Eternal Lands Official Forums
Cycloonx

Ignore all bots

How about that with a slight adjustment?

A buff sent when the player trades with the bot that shows that the player is purposefully ignoring the adverts so the bot can then choose whether to adjust the prices?

A buff sent when the player trades with the bot that shows that the player is purposefully ignoring the adverts so the bot can then choose whether to adjust the prices?

I like this idea. I think it's a good trade.

So you think it's good to alter prices because someone doesn't view the ads of a bot? So someone who isn't on channel 3 should get other prices too? Irl someone who skips adverts on TV also pays other prices in store?

And you can just change the settings back to unignore when you buy something from a bot. And I wouldn't really care, if some bot owners think that they should change their prices, I guess they don't deserve my gc.

Edited by Cycloonx

Ignoring all the channel bots server side is a good idea, pretty easy to implement too. The default setting will be unignore, of course.

Changing the advertisment time to 1 hour won't help. Let's say there are 120 market bots in the game, 1 hour each, that still means 1 advertising every 30 seconds.

But that's 1/4 of what's in there now. We're looking at 4 times that amount right now. That's *4* ads every 30 seconds if you want to figure it that way. How would changing the ad time to 1 hour *NOT* affect that? To go from 4 per 30 secs to 1 per 30 secs seems like a huge change.

-D-

Who can freaking read 4 or even 1 advert every 30 seconds and compare prices and try to find the best deal??

Having the choice to clear out the market place and give the players a real chance at the economy is more than necessary!

Please please implement this, we need a live economy not one ruled by bots!

So you think it's good to alter prices because someone doesn't view the ads of a bot? So someone who isn't on channel 3 should get other prices too? Irl someone who skips adverts on TV also pays other prices in store?

And you can just change the settings back to unignore when you buy something from a bot. And I wouldn't really care, if some bot owners think that they should change their prices, I guess they don't deserve my gc.

The buff is sticky, if you unignore the buff stays for an ingame day, just like the #leave_guild command (which stores the buff for 2 days).

And note I said "choose whether to adjust the prices".

Having the choice to clear out the market place and give the players a real chance at the economy is more than necessary!

Please please implement this, we need a live economy not one ruled by bots!

jaja i so agree with you.

anyway would really be nice if you would implement what you said ent.

Just posted this in the other thread that started to talk about channels too. Why not make 33 the official unmoderated market channel? It is official because it is limited by developers to players only. It is official because it is in the list. It is unmoderated so it doesn't require any mods and it is still easy to find by new players. :blush: Can we do that?

Tirun

I can understand why some bot owners dont like the idea, you think your going to loose business.

The vast majority of new players wont find out about this option for awhile anyway, so they will still see teh spam, and still sell to a bot at a lower price than they should / or buy from a bot at a higher price than they should. You will still catch the noobs, wouldnt worry about that.

An established player will already have a business relationship with some bots, and will no doubt continue to utilise the services of those bots who it deems offer fair prices for each particular players needs.

Also, with the advent of rraisa ( who does not post in market channel , I dont think ) a player can use Rraisa as a go between if they REALLY want to see some bot prices.

Lastly, if a new player finds the option and turns it to ignore then personally I think thats a good thing. It means they will be more inclined to interact with a living, breathing person at the other end of the trade window and potentially make some useful contacts for thier future life in EL.

Plus they can also get scammed by a person , and not a bot, which IMHO makes for a more interesting Disputes read no ?

*edit* I said they could use Rraisa as a go between , that is assuming by ignore all bots, entropy doesnt mean ALL bots, only those posting in the market channel , id miss Gossip * sob *

Edited by Ateh

what if chan 33 was made the bot channel and chan 3 was kept as the player channel. even if no one used the bot channel because of spam, players could still use Rraisa to find what they needed off bots.

doesnt really do anything to help the economy but solves the spam problem and confusion for new players

atm, 95% of the market posts are from bots, no wonder the economy has some problems.. i mean the price is basicly what the majority of bots want it to be. theres no real chance for players to set there prices which ends up in great swords being 21k etc.

atm, 95% of the market posts are from bots, no wonder the economy has some problems.. i mean the price is basicly what the majority of bots want it to be. theres no real chance for players to set there prices which ends up in great swords being 21k etc.

10 bonus points for Team Tempest, so true.

So is silver ore 2 gc or 1.35 gc?

Where silver ore is concerned Agneum is the majority of bots. I haven't seen her change the price of ores.

So is silver ore 2 gc or 1.35 gc?

Where silver ore is concerned Agneum is the majority of bots. I haven't seen her change the price of ores.

how can 1 bot be a majority of anything ?

* edit * nevermind, I see what your saying, your bot buys & sells the most silver ore in the game. So do you think that will change if the ignore command is implemented? considering it is parked within pissing distance of the silver ore ?

*edit2* tried a funny

Edited by Ateh

indeed, and the way from agneum to your bot makes up for the 0.65gc difference.

Anyway, I implemented it, will be here at the next server update.

And no, I don't like the buff idea.

Alrighty then...

(Though the Buff idea was intriguing. :) )

Just seemed to me that you could try changing the rule first to 1 hour instead of 15 mins and see what that accomplished. (Quicker, easier, no programming, and no waiting for an update)

Basically, what this is going to accomplish is the elimination of bot ads on channel 3 (might as well have made a "rule" just banning the ads). The bots are just going to be talking to themselves (and being able to see everyone else's).

