Eternal Lands Official Forums

Icy: Well, for starters, I can see that you're using the transparency resolution fix option; did you not check what that option is for? Do you really need it? I run on an I845, and I certainly don't. As far as I know, so far, only Ttlanhil has shown a need for it.

Can you give me information about your client?

Looking at the code, a piece of code that I said a while back would probably cause crashes when NEW_E3D is enabled is still in there in draw_3d_object_shadows...

#ifdef NEW_E3D_FORMAT   // Always supplies a texture pointer
	glEnableClientState(GL_COLOR_ARRAY);
	glEnable(GL_TEXTURE_2D);

Someone who has shadow crashes want to take this line out and see if they still crash? Even if this isn't *the* problem, I don't see how this isn't *a* problem.

#ifdef NEW_E3D_FORMAT // Always supplies a texture pointer

//glEnableClientState(GL_COLOR_ARRAY);

glEnable(GL_TEXTURE_2D);

That did the trick for me... I have tried to rotate and walk around irinveron for minutes without a crash. I recompiled without the // and I ended up crashing after 1 camera rotation... And now I compiled again with // and no crash so far.

Good job as always KarenRei=)

Also I can confirm that the tables that were invisible are now visible or gone so no problem in Port Anitora for me anymore.

Edited by Beaverhunter

didn't help. I updated, rebuilt, logged on (test server), boat to WS, turned shadow mapping off, clicked DP flag, and when the progress bar was at full, had it crash (with the same back-trace as previously, with the shadow mapping on in irinveron)

ed: it's highly consistent. ws->dp (and not the other way around) with shadows on, and shadow mapping off, will cause a crash. and funnily enough, the backtrace shows that the same numbers are present as in the previous crashes

#0  0x00002b2f3ebf97b3 in _nv000052gl () from /usr/lib/libGLcore.so.1
No symbol table info available.
#1  0x00002b2f3ec64e21 in _nv000052gl () from /usr/lib/libGLcore.so.1
#2  0x00002b2f3ec5ea55 in _nv000052gl () from /usr/lib/libGLcore.so.1
#3  0x00002b2f3ec60009 in _nv000052gl () from /usr/lib/libGLcore.so.1
#4  0x00002b2f3e95ae98 in _nv000061gl () from /usr/lib/libGLcore.so.1
#5  0x000000000042515d in render_submesh (meshId=0, submeshCount=1, pCalRenderer=0x8a70370, meshVertices=0x7d24e0,
meshNormals=0x77a6a0, meshTextureCoordinates=0x73fd20, meshFaces=0x6ad560) at cal.c:199
	submeshId = 0
	vertexCount = 171
	textureCoordinateCount = 171
	faceCount = 208
#6  0x0000000000425cdd in cal_render_actor (act=0x9428c50) at cal.c:376
	pCalRenderer = (class CalRenderer *) 0x8a70370
	meshCount = 4
	meshId = 0
	submeshCount = 1

etc

0   <<00000000>> 	0x161788b5 0 + 370641077
1   GLEngine				 	0x11854199 gleDrawArraysOrElements_Core + 157
2   GLEngine				 	0x118d89e1 gleDrawArraysOrElements_IMM_Exec + 762
3   libGL.dylib				  0x92b20468 glDrawElements + 104
4   com.yourcompany.el_osx   	0x0003108a render_submesh + 374 (cal.c:174)
5   com.yourcompany.el_osx   	0x00031ccd cal_render_actor + 3097 (cal.c:370)
6   com.yourcompany.el_osx   	0x000ba6dc draw_enhanced_actor_shadow + 540 (shadows.c:588)
7   com.yourcompany.el_osx   	0x000baa67 display_actors_shadow + 263 (shadows.c:640)
8   com.yourcompany.el_osx   	0x000babc6 display_shadows + 253 (shadows.c:702)
9   com.yourcompany.el_osx   	0x000bc1c8 draw_sun_shadowed_scene + 1319 (shadows.c:1189)
10  com.yourcompany.el_osx   	0x00061e98 display_game_handler + 1429 (gamewin.c:643)
11  com.yourcompany.el_osx   	0x00051d8d draw_window + 643 (elwindows.c:1054)
12  com.yourcompany.el_osx   	0x0005264d display_window + 209 (elwindows.c:1202)
13  com.yourcompany.el_osx   	0x0004ec53 display_windows + 223 (elwindows.c:57)
14  com.yourcompany.el_osx   	0x00045007 draw_scene + 440 (draw_scene.c:102)
15  com.yourcompany.el_osx   	0x00084ac2 start_rendering + 408 (main.c:128)
16  com.yourcompany.el_osx   	0x00084e3d SDL_main + 103 (main.c:241)
17  com.yourcompany.el_osx   	0x00191775 -[SDLMain applicationDidFinishLaunching:] + 117 (SDLmain.m:197)

