Eternal Lands Official Forums
TriMoon

More Zoom-out level

sigh. so you didn't even bther going to look at the graphics problems, which I was trying to get you to see?

I will try again someday, i didnt dare to play long as i saw my char in a different spot and stats as i have on main server so didnt want to risk messing with it.

But i can tell you im using your other client now with p1 version, which is much better as the default...

Anyway the mere option satisfied me to vote for a "yes go for it" :icon13:

Hmmm I don't recall it being up for a vote.... :)

Was a figure of speak, meaning i liked it very much. so much i like it tobe in main distro ;)

Nevermind, was sarcasm.

Ummm... sarcasm is cool, but it has one big disadvantage - most people doesn't catch it ^_^

I would like to see a bit more zoom - just a bit. Perspective is fine, but after some changes in client (a bit larger visible area), my gfx hardware is too weak:(

Vanyel

PS.

lolz (just for you)

sigh. so you didn't even bther going to look at the graphics problems, which I was trying to get you to see?
I will try again someday, i didnt dare to play long as i saw my char in a different spot and stats as i have on main server so didnt want to risk messing with it.
oh, that. characters are copied from the main server to the test server now and then. it's not real-time, only when an admin does it (usually in bulk); probably back when ent was trying to get people to test the guild NPCs a while back. nothing you do on the test server can affect your character on the main server unless you break some serious rules (most rules don't apply on test server, because you can test stuff there, but if you make a client designed to flood out commands or whatever and you get caught...)
But i can tell you im using your other client now with p1 version, which is much better as the default...
as in the newer features that are coming in the next release, not related to zoom & such? or was there a change in camera freedom I forgot?

Nevermind, was sarcasm.
aislinn? sarcastic? how unusual :)

About explanation of test server: thx didnt know, i feel comfortabler now...

as in the newer features that are coming in the next release, not related to zoom & such? or was there a change in camera freedom I forgot?

Nope no freedom like that unfortunatly :D

Just the new features...

aislinn? sarcastic? how unusual ;)

Best way to beat sarcasm is by not understanding sarcasm (when in my favor :P )

*edit*

forgot some closing tags on quotes...

Edited by TriMoonâ„¢

It's necro time. :sneaky:

So, I made a client with a further zoom out and had a play on the test server.

At line 341 in draw_scene.c I changed the the new_zoom_level from 4.0 to 8.0.

Some screenies:

Current max zoom level:

normal_topdown.jpg

Modified max zoom level:

8zoom_topdown.jpg

Looking back over this thread, most of the reasons for not implementing this have been invalidated (eg. computer hardware is nearly 5 years newer now ;p) and the game has had changes/additions since then that further warrant a further zoom out (eg. WVF, ranging, instances).

But more important than any of that... the key thing that counters most any argument against a further zoom out; now, since the introduction of the extended camera, with the stock client in it's default installed form, you can rotate your camera straight to this:

normal_behind.jpg

...which shows areas/items/models much further away from you than basically any amount of increasing the camera distance from the player ever will.

I request a further zoom out please be reconsidered. I know many people will like it and feel it enhances their gaming experience.

Edited by Korrode

Yes please. I would LOVE extended zoom. For the simple reason that I'm a ranger. It's quite annoying to have such a limited screen of view and toying with my camera to get a dragon in seight or something.

If we ever get an EL client on a mobile device like a phone, that zoomed out look would most likely be very good. It would allow for a lower resolution set of textures which could be used to save space on the mobile device.

It might also be interesting with the normal client like he mentioned.

Interesting.

If we ever get an EL client on a mobile device like a phone, that zoomed out look would most likely be very good. It would allow for a lower resolution set of textures which could be used to save space on the mobile device.

Interesting.

Can you imagine what it would look like to zoom out that far and then squeeze it into a portable device? I'd have to squint to see myself! the Low res benefit comes from the low res of the screen, not an extreme zoom.

Interesting.

Can you imagine what it would look like to zoom out that far and then squeeze it into a portable device? I'd have to squint to see myself! the Low res benefit comes from the low res of the screen, not an extreme zoom.

Indeed.

Luckily for any situation like that, or simply for anyone who doesn't want to be that far zoomed out, they can just not zoom so far out. :>

Just make it variable in Option menu like the "Maximum viewing Distance"

Only if both Roja and Entropy approve it!

Will look into it after the update. Just have to make sure nothing looks bad with the map edges, and keeping it an option is good in case it slows some people's computers down or something.

For those of you that want this and have compiled a client with it, then please go around in all the maps, at the map edges, and see how things look there. That is one thing that can be a problem.

The extra zoom is very nice enabling me to see the tops of some features from above and giving a much larger perspective of a map, particularly some of the bigger outside maps. I haven't checked all maps, but I have noticed in some places zooming out this far allows you to see beyond the "skirt" map makers placed to hide elements from view. For instance, while seated at the table in Azaghâl's Castle in Zirakinbar, I can zoom out beyond the additional black tiles the map maker added to obscure the hidden features below the map. From where I'm seated, the walkable map edge is probably only 2 or 3 tiles farther out, but the skirt of black tiles extends considerably farther and as you can see, I can zoom out far enough to see past it and view the items below the map - this looks a little goofy I guess but isn't really a big deal, nor would I normally zoom out this far in such a small map.

Also, to test this, I modified both lines 340 & 341 in draw_scene.c changing new_zoom_level from 4.0 to 8.0. Changing only line 341 allowed me to zoom out, but not back in.

5325487247_1f0f78deba_b.jpg

I really like this extra zoom too and although the problem with seeing beyond the map skirt is an issue, you can already get a similar effect with the extended camera in some locations if you set the maximum tilt angle high (I have it at 90). A brief hunt round failed to find an example but I can continue looking if its important. It would be easy to add this extended zoom as an option (as suggested), set to the current value by default...

Roja said she was happy for this change to be committed to CVS. I've added a new option on the controls tab "Maximum Camera Zoom Out". The default is set to the original 4.0. The value can be changed in steps of 0.5 up to 8.0.