Eternal Lands Official Forums
Miiks

Small survey about EL and EL shop

Hiya!

I'm doing report about reasons why people use some products and decided to do it about EL and EL shop. I need you to answer ALL numbered questions, so please if you're not going to do it, don't answer at all.

Also if you don't want everyone to see your answers, you can forum PM them.

First I'd like to hear couple things about you. Anyway these are not mandatory questions but they'd make my work bit easier :)

- How old are you?

- Where do you live? (Country, no need to give exact address :P)

- Are you studying or working etc.?

- Do you have long history with computer games or is EL your "first love"?

So let's start with "real" questions:

1. The most important reason you play EL? (RL/EL friends, it's fun, you're just too addicted...)

2. Is there any other reasons you play?

3. How did you find the game?

4. How often do you play? (No need to tell how many hours you play in day, just tell if you play daily or few times a week etc.)

5. Have you tried any other MMORPG's and do you still play them? Why have you stayed in EL?

(I'm not interested if you play Counter Strike or something, just other MMORPG's)

6. Have you ever bought from EL shop? (Notice, if you paid someone gc to get you item or service from EL shop with RL money, it's also buying so please mention it. You get the product, Radu gets the $.)

If you haven't bought anything from shop, why? (Too expensive, no interesting products, you're too p00r...)

(Also notice this is just about official EL shop, I'm not interested if you bought gc or products from black market)

So thanks to everyone who bother to take part to this! :)

- I'm 20.

- Turkiye

- Studying

- EL is my first MMO game.

1- Community (alot of friends <3 love you all!)

2- I love to get know other cultures and people

3- MrGray showed me :P I hate you Gray!

4- As much as I can, but only weekends when I'm at school

5- Tried Knight Online, bored of killing something all day...

6- Yes I did :) Both bought from directly radu and have someone bought for me too.

-Kaddy

I'm almost 17

Romania

Studying

Huge history with computer games and MMOs

1. RL friends

2. Ask me in PM if you really want to know.

3. My brother is a computer programmer and he saw a few of Radu's posts on some forum.

4. Few hours a month.

5. I used to try every MMORPG that came in my way but eventually I became more picky but I still got to play 70% of the MMOs out there. (Guild Wars made the most lasting impression)

6. Everything I got from shop was with gc to $$. (lifetime p2p, about 5 or 6 colour changes and 2 name changes)

- Australia

- Studying full-time, working part-time

- EL is my one and only

1. community is still quite good

2. it's just very relaxing to play it after a full-on day

3. mpogd.com (was top 10 back then I think)

4. i play no more than an hour or two a day now

5. never tried any other mmorpg's

6. p2p

-Finland

-Student

-I've played (and still do) many other games, mostly RPGs and RTS-games but EL is the first MMORPG I've played

1. Friends, mostly old ones I've know for years but also some I've met recently.

2 Having fun, invasions, instances, PKing (mixing projects etc. too but I don't do them as often as I used to).

3. Some free MMO-list, I can't remember which site it was.

4. A lot, several hours almost every day.

5. Runescape on my brother's char for a while but, well, it sucked and I quit almost 6 years ago.

6. I had someone else pay for everything I got, no items, only char "services"(several 1 year p2p, now lifetime, one namechange, size change).

-germany

-student

-long history

1. simply addicted

2. -

3. Was looking for games in some repos, might have been LGDB

4. A lot, several hours almost every day.

5. Tried some other mmorpgs and still play lordswm and warpfire now and then(if browserbased games do count here). I stick with EL because it's free, it's fun and i have a character here that i already put much time into.

6. No. I like to play considering EL a "closed world". Also i'm too poor. XD

uk

employed

no comment

fun,friends,addiction

mix,invasion,training,annoying some players[muhahahaha]

my partner got me in

enough to enjoy it a lot

some,got bored fast and left

my pvp character and perhaps in future some rostos..

I'm currently a student in college, no longer currently playing. I live along the east coast of the US. I am studying. EL is my first MMO but I have played a lot of computer games.

I play EL because I find it a nice way to pass the time. I do something slightly entertaining and do not feel like I am wasting my time because I am progressing my character. I also play because I get to know people around the world that I normally would not meet had it not been for EL.

I found this game through my brother who in turned found it through happy penguin.

Over the past 2.5 years I had played daily with several month long breaks.

I have tried Planeshift, runescape, a tale in the desert, and etc. I do not play them anymore. And I stayed in EL for the same reason I play the game.