Hmm, looks like the crash on OSX has kind of the same stack trace. cal_render_actor and render_submesh

SIMPLE_LOD is enabled, I'll try w/o

/EDIT: w/o SIMPLE_LOD I changed maps WS->DP->WS like 20 times an no crash. I'll try without all the DEBUG flags now

/EDIT2: w/o SIMPLE_LOD, w/o DEBUG flags, with -O3 and other compiler optimizations options: no crash :P

Edited by Florian

Looking at the code, a piece of code that I said a while back would probably cause crashes when NEW_E3D is enabled is still in there in draw_3d_object_shadows...
worksforme :P even with -DSIMPLE_LOD back on, I can take the boat from WS to DP without a crash, so I think you found the problem (meh, no wonder looking at all the opengl stuff makes me go back to working on other code :P )

also, eye-candy is still spitting a lot onto STDOUT... do you think it's worth changing EC_DEBUG from a const int to a -D (preferably before the client update)?

worksforme :P even with -DSIMPLE_LOD back on,...

Same here, no more crashes at The_Piper's place. May be someone should erect a plaque, "shadow crash bug finally laid to rest here". We have to be optimistic about these things :P

i am at molgor storage in votd and tried to put mercury in storage that i just picked up. but i get the message "you cannot deposite that item into storage"

I also see no mecury in storage though there should be.

i am at molgor storage in votd and tried to put mercury in storage that i just picked up. but i get the message "you cannot deposite that item into storage"

I also see no mecury in storage though there should be.

It's considered hazardous and thus can only be deposited and withdrawn at one special storage per continent :P

edit: and it appears in a special storage category there.

Edited by Ermabwed

Same here, no more shadow crashes after commenting out glEnableClientState in shadows.c.

Vial table bug in Anitora fixed as well. However, a bit further (You are in Port Anitora [230,195]) the 2nd shield from the left on front of the table flickers and disappears under certain angles. More with daylight (was there for day/night change) but still very noticable at night, not affected by shadows.

Just noticed on main server, minor typo fix:

English: Today there is an increased chance to triger random harvesting events.

Should be trigger.

Edited by RallosZek

Try playing with your settings, first try the poor man, see if ti works, then try other things as well. If you find something that works, let us know.

KarenRei

Icy: Well, for starters, I can see that you're using the transparency resolution fix option; did you not check what that option is for? Do you really need it? I run on an I845, and I certainly don't. As far as I know, so far, only Ttlanhil has shown a need for it.

Can you give me information about your client?

I tried everything I could think of before I posted and I am sure CelticLady did too since she always does. I used poor man and turned off every single thing on all four tabs for the video stuff and cannot get this problem to go away. I even turned off the ATI and mouse bug things. I don't think I need the ATI bug thing on anyway but I tried everything on and off and just cannot get the problem fixed. I will talk to CelticLady in game and see if I can get her to repost too with any new information.

__Icy__

Standing on Zirankinbar's harbor [304 77] I can't take the boat to Aeth Aelfan. From other side taking a boat to Zirankingbar from AA docks works :)

I never really knew what ttlanhil was describing, but I've noticed that without this option the pillar on the various teleporters has a greenish tint to it. So, I'm likely seeing the same problem as ttlanhil was originally.

