Eternal Lands Official Forums
korrode

Multiplay on the main server

Multiplay on the main server  

210 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like multiplay (interacting with alts) to be allowed on the main server?

• Yes
    • No

Well i voted yes but now i think i made a mistake ;)

1. reason: (as told) neg perks wont be neg perks

2. reason: players with pr0 computers will be pr0 ingame

3. reason: the game will be easy (tho i m able to play only weekends and that sux0rz but my vote is still NO)

Nowadays i think about EL too much. While doing homeworks, studying, at free times etc. and thinking how can a player reach someone who started EL in 2003 :)

Most games have more than one server.(not like our PK server, its as main) Yes i know we have very little popluation of players but... (maybe newer players are leaving too fast because they see players are 150's and telling theirselves "WTF" inside. who knows...)

Should i post a new topic for that? You want it? :P

Multiplay would definatly suck. You can just get tons of harvesting stuff at a short time with some alts online, and the game will become a race for the person who can manage to play the most alts.

We already have players on the PK server with fleets of alts making them rich purely by sitting at the lilac bush. That's fine when the server is new but can you imagine the server load when everyone online on main is running 4 alts each?

We've all struggled to get our levels on main the hard way (apart from quite a few banned exceptions), why should the newbs be able to surpass us on day 3 because they have negbombed with no repercussions?

maybe newer players are leaving too fast because they see players are 150's and telling theirselves "WTF" inside. who knows...)

I think most of new players r thinking lvls will only get little harder than they r at the beginning.

Not so long ago i saw a newbie posting on some other forum that he wanna take godless coz it wont hurt him too much at getting 180a/d and he could use those 8 more pickpoints now ;)

Imho players simply dont know about el, thats why we have so small community here.

Oh, and about those "players in 150's"- unless asgnny worked his ass off in last few months im the only1 who got a skill over 150 lvl :)

mp

That's fine when the server is new but can you imagine the server load when everyone online on main is running 4 alts each?

Easy solution: Allow only 1 alt? :)

EDIT:# and yes i know alot of players will go the new server if we have one and that would suck but maybe alot of new players will come EL too. Who knows?

Maybe we should give it a try

Edited by OldySchooly

I think there is no advantage in interacting with your own alt, except making things easier for yourself by sideskipping the need to take strategic decisions about how your character develops.

If you want to have alt to experience the various facets of the game, which would be a noble endeavour, you can do so easily by playing alts that do not interact -- which is allowed already. A clear NO from me.

And I voted yes, not really to be able to trade with an alt, but to be able to trade with my partner and child(ren),who play EL too but have the same IP address as me.

Sorry , but I do not think it is fair that because you live in the same house, you have to be punished!

Ilse, as far as I can tell, this is allowed already - you just have to provide proof that there are really different persons playing. You may want to contact a moderator to check your options.

I voted yes, I would use 5 alts to harvest me some flowers near a flower shop and sell them, then I could have some money.

Then I can buy items for training, and actually pay what it costs to make the item and more. The manu'ers would go through more supplies, and actually make a profit. Then once I had alot of pr0 armour, I would train night and day, and use a lot of essence, and buy out all of the alchemists essence. When I got pr0 a/d I would roam around kf and pk my life away, and hey, since I am rich, I think I will use damage and mana rings on everything I see.

If only.

I voted yes, I would use 5 alts to harvest me some flowers near a flower shop and sell them, then I could have some money.

Then I can buy items for training, and actually pay what it costs to make the item and more. The manu'ers would go through more supplies, and actually make a profit. Then once I had alot of pr0 armour, I would train night and day, and use a lot of essence, and buy out all of the alchemists essence. When I got pr0 a/d I would roam around kf and pk my life away, and hey, since I am rich, I think I will use damage and mana rings on everything I see.

If only.

But if you're rich, so is everyone else. If everyone is rich, no one is rich at all... so risk messing up the economy, reducing interaction with other players... and numerous other things, in order to make the game easier?

I LOVE the fact that multiplaying isn't legal, and voted no ;)

Edited by Enly

the reason i was short lived on the pk server is bc of multitrading .. i dont have the resourses to get the advantage someone who can run 3 or 4 alts at once. and trying to run that many at once is more of a hassle than a gaming pleasure. so id vote no in an instant

Someone is always going to abuse things, but I don't like the fact that if your brother, sister, wife, husband, or room mate play you can't trade with them. Why not limit it to only being able to open a single client on a PC or if you want to play another char on the same IP charge for that right?

Why not limit it to only being able to open a single client on a PC

That would put those with multiple PCs in favor and because the EL client is OpenSource everbody could modify the source to skip the check for an already running client.

or if you want to play another char on the same IP charge for that right?

So a brother, husband or roommate would have to pay to be able to play.

I do have an alt and would love to be able to interact just like i interact with other people and guildies. Like buying the FEs i made with my alt for a reasonable price or participating in guild projects with both characters without having to worry about same ip bag trading. But unless such non abusive multiplaying can be declared in clear rules and can be distinguished from muling or circumventing anti social I'd stay with no.

