Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dilly

To PK or not to PK?

Could you be interested in a little PK from time to time?  

129 members have voted

1. 1. Do you ever PK?

• PK??? Ewwwww I R teh peacefull harver/potter/alcher and don't even own a weapon bigger than a pickaxe!
    • I tried it a few times, but simply dont enjoy it
    • PK is too expensive -.-
    • I am a pr0 PKer but PK is dead and I spend my time moarning it's loss instead of trying to revive it
    • There aren't many people active in PK for me to get the chance of a reasonably fair fight
    • How do you mean, never?? I live for PK!
  2. 2. What would make PK more appealing to you?

• Ban the special armors and weapons that give people superpowers (e.g. BOD, BROD, but also COTM, Ubber Def greaves, etc)
    • Make rostogol stones cheaper somehow
    • Limit the number of PK areas and make them all capped to a certain level
    • Create more PK areas, matter of fact: PK should be allover
    • Ban PKI.. it makes the strong cockier, and the weak even more scared
    • Stop allowing summonstones to be used in singlecombat arena's
    • Remove PP buying at NPC
    • Other.....

Robotbob.. In NO WAY was this meant to be bitching about anything, and I am really sorry that you take it this way.

You say:

So I assume you define pk "fun" as "winning". I always enjoyed, "barely getting the f*ck out" too.

I can only say in return: I dont define pk fun only when i win. I just wanna feel that at least I have fought my ass off to prevent losing a 16kgc worth rosto instead of losing it within 2 seconds. I that so bad? Is it really that awfull that us ´new guys´ want part in it? Do you remember being a little kid and seeing the bigger kids enjoy themselves and they shut you out cos you just weren´t big enough.. or that they would let you in just to bully you?

Anyway.. please take this as you wish.. I dont mean to enforce my opinion.. matter of fact some of the choices I gave are ideas others came up with and I dont even agree with them myself.

Robotbob.. In NO WAY was this meant to be bitching about anything, and I am really sorry that you take it this way.

You say:

So I assume you define pk "fun" as "winning". I always enjoyed, "barely getting the f*ck out" too.

I can only say in return: I dont define pk fun only when i win. I just wanna feel that at least I have fought my ass off to prevent losing a 16kgc worth rosto instead of losing it within 2 seconds. I that so bad? Is it really that awfull that us ´new guys´ want part in it? Do you remember being a little kid and seeing the bigger kids enjoy themselves and they shut you out cos you just weren´t big enough.. or that they would let you in just to bully you?

Anyway.. please take this as you wish.. I dont mean to enforce my opinion.. matter of fact some of the choices I gave are ideas others came up with and I dont even agree with them myself.

I didn't 'take it' anyway, its a complain list, no? Only one option from the whole poll is not a complaint.

Well the straw man exaggerated question I can't answer because I never said that is was bad 'new guys' wanted to join in.

Again another exaggeration: "I have fought my ass off to prevent losing a 16kgc worth rosto instead of losing it within 2 seconds. "

I can say since the cap, it takes nearly a 70ad difference in A\D to get anything close to insta-killing someone.

But there will be someone winning a lot, and someone losing a lot, and you will never have the system made to where everyone has reached 1:1 kill:die ratio.

I apologize if it seems I am attacking you, I'm only against the circle pk is dead loop.

as you please robotbob.

just sad you miss the fact that i am not saying PK is dead.. that is YOUR interpretation of this.

she's not saying that the 'circle pk is a dead loop'. she's trying to let the people who haven't pked often be able to voice their opinion.

one of the major points of this thread that i agree on, is much higher a/d'ers attacking and killed low level ones, especially when they're just training. when i was mid 30's ad, i tried training on the armed gobs in the nc no cave (before i knew there were many of them in sedi). someone who is upper 110's low 120's ad came and pked me. obviously, that's FINE because 1) i was in a pk map and 2) we weren't in allied guilds. HOWEVER, it sucked, and has turned me off pking a bit. i agree with con in that those who would like pk to become even more active than it is now should think about that (especially of that person doesn't give pki) :\

By far all of my best PK has been on the PK server for a number of reasons:

1. No cooldown helps A LOT (I've chugged many BRs while fighting an opponent with far higher a/d/p/c than I and made them diss)

2. Most people fight in cheap gear

3. Rostos are only $1

By far all of my best PK has been on the PK server for a number of reasons:

1. No cooldown helps A LOT (I've chugged many BRs while fighting an opponent with far higher a/d/p/c than I and made them diss)

2. Most people fight in cheap gear

3. Rostos are only $1

I have only one thing to add Multiplaying

Otherwise, Read my Signature :)

I would also add the community on the PK server as a plus. Many people on the server pulling together to try and get the GIWS online. Also, the (unofficial) community rule that say no PK during invasions so everyone gets to have fun. There's just a different "feel" over there (even with people PKing me when I'm not careful).