Card: GeForce 6800GT

Drivers: NVIDIA 87.76

While that table/boxes issue in PA was solved, the shadowing issue remains:

Port Anitora 260,200

My actor shadow is correct (unless I am walking on a bridge then it is on the water rather than the bridge). The torch and sign shadows extend directly into the ground, and when I rotate they continue to point straight down. The boxes have no shadowing and appear to be floating due to it. I have no idea what is throwing that huge shadow on the lower left.

Oh, and those gold things on the rug are upside down baskets. In the shadow at the edge of the rug you can see the handle of the basket. This "I can see into the ground" effect is best illustrated here:

The tree stump has a "shadow" of the entire tree object below it. The fallen tree also has this effect. Idaloran 122,312.

0ctane, you're looking at the non-shadowmapping-shadows. These will always cause such problems, please don't report them as bugs. These are the "old shadows" and yes, they do crappy things like this. We're planning to totally get rid of this shadow option.

0ctane, you're looking at the non-shadowmapping-shadows. These will always cause such problems, please don't report them as bugs. These are the "old shadows" and yes, they do crappy things like this. We're planning to totally get rid of this shadow option.

Sorry, but you do not seem to understand. First, these "old shadows" worked just fine before the switch to NEW_E3D_FORMAT. In fact, the first RC without NEW_E3D_FORMAT was fine. They did not always cause such problems. It is a bug.

Second, as I have already mentioned, shadow mapping causes system freezes on Macs (at least the intel variety since I have not tested it lately on PowerPC ones). Therefore, use of shadow mapping is not a possibility right now for Mac users. I am not particularly fond of testing such a dangerous bug on a $2k computer that I also use for RL work.

Third, when is the planned removal of this shadow option? Are Mac users now just expected to not use shadowing for this release?

Fourth, there are a number of Mac users out there with pretty crappy graphics cards. It is not their fault that Apple has only recently decided to use better graphics. I suspect they do not have framebuffer support (which also does not work since the last release), and they would have pretty crappy frame rates with shadow mapping (if their cards could even support it). I thought we always wanted to support low end machines. Sure, there is a limit to what we support....

I have a client now compiled without -DSIMPLE_LOD and the crash in NC is gone.

Its daytime, so there are shadows, shadow mapping on or off doesnt matter.

Im going to check now the other places where the client crashes for me and see what happens.

Piper

Edit:

Tested Irinveron and Glacomor with shadow mapping on and off at daytime and no more crashes.

Edited by The_Piper

I downloaded the program and extracted it to a new folder without difficulty. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get it to work on my system. I have an AMD Athlon based IBM PC running Windows Me.

Starting EL.exe simply produced an alert box stating "El has caused an error in Kernel32.DLL"

When this alert box was closed another alert box stated "El has caused an error in WRAP_OAL.DLL"

Restarting the computer and trying again produced the same error messages.

Confirmed. My father's computer runs on Windows ME. It gave the same error. It had given the same error when I tried the previous RC as well.

And I agree. Someone should try and convince my dad to change his operating system :)

Edited by Sistema

Octane:

What Roja meant was probably what KarenRei has mentioned to be in her future todo list. Creating a system of shadow volumes or something like that, a whole "new" way of shadows. The current shadows are as I have understood due to KarenRei completely out of date and she is not very fond of working with the current system, and tries to avoid overworking it since it should have been replaced long ago. But for the upcoming release there is a feature freeze, rewriting the whole shadow system is a big feature. So right now I doubt you have to worry, a replacement will come when the switch of shadow system is at dawn.

The_Piper:

Please skip the SIMPLE_LOD part, all you need to do is read what has worked for me, ttlanhil and bluap... Comment 1 line out instead of taking away a whole feature. KarenRei is most likely working on commiting this change properly. But that crash is now history in my opinion, go find new crashes:D

Sistema:

I usually refered to my previous Win ME system as a virus, Win ME is not safe, stable or anything. It's Win 98 + Tons of unstable additions. Just upgrade to Win XP.

Edited by Beaverhunter

Coal no longer harvestable in ''coal" cave Arius [60 235].