I have bought Lifetime p2p upgrade, and tit serp of ice via gc -> $ -> shop.

Hope this helps.

- U.S.

- Still in high school

- I played RS for a few years, quit playing that, and now pretty much all i play is EL

1. EL friends, im hopelessly addicted :P

2. Nope

3. I found it on one of those websites that lists a bunch of MMOs

4. Daily

5. At least 6, i dont still play them, same reason as in 1.

6. Nope, too poor :)

-UK (but still proud to be german :P)

-employed

-EL

1.idle guild friends and others around (the old ones of course)

2.doing everything at least i'll try maybe in another 4years hehe

3.i googled and found EL via luck

4.just couples of hours after work, when i have the time

5.none so far still stucked mostly to single role playing games like Elder Scrolls

6.some namechanges, P2P liftime and colorchange no clue, as its long ago since i did it

too old

Uk

Work

A long and loving relationship with all computer games since my 48k rubber keyed monstosity... ohh i miss that iconic squeeling sound as it loaded.

1. The most important reason you play EL?

It's fun.

Friends, helps keep me sane.

Word of mouth from a friend.

Everyday mostly

Does trying runescape for a min then giving up becasue it bored me.

Or playing dnd online for 2 mins and unistalling it as soon as they broke the original games rules so badly count? :) other than those 2 dismal attempts at a mmorpg no i havnt :P

I have got a few things from the shop (a few items, some character changes etc etc) I like it as a good way to help finance what is a great free game with out actually donating money. Give a little get a little.

Edited by Thyralax

- How old are you?

- Where do you live?

UK

Soon to begin studying again after 18 months of medical leave. I have done a little work during this period.

Played 2 real time strategy games and 1 first person shooter before I found EL, but EL was my biggest "love".

I used to play because I needed to escape reality. Now it's mainly to chat.

(Used to play because of) addiction/force of habit/boredom/the comfort of a world where I could be successful.

Depressed one evening, needing distraction, I googled for games and found this: http://osswin.sourceforge.net/games.html and out of all the games I tried, EL was the only one that could entertain me for a long time.

4. How often do you play?

I used to play every day, now it's once every month or two.

5. Have you tried any other MMORPG's and do you still play them? Why have you stayed in EL?

Not given any other MMO a real chance (always less than 5 minutes). I didn't want 2 life-destroying addictions rather than 1 :>

6. Have you ever bought from EL shop?

Yeah in total $330 worth of stuff if I remember rightly. I wanted to give something back to what was an important part of my life.

I was still at school for the first year that I played, not earning money, and so I thought there was no way I would ever buy something from the EL shop. It was a matter of principle almost, and also I was proud to say that everything I had on my character had been "worked" for. It would have felt like cheating to buy items. When I grew a bit older though and got a job, that attitude changed. I realised that radu deserves to be paid for his work and it's a wonderful gift to us that the game is free to play if you want.

How old are you?

19 years

Where do you live?

the Netherlands

Are you studying or working etc.?

I'm a full-time student with a part-time job (around 2-3 days a week work)

Do you have long history with computer games or is EL your "first love"?

uhh.. when i was like 10yrs old, I've been playing Jazz Jackrabbit non-stop ^^ Played Habbo and RuneScape a lot aswell

1. The most important reason you play EL? (RL/EL friends, it's fun, you're just too addicted...)

That must be the EL friends (that became RL friends aswell)

I guess all the stuff i collected & the skills i trained keeps me playing

I'm not sure, as i started playing around 4 years ago, but I think it was on some sort of MMORPG-list site

4. How often do you play? (No need to tell how many hours you play in day, just tell if you play daily or few times a week etc.)

every single day :P

I've tried lots of them, must be over 50 or so.. some of them i play every once in a while for a few days besides EL (running them both) but i always keep coming back to EL (question 1+2 are why i keep coming back to EL)

yep.. i bought a mousepad a couple of years ago, and iirc a couple of bindings, but I'm not 100% sure about that.

- Australia

- Working

- I started playing EL years ago at a friends place, so was the first PC game I ever played.

I played because EL was entertaining, and with all the different cultures in the game it was always fun to chat with someone who's foreign to you :P

Used to play for PK but it's not appealing anymore.

I saw a mate playing it and got interested.

An hour or so every few months.

I tried WoW after EL and I'm still currently playing it.

Spent over 100$ easy in name changes/p2p/colour changes

Guest Reiki

- United States

- Student

- I started playing Eternal Lands in 2005 but before that I played numerous others to try and find the right one

1. The most important reason you play EL? I play Eternal Lands because of the small player base and great community of players.

