Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Sir_Exeus

noob/newbie

Hey guys. I felt like posting this topic for a reason(s). 1) Because I think it would be funny 2) Because everyone makes errors and such spelling it.

Here goes:

Word: Newbie

Definition: NEWCOMER; especially : a newcomer to cyberspace

OK thats Dictionary, here is everywere else :)

Word: noob/n00b/n08b/n44b/newb/newblet etc.

Defintion: What a low lvl calles a high lvl because he is mad. What the loser says to the winner of a fight. What people cal other people because they are mad.

Ha ha ha funny? Post other uses for the word and perhaps there is another word the we misuse. BTW this isnt about getting anyone for spelling or anything it's just for fun :pinch:

Very nice

You left out (though less commonly used?)

nub, nab, knoob, nvb, choob, ch00b, and possibly even b00n

I would know ^^ kthnx

Emo...

lots of people misuse this word terribly :/

I'm an old guy of online gaming. I started playing quake in 1996 and the first term we used

for a person new to a game (well in quake directly, but it was the only and king at the time)

was a LLAMAS, yes the animal. Why I really can't recall. (I was Rigel[T] in those days server

admin and mod maker)

In 1997 these two terms formed and evolved lol here goes:

Newbie->Newb->Noob->n00b(if your l33t)

and now the tons of variations.

Now in 1996, we "beat,defeated,kill,slaughtered,etc" the opponent.

In 1997 suddenly the term "owned" appear. Most of us was against it, sounded

slavery-like. It wasn't until 1998-9 I started seeing "pwned" and now the tons of

variations of that lol.

So that is the short history of its use, I remember the long debates about it in quakeworld servers

back "in them olden days of gaming" :P

wow nicely put robotbob that was interesting. after owned is pwned. he he funny really

eunt oint roll'd jim dangl'd

Edited by scarr

lol eunt, thats plain Hollandish ;)

pwned, owned, n33b neeb n44b naab noob n00b naablet nooblet neeblet n44bz0rz naabzors and so on, theres some many different words for it nowadays that it is not normal anymore.

There was a discussion about that here once, someone who wondered about the difference between "newbie" and "noob". I still remember the explanation I had for it.

Newbie:

New player, he is kind, ponders about the game and attempts to get up by his own and by asking others questions on how to advance. Will grow up to be a great player one day.

Noob:

New player, an annoying person, will whine, demand free stuff, be very negative towards everyone and everything, complain about all that he sees. You'll hope he leaves your game soon.

Basicly, a little like good and evil. The newbie with a good attitude and a cool gaming spirit and the noob with a really bad and nasty attitude who only cares for being the best with little work and annoying others.

-Blee

Etymology of pwned:

Pwn is a misspelling of Own (O and P are next to each other on the keyboard). In 1997, there was an enormous CounterStrike tournament. Over 3000 people payed to compete. In the final match, the top 64 people duked it out, while most of the eliminated 2936 people spectated. When one of the players killed another, he exclaimed: "pwned." He meant to type "owned," but hit the p on his keyboard instead of the o.

Variations: powned, pown, pawn, pone.

kkthnxbye fro0b bo0b h4xz0r 1337sp34k pwo0nd even heard jewb once ^^

lets hope we don't hear it again :icon4:

Etymology of pwned:

Pwn is a misspelling of Own (O and P are next to each other on the keyboard). In 1997, there was an enormous CounterStrike tournament. Over 3000 people payed to compete. In the final match, the top 64 people duked it out, while most of the eliminated 2936 people spectated. When one of the players killed another, he exclaimed: "pwned." He meant to type "owned," but hit the p on his keyboard instead of the o.

Cool. I remember this vaguely but was a hardcore quake player at the time.

Edited by robotbob

More a mispronunciation than a misspelling, but the Scots have a wonderful one:

Eejit <-------- perfectly fits those who think scamming is cool

I'll let you work this out

There was a discussion about that here once, someone who wondered about the difference between "newbie" and "noob". I still remember the explanation I had for it.