Also you cant harvest ruby in Mount sorrow [135, 105]

But for the upcoming release there is a feature freeze, rewriting the whole shadow system is a big feature.

NEW_E3D_FORMAT? Feature freeze? Riiiiight.... Well, at least I now have Florian on board for testing out Mac code. Maybe she and I can figure this out since no one else is working on it. I suppose we can take the discussion elsewhere.

As others have mentioned, commenting out glEnableClientState(GL_COLOR_ARRAY) in shadows.c no longer causes client crashes between maps on my Mac. This was tested without SIMPLE_LOD. Maybe it should be committed?

Committed. :)

Re feature freeze: The term is flexible depending on whose "features" you're referring to :o

Re, shadows: If someone wants to work on fixing the old-style shadows, feel free. I don't feel like it because I plan to implement shadow volumes for next release, assuming I can get the other things on my list done in time.

Edited by KarenRei

Committed. :)

Re feature freeze: The term is flexible depending on whose "features" you're referring to :o

Re, shadows: If someone wants to work on fixing the old-style shadows, feel free. I don't feel like it because I plan to implement shadow volumes for next release, assuming I can get the other things on my list done in time.

Stop stop complaining, the NEW_E3D_FORMAT has been in a lot longer then EYE_CANDY. It's just that the map_editor didn't support it in the last client release and not Entropy & Roja have decided the format needs to be switched. The NEW_E3D_FORMAT was distributed in a previous test version long before the RC's as well.

I saw CelticLady posted about the black screens for Idaloran and Iscalrith storage. I have the same problem all through Iscalrith storage. I had problems with EVTR and Willowvine before the new client but not anymore. I still have a problem with the IotF igloo to Iscalrith as well. I have screenies but they are exactly the same as CelticLady's. I did notice that we both use Intel Onboard Video. Tirun has an actual video card and does not have this problem. I am posting a screenie for the Onboard Video though by way of comparison. No seems to have responded to CelticLady's post on the other thread and this is happening with the new client so I thought it needed a bump.

glinfo.jpg

Blackout.jpg

__Icy__ :o

Try playing with your settings, first try the poor man, see if ti works, then try other things as well. If you find something that works, let us know.

Ok, this is the loading info and #glinfo for my machine:

Log started at 2007-05-20 09:50:13 localtime (Pacific Daylight Time)

[09:50:13] Window size adjusted to 1070x785

[09:50:13] GL_ARB_multitexture extension found, using it.

[09:50:13] GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array extension found, using it.

[09:50:13] Couldn't find the GL_*_point_sprite extension, not using it...

[09:50:13] GL_ARB_texture_compression extension found, using it.

[09:50:13] GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc extension found, using it.

[09:50:13] GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap extension found, NOT using it...

[09:50:13] GL_ARB_shadow extension found, using it.

[09:50:13] Couldn't find the GL_EXT_framebuffer_object extension, not using it...

[09:50:13] GL_EXT_draw_range_elements extension found, using it.

[09:50:13] GL_ARB_fragment_program extension found, NOT using it...

[09:50:13] GL_ARB_vertex_program extension found, NOT using it...

[09:50:13] Couldn't find the OpenGL Shading Language extension, not using it...

[09:50:14] Point Particles disabled.

[09:50:14] Framebuffer disabled (need newer driver)

[09:50:18] Connecting to Server...

[09:50:19] Test Server!