2. Is there any other reasons you play? Crafting system, and the ability to role-play.

3. How did you find the game? I googled "free mmorpg's" and searched from there.

4. How often do you play? I try to play every other day of the week usually 3 to 5 times a week

5. Have you tried any other mmorpg's and do you still play them? Why have you stayed in EL? I tried numerous other online games; Runescape, Ultima Online, Perfect World, Aika online, and World of Warcraft just to name a few. I still play a few of them mostly to get away from the repetitiveness of EL. Because of the people. With such a small player base its easy to get to know everyone and speak to people from all over the world.

6. Have you ever bought from EL shop? Yes, I have spent well over $100 in enriched essences stones, and p2p changes.

- How old are you?

Younger than Thyralax looks like :P

- Where do you live? (Country, no need to give exact address

Germany

Working

My first computer game was Pong, but EL was my first MMORPG

It's interesting how the game evolves over the years. And the community is nice.

To reach rank #1 in the harvesters list.

http://freshmeat.net/

I am logged in nearly every day, and when i have some spare time, i'm playing too :D

I tried Run Escape after trying EL, later Planeshift, The Mana World, Auteria and some MUD's, but i didn't like them that much. Run Escape was too annoying with all those pointing arrows and such, i didnt like their interface, Planeshift looked quite ugly for my taste, same with Auteria, i don't like games which are too dark and have an ugly world.

6. Have you ever bought from EL shop? (Notice, if you paid someone gc to get you item or service from EL shop with RL money, it's also buying so please mention it. You get the product, Radu gets the $.)

If you haven't bought anything from shop, why? (Too expensive, no interesting products, you're too p00r...)

I bought once 2 MM cloaks from the shop for an overrated price, which was meant as a donation.

And guess what? I still have them :D

- United States of America

- Junior in High School

- Got introduced to EL then spent almost a year exploring other games and then back to EL :D

- EL friends, the Community is (mainly) mature and the Summoning skill <3

- Invasions, contests, instances, im ubber rich (oh yesssh it feels real good whenever i type #sto :P )& did i say Summoning? ^^

- This guy i knew in RL introduced the game to me

- Once or twice each week

I have played Runes of Magic, WoW, Metin2, Shayli, Maplestory, Runescape, Adventure Quest, Perfect World International, Silkroad, and Talisman Online. I have logged on Maplestory occasionally in the last 2 week but mainly no. I've stayed in EL because i like to own n00bs at DPA every chance i get :D and summoning <3

- 3 rostos during my entire EL career.

- a namechange & lifetime pvp (gc -> $)

- How old are you? 52

- Where do you live? usa

- Are you studying or working etc.? neither, nada, n/a

- Do you have long history with computer games or is EL your "first love"? first and only

The fact that even an old fart like me can even play it and have fun

There are soo many things that you can do, different ways to grow, things to learn, and to meet poeple from all over the world

umm it was 5-6 yrs ago and i realy dont remember,,,old age

daily

5. Have you tried any other MMORPG's and do you still play them?

no

yes

The fact that game is free to play was a big factore when i first started, but later I realized the amount of work put into this deserves some return

- How old are you? 34

- Where do you live? Ireland

- Are you studying or working etc.? I am a Mummy

- Do you have long history with computer games or is EL your "first love"? Tried runescape years before el - i sucked, EL is the first game I played that I stayed in for more than 2 days

1. The most important reason you play EL? (RL/EL friends, it's fun, you're just too addicted...) Love the game, yeah kinda addicted also

2. Is there any other reasons you play? Course - I love my online family

3. How did you find the game? googled online games and find a mmorpg website.

4. How often do you play? (No need to tell how many hours you play in day, just tell if you play daily or few times a week etc.) Daily

5. Have you tried any other MMORPG's and do you still play them? Why have you stayed in EL? Tried others and still play them, others are great for easy playing but I like the challange of el, and the community (for the most part) is way better here.

6. Have you ever bought from EL shop? Sure a few times but I would not say (as others do) that you NEED rl money to play el :P

Good luck with the report :D

- Australia

- Working

- I have extensive pre-EL gaming history on both consoles and PCs. I had played multiplayer games on a LAN before, but EL was my first MMO.

I played EL because there was/is some great people in game who I enjoy talking to.

