Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

Linux Client test

Not just Duron* but any CPU that doesn't have SSE support. The 100.14.19.x Nvidia drivers was the last driver series to support non-SSE CPUs, and they are no longer updating those. There's no Nvidia driver available that'll work with the most recent Linux kernel for non-SSE CPUs.

ah... bad for the (probably few) people running Thunderbird's and Spitfire's in AGP8X supporting mobos, with still recent nVidia GPUs. ;S

Angus, did you copy the data files to usr/share/games/EternalLands ? The data dir could be set wrong causing the problem you mentioned.

*I forgot you're on suse. On ubuntu it's ^^^^^^ .

Edited by popeye

The 1.8.0 release Debian/Ubuntu packages are now available using the usual method.

If you installed the RC packages, you should install these instead now.

Edited by bluap

All is working great on opensuse 11.1

Forester, in controls tab is an option called Camera Rotation Deceleration. i set that to .28 and the Camera Rotation Speed

to 96.5 and camera is going smooth with keys. try that then adjust to your taste and see if it helps.

-x~~

Thanks for your advice I had a play around with those settings and found some values that worked well for me to make it behave more like 1.7.

Angus, did you copy the data files to usr/share/games/EternalLands ? The data dir could be set wrong causing the problem you mentioned.

*I forgot you're on suse. On ubuntu it's ^^^^^^ .

To be sure, I re-copied to datafiles, and the non-duron 32b build still "illegal instruction's out on me.

I downloaded the zip file and the linux bin file and uppacked the zip file and move the bin file into that catalog and then set the bin file as executable and then tried to execute it. The program dies without ANY diagnos why - it would be good if the program prints an error message telling the user to look into the error log for indication why it exited so one dont think its a natural that it does so.

Looking into ~/.elc/error_log.txt

Log started at 2009-01-08 09:02:52 localtime (CET)

[09:02:52] Fatal error: servers.lst file missing!

So the question is are the .elc not compatible ? How to I make it compatible with 1.8 ?

As a test I tried to move the servers.lst file from the 1.7 release to ~/.elc/ and then I got an illegal instruction...

Trying the duron version then got me a segmentations fault.

Something ain't right with the new release.

I am using:

AMD Sempron 2600+

NVIDIA UNIX x86 Kernel Module 173.14.05

NVIDIA 5200

Doing an strace shows that the last the program tries to do is:

stat64("/etc/localtime", {st_mode=S_IFREG|0644, st_size=1892, ...}) = 0

write(3, "[09:20:41] Unable to find any fo"..., 44) = 44

open("/disk3/home/vetgirig/.elc/updates/1_8_0/mapinfo.lst", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)

open(".//mapinfo.lst", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)

open("/disk3/home/vetgirig/.elc/updates/1_8_0/mapinfo.lst", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)

time(NULL) = 1231402841

stat64("/etc/localtime", {st_mode=S_IFREG|0644, st_size=1892, ...}) = 0

write(3, "[09:20:41] Error: Can\'t open fil"..., 48) = 48

--- SIGILL (Illegal instruction) @ 0 (0) ---

+++ killed by SIGILL +++

Process 29942 detached

Notice that I dont have any ~/.elc/updates/ catalog at all - should that one be created when the program runs the first time or ?

The error log says:

Log started at 2009-01-08 09:20:38 localtime (CET)

[09:20:38] Using the server profile: main

[09:20:38] Window size adjusted to 1014x713

[09:20:38] Could not read console.xml

[09:20:38] Could not read errors.xml

[09:20:38] Could not read help.xml

[09:20:39] Could not read options.xml

[09:20:39] Could not read spells.xml

[09:20:39] Could not read stats.xml

[09:20:39] Could not read titles.xml