[09:50:35] Video card: Intel 915G

[09:50:35] Vendor ID: Intel

[09:50:35] OpenGL Version: 1.4.0 - Build 4.14.10.3971

[09:50:35] Supported extensions: GL_ARB_depth_texture GL_ARB_fragment_program GL_ARB_multitexture GL_ARB_point_parameters GL_ARB_shadow GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp GL_ARB_texture_compression GL_ARB_texture_cube_map GL_ARB_texture_env_add GL_ARB_texture_env_combine GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3 GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar GL_ARB_transpose_matrix GL_ARB_vertex_program GL_ARB_window_pos GL_EXT_abgr GL_EXT_bgra GL_EXT_blend_color GL_EXT_blend_func_separate GL_EXT_blend_minmax GL_EXT_blend_subtract GL_EXT_clip_volume_hint GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array GL_EXT_cull_vertex GL_EXT_draw_range_elements GL_EXT_fog_coord GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays GL_EXT_packed_pixels GL_EXT_rescale_normal GL_EXT_secondary_color GL_EXT_separate_specular_color GL_EXT_shadow_funcs GL_EXT_stencil_two_side GL_EXT_stencil_wrap GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc GL_EXT_texture_env_add GL_EXT_texture_env_combine GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic GL_EXT_texture3D GL_3DFX_texture_compression_FXT1 GL_IBM_texture_mirrored_repeat GL_NV_blend_square GL_NV_texgen_reflection GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap GL_WIN_swap_hint

I just went and checked two of the locations in Idaloran that I was seeing black at and at the moment neither are showing black. I tried both the last RC and this one (RC 2). Now, with that said, it was night time when I had the issue of the screen mostly going black. So I will check again in a couple hours and see if it still happens.

As for playing around with the settings. I have the following settings on, everything else is off.

Details: Poor Man, Toggle Special Effects

Advanced Video: Compiled Vertex Array, Vertex Buffer Objects

Eye Candy: Enable Eye Candy, Use Fancy Smoke

Max eye candy framerate: 45

Min eye candy framerate: 20

Light columns: 15

Entropy, when I noticed these blackout spots, it only happens when you are facing certain directions. Once you rotate your view far enough the screen goes normal again. Here are two screen shots that I had posted on the last thread, look at the direction my view is facing. I am standing on the same spot.

Direction 1

Direction 2

Sundulana came to one of the spots I was on and verified that her screen went black too. I'm not sure if she has integrated Intel GPU as well or not.

Icy, when Tirun checked the locations to see if it was black, was it night or day?

Anyways, I will check again after it is night on test server and edit this with my findings.

I just checked Idaloran 269, 149. When rotating to certain angles (one being similar to yours facing the whole water) I get a brighter screen with more light rather than darker. But this is at 3:37, so maybe it gets lighter on night and darker on day?

But I have had this effect on other places to where it can go from dark to light in an instant so are you sure this is coord dependant? Tried to find any other spot with similar effect?

Also:

"Your graphic card supports the absolut minumin requirements for the next el release, but don't expect that you can use all features."

What's that all about? If 8800GTS is clasified as minimum... I really wonder what those built-in Intel GPUs are... It's amazing you can run EL at all=p

Edited by Beaverhunter

Regarding the old shadows and Macs:

Our reasoning behind wanting to remove the old shadows is:

If your computer is not powerful enough to support deepth map shadows, then you are going to get a pretty crappy frame rate with the stencil shadows anyway, so it's a better idea to disable the shadows altogether.

One other problem with them is that they are innacurate, and they were just a hack, from day one (the proper way is to project them on all the polygons, not only on the ground like we do, and that's very time consuming).

Besides, Florian reported that the shadows maps work on his computer, right? So problably it crashes on the Macs because of some bug in the code, not because of a hardware problem, so we have enough time to investigate that issue.

@Karen: Excellent job with fixing the shadow map crashes :o

Besides, Florian reported that the shadows maps work on his computer, right? So problably it crashes on the Macs because of some bug in the code, not because of a hardware problem, so we have enough time to investigate that issue.

Shadow maps work, for like 10 seconds. A bit longer if you're really lucky.

I didn't test the latest CVS with OpenGL color pointer patches.

The crash is somewhere very deep in OSX. All graphics output on OSX is rendered als OpenGL. Really, everyting. EL (with shadow maps) messes somewhere in those OpenGL depths and freezes all graphical output.

So testing EL basically means closing all other applications (currently 11) and after the crash I have to login remotely from my PC to shutdown and reboot the mac. Not funny.

There is an OpenGL debugger supplied by Apple, but I can't see the trace it collects, because all output is frozen. You see the problem there ...