Newbie:

New player, he is kind, ponders about the game and attempts to get up by his own and by asking others questions on how to advance. Will grow up to be a great player one day.

Noob:

New player, an annoying person, will whine, demand free stuff, be very negative towards everyone and everything, complain about all that he sees. You'll hope he leaves your game soon.

Basicly, a little like good and evil. The newbie with a good attitude and a cool gaming spirit and the noob with a really bad and nasty attitude who only cares for being the best with little work and annoying others.

-Blee

"n00b / newb" mean the same thing, "Newbie". Refering to a person who is, obviously, new and inexpierenced to a particular area. (In this case, Eternal Lands.)

@Matty: Eejit or Glakey :)

I think "n00b" is used far to often these days, as is the 1337 claims. Back when it started, you had to have MAD hacking skills to call yourself 1337, now any idiot can claim to be one of the 1337

Edited by Aphistolas

"n00b / newb" mean the same thing, "Newbie". Refering to a person who is, obviously, new and inexpierenced to a particular area. (In this case, Eternal Lands.)

Yes, I know. But as Exeus his post pointed to aswell. There is a different use for both words. Which I gave the explanation for. That was once the other topic: What is the difference between n00b and newbie?

-Blee

Yes, I know. But as Exeus his post pointed to aswell. There is a different use for both words. Which I gave the explanation for. That was once the other topic: What is the difference between n00b and newbie?

-Blee

Guess it's better to avoid the internet slang all together, Aphistolas. :)

-Blee

N00b = dumb little kid

Newb = inexperienced player

N00b = dumb little kid

Newb = inexperienced player

"Dumb Little Kid"? That's a little presumptuous; Adults can be annoying in-game too you know ;) .

If you looked at the definition, there is no difference (as both are unacceptable Internet slang).

I don't think there is any difference when using them (or at least not much), you would not exactly walk up to somebody and say "Hello, newb!" politely would you?

EDIT: @Lexi: I know, mostly by the misinformed, too.

Edited by Aphistolas

To make it clear... jewb is just newb with a fingerlapse on the first letter (J is over N - it happens a lot especially if you're just starting with blindtyping :D ). It has nothing to do with some nasty parts of our history or idiots putting one nations over another.

Hoob - A retort for people who don't like throwing the word Noob around.

And as for 'annoying kids' I would use the word n00b to describe (offensive) immature behaviour regardless of age. Usually meaning someone who is selfish and thoughtless of others, and often to those who attempt deceptive behaviour against others in a most blatant (and laughable) way.

As for newb, this is not an offensive word between freinds or otherwise, and refers to a player who is new to the game and weill therefore need additional support and guidance in becoming an able player (without begging, begging is alittle noob but there is hope for eveyone). However, to be polite, yes the word newbie is nicer.

Maybe noob and newb are the same word, but using the word newb seems more cruel since it is less related to offensive behaviour, and more directly related to a players lack of gaming experience, in my view.

Well that's enough from me, just thought I'd pad out the true purpose of this reply...

Hoob - A retort for people who don't like throwing the word Noob around.

To make it clear... jewb is just newb with a fingerlapse on the first letter (J is over N - it happens a lot especially if you're just starting with blindtyping :) ). It has nothing to do with some nasty parts of our history or idiots putting one nations over another.

yeh but some of the mods like to mute me for saying jewb :icon13:

jewb = newb as anshar said, but some mods still think its jew( B ) :P

Edited by Tempest

More a mispronunciation than a misspelling, but the Scots have a wonderful one:

Eejit <-------- perfectly fits those who think scamming is cool

I recall my father using the word "idjit" being a colorful version of 'idiot'. When I was wee and babbling incessantly, Pop used to call me the 'Jibberin' Idjit' and I thought of using it for an EL character name. :bow_arrow:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Meanwhile I prefer the term "Newbist" because I live in a "Newbist Colony"......... :)