And btw I forgot that rosto price thing... Would be nice to get rostos cheaper on main too :) I have heard people saying that they are not pking because rostos are so expensive nowadays. If rostos would be 1$ on main too, it would make more pk action for sure. But maybe harvesters would complain after that, because they don't get so much money from rostos, but who cares! Pkers will have fun and that's the most important thing :)

And someone said that it's "easy" to get pki from ant_queen, but I disagree. I have 4,15 pki and even I have killed both ant_queen maybe more than 15 times iirc (can't check how many fights I have, because I'm in work atm, but something like 42 in total iirc), it's just maybe 0,10 points from my pki :)

people wanna be able to pwn everyone but dont like to be pwnd.

if you ask people they will only like it when they'r able to pwn but people cant pwn them

what do i think?

god complex ftl

kill or be killed, not fight fair.

Edited by Tempest

But there's not much point in blaming players because you cant get a fair fight, there's always gonna be some people out there who'll interfere... having the game itself enforce fair fights (especially at low-mid a/d) is a solution much more likely to be effective. imo anyway.

Expecting folks to not exhibit self-control is commonplace in EL. It's not the main reason folks don't PK, but it is one reason. I like to PVP where it's safe w/ allies. Fighting for experience so I can one day attack a dragon and live longer then 1 hit is something I look forward to. Pvp training helps alot quicker then mob training.

I don't play the pk aspect of the game, and the reason is that some folks seem to think it is good to just hit the weak who stand no chance against them. I imagine that a lot of others who would love to try are similar to me on this.

Having said that - I do run through KF fairly regularly trying to avoid the pk'ers, and I enjoy doing that immensely - it's a good adrenaline rush (not something you get much of in front of a pc). Feel free to attack me when I'm running through KF after the mercury. Sadly, the people I have seen in KF don't seem to be too sociable and rarely reply to my PM of a smiley when I'm killed. I can understand you ignoring someone whining for their gear back, but a smiley? I send them to show I don't mind having been killed, but I have only ever received a smiley back on 2 occasions.

If there was a little more fun from pk'ers instead of such seriousness, that would improve things (see above about ignoring those you have killed).

Try talking to the lower level folks you have killed and give them some tips on how to improve their fighting - perhaps even come out of KF and heal them at molgor. You could show that you see it as a game (see above about seriousness)

Yes, shiny armours look great, and I'm very happy that you have the special stuff - you worked for it, I'm sure. How about trying to play a little in the kind of things that newer players can reasonably acquire? That way new players don't see the position of pk players as being unattainable or so serious (see above again)

The big point of this post? It's very obvious that you all enjoy pk a lot, so lighten up and help new people to enjoy pk as much as you do.

EDIT:

when they'r able to pwn but people cant pwn them

what do i think?

god complex ftl

Thankyou Temp

Give others a chance to learn and enjoy

Edited by Matty27

But maybe harvesters would complain after that, because they don't get so much money from rostos, but who cares!

Well, they only get 4-7kgc for all other stones (excluding removal stones), i dont see how they could complain, it just brings rostos in line with the other stones, lol.

At no point does the list ever try to answer the first question:

"What would make PK more appealing to you?"

No options like, nifty new magic, weapons, blood curdling screams. :)

It makes sense that options to "make PK more appealing" would not include the addition of even more stuff.

The indisputable trend has been that the introduction of more stuff has always been bad for PK. I mean, PK was more active when pr0est armor was iron plate and best wep was Ti serp, no?

The key difference between then and now is that PK was cheaper and there was no overpowered items in a price range that's unrealistic for average-joe-pk'er.

I think the options Dilly presented represent what at least appears to be the most common reasons preventing new people from starting to PK, and with her poll we can see which ones of those are the biggest issues.

It's extremely rare to see suggestions for "nifty new magic, weapons, blood curdling screams" so why would such pre-set options be included? ...for those things, as you did mention, there is a "Other..." button anyways.

kill or be killed, not fight fair.

Well Temp, that certainly appears to be yours, Robotbob's and some peoples opinion, but it seems many other people disagree with you and would like to be able to have some fair fights without risk of much stronger people interfering.

All that really needs to be determined is if those people are the majority... and if they are, why should your minority vision of what PK should be take preference over theirs?