If this was legal i bet all the people atm who are IP banned for it would be pissed :S

NO from me :>

I mean hell... if you think about it if we all Illegally multi i wouldn't need any 1 else \o/ and where is the fun in that ? :>

Why not limit it to only being able to open a single client on a PC

That would put those with multiple PCs in favor and because the EL client is OpenSource everbody could modify the source to skip the check for an already running client.

Isn't there a rule about modifying your client? What fraction of the users compile the cvs client anyway? I'm pretty sure it isn't "every body" Also, last I checked most universities have a huge bank of IP addresses. You usually get a new IP when you plug a new computer into the wall. So by that logic everyone at a .edu address has an unfair advantage.

or if you want to play another char on the same IP charge for that right?

So a brother, husband or roommate would have to pay to be able to play.

I haven't heard of an ISP that wouldn't give you a second IP address if you were willing to pay for it. Why not funnel that money into the game?

Personally I do not have any alts, and I'm not suggesting that we should rescind the rule on muling. But i think there should be a way for 2 people to play from the same household without having to get multiple IP addresses. God knows the silver mine near the Glamor storage couldn't handle having 2-3 extra alts for every primary in it. Besides, if i wanted to play an RTS playing EL with 20 alts would not be my first choice.

Isn't there a rule about modifying your client?

Well, there is a rule about multiplaying too but some do not obey that rule. Why would they obey the modified client rule?

What fraction of the users compile the cvs client anyway? I'm pretty sure it isn't "every body"

Cheaters do. Or at least the skilled ones. The unskilled just ask some skilled for a compiled client. And on the linux front many players compile their clients but not all of them are capable of removing such a check. But as usual there has to be just one who can and the security is broken for many others.

Also, last I checked most universities have a huge bank of IP addresses. You usually get a new IP when you plug a new computer into the wall. So by that logic everyone at a .edu address has an unfair advantage.

They have an unfair advantage and so have people who can access a proxy to get a new ip address But your suggestion of limiting the EL clients to 1 per computer will not make that advantage go away. Instead it will give those with multiple computers an advantage over those with just one. This does not sound like a fair solution, does it?

voted no

Mostly for the reasons already mentioned, particularly player interaction.

I hope that anyone who posted complaining about finding it difficult to get a spawn voted no too. A player could sit on a spawn for eternity sending their negged up alt back and forth to storage to restock while their alch/potion character rattles out the he's/sr's.

As to suggesting it be limited it to 1 alt per player; good luck to the mods at managing that one.

Edited by JohnnyFrog

No.

The only reason we have multiplay on the PK server is because we cannot create characters without paying for them.

On the main server you can create as many alts as you want. Now that doesn't sound too good to me....

-Sistema

Voted a definite no...

For the already mentioned reasons plus:-

• If it were allowed, take anti and have an alt sitting by all the NPCs that you use - just log them in trade and out again.
  • Have alts sitting at various ores/minerals - no need to ever buy on ch3 again, or harvest drop in a bag and let it poof - eventually you will get a stone.
  • Have one character sit on spawn armed with big sword- then select and restore every 30 minutes or so.
  • I can also think of several places where I'd like to have alts to trade - such that tptr is no longer needed to reach certain resources.
  • And think of the poor mods.... They have a hard enough task at the moment to spot macroers, if you could have unlimited alts doing this - the detection would be almost impossible!

But i think there should be a way for 2 people to play from the same household without having to get multiple IP addresses.

Well obviously. Anybody can say this and everybody does. The problem is HOW. If it were this simple, it would be done already. :D

But i think there should be a way for 2 people to play from the same household without having to get multiple IP addresses.

Well obviously. Anybody can say this and everybody does. The problem is HOW. If it were this simple, it would be done already. :D

The client could transmitt network card's MAC address info to the server. That would allow to distinguish between two or more computers sharing same IP address

The client could transmitt network card's MAC address info to the server. That would allow to distinguish between two or more computers sharing same IP address

I have 4 computers I personally use. How does that help?

Well obviously. Anybody can say this and everybody does. The problem is HOW. If it were this simple, it would be done already. :brooding:

In the same time? All logged in to EL ? :D

EDIT :

ok, I see your point - someone could use multiple PC's to multiply, so the solution above is not perfect, but still prevents from running many clients on the same PC, which is probably the most "popular" form of multi

Edited by Cruella

Well obviously. Anybody can say this and everybody does. The problem is HOW. If it were this simple, it would be done already. :brooding:

In the same time? All logged in to EL ? :D

Does it matter? Illegal multi can occur with only one character logged in at a time, just as frequently and easily as having 4 logged in at once. Either way, my point is a MAC id would prove nothing in way too many people's cases. Also not to sound mean, but did you really think this option hasn't come up in discussion before? *sighs*

As I said, it's the HOW that is hard. The obvious easy "solutions" just don't work. Personally I am for the eye retina scanning method but for some reason nobody wants to foot the cost :D

Edit: Yes Tempest, I did laugh :D