Eternal Lands Official Forums
Kalix

Eternal-Lands first look

LOL I would say you did well, Piper. :bow_arrow:

well if u play the game 5 years u know how to play and what to do, beeing a new player that wants to play something new but having the experience of WoW clone games, u understand it might be slightly more difficult to understand EL. Some people might stay , some possibly will not.

Game is Beta so it is constatly changing, i agree interface should change, its kinda old anyway.

Upper screen having icon of player with bars of health/etheral/food/emu , next to it would appear the buffs u can get from spells (shields spells, MI etc) or negatives like poison effect , Its easier for the

eye when u fight (and pking) to look (and concetrate at fighting) at one place than looking up / down. Also most players are used to look at upper left side of the screen for these things (most game on

line have it there + most pc games). Ofc that would have to change chat interface a bit

Remove the bars/ icons of lower screen , u can add the spells there.

Icons like trade/use with/attack are not used i think we all just right-click, so there is not a big need taking so much space.

Well those are some things i would like to see , but i know little about programming etc. I think most ppl here do play other games and may have more and better ideas than me.

Edited by Xanthus

Ok, so what UI changes do you propose then?

An overhaul to the quest log is something I think is long overdue. I was thinking before when I played that having a quest log that logged each quest similar to how the notepad works would be great.

I never really thought that the UI was a problem. It's very basic but easy to get used to. But I have always believed that the quest log system in place needed work.

Ok, so what UI changes do you propose then?

I would suggest more stylish windows with some interesting borders not just simple lines, a better equipment screen (maybe with a human body drawn in the background to make it more obvious), put the buttons in a few pop-up menus, make the minimap open by default with an option to take it away, rearrange the bars (HP/MP-big, EXP-medium, FOOD/EMU-small or not at all or closed by default with an option to open them). A separate window with all the bars in it and with an option to close would be nice too (you could make it so you see your mana above your head as you see your health). And the last thing that pops into my mind right now is that the whole interface is too squareish if you get what I mean so imo making it more roundish would result in it looking better.

mockup.jpg

I have always been wondering what the WALK icon lwft to the SIT/STAND icon do.

It don't make me walk. :confused:

If it not do anything should it be removed.

Besides right clicking, I always used this to get back to the "default" icon on the mouse. I do this so I don't accidentally eat something, lol.

hello everyone, i agree with the other players that want more new players in game and want some improvements in game. I also wanna say that i think its time to change the market and i propose this: increase the drop rate and creation rate of enriched essies, bindings, enrichments, etc... that would help the prices on market to new players to buy better gears and Ent could create an new kind of stones to improve armors and weapons, something like enchanted stones that increase hit, accuracy, perception, etc in gears and he can sell them on EL shop for 50 USD or something like that. Or maybe the stones could take off the negative stats from an armour, for example a radiation stone to take off the negative radiation from ice dragon armour and so...

Maybe all high leveled and rich players wouldnt like this idea but i think the market is way out of control and i think Ent must do something to help new players to acquire nice gears and stuff to play happy.

Regards.

Edited by Strahovsky

hello everyone, i agree with the other players that want more new players in game and want some improvements in game. I also wanna say that i think its time to change the market and i propose this: increase the drop rate and creation rate of enriched essies, bindings, enrichments, etc... that would help the prices on market to new players to buy better gears and Ent could create an new kind of stones to improve armors and weapons, something like enchanted stones that increase hit, accuracy, perception, etc in gears and he can sell them on EL shop for 50 USD or something like that.

Maybe all high leveled and rich players wouldnt like this idea but i think the market is way out of control and i think Ent must do something to help new players to acquire nice gears and stuff to play happy.

Regards.

well i made it to OA 122 since may last year without nice gear :medieval:

and lol, i also never had a CoL on :)

training on fluffys now, been to some invasions .... well i don't PK

btw, did you know you can play EL also in first person look with a red cross in middle of the screen

EL as ego-shooter :confused:

Upper screen having icon of player with bars of health/etheral/food/emu , next to it would appear the buffs u can get from spells (shields spells, MI etc) or negatives like poison effect , Its easier for the

eye when u fight (and pking) to look (and concetrate at fighting) at one place than looking up / down. Also most players are used to look at upper left side of the screen for these things (most game on

line have it there + most pc games). Ofc that would have to change chat interface a bit

Perhaps these bars could be in a relocatable window, like the quickbar is.

Remove the bars/ icons of lower screen , u can add the spells there.

Icons like trade/use with/attack are not used i think we all just right-click, so there is not a big need taking so much space.

