Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Scratch

some new harvesting events

I don't think being stung by a bee is appropriate for feces collecting. So how about some new ones unique to this activity.

You were overcome by the awful stench, passed out & hit you head receiving ?? amount of damage.

You accidentily ignited a methane cloud receiving ?? amount of damage.

The outhouse wall caved in .....

You contracted dysentery from being a fecalphiliac.....

You fell in .....

You were pissed on by Mother Nature receiving ?? amount of damage. :)

Edit: It would also be fun to find unicorn skat around WS.

Edited by Scratch

That's funny shit. :P

Anyways, I think it's exaggerating a bit to introduce events for just one item. I don't know if there are other "hazardous" harvestables (coming with update or planned for later), but if that's the case this suggestion could be turned towards general events for hazardous items (such as a bee sting is a generally not unlikely with flowers).

That said, I guess we don't really know enough of what's to come there to suggest things at the moment :P

Normal harvest event -> special outhouse event

Stung by a bee -> bitten by a fly

Radon pouch -> methane pocket

Cavern wall -> outhouse seat (fell on your head hitting you for x damage)

Leather gloves broke -> leather gloves were eaten through

A bit on the edge of good taste but (mentioned above):

Mother Nature got pissed off at -> Mother Nature pissed on

And as I mentioned elsewhere, people are always dropping stuff in the bathroom, so it should be possible to find stuff:

bkc56 found a Titanium Chain Mail, washed it off and it's as good as new.

And since people are always passing kidney and gall stones, you should be able to find stones in there too.

Edited by bkc56

Yes, actually someone else suggested a special outhouses category. And I think I am going to do it.

:wub:

Now I'm scared :wub:

great idea, and I like bkcs idea of getting random junk :wub:

so maybe you can only get degraded items, and make them extremely rare

"You forgot to wash your hands and ate some food. You now have food poisoning"

"The smell got to you, and now your lunch and stomach are no longer one." (Puts food level to -30)

:wub:

I also thought about finding stuff in the outhouse, but thought more of stuff like watches and belts.

But finding armor is a good idea. And since the shit is the international symbol for luck, that armor should give better critical chances.

I also thought about finding stuff in the outhouse, but thought more of stuff like watches and belts.

We don't (yet) have accessories like watches/belts, but we DO (or will after the update) have hats. It's pretty easy for one of those to slip off when you're doing your thing in an outhouse. And you think anyone is going to climb down there to retrieve their lost hat? :o

I doubt it's worth the effort, but with the new eye-candy it could be pretty funny to have anyone who's harvested at an outhouse carry a "cloud" with them for a while after (say for 10 minutes or so). I mean in real life, it would be pretty obvious where they'd just been I think... :D

But finding armor is a good idea. And since the shit is the international symbol for luck, that armor should give better critical chances.

Armour found in an outhouse should give you better defense anyway. It will stink so bad your opponent would have trouble getting close enough to hit you. :D

Whats this? Are outhouses going to be harvestable resources now?

:o

Surely you'll need the "Antisocial" perk to be able to do this job...

:D

I may have said this in humor, but this could be an interesting twist if outhouses are harvestable. I can think of two possible approaches:

1. Antisocial perk required to harvest from a dunny, as above.

2. Dunny-panning reduces Vitality by 1 point per attempt (Antisocial may grant immunity). Harvesting stops when Vitality reaches zero. This should cause Charm and Health to be reduced, and remember that attributes recover 1 point per minute normally, or can be "healed" using a "Potion of Vitality".

This brings in two new approaches:

• Positive benefits from a negative perk: If perks were less positive-or-negative, but had both good and bad sides within a perk, they may be used less as an exploit to gain more pick points, and more as a way to add individuality through special abilities. Most perks would then cost a few PPs, few having negative PP costs, but since they can be better balanced within themselves, the PP costs could be smaller.
  • Using attribute reduction to cap activities: The attribute boosting/recovery potions become more useful, and gives more uses for all attributes. Reducing a primary attribute should reduce the corresponding cross-attributes, but if only one primary is being reduced, no cross-attribute should drop to zero (which would be unfortunate for health).

