Tutorial quest poll

Tutorial quests  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Did you do the tutorial?

• Yes, started and finished it.
    • Only started.
    • No, I didn't bother.
  2. 2. What did you think about it?

• It was great, informative, and reasonably easy.
    • It was OK..
    • Teh sukc!
    • N/A (didn't take it)
  3. 3. Which part was the hardest?

• Flowers
    • Rabbits
    • Taverns
    • All parts were OK
    • N/A

How about teaching about the underworld. becouse you just go to beam when you are lower levels.
npc- Now I will tell you about the underworld. when you die, you get sent to the underworld. You have a 50% chance of loosing each item you are carrying when you die. I will teleport you there now so you can see it, and figure out how to get out.

teleported to underworld.

npc- ok, Now you are in the underworld, you will notice that there is no map.You can download the underworld map from www.el-cel.com(or what ever website) Now head North until you see stairs.......

You get the idea.

You know back in the day when I was young there were NO MAPS for video games. Yeah that's right, NONE! Can you believe it? We actually had to explore for ourselves and, if we wanted, create a map on an ancient invention called pencil & paper!

Translation: There is a reason why there aren't maps for every single map in the game. No unofficial map would be supported.

You know back in the day when I was young there were NO MAPS for video games. Yeah that's right, NONE! Can you believe it? We actually had to explore for ourselves and, if we wanted, create a map on an ancient invention called pencil & paper!

Translation: There is a reason why there aren't maps for every single map in the game. No unofficial map would be supported.

Ahh, reminds me of 'Knightmare II: The Maze of Galious' oh the memories -_-

Found a remake in work :D Hope they didnt change the music.

http://www.braingames.getput.com/mog/

Sorry for a bit off-topic, but I like the idea and your resoponse.

*Edit: Forgot link, lol

<3

Tvinn

Edited by Tvinn

When i came to this World, I was born on Newbie Island. On that island I had to learn the very basics, like walk through a door, make fire essence, pick flowers and use a bag (iirc).

I couldnt leave the island untill I had learned all of those things.

I found that very usefull, since i find more and more newcomers having trouble with those basic things

Secondly, it would reduce the making and (mis)use of constantly new chars.

So..I miss the NewBee Island

Just my thoughts,

Jez

Maybe give them a little more Items for completing it?

Leather helm, torso, pants, boots, iron sword, and a wooden shield? Would be cool, and it's not like they are worth alot anyways, but for a beginner, its useful. Also, make them start with 5/5 attack/defense, so they can start off, and not die as much. :P

#Edit - Last thing you want to do is get owned 20 seconds after joining a game. :D

Edited by Chosen

Newby island is a good idea, jeze. Really helped me when i started playing on the french server

Also the quests could be shorter (like reducing flower # etc as proposed)

The structuring of the quests is okay i think, perhaps let them make a FE and cook meat.

Books and stuff already come into play when doing the PAST quest...

perhaps let the NPC reveil the location of a next quest, so people do all quests

Maybe give them a little more Items for completing it?

Leather helm, torso, pants, boots, iron sword, and a wooden shield? Would be cool, and it's not like they are worth alot anyways, but for a beginner, its useful. Also, make them start with 5/5 attack/defense, so they can start off, and not die as much. :P

#Edit - Last thing you want to do is get owned 20 seconds after joining a game. ;)

Actually, I did that already (on my local server).

I hope it will help.

My experience about the tutorial quest:

VERY hard to make coz of language used, im not native, there was really a lot of text and it was hard to find the most important parts( like what exactly thing i should do and where).

I read 5 hours Alastria's guide before so its not like i didnt know english at all, just that was easier to understand from the text in tutorial quest.

After couple hours i got annoyed and decided to wait with it. I tried it again when i was around 30-40 a/d, then i completed it but still had to think a lot.

Actually for me quest was way harder from the actuall things it was supposed to teach me( killing/looting mobs, finding places, harvesting flowers and putting them to storage).

Really hard part was hitting the bar of the tawern( simple left-mouse-clicking didnt work+ i thought i just should enter the tawern).

Another hard part were those flowers, was very hard to find the coordinates on the map, those numbers scared me off. Much easier would be simply: go north of the fireplace and harvest vegetables( just an example).

( All of this was over 2,5 years ago, maybe some things changed since then, i never made the quest again on my other characters- bad memories + not rewarding enough :D

mp

I really don't think no one would use a newbie helping system, because people just don't want to do that.

If you really want to help n00bs, stay at beam and help them. How many people did you see doing that?

I've seen a lot ingame and quite a few on forums mention that they help new players..I suspect most do it to gain new members for their guilds and do it as a pre-recruitment filtering process to see if the new player is worth taking on.

However, my post DID ask if it was worthwhile, if it isnt then no biggy, much prefer you to work on getting those armoured cars ingame instead ty. :D

NPC telling you to download the map from a website? If the devs wanted the underworld to have a map they would just include it, no?

What I wrote is just a suggestion, also not all maps are included becouse of download size, like the music is a seperate download.

The music is tens of megabytes, and the map (compressed) is maybe 20 Kbytes.

However, my post DID ask if it was worthwhile, if it isnt then no biggy, much prefer you to work on getting those armoured cars ingame instead ty. :)

It would be worthwhile if people (and I don't mean just one or two players) would really care about doing that.

I've run through Tutorials few times.

I don't find the quest as it is now very informative more like repetitive. I don't see much sense in picking up 5 flowers, visitting 5 taverns, killing 10 rabbits/beavers. Actually, it is just 3 actions repeated.

I like some of the suggestions posted by players ane Radu in this thread. I think Tutorials should include more than it does now. Making up a fire essence, first potion, etc. It sure would be more interesting and give a better overview of all game features.

Not sure if it is possible, but I think that sub-quests in Tutorials shouldn't be affected by random days. I'd find it highly discouraging if I'm forced to pick a flower, kill a rabbit and am forced to wait 6 hours till the day ends. On the other hand random days are also game feature, so... Meh.

I agree also with Masterpiter, Tutorials contain too much text written in a rather difficult English. I think it would be required to either make national versions or sum each of Tutorial tasks with few simple words.

Like:

1. Go to x,y and pick z.

2. Kill 5 rabbits.

3. Go to a tavern in A and click on counter.

etc.

I nvr knew newby island, maybe if you make a char you shouldn't go into the real game before you:

A) killed a rabbit

B) picked up some flowers (coord quest)

C) sell at the shop (tavern or w/e shop that buys it all)

D) buy 1 wine and a vial

E) make a mana potion and use it

After this you have earned you flight and go by a (flying) boat and leave to IP (kind of like the crash on "the past quest" ? )

This way ppl entering the game are familiar with the basics and it wont have to last longer than few minutes to pass it

On IP you have to find the tutorial NPC to do a harder quest and earn your first armour

Edited by Walt-Her