Eternal Lands Official Forums
LabRat

EL logo ingame made into a clickable object

Simple idea.

The logo at the top right of the game screen could be converted so it is a hyperlink button to either http://www.eternal-lands.com or http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/

This would be a trivial patch (after the 1.8.0 release, I know we are in bugfix only at the moment).

Comments/suggestions?

Simple idea.

The logo at the top right of the game screen could be converted so it is a hyperlink button to either http://www.eternal-lands.com or http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/

This would be a trivial patch (after the 1.8.0 release, I know we are in bugfix only at the moment).

Comments/suggestions?

I rather like this short-cut, and if it WAS done...it would be nice if the top half of the logo was to the website and the bottom half to the forums (for example) because i use both such links often. Possibly even a way to customize what links we have in this short-cut route too?....

You're fighting, emergency, restore quick! Rush the mouse up to click the Restore at the top of the quick bar. Mouse went too high, click the logo instead. Game crawls as that accident causes another program to open. Oops, you're dead.

Just one example.

Quick access to the site sounds good, but having it that close to things that are regularly clicked during gameplay -making it an easy target for accidental clicks- is a Very Bad Thing.

Edited by GoodDay2Die

alt-1 - much faster and safer than moving your mouse from the game window if you're fighting.

We could move the quickspell and quickslots down a little or slightly shrink the image to give a gap.

Thanks and keep the suggestions coming :D

Sorry, but forcing people to change their gameplay method for a link is not an improvement. I shouldn't be forced to use two hands when used to one over a link, nor should anyone else.

It's not just fighting, it's mixing (always have FPs in the top slot), etc. Much of which is done one-handed, your suggestion would change that.

Your method of play is not my method of play, do not attempt to destroy my method of play just because it's not yours.

Whats about a tooltip with the 'URL, when the mouse is over the EL logo?

Like "Visit http://www.eternal-lands.com (press F2)" and when you then press F2, the browser starts with the URL.

Like the tooltips you get when the mouse hovers over the quickspell symbols or the icons at the bottom of the screen.

Piper

That wasn't forcing any change of gameplay, just letting you know there is an alternative.

I also gave a couple of options I could do to negate the effect - I could even have it so it doesn't work while fighting. There are a lot of options available for code that only currently exists in potentia hence this thread :D

Keep the comments coming :D

If this were implemented, that wouldn't be an alternative but the only option.

There should never be anything on screen that if accidently mouse-clicked at any time would force another program to open. That's poor design. Your nice computer, perfect mouse, etc., might not have a problem with it, but those of us who can't afford such luxuries are the ones who will get screwed by this idea. It is guaranteed to lead to complaints. People accidental-click things all the time, this won't help that.

Again, nothing against an easy access to the site, but move it to the keyboard.

Waste another hotkey so you don't have to learn to use a mouse properly?

It could easily be [X] configurable or double click triggered, or any one of a hundred ways to get past your new year sensibilities.

As I politely put above the code does not even exist yet.

You don't like it that isn't my problem. If you decide you don't like dying in invasions should invasions be scrapped?

I like the idea :D But i think the link should go to the EL main page instead of forums, its only one click to forums once you get to site anyways.

If this were implemented, that wouldn't be an alternative but the only option.

There should never be anything on screen that if accidently mouse-clicked at any time would force another program to open. That's poor design. Your nice computer, perfect mouse, etc., might not have a problem with it, but those of us who can't afford such luxuries are the ones who will get screwed by this idea. It is guaranteed to lead to complaints. People accidental-click things all the time, this won't help that.

Again, nothing against an easy access to the site, but move it to the keyboard.

lol your over exagerating a bit here now, it's not as if pk and and fighting all together is going to be completely destroyed by putting a link in the logo :D

piper's suggestion seems the best way to do it, a small box pops up with the link in it like when you right click your name

Waste another hotkey? Not sure that should be dignified with a response. It's a simple solution you chose to toss away with a useless word like "waste" when the combinations that could be used are far from running out.

Common sense: Not every mouse is perfectly sensitive, or a hand-slip can move the mouse further than was wanted. Tell me you've never accidently clicked anything ever and I'll call you a liar.

Your insensitivity that some people playing may also have physical issues that would cause such accidental clicks is... sad.

Another program opening forcing system crawl while it does is the HUGE difference between being able to recover from an accidental click or not.