But there's not much point in blaming players because you cant get a fair fight, there's always gonna be some people out there who'll interfere... having the game itself enforce fair fights (especially at low-mid a/d) is a solution much more likely to be effective. imo anyway.

Expecting folks to not exhibit self-control is commonplace in EL. It's not the main reason folks don't PK, but it is one reason. I like to PVP where it's safe w/ allies. Fighting for experience so I can one day attack a dragon and live longer then 1 hit is something I look forward to. Pvp training helps alot quicker then mob training.

Well, ya... ok... but PvP training isn't the issue being addressed in this thread.

Some people are saying they want to be able to have fair PK fights... we all know that 'safe n fair' PvP training can be done in a guild map or even remote c2 PK spots.

Edited by Korrode

These fair fight that people are talking about. The idea of guilds is, that they kill enemies together. Not 1vs1 and others watch outside arena. Of course u can say that u want 1vs1 and at least I will respect it. But it's more fun to see whose guild is strongest :)

I really love (hate) GODZ because of this (I think like Scarface now):

Gangbanning Persian_empire with half of the GODZ guild: Fair.

Persian_empire calls help and we gangbang GODZ: we are n00bs because can't fight 1vs1.

Tyrannis and Scarface fighting me in KF with 1M tigers: Fair.

CA$H pwning Scarface together in KF: we are n00bs because can't fight him 1vs1.

And everytime whatever happens, Scarface keeps saying that GODZ won etc.

hang on hang on hang on hang on

who is "tyrannis and scarface"?!?! i thought GODZ guild was a game feature run by the server that drops 2785623532 white tigers in KF occasionally :confused:

:P

on-topic:

These fair fight that people are talking about. The idea of guilds is, that they kill enemies together. Not 1vs1 and others watch outside arena. Of course u can say that u want 1vs1 and at least I will respect it. But it's more fun to see whose guild is strongest :D

I wouldn't say that's "the idea of guilds", and certainly dont think that's all EL PK is intended to be... i mean, why would non-MC arenas even exist then?

A place for guild wars (KF) and a place where fair fights can be had (doesn't exist) is desirable imo.

Edited by Korrode

on-topic:
These fair fight that people are talking about. The idea of guilds is, that they kill enemies together. Not 1vs1 and others watch outside arena. Of course u can say that u want 1vs1 and at least I will respect it. But it's more fun to see whose guild is strongest :confused:

I wouldn't say that's "the idea of guilds", and certainly dont think that's all EL PK is intended to be... i mean, why would non-MC arenas even exist then?

A place for guild wars (KF) and a place where fair fights can be had (doesn't exist) is desirable imo.

Yes secondly that's true :P But still u can ask for ff or 1vs1 fight and MOST people will respect it. Of course there can be someone who will still interface. But mostly fight that happens at arenas, are just that someone attack and tries to kill other player. At least I attack always in intention (hmm dunno is this word is correct... Dont have dictionary now lol) to kill someone, if it's not ff. So in this case it's ok, that opponent's guildies helps him, that he won't die. Or my guildies can help me to kill him. This is my opinion.

But yes KF is best place to see whose guild is strongest :D

why wont I go to PK ? Easy !! Because no matter what gets spoken about on these forums, if I walk into Kilaran Field, someone with 50 levels higher a/d than me and full p/c is going to wander over with a thermal serp & make me p00f in seconds. Thats not fun, thats 17k worth of boring.

thats fine, thats EL pk

*edit* not saying EL is boring, or EL pk for that matter, was invloved in a Total War recently and was the most fun ive had in ages

Edited by Ateh

You want to know how to make PK more active.

FIGHT!

Look if more people ran contest like Korrode would do or others then I promise that there will be more PK. Problem is now with PK is that...

1. Nobody wants to loose PKI points. Although why should this really matter anyway its a game. (Both pros & cons with this)

2. Rostogol stones are expensive (although the coin you save by having one is big pro) *read my rosto quote on the bottom*

What I am trying to say is...

NO INCENTIVE for pk other than bragging rights that are only had by uber high lvl characters.

Why not run PK contest 1 time each week or more with prizes donated by a "PK council" that worked together to supply prizes each week.

I think with a lot of people working together it wont take very much work at all. The benefit would be greater because more people would want to join in on the fun rather than stick it out in PK alone against people you cannot beat.

EDIT btw have you ever seen all the people that show up for these contest? Look for screens. TONS

Edited by Paul Brown

Ok, i'm not a pro PKer and i'm not a regular on PK maps, i suck at PKing and a while ago i was gona try to learn the skill of PKing and all the tricks and tactics to use but the only thing that bums me out is that when i get in on a PK map 99,9% of the times i get attacked by multiple oponents, 1 attacks and while having problems staying alive against him/her their friend also jumps in and i'm stone cold within seconds after and that really sucks.