I feel this will just lead to the bot owners paying their money to stick a bot in the game and nobody will know they're there unless they happen to stumble upon them (on whatever map and place they're on) and click 'trade" and experiment until they figure out it's a "trade bot".

Because it's going to come down to:

1) Current ppl are going to use this function right away and bot ads will disappear (for them), pretty much wasting some (and in alot of cases) hard earned money payed for the bot.

2) New ppl will finally discover channel 3, get told by the ppl that turned 'em on to channel 3 how to shut off bot messages, and we'll end up with the new ppl blocking bot ads.

3) Some bot owners/programmers will probably resort to something mentioned earlier about PMs from bots when the bot has seen them post on channel 3, by increasing the way bots look at that channel and PM ppl that post there. Then we're back to ppl having to #ignore BOT again just like we're doing now. (Or you'll make a "rule" about that too, thus ending up making a "rule" anyway) :)

I think, to remain as fair as possible, try the mandatory rule of 1 hour between ads per bot. It will reduce the traffic in channel 3 by bots to 1 quarter of what it is now (a bot can post 4 times an hour).

1 every 30 seconds is still WAY better than 4 every 30 seconds, no matter which way you look at it.

And it might even leave room for PLAYER ads. And they have a FIVE min limit! Use it.

Anyway, like always, I don't expect this post to have ANY effect on anything around here, but I felt the need to spout it out.. ;0

And, to quote Forrest Gump:

"And that's all I got to say about that."

I feel this will just lead to the bot owners paying their money to stick a bot in the game and nobody will know they're there unless they happen to stumble upon them (on whatever map and place they're on) and click 'trade" and experiment until they figure out it's a "trade bot".

As the bots have the right to advertise, so do players have the right not to listen to them. People do not pay money for their bots to have the privilege to rely their messages to everyone.

3) Some bot owners/programmers will probably resort to something mentioned earlier about PMs from bots when the bot has seen them post on channel 3, by increasing the way bots look at that channel and PM ppl that post there. Then we're back to ppl having to #ignore BOT again just like we're doing now. (Or you'll make a "rule" about that too, thus ending up making a "rule" anyway) :rolleyes:

That will be disallowed.

However, I was thinking of a unified standard for bots where players can use a syntax such as:

wtb item price

or

wts item price

The only the bots that buy or sell that item for that price will reply by PM.

I think, to remain as fair as possible, try the mandatory rule of 1 hour between ads per bot. It will reduce the traffic in channel 3 by bots to 1 quarter of what it is now (a bot can post 4 times an hour).

1 every 30 seconds is still WAY better than 4 every 30 seconds, no matter which way you look at it.

That's like saying that it is prefferable to be hit by a force of 20 newtons over your balls than with a force of 50 newtons. While the statement is true in essence, it is still very undesirable.

However, I was thinking of a unified standard for bots where players can use a syntax such as:

wtb item price

or

wts item price

Very good idea! :rolleyes:

1) Current ppl are going to use this function right away and bot ads will disappear (for them), pretty much wasting some (and in alot of cases) hard earned money payed for the bot.

Why do you think so ? What makes you think, that i can not turn bot ads on if i need it ?

Anyway my bot was quite long without ads and people bought from him ...

And what's the difference with currently no people on market channel? Except those that already ignored all bots by hand?

wtg ent, thx for implementing it.

finally, a nice channel 3 again for many people :rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

wtb item price

or

wts item price

;)

Looks like it the big channel #3 come back is about to happen. I wasn't using it at all for the last year because of the bot spam, now it's going to be usable again. And the second idea is marvellous, easy to find what you need (Rraisa serves that purpose now, but it has it's flaws)

Thank you.

:rolleyes:

wtb item price

or

wts item price

;)

Looks like it the big channel #3 come back is about to happen. I wasn't using it at all for the last year because of the bot spam, now it's going to be usable again. And the second idea is marvellous, easy to find what you need (Rraisa serves that purpose now, but it has it's flaws)

Thank you.

The problem I see with the second idea is that all the bots will have to stay in channel to monitor for the commands (many of them stay out of the channel to reduce the server bandwidth) plus not all bots will recognize the same name/abbrev's. Plus, do you really want to get 50+ PM's in response to WTB or WTS?

The problem I see with the second idea is that all the bots will have to stay in channel to monitor for the commands (many of them stay out of the channel to reduce the server bandwidth) plus not all bots will recognize the same name/abbrev's. Plus, do you really want to get 50+ PM's in response to WTB or WTS?

Better 50+ PM's once than bot spam in channel 3 forever.

Where i doubt that it always will be 50+ PM's, that might depend on the item you wanna buy/sell. Not all bots sell/buy all items.

And i would still suggest, that the bots post less in channel, it wouldnt make a difference for rraisa, if she gets a message every 20 minutes or only once per hour. And since rraisa is still checking the inventory of bots, its not even needed to scan bots messages in market channel.

Yes, abbreviations might be a problem, then just dont be lazy and type the full item name, youre not buying stuff every 5 minutes, so investing 10 seconds for checking what youre typing in your wtb/wts message wont hurt that much :rolleyes:

All in all i think, this will reduce the waste of bandwidth by bots a lot. Less spam in channel 3, but only a few PM's more.

And we have a usable market channel again, where players can sell their stuff.

;)

Piper