So dung collection is a high level harvest task? Not sure why [1] -- its not a position you'd really aspire to is it? Well, I'll look forward to seeing how it all fits together. Meanwhile, on the profession of dung collecting:

• The original Baldrick prided himself on being a dung gatherer, like his father before him. A position he'd worked upto, from pig milker and mucking out lepers.
  • Tony Robinson (actor who played Baldrick) tried some pretty dire jobs in "Worst Jobs in History", including wattle-and-dauber, groom of the stool, saltpetre man, and pure collector (at best these where taking the piss, at worse full of sh...). (I think there was also a US TV series in a similar vein).

• The dung collector is still an untouchable profession in certain societies (dung as a valuable fuel source).

[1] If its to fill a gap in the task lists, regardless of the task's nature; this would be risky; too many 'quirks' result in a daft game system. At high levels I'd expect to be doing spectacular things, not mundane.

Edited by trollson

:o

Actually, that sounds like a neat idea. Have one of the harvesting events for dung be "You slipped and fell in", at which point you become temporarily Anti.

Have it last until the start of the next hour, or until the player walks into an area where it's raining...

2. Dunny-panning reduces Vitality by 1 point per attempt (Antisocial may grant immunity). ...[/b].

As if the current requirements aren't bad enough, you're suggesting it be made even worse? :D

2. Dunny-panning reduces Vitality by 1 point per attempt (Antisocial may grant immunity). ...[/b].

As if the current requirements aren't bad enough, you're suggesting it be made even worse? :omg:

i agree, im lvl 60 harvest and it takes way to long for me to think about harvesting it for the exp. (ive heard its lvl 100 rec)

and? skills like crafting and manu have things that only the top leveled players do... why can't harv have something only practical for the top however many as well?

I don't think there should be a positive point for having antisocial perk. It's already 10 easy pp so giving it more advantages would just be overkill.

If this was totally an RPG, the antisocial for dung harv would make perfect sense, but since its not, let's skip it. I do however like the vitality reduction during harvest. I have piles of the vit potion already to go in storage. :P

Why should you be antisocial in order to harvest shit? Anyone can do it in real life, yes?
Feel free to harvest shit in RL, and see if anyone wants to deal with you.

:P

As for anyone being able to do it -- its certainly an unskilled task, which anyone could do, but Health & Safety may have something to say about that. Consider though that in certain cultures such a job is reserved for the bottom strata of society (the "untouchable" classes), who are effectively EL's antisocials.

"Who's that then?"

"I dunno, must be a King."

"Why?"

"He hasn't got shit all over him"

- Monty Python & The Holy Grail

Edited by trollson

Why should you be antisocial in order to harvest shit? Anyone can do it in real life, yes?
Feel free to harvest shit in RL, and see if anyone wants to deal with you.

They're showers over in SRM (and probably elsewhere). I suppose you can choose to walk around covered in, umm, 'stuff', but I'll go take a shower and clean up. :(

Edited by bkc56

:P

Actually, that sounds like a neat idea. Have one of the harvesting events for dung be "You slipped and fell in", at which point you become temporarily Anti.

Have it last until the start of the next hour, or until the player walks into an area where it's raining...

why not make a npc weatherman you pay him x amount of gc and he tells you where it's raining and where it's going to rain in the next 5 minutes with a 10% chance to get it wrong.

also there are some pools of water that you can walk in and sit down.

I.E. the water by the dp school

you could use that to wash off also

About the bees, I have seen bees swarming around garbage before. Maybe someone was eating a banana on the royal throne and left the peel on the floor.

About the bees, I have seen bees swarming around garbage before. Maybe someone was eating a banana on the royal throne and left the peel on the floor.

garbage bees? Don't want the honey they produce. :devlish:

Thought of anouther event:

You were attacked by a swarm of dung beetles....

This would never happen in RL but then I have never been teleported while picking flowers either.

Oh smeg! Thought of something else. When you hit a teleport nexus during dung harvest, you should be teleported to a sewer. :hehe: