Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

PK points

Do you like the idea of PK points?  

170 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the idea of PK points?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe/I don't care.

The asymetric PK points idea (where you get more or less points based on the opponent's points):

The main problem with it is that once you reach a certain limit (say, 100, 1K, etc.), it will become very hard to get more points because the difference between you and the other guy is too big.

And like I said, I want the total sum of PK points in the game to be 0, and this system would make it hard/unfair (for example, if someone with 0 PK points kills someone with 100 PK points, the 'big' guy would lose 10 in order for the 'little' guy to gain 10).

So I like a simple system, where when you PK someone you get one point, and when you get PKed you lose one.

I would, only count REAL summons, not stones. Anyone with decent alch and harvesting could go out, get 100k, buy some giant stones, get some HE, LE, and spirit ess, and prance around KF healing 5 giants as they kill everyone in their path to get Pk points. If you had to actually use some summoning skill, that would be eliminated.

By your logic, only the people killed with the weapon YOU MADE should count...

The only thing that concerns me, is cheating protection. For example, if I fight my friend for fun (both with leathers and staffs lets say), we get points as well. We could repeat the fight lets say, and get more points. If you consider this as cheating, then people can't fight for fun, not good. If you consider this ok, people do fake points.

I guess reading English is too hard for you?

I would, only count REAL summons, not stones. Anyone with decent alch and harvesting could go out, get 100k, buy some giant stones, get some HE, LE, and spirit ess, and prance around KF healing 5 giants as they kill everyone in their path to get Pk points. If you had to actually use some summoning skill, that would be eliminated.

By your logic, only the people killed with the weapon YOU MADE should count...

That's not how I read it. (Oh and my English reading skills are exceptional by the way :) )

You use your magic skill in combat to kill an opponent, it will give you a point

You use your summoning skill (a pure combat skill yes?) in combat to kill an opponent, and you do not get a point

You kill someone using a ring of damage that someone else made, and you get a point.

S.

^what he said....although Ent. does have a good point, we're talking about combat, and i don't think manufacturing is a combat skill, therefore should have no input into combat based systems...But you're the big cheese, its your game, and i'll play no matter what.

-Shuj

No, you are arguing that only the things you make yourself (summoning animals, not summoning stones) should count for a kill.

A sword and armor is much more effective (in the long term) than a summoning stone. You can't separate the money from the player, EL is a mixed class game, so if you can aquire and use summon stones, then so be it, more power to you.

No, you are arguing that only the things you make yourself (summoning animals, not summoning stones) should count for a kill.

I could care less who made the summoning stone. My point is that summoning is a combat skill, and if you cant use a combat skill to earn a point in a combat based points tally, then there is something wrong.

I don't believe that at any point I said that summoning stone kills shouldn't count towards a pk point either. it is part of the armoury, much like a damage ring is. if you don't count kill by summoning stone towards the tally, nor should you by a ring of damage (it was the ring that killed him/her right?)

S.

The ring of damage requires some combat skill (you can't kill someone at those levels with the rings alone).

The summonings do not always require any skill, you can kill people by just summoning stuff, and not even having to fight them.

WOW AWESOME IDEA!! I WONDER WHO SUGGESTED IT!! :icon13:

edit : i hope this guy will get some kind of reward \o/ XD :mace:

Edited by Kakuzu

Your idea is not that unique, and with most of the ideas it has been suggested before, and it's been done before since pretty much the beginning of organized sports (or even before that).

@Kobor

That's a very interesting system. But as the wikipedia article points out, it might discourage PKing for some players, and cause most players that want to increase their points to go and attack the highest target only.

cause most players that want to increase their points to go and attack the highest target only.

is that really a bad thing? i see this happening anyway with the current +1/-1 (probably not to the same extent but still a little)

edit: on second thought they might go more for the lowest ranked one for the "easy" points. yeah, thats probably more likely with this system

Edited by Happy_G

is that really a bad thing? i see this happening anyway with the current +1/-1 (probably not to the same extent but still a little)

Yes, it is. I want a system that encourages and rewards any kind of PKing, not just stalking the high rated players and wait until you can get them while they are handicaped (inadequate armor, low health, etc.)

Guest Trojan_Knight

Ent, I have a question or two. First though, I like the idea of 75 a/d = 150. I think that is fair in a sence. I also think maybe there could possibly be a pre version for those that are lessor. Unsure if that is a possiblity. But heres my questions before I vote.

~How would this be implimented or calculated for those that pvp? I mean sometimes ya train, and they guy ya training against may die. I know there has been number of occassions where myself or my training partner have died. So that leads to my next question.

~How would two people that pvp be able to ensure themselfs from not having they're pk points reset? I mean yeah its not hard to tell when someone is uber abusing something like this. But some of us, like myself, have brain farts often. And we try to multi task when we shouldnt. Thus resulting in death while pvp "sometimes", so I am curious to how ya would solve something in this senerio.

~TK

edit: on second thought they might go more for the lowest ranked one for the "easy" points. yeah, thats probably more likely with this system

Is, the 1 to 1 system encourages going after the weaker players. However, there are more low level players than high level players, so it becomes easier to just PK, rather than having to wait for the big guys to come so that you can PK them.

And there is another problem here: You, a low level player, can team up with a higher level player that helps you fight another high level player. So your friend does most of the work, then you just finish the kill, and your rank is greately inflated.

~How would this be implimented or calculated for those that pvp? I mean sometimes ya train, and they guy ya training against may die. I know there has been number of occassions where myself or my training partner have died. So that leads to my next question.

There will be no differentiation between PK and PVP. You die, you die.

~How would two people that pvp be able to ensure themselfs from not having they're pk points reset? I mean yeah its not hard to tell when someone is uber abusing something like this. But some of us, like myself, have brain farts often. And we try to multi task when we shouldnt. Thus resulting in death while pvp "sometimes", so I am curious to how ya would solve something in this senerio.

Assuming that you PvP with someone of an equivalent level with yours, sometimes you will die, sometimes they will die. So both's PK points will be unaffected (or little affected). I am sure people will not like PvPing with someone that kills them too often and causes them to lose too many points.

One alternative to make things fair is to let the other person kill you in return, to even out the points.

just a quick question, i love the idea but y need lvl 75/75 to start getting and losing points, there are plenty of people that like to PK who are 60/60 (personaly i think anyone PKing b4 60/60 is wasting time and money) a combined lvl of 120 still takes a long time to get and will prevent the alts being made to kill for points.

could you possibly answer this plz, a few others are curious as well. even if the answer is just "b/c thats what i chose" or if there is a...dont want to say 'better' but thats the only word i can think of...better answer. even an answer of just b/c will be happily accepted by me, the line does need to be somewhere so...yeah

:icon13: thank you

Happy_G

edit: and i assume there will be a comand to check points just like #frags right?

Edited by Happy_G

Guest Trojan_Knight

There will be no differentiation between PK and PVP. You die, you die.

Assuming that you PvP with someone of an equivalent level with yours, sometimes you will die, sometimes they will die. So both's PK points will be unaffected (or little affected). I am sure people will not like PvPing with someone that kills them too often and causes them to lose too many points.

One alternative to make things fair is to let the other person kill you in return, to even out the points.

Thanks for the replies. I have yet another question, and it shall be my last. Would there be any way possible, that maybe a item could be used, that when carried. Would result in pk points being disabled when both pvp'rs or all involved in the fight, so that these pk points not be increased or decreased? Im not a programer or anything like that. Im just a gamer wondering :icon13: Now that I think about it, it may be a ridiculous question, cuz in a way. It could be viewed in a sense which brings us back to where this thread started from. So idk. :mace: thanks again,

~TK

just a quick question, i love the idea but y need lvl 75/75 to start getting and losing points, there are plenty of people that like to PK who are 60/60 (personaly i think anyone PKing b4 60/60 is wasting time and money) a combined lvl of 120 still takes a long time to get and will prevent the alts being made to kill for points.

Because lower than 75 a/d you don't really have a chance to participate in PK outside of some arenas and win. The higher the level required, the less likely to have it abused.

And yes, there will be a way to check the 'frags' you have, and they will be displayed on the stats page (and in a top).

@Trojan_Knight

Yes, of course such an item would be possible, but it is not desirable. It would be against the idea of frags.

What I MIGHT do, however, is to make guild maps not count frags, because they are usually the only places used for PvP, and there is little PKing going on in guild maps due to the bots.

From Eternal Lands official site, "Skill Overview" page:

You can summon for fun, or a common practise is to summon in pk (player kill) maps

for attacking your enemies.

I still think summoning (not the stones) should count: even the official site of EL

says it is a PK skill.

If the players involved have att+def 150 and more, the old summoning way allows just

few monsters to be effective.

These monsters have a cost, but above all, in PK, they cost mana so this is a huge

limit to use army of giants and so on (without to mention the summoners problems to

use a CoM instead a CoL, or the opposite, or the loss of time to wear the conjurer cloak instead

a fight cloak... Yes, these are details but in PK every second is precious).

I mean: summoners have several limitations and the first is att/def (with some exceptions) and

I'm asking just a chance about old summoning way.

The summoning is a PK skill just as defense is. You don't score kills with your defense, but having a high defense didn't hurt anyone :icon13:

What about a title system too?

10 PK Points = "Chancer Placid"

20 PK Points = "Brute Placid"

40 PK Points = "Assassin Placid"

80 PK Points = "Executioner Placid"

etc.

(OK, this idea was lifted wholesale from Anarchy Online, but believe me it's an addictive system...)

I vote a "Big" yes

I think this idee will stimulate PK alot in general!! . You can say one thing about this game

The peeps who are playing it, like's lists and levels alot so I think its a great idea.!!

But i'm not a Pk-er . just a friendly manuer and hydro miner :happy: .

And al those smashing metals , broken Jags vaporized armors.

Sounds like music in my ears. :devlish:

Ok, I didn't read this post first so I made my suggestion to prevent abuse at the "OMG, the PK is dead" thread.

So I'm posting my suggestion here as well;

You create/already have an alt character named Player B. You bring Player B to a PK area and then take Player A, your main character, to that PK area and click on the attack icon and then click on Player B.

You get a message like this;

"You cannot attack someone that has the same IP with you."

And so your plan to attack an alt and get tons of PK points will fail.

Edited by Chimeran Wolf

Ok, I didn't read this post first so I made my suggestion to prevent abuse at the "OMG, the PK is dead" thread.

So I'm posting my suggestion here as well;

You create/already have an alt character named Player B. You bring Player B to a PK area and then take Player A, your main character, to that PK area and click on the attack icon and then click on Player B.

You get a message like this;

"You cannot attack someone that has the same IP with you."

And so your plan to attack an alt and get tons of PK points will fail.

So I ask my cousin Cyprom to make an alt and bring it to PK and let me kill it numerous times.

Your plan is worth: One big fat 0.

-Blee