Eternal Lands Official Forums

When looking in "bans" i see lots of ppl which either haven't read or understood rules so i suggest that after logging in game, and before loading the map/house/whatever you should pass a small rules trivia/quiz/(call it what you like) to actually get in the game. Let's say if you get 4 out of 5 answers correct you can get in otherwise you're disconnected (or client shuts down).

Maybe ppl will start reading those rules :P

P.S. search didn't came up with anything useful

You mean when you start the game? I, for one, would be reluctant to play a game that makes you take a quiz when you start. :/

You mean when you start the game? I, for one, would be reluctant to play a game that makes you take a quiz when you start. :/

It'd be like old "Leasure Suit Larry" games (there was a quiz at the start to determine "censurship lvl" :P ),

but just check how many "WTF, i didnt know it waz against teh rulz" replys are there in "bans" :D

It's a good idea, but shouldn't you have 5/5 ?

It could be also 10/10... not important really - just to have majorty of answers right :)

Edited by skodarap

I'm all for it, great idea!

I for one, am reluctant to be very sympathetic to people who agreed they read and understand the rules when they clicked "I agree" or "I accept" yet break them and claim ignorance.

So if reading some rules about the game you intend to spend time playing in is a problem, I for one am reluctant to really want you here.

Erm what about players that play EL for ages? Will we have to do that every single time we start EL? That would be very annoying.

Erm what about players that play EL for ages? Will we have to do that every single time we start EL? That would be very annoying.

Erm yes good point, that would be incredibly annoying...

Well if that could be handled, it'd be a great idea! :)

I agree. Taking a quiz after loading every single map would put almost everyone out of the game. It should be right after they click "I accept".

Of course, if all of the rules were clearly defined, we wouldn't have these problems... :)

Of course, if all of the rules were clearly defined, we wouldn't have these problems... :)

Don't go there :dry:

I agree. Taking a quiz after loading every single map would put almost everyone out of the game. It should be right after they click "I accept".

I ment after clicking "log in"

Instead of making rules' quiz just make test that will check whether players can understand written text. Result will be same - half players won't even create character.

Regards

Van

What about non-English speaking players? They would have no chance.

That's a good reason, but how can you accept and follow the rules if you even can't understand english? :omg:

Being disconnected would be a little harsh...

I mean, if I was in a hurry to reach Portland for something very important and I was in Isla Prima at the time, I'd have to take three boats which means three sets of quizes.

Or if I lost a death bag.

Or if I was in an event.

But it'd be fun to have a mini test during the log-on, for the fun of it! :omg:

- Sistema.

Being disconnected would be a little harsh...

I mean, if I was in a hurry to reach Portland for something very important and I was in Isla Prima at the time, I'd have to take three boats which means three sets of quizes.

Or if I lost a death bag.

Or if I was in an event.

Hmmm, I never ment everytime u change a map, but it seems you got my point :omg:

But it'd be fun to have a mini test during the log-on , for the fun of it! :P

- Sistema.

My prior post was just sarcasm. In my opinion such quiz should never be IN game. It's just bad idea - it would make the impression of having police game - that the rules are MOST important, while it's the fun what counts the most.

Rules are there to make make the fun possible for majority. If you break rules you are not allowed to say - "didn't know" - it's your duty to read them.

Such quiz might be not bad idea as an addition to the punishment, though.

When looking in "bans" i see lots of ppl which either haven't read or understood rules so i suggest that after logging in game, and before loading the map/house/whatever you should pass a small rules trivia/quiz/(call it what you like) to actually get in the game. Let's say if you get 4 out of 5 answers correct you can get in otherwise you're disconnected (or client shuts down).

Hmmm, I never ment everytime u change a map, but it seems you got my point :)

Didn't you? O.o

Didn't you? O.o

Err... I think he means after logging in, but before displaying the game screen. Not every time you change maps.

Hmmm, I never ment everytime u change a map, but it seems you got my point :)

Didn't you? O.o

Didn't you? O.o

Err... I think he means after logging in, but before displaying the game screen. Not every time you change maps.

It's clearly said: before loading the map/house/whatever :P

Still - I don't like this idea.

Game is not school - you don't have to know all rules by heart. Most of them are very intuitive. If only don't do things you wouldn't dare in your real life you're safe. There are some rules that needs to be reminded from time to time like multilanguage, summoning, and similar, but they're minority.

I can't imagine people standing in the middle of market square shouting: 'gimmie free stuff' or 'f u u bastard' - still no clue why they come here and do this:S

Rules quiz won't stop them from playing - they will answer questions, log in and go straight to beam with words 'gimme free stuffz0r a...hole'.

Regards

Vanyel

It's a good idea but i agree with Van here, ppl would just answer the Qs and then get in-game and do whatever they want even if they know it's against the rules.

I don't think the problem is that people don't know the rules, but that somehow they think that not knowing the rules should somehow be a shortcut arount the rules...

The rules aren't meant to be rigid, which has been a point of contention - the problem is that there are people who do read the rules, and then try to find a way around the rules, doing things they know will be unfair, then trying to claim it "wasn't specifically in the rules". Now, if every specific situation was written in the rules, the rules would have to be 50 pages long!

It should seem pretty much intuitive that if it says "No summong in populated areas", then summoning right outside of a storage building is a definite NO, but people still do it. It should seem fairly obvious that if you can't have two characters run by you helping each other, but it still happens. The "I didn't know" excuse is as overused as the "it was my <person/animal/ficus>" excuse - You lose "I didn't know" when you click that button that says "I Accept" under the notice that clicking that button means that you have read and agree to follow these rules - heck, I think that "I didn't know" should be grounds for permanent banning for breach of contract.

That said, I want to address this "quiz" idea - I actually like it, but only for the time after the rules first pop-up on a fresh install of the client, or after the New Character button is pushed.

I think it should be a fairly simple quiz, randomly selecting from a bank of questions detailing situations which might tempt people to break the rules, providing a choice of 4 responses in which one is correct, and the others would break the rules. If one is answered wrong, the rule screen could be brought up again, with the rule "broken" highlighted. If the player could answer 5 correctly, then they pass, and can play without having to take that quiz again (just like you don't see that rule scroll every time).

Maybe also make a #rule'd player also answer the quiz question for the rule they broke, when they try to close the rule window. If they answer it right, they can continue playing, and if they break it again, they definitely don't have the "I didn't know" excuse. If they get it wrong, maybe an explanation of why it would be wrong, or they get booted for 5 minutes, and if they try to reconnect, they have to answer another question on the same broken rule?

Personally, if done as I said, I cannot see any other problem other than the programming strain it might take to make this happen. I mean, if flustering people who otherwise come in intending to break the rules to the point that they leave, is this not a good thing? If you are not willing to read the rules at least once, you are not willing to follow them, and why should we be willing to give you that chance? For the moderators, this could mean less rulebreakers, and that the ones still here lose the "I didn't know" excuse completely. For the players, mods are not as "horrible" to deal with, because the mods don't have as many rulebreakers to deal with (and I can't remember how many times I've heard the overworked mod complaint since I've played), and we the players don't have to put up with so many spammers and such. For the rulebreakers, they still will come, but either will come in, break the rules, and be gone, or merge into the legitimate rule-abiding community.

I'm not going to say this is all rainbows and sunshine and everything good, but the good seems to outweigh the bad (at least to me).

Edited by Arnieman