It's piss-poor design to make it that easy to accidently open another program, at any time, period, and not just in EL. Especially from, like any other 3d program, a heavy-resource program. I'd wager that there's quite a few people playing on systems where running much of anything else while the game's on is not an option. Just because your system isn't doesn't mean they/we should get the shaft.

You're begging for complaints over something very few people will ever actually use, that reason alone should keep it demoted to the keyboard. People who visit the site regularly have it bookmarked, where it won't be accidently clicked in-game. Even people who would use it, would likely only use it once at most during a gameplay.

On-screen items should be limited to things that actually get regularly used.

I'll completely ignore your last sentence, as changing the subject is only done when you run out of real things to say.

If it "must" be implemented, [x] option, OFF by default. The key part of that being the OFF by default.

My thoughts so far from the responses given:

* Make the link target configurable in options, default to http://www.eternal-lands.com

* Make the link active using a checkbox in options - on by default

* Have the link image highlight or change colour as the normal icons at the bottom do

* Disable the link functionality while fighting

I've long thought about making that icon spot useful. Instead of some sort of hard link, could it instead be "programmable"? My first thought is something like the #<number> alias function (any text command). But it would be nice if it could like to any key command; like alt-1 to cast a spell like restore.

Personally, I'd like to link it to #cls so I can easily clear the screen with a quick mouse click.

If the configuration text was in the options window (as suggested), and if there was a "#link <url>" command, then the default value could be as originally suggested (EL home page).

hmm yeh opening anther programme while running EL isnt allways a good idea as EL can use alot of juice when its running, F2 sometimes makes peeps lag out and crash when using links in URL window , seen it alot.

plus , surely anyone who plays EL already has the pages bookmarked ? putting the link in game is a bit ........ cant find the right word ?

example : someone says '' Hey have you seen the thread about aTeh being a total n00b on EL forums ?? '' and eveyone says in return -- no , link me ..... so you copy and paste the link and voila they hit F2 and grue out, thats much more fun

it seems like a nice idea to have the link thing but ...... what for ?

* Disable the link functionality while fighting

Yup, not that i would do that mistake but as people are complaining about it, this option will be useful.

I liked the idea ;)

-Kaddy

Wouldn't it be much much easier to put EL website and forum links in URL list by default and make them stay there forever (i.e. can't be deleted) ? no misclicks for gd2d ;)

I don't see the point of this idea. People will maybe click it one time and other times it will only be clicked by accidence and will become annoying for sure. And making an option for it is even more bad, there are already too much options for little things in this game.

Wouldn't it be much much easier to put EL website and forum links in URL list by default and make them stay there forever (i.e. can't be deleted) ? no misclicks for gd2d :D

Also a nice idea, separate buttons for the 'Forum' and 'Website' next to the 'Clear all" button in the URL links window would be handy. Also if there is space, a 4th button for a customizable link, for us to add our links we use often, having the EL CEL website there for example would rock.

#lurk_mode ;)

Well i like the idea it should go to EL Main site tho since you have all the other things there anyways, Forums, playerslist and so on so it's just cliking your way forward from it.

As for the omg i might click that instead of the spells icons can't it be made so only the top half of the EL logo is clickable? Like the E (in EL) and the dragonshead part of the pic, if its possible that is..

Edited by Entris

How about adding a few buttons for links in the URL window instead? These can even be custom links, instead of hard-coded to the forums or el main page (e.g. if someone wants to have a link to their guild web page there). Either way, I personally do not like the idea of the quick bar slots being perilously close to a link which would take away focus from my EL window, and open another application (web browser).

Have the logo put the links you might be of interest in the chat window. :pinch:

It seems you are interested in going to the EL website.

link for forums

link for main website

.....and then make the url window button blink for 10 seconds or so

or if you wish to just have one link.

It seems you are interested in going to the EL website. link Hit F2 to go there.

If you have to hit F2 or go to the URL window, you won't be opening up your web-browser without actually trying to.

I have written this and commited the patch to CVS.

The link functionality is disabled by default, enable it in Options/HUD tab/"Logo Click To URL".

The link points to http://www.eternal-lands.com by default but can be set to any link (max 128 characters) in Options/HUD tab/"Logo Link")

Changes are saved at game normal exit so the page and option is sticky between sessions.

On-screen items should be limited to things that actually get regularly used.

I would use a "go to forum" button more than I click on my quickbar. I always use alt+key for my spells.

Pro idea labby.