I used to like the combat system (and saw it had potential to be really good with a few changes that I always hoped would eventually happen), especially developing my character within that system for PvP, and partaking in PvP combat.

A long time friend (now my housemate) introduced me to it. He found and tried it due to the fact EL has a Linux client.

Recently it's only been a couple of hours a month, but will probably soon be once or twice a week. I mildly enjoy PK'ing at DPa, despite the luck-based fights and high costs... so I'll get back to that soon.

I've tried a few other MMORPG's, the only one I'm currently actively playing is Regnum Online (I play that like 3-4 times a week, multiple hours at a time).

I haven't really stayed in EL. I put in just enough face time in-game to legitimise my addiction to spamz0ring these forums :>

Sure. P2P chars, name/colour changes. Sometimes it was for other people.

I'd probably have bought more too if I had more disposable income.

...stupid ass debts and rent and bills and crap :\

and @Wolfy

No one says you NEED RL money to play EL.

You need insane amounts of time and will and/or RL money to play as a competitive top level PK'er in EL.

So long as that's not how a person wants to play, no money at all is needed to play EL. :P

- How old are you?

- Where do you live?

Austria

Working

Started with the C64.

+ Greatest game in existence (+ the one that kept me playing for over 4 years without getting bored)

+ Nice community

+ EL client supports all of my platforms

+ Relaxing music

+ Aggravating music

+ Possibility to turn off music

+ No RL money for game or game time required

+ Client open-source

+ Quests, invasions, polar bears, many skills, no classes

+ Weird humor

+ Possibility to take part in the developing process of the game

/edit/

+ EL client still runs on my old computer :P

/edit/

While browsing through the portage tree of Gentoo Linux.

Currently daily.

5a. Have you tried any other MMORPG's and do you still play them?

World of Warcraft Classic + Burning Crusade => No and no.

/edit/

Last Chaos => No.

/edit/

5b. Why have you stayed in EL?

see 1. + 2.

Nope.

Edited by wage

- America

- Working to bank money for college in spring.

- I've never been too into MMO's. Computer games are one thing but still. Isenguard one of my best friends in RL showed me EL in 7th grade and I've been addicted since.

1. I play EL because it's competative, fun, addictive, and full of cool people.

2. No.

3. Isenguard showed it to me.

4. Every day, for 1 hour minimum. Nights off where I'm up late I can get into strenuous hours. But it's usually not more than 6

5. I got to 99 smith on RS. Just because I was really bored in study hall in my school. but that was just because port 2000 was blocked.

6. Yes, many many times. Color change stones, p2p's, loads of name changes, EFEs, Bindings, Rostos. I've bought a lot, from exchange and a good bit from $$ too. With varying names etc.

- How old are you? 50

- Where do you live? USA

- Are you studying or working etc.? Working

- Do you have long history with computer games or is EL your "first love"? Short History EL was the 1st game I played though I have tried a few others

1. The most important reason you play EL? (RL/EL friends, it's fun, you're just too addicted...) RL/EL friends

2. Is there any other reasons you play? The time I spend with PrincssTitanium and other friends

3. How did you find the game? On Google

4. How often do you play? (No need to tell how many hours you play in day, just tell if you play daily or few times a week etc.) Daily

5. Have you tried any other MMORPG's and do you still play them? Auteria and 2 others but not playing anymore

Why have you stayed in EL? The smaller community

6. Have you ever bought from EL shop? I have a few times and make bot payments

- Sweden

- Working

- Played games on everything from commandore 64 to PCs to PS/nintendo and so on.. Games are fun :pickaxe:

1 & 2: I enjoy it and use it to relax when i get home from work and talk to friends and play the game in one way or another either i just sit in the fastreading room and talk in the GM or mix at a sto or what ever i do i enjoy it and i am addicted to the game so much that i think about it too much while i am at work lol

3: My brother talked about it alot and when he came over to my place he DLed it and showed it to me and i've been hooked ever since.

4: I play as much as i can depending on how RL treats me but atleast a few times a week.

5: Nope, EL is enough for me.

6: Yup and will continue to do that as much as i can.

- How old are you?

30 !

- Where do you live?

CANADA

FULL TIME WORK

LONG HISTORY

to zone out and take my mind off real life

yes im waiting for TirunCollimdus to return so I can befriend him then scam him of his storage and character

randomly searching for MMOs

just a few times a week these days

yes tried a few, GW's , few asian WoW rip offs , ive stayed playing EL because its original , difficult and slightly sadistic

a few times yes , once with my own $$ mainly through a third party