These icons ARE used. As a newb, before I got used to the right click, an even now, as a visual indicator as to which right-click option is currently selected.

put the buttons in a few pop-up menus

Eek! Maybe it's just the OCD in me, but I kinda like having all the buttons laid out in a long neat line :confused:

Maybe have this as an option: "buttons in menus/all buttons visible"

It's not that I'm resistant to change (well perhaps I am, but that's a whole 'nother story), but it's the ease of the current interface that kept me playing. I'm not sure how long I would have lasted with all the buttons hiding in popups, bars on top with the chat in a tiny window, just like every other game.

Agree with snoops.

I like the buttons in a row at the bottom and I would NOT like windows or bubbles popping up like the irritating google page ads these days or the microsoft paperclip.

I also agree that the current window and interface look is clean and classic, and for me, that is highly desirable as well.

Quest log enhancements ftw.

Was playing Regnum Online last night and was reminded how much better a quest logging and info system can be.

I can post more details about exactly what they've done later, but it's obvious stuff that would make the questlog nicer... at least, in my mind it is.

edit: ofc not that i'm actually big on questing personally ;p ...but I can see that questlog enhancements would be beneficial... and the better and more convenient the questlog system, the more likely i'd be to do quests.

In regards to other UI changes, i'm fairly indifferent.

I am fine with the current setup, i'd be fine with any setup that doesn't decrease functionality.

If there's wide-spread belief that UI changes would attract more players; then sure.

Edited by Korrode

while perhaps a more visually stunning UI would in the short term grab someones attention, I dont personally believe its the deal breaker here.

imo having sampled a few MMO's the only issue I might point out is the overall difficulty of the game. Im not saying its a bad thing, however I am saying that with this level of difficulty ( let me list a few examples - the mere basic equipment for a new player -- MM cape , harvest cape , some decent armor **yes it does help ** can be overwhelmingly expensive ) the kind of player you are going to retain is one who enjoys the long haul.

with the explosion of east asian MMo's in all shapes and genres that are constantly advertised on the web , what you get is a game that gives you fast results i.e you get to use your big shiny swords right away, you can cast impressive offensive spells right away , you move from creature to creature relatively fast.

the type of player ( hundreds of thousands of them ) who enjoy these fast paced MMO's arent going to want to invest the time that EL takes. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing considering the community ( lol I said it ) that EL has built up ... everyone knows everyone ( even if they never really speak ) , but perhaps what could be done, instead of putting more decoration upon an allready uneaten cake, is to make the new cake taste sweeter.

example : do something about the prices of rare ingredients, I know the hardcore oldies use words like inflation and times change and player controlled but do you think new players give a fuck about that? nope they just see the 30kgc price tag for a rosto and think - holy shit.

perhaps find a way to encourage the early use of offensive spell casting, without some sort of ''penalty'' or '' gc sink'' , casting spells is fun :confused:

increase the break rates of armors but also in turn increase the find rate of rare ings substantially

bring teh horses and other mounts back into the game, theyre fun, but again, try to bring them back without some sort of penalty , horses are fun, mounts are fun, make more mounts, big dogs, over sized cats, hell even a horse drawn carriage ?

[/frank]

Edited by Ateh

well, thats why i love EL :medieval:

i can play for years and still have a skill to level up,

and its really like a small village here, sometimes like a big family.

ok to be honest, i guess EL i more a game for grown ups with patience,

but that makes it so special :)

and beside these developers with huge amount of $$ i think radu and roja

did a great job to bring EL up and keep it running

thanks to both and all others who help with EL :confused:

Ok to start off the picture below does not reference my graphical skillz as i made it in 10 min in photoshop lol.

That being said i've always wanted to work on an optional second user interface for EL, I think that the one right now is fine but there are a lot of people that are more graphically oriented and it might be nice to have a second option so here it is:

GUI.jpg

Basically this one take the whole bottom bar and combines it into a small area in the corner, Mine is obviously not perfect but i would be willing to help with designing it and making it user friendly. I think if the same can be done with the top corner for spells and inv. stuff.

Anyways 2 cents and all that

Did you know that the guy who made the video actually said (6.25), he likes the game ?

I watched parts of the video a few times now and it reminds me of how i began to play.

Little story

I ran off and ended up on some part of IP and totally lost orientation ^^. Then 2 weeks later I started a new character which was a little more successful because I planed not to get lost again. I was wondering were all the nice armor came from and i thought there has to be more.. So I was curious and went out to explore more.

So I never left IP with my first char. and believe me, I was sooo happy when i found out that by clicking on the flag you can go to other places !! wow It was pretty much try and error. Remeber, i started about 4 years ago. I think it was another player that finally helped me to understand the concept of the game. This was my first expereince with an MMO and I haven't played another since.

I think we can learn something from the video and I will post my results in the other thread which maxine created :confused:

One of problem of EL is that it can't be criticized, if it is it's some nub, idiot, etc. IMO this video should open eyes of devs. I's first impression video, not how to play EL video. Who would watch first impression video longer than 15 minutes?

