Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Sonic

Cursor - Fight Mode

The Idea:

To be able to toggle "fight-mode" on/off. What is "fight-mode"?. Well, when it's toggled on in the options (ctrl-o) the only cursor you can use is the sword (attack cursor). And to use the other cursors, you will have to click on the trade/eye/use icons at the bottom of the HUD and use them appropriately, but disappearing once you right click(and you go back to the attack cursor).

--note: And the magic spell cursor can be cycled through with right click while in fight mode if a spell has been cast and is ready for use.

And if toggled off, it takes you back to how the cursors function at the moment(With right click cycling through most of the cursors)

Why?

In PK: Its annoying fiddling with all the cursors that we dont need...it really detracts from the enjoyment of trying to PK somebody when you get stuff like...

You can't do that while fighting! Duh!

or

[01:09:00] Warning! You just entered a PKing map! This means other players can attack you!

[01:09:02] You are now immune to magic, for the next 90 seconds. Enjoy :devlish:

[01:09:19] You see: sirrich

[01:09:38] Dilly got healed a little because of his/her armor!

[01:09:47] You recovered 184 material points

[01:09:48] Dilly got healed a little because of his/her armor!

[01:09:48] Dilly got healed a little because of his/her armor!

[01:09:53] Your enemy used the ring of disengagement, so he fled, and you can't move for ~5 seconds.

Basically trying to use/trade or eye your opponent when you don't want to.

In training: Always having the attack cursor on ( the only one you could possibly want on when training anyway) will make training *that* much more bearable. :pickaxe:

The Problem:

So to outline the issue, we need a way to avoid using the numerous cursors incorrectly while in fighting situations. Suggestions welcome.

*Note*: I have no idea how difficult it would be to actually program such an idea o.O or even if its possible.

Gerbil ^^ *praying this idea gets implemented*

You mean like holding alt down does now?

Yes labrat. But without holding down alt for the hours spent in a pk area or hours spent in training.

Not to mention that alt+click is captured by some popular window managers (linux) by default for other operations (moving windows, etc.)... ofc i just changed super to be my modifier key in openbox, but a mode would still be nice.

Edited by Korrode

Something similar for ranging would be great too! Even with holding down alt, I still manage to start walking away from where I'm standing all the time

Or clicking the "Attack" icon to the left of your "Inventory" icon on the toolbar?

The thing is, when there is an option to 'switch' to 'pk mode', it will be enhanced. If it is not THAT useful when it is first implemented I'm sure it will grow and prove to be really helpful :)

Something that could be added later on is custom shortcuts (or just a different set of short keys?) to cast spells, use items, that sort of thing.

An option to only change the cursor behavior is not that usefull imo, but I think it would be great to have someone work on this idea. :)

Or clicking the "Attack" icon to the left of your "Inventory" icon on the toolbar?

Yeah, really..

Yeah, really..

I honestly cannot tell if this is sarcasm or you are actually agreeing...

The way i see this thread is...

People saying \o/

->Korrode (+100's a/d pk'er and trainer)

->Hannibal (+100's a/d pk'er and trainer)

->Ozmondius (+100's a/d pk'er and trainer)

->Jizzy (not sure on a/d, but I have seen him in KF a few times)

->Big_Duo (some ranger who would benefit from this idea)

->Gerbil (+100's a/d pk'er and trainer, with a bit of a silver ore addiction)

People saying /o\

->Labrat (pure silver harvester/mule/beam_butt_sitter)

->DarElik (some person i have never heard of- or dont recall ever seeing ingame/or pk area-unless his/her name is

different in-game)

->ProHibited (not really sure what they were trying to say...especially with comments such as "If it is not THAT useful

when it is first implemented I'm sure it will grow and prove to be really helpful").

Yip because we all have so much time to do this during a pk battle where people are dying around you and what keeps you alive or winning usually involves quick flee catches & dis/tele's, or using the correct combination of cursors to leave a battle and click on that damn flag of safety.

da best when you trade with som1 and they run away, then come back and open a trade window up lmao :)

Good idea gerb :)

Yeah, really..

I honestly cannot tell if this is sarcasm or you are actually agreeing...

It is not sarcasm. Why do you think we bothered to make an attack icon in the first place?

Some <attack lock> would be a great idea.

I have made my hours in ranging already,

So I know that I would be very happy if

this would be possible.

the Alt key helps, but like big_due said, you still start walking.

And after some hours of training your finger gets a bid irritating.

thx

Edited by elg3neral

Well I meant to post earlier but here is the cause of the attack icon shifting in a fight.

(at least one reason)

If you cast a spell, you instantly get the EYE <O> after. So you get immediately:

01:09:02] You are now immune to magic, for the next 90 seconds. Enjoy :pirate:

If you try to attack without right clicking cycling the attack cursor.

There is -no- time to click a button on the toolbar. Try this to die or

totally miss the person you were trying to engage. "LMAO I got away n00b"

You cannot use alt-left click because you are firing alt+# for spells, ctrl+# for inv

(ie alt+# for mi, same approx seconds you try to attack)

You see: ALT fails.

Ive always accepted the combat interface was clunky and awkward and tried to

master it in hopes my opponent was fumbling with it.

<cast Mana Drain!>

<fails>

You see: robotbob

<cast Restore>

<You need 25 ethe....> :icon13:

Fight mode would be wonderful. I dont know how many people I attempted

to trade with in a fight or how many You see: Ive seen trying to MD people.

(for that matter looking up in the chat window with it high speed scrolling MoL

messages for a spell failed message is another great way to donate a brick)

So why not just fix the issue with the shifting attack icon when using magic.

Easier than an other key combo or hidden option for a new attack mode and both sides are happy.

Does anyone know other reasons why the attack icon might shift?

I like it. When you lag as much as i do its hard to range because even when im holding alt i still walk sometimes. How about when you in a icon you type #attack or what ever and you can only switch back by using you bottom icon instead of accidentally switching into another mode?

Edited by time4u2die

bump.

Let me describe an exact situation where there is still an issue today.

1. I attack a monster.
  2. I use a potion in my inventory (defense potion for coordination potion or whatever).
  3. I am now in a state where holding alt does not make the cursor change to attack icon.

When the monster dies, before I can attack the next i must right-click to get the cursor back to the attack icon.

It just can't be that hard to have either a 'combat mode' (preferably toggled via a ctrl+letter or alt+letter key) or for the cursor to properly always be the attack icon when alt is held.