abandoned any time soon. That is just wildy dramatic overstatement trying to influence votes. Vote yes and see how it goes. :)

TirunCollimdus

hmmm Muling Alts not free, that all depends on if the player just wants his alt to be money making machines,and if yes then yep they are free.It only takes a few hours to train a character to be good enough to just plonk him in VOTD and then just harv flowers for fower seller, only item that might be needed is a Harv cape and where would he get that from . well im sure that most players main char can afford a few spare harv capes, so the alt doesnt even have to earn the money for that himself.

as for the books.you seem to be forgetting that a lot of books are now monster drops, before i sold them this week i had 30 differant knowledge books in sto (all free from drops) which if i had an alt and could have traded with him/her would have gone to them.

Now i am 100% behind familys playing together and some way should be possible to allow this and im also happy if player wants an alt to train to do differant things and try other aspects of the game. Ie: A crafter makes an alt just for the purpose of training him properly and trying Pking .

Like ive said before maybe its me being cynical but i think that the majority of alts will just be made to be stuck harving flowers for cash.

Note: I dont care about the economical side personally. I dont care if player A is richer than me or is a evil RL rich person, as long as i have enough money to do what i need to do then im happy.

That is just wildy dramatic overstatement trying to influence votes. Vote yes and see how it goes. :)

That made me chuckle , So telling people to vote yes isnt trying to influence votes :)

Felessan, you are missing a point, to be a top player in any area you have to dedicate all your time to that skill and you dont have time for alts. Talk to the top people I bet few have alts or alts that can do anything.

I myself am bouncing between no. 1 and 2 craft, so I guess you could call me a 'top player' in that area. So far I'm also no. 10 alchemy - not because I ever wanted to be an 'alchemist', but because for a long time I made all my own essences/bars. For both craft and a/d (my a/d are both > 100 as well).

Besides my main character I have a few alts. I don't play them a lot anymore lately, for different reasons, but I've used a few, to try other things, to 'take a break'. Legitimate alts all btw :). My highest alt (made to summon a bit and fight more without the nexus my main has), with OA at 60, has a/d in 40's and harv/alch in 30's. Another alt is a pure alchemist, harv and alch in 30's as well. And then I have a few more 'little siblings'.

So yeah, not completely unused or unable to do anything. I just don't play them a lot... but when the multiplay as meant in this topic would be allowed, I could use mainly the harv/alch one quite a lot to gather resources. Just mine, while I can spend more time crafting, or even do some other skill for a change :)

I wouldn't actually be *playing* them though, like I said in my earlier post, I'd be running them on the background. They wouldn't engage in local chat, or interact with others in some way then. But yeah, I could profit from my alts. And yes, I have had time to play alts, at least to a 'useful' level. Not 2 top charactes maybe, but the alts don't need to be at the top to be useful.