I have nothing against the uber PKers thats so much stronger then me that they don't even have to touch me to kill me, i put up as much of a fight as i can against them, not gona diss and run from anyone no matter how strong they are i stay and fight as long as i can.

But since my experience is that most of the times i get attacked by 2 opponents at the same time (or one jumps in after a couple of seconds) i only go to PK maps on NDDs to learn more about PKing cos then i don't have to care if i get attacked by 2 or more ppl at the same time (still annoyhing tho) and die all the time.

But since my experience is that most of the times i get attacked by 2 opponents at the same time (or one jumps in after a couple of seconds) i only go to PK maps on NDDs to learn more about PKing cos then i don't have to care if i get attacked by 2 or more ppl at the same time (still annoyhing tho) and die all the time.

because you're free #pki :)

on-topic:
These fair fight that people are talking about. The idea of guilds is, that they kill enemies together. Not 1vs1 and others watch outside arena. Of course u can say that u want 1vs1 and at least I will respect it. But it's more fun to see whose guild is strongest :)

Yes secondly that's true :) But still u can ask for ff or 1vs1 fight and MOST people will respect it. Of course there can be someone who will still interface. But mostly fight that happens at arenas, are just that someone attack and tries to kill other player. At least I attack always in intention (hmm dunno is this word is correct... Dont have dictionary now lol) to kill someone, if it's not ff. So in this case it's ok, that opponent's guildies helps him, that he won't die. Or my guildies can help me to kill him. This is my opinion.

But yes KF is best place to see whose guild is strongest :)

100% agree with korrode, KF/TD etc you expect to get multied so its not an issue (big guild/ally fights are cool) but the problem is imo with arena's.Some players might want to take up PK to test their char against others and 90% of the time this is impossible (as people just diss catch or pass the diss if they cant kill a player 1 v 1).

Liquid sums it up in his post when he walked past Nca and everyone was sat outside, I walked past at the same time as well and the problem was 2 guilds allied/non-att with each other and 1 person from their enemies guild.

That one person isnt going to walk into Nca no matter how much he enjoys PK because he is just going to get ganged which = everyone sat there getting no PK

IMO (and maybe im wrong) but if everyone stood back and Respected arena's should be 1 v 1 fights then more players would risk entering, more players entering = more PK for all (which is what we all want right ?) .

If players knew they could walk in an arena have a fight, diss and walk out with just a "Gratz nice fight your char is better than mine" a hell of alot more PK would take place.

To me anyway PK should be about the Fun of the fight and not just about winning .

Edited by conavar

its pk, that means PLAYER KILLING so player dieing is part of the thing. if no1 loses anything its not pk anymore but somekind of silly nintendo sportsgame. :)

after reading all this posts here i think ppl dont got what its about. if you want to pk this means what you get your ass kicked a lot of times and you have to work hard and improve your skills to kick back. pk is a mean thing. :)

stupid thread that is commented by players who have never experienced real pk(except jaclaw and tempest)

pk is dead because of nature of players who play these days. They r scared to even lose rostogol, not talking about destroy their special armor, weapons etc. Now the big score is to stay 16 hours/day at yeti spawn and sell gc for $. Like all polish from top20 do...no wonder that they have no time for pk. And the rest of players?Honestly what have u done to make pk alive???Except posting one pointless topic after another?

Better than this u all should firstly experience pk and then talk. Weaker ones got attribute caps..and what happened????NOTHING!!!

all these who didnt fight before caps, still dont fight....and these who actually did fight(ambrosius, ohmygod, siarato), they stopped playing

its pk, that means PLAYER KILLING so player dieing is part of the thing. if no1 loses anything its not pk anymore but somekind of silly nintendo sportsgame. :)

after reading all this posts here i think ppl dont got what its about. if you want to pk this means what you get your ass kicked a lot of times and you have to work hard and improve your skills to kick back. pk is a mean thing. :)

Very true

But this topic is how to make PK more appealing to those who dont do it, not those like us who have died countless times to Toom/Omg etc.. we know the score and dont care . Maybe you just need a "dont give a fook" attitude to PK :)

Trying to kill someone's character just doesn't appeal to me. I'm glad to play a game that allows me to do other skills - that's what's fun for me.

One option left out of the list of suggestions to improve PK is "Make rostogol stones more expensive". The current market price for rostos was based on the value of the best equipment in the game that you might lose: full iron and a serpent sword! Modern equipment is much more valuable but people still sell rostogols for the old price.