For example, some guy/gal is at home and bored, that he/she decide to look to kill some time by playing mmo. He/she goes on some site about mmo and bounce on EL, download it, create char and start playing. IMO they would have same opinion as the guy who made that video.

How many of you google about some free game before u start to play it?

U should be thankful to him for promoting EL.

One of problem of EL is that it can't be criticized, if it is it's some nub, idiot, etc. IMO this video should open eyes of devs. I's first impression video, not how to play EL video. Who would watch first impression video longer than 15 minutes?

For example, some guy/gal is at home and bored, that he/she decide to look to kill some time by playing mmo. He/she goes on some site about mmo and bounce on EL, download it, create char and start playing. IMO they would have same opinion as the guy who made that video.

Actually it is good advertising considering thousands of people watch his First Look videos every day. I actually had the pleasure of speaking to a few people on IP who had found the game through his video.

Elf Ninjas thing looks pretty cool, not perfect, but the concept of the idea is pretty good, ive seen it in a couple other games. Imo put some numbers in the them like 70/70 for hp and stuff and its pretty good.

So you mean that only your opinion is valid, and those who disagree with you are implicitly wrong?

I admit that I didn't watch the video, I just got back from my vacation. So I can;t talk much about it for now, although when you start a char you are greeted by a message telling you to start the tutorial. If you don't start the tutorial, the game will obviously be a bit awkward.

Ok to start off the picture below does not reference my graphical skillz as i made it in 10 min in photoshop lol.

That being said i've always wanted to work on an optional second user interface for EL, I think that the one right now is fine but there are a lot of people that are more graphically oriented and it might be nice to have a second option so here it is:

GUI.jpg

Basically this one take the whole bottom bar and combines it into a small area in the corner, Mine is obviously not perfect but i would be willing to help with designing it and making it user friendly. I think if the same can be done with the top corner for spells and inv. stuff.

Anyways 2 cents and all that

I think you bring up a great point here. The community has had some hand in designing more elaborate tab maps, why not allow a second, player-made UI available to use?

Personally, some easy changes I would like to see would be to make some other UI components draggable, like snoops suggested. Also, a minimap button (Most, maybe all, other windows have a button on the interface.

So you mean that only your opinion is valid, and those who disagree with you are implicitly wrong?

No, I'm only saying that ppl in charge of the game should use things like that to learn something. If u do something and someone says it doesn't have this and that, than you'll take a look and try to figure what u can do to make it batter, not to criticize almost every person who said something bad about game, IMO.

I admit that I didn't watch the video, I just got back from my vacation. So I can;t talk much about it for now, although when you start a char you are greeted by a message telling you to start the tutorial. If you don't start the tutorial, the game will obviously be a bit awkward.

Video was just to let ppl know what kind a game EL is in short time. Didn't created new char for long time so don't know about msg or not, but if player has freedom to roam around of course they won't bother with tutorial. Limit players actions when he creates char until he solves few of tutorial quests and learn something about game.

I didn't read every response in here, but i did watch the video. Honestly, if you are looking for a good game, you will most likely be looking for one with a tutorial you need to read. If not, something like Snake or a book of mazes may be better suited for you, because you are looking for something very simple with instant gratification. It appeared this guy just likes a lot of bells and whistles.

Also, he just ran around IP, not bothering to read the newbie tip messges at the top of the screen, or any npc's at all. He was saying he couldn't find any quests as he stood by Novac.

He didn't even pay enough attention to distinguish bot/npc/player character name colors..

He looked at the options in the tutorial and none said "QUEST!!!1" so he assumed there weren't any.

He didn't click the ? icon.

Realistically if a newbie is starting EL, chances are they will at least attempt one of these methods, or simply start asking questions, in local or channel.

IMO this was not an accurate portrayal of the common steps a newbie takes upon entering game. Sure they run around and see what they can kill, but they take at least one of these other steps as well.

And if he had asked any questions or payed attention to the local chat, he would have noticed Radu himself sitting next to Tutorial, talking to newbie (Murderface iirc) about the TUTORIAL QUESTS.

Hopefully his full review is a bit more intelligent. And i've seen other free mmorpg with more players and much worse interface btw.

This guy seems like a goon

Ok, I watched the video, and I must say that it's better than you guys made it up to be :pickaxe:

Of course, this is just a quick view into the game, and the author admits that he didn't look hard for the quests. I guess I will e-mail him about some of the inaccurate stuff he said in the video, and hopefully the review will be better.

Ok, I watched the video, and I must say that it's better than you guys made it up to be :pickaxe:

Of course, this is just a quick view into the game, and the author admits that he didn't look hard for the quests. I guess I will e-mail him about some of the inaccurate stuff he said in the video, and hopefully the review will be better.

Favorite post out of the whole thread. He had told me it would be a while before the review because he and his brother had a list of reviews ahead of it to do, and that was three or so days ago.