Eternal Lands Official Forums
bluap

Floating message for session counters

I've just tried a simple change to the client that adds a floating message giving the session count after you kill something. Heres a screen shot:

gallery_14814_13_11672.jpg

I'd like something like this to help when I'm doing the pest control daily quest but it may be useful for other times. Would people find this useful? Would the change be OK to make? Should it be configurable? Should it be provided for more than just the kills counter? Should it be configurable for both the session total and the running total. Any opinions?

Edited by bluap

I personally would hate for this to happen ... there are a LOT of counters and if you add it for one, you have to start considering the other counters and ways to control per player what they see. Gets messy real quickly.

I personally would hate for this to happen ... there are a LOT of counters and if you add it for one, you have to start considering the other counters and ways to control per player what they see. Gets messy real quickly.

If its configurable, off by default, there's nothing to hate. As for getting messy, if you mean code and UI wise, I was thinking of adding an additional boolean option to the current counters window context menu; for example, "Show floating message for session count" or something more snappy. I'd hold all the values in a simple array, one entry per counter category. For persistence, The array can be written to the el.cfg file as bits, one 32-bit value would be enough currently. I can't really see I'd use this for more than the kills counter though, but others may have a different idea. I could probably have coded that all up in the time it's taken me to type this, its only a few lines of code. :D

Add an s to the end of plural nouns and I like. Especially if it's configurable. And even better if there was a setting for just quest stuff. (Perhaps every 1/3 or 1/2 interval options as well.)

I generally don't have a problem with giving users options. But personally this is one I would probably leave off (floating message spam... :o ).

I vote for the following with default setting being turned off.

"Show floating message for session combat counts"

"Show floating message for session mix counts"

On a side note:

"1075 leather helms".....I could just imagine that floating up from my head when I do manu training.

"you died to yeti 43 times"......it something that a fighting may see if they don't know when to quit. :o

Add an s to the end of plural nouns and I like.

We only have the counters text to play with so simply adding an "s" if the count is not 1 would not work well. How about using something like "Small spider: 3" to keep it neutral?

How about using something like "Small spider: 3" to keep it neutral?

I like this idea ;)

I find myself looking in counters to see how many I have left to kill but this is much better ;)

Most of the time I would want this feature off, I can see it could get on my nerves, though I can see its use for daily quests. The thing is though that turning the feature on/off in the options window would take just as much effort as opening the counters window. For that reason I would only use it if there was a text command (which I could bind to an #alias) to turn it on and off. Please consider implementing a text command with it ;)

Im pretty sure i wont use it, it will be a massive spamm every kill and i want it disabled (that would be cool if we could disable xp float too for instances/pk/invasions) ...

for PK it would be nice tough ("2 Smurfs", "12 Stinkyfeets") ;)

if it can be removed in option i dont see a problem on implementing it

Well, I've committed this simple patch to CVS; the feature is off by default. There is a new option in the "Controls" tab of the option window, just under the existing "Floating Messages" option called "Floating Session Counters". When this new option is enabled, session counter messages can be shown. I say "can" as each individual counter category has a further flag than can be on or off. These individual flags can be controlled from the context menu of the counters window. All the values are persisted between client restarts. Changing the "Floating Session Counters" config option does not change the individual category values, it just enables/disables the feature. The option can be changed from the command line using the existing "%floating_session_counters=0/1/!" method.

I enabled the floating message session counters for Kills and really like it. I can enable and disable the floating messages just fine for Kills, but I've enabled them for spells, crafting and potions as well and selecting the option from the context menu won't toggle the selection back off. I also can't toggle the option unless I click on an entry in the counters that would normally activate the other options on the menu, e.g. Delete Entry and Reset Session Total.

I enabled the floating message session counters for Kills and really like it. I can enable and disable the floating messages just fine for Kills, but I've enabled them for spells, crafting and potions as well and selecting the option from the context menu won't toggle the selection back off. I also can't toggle the option unless I click on an entry in the counters that would normally activate the other options on the menu, e.g. Delete Entry and Reset Session Total.

Oops, sorry about that. Both issues are now fixed in CVS. I should not "tidy up" the code too much before committing! The second issue was not due to my tidy up though. Thanks for testing. :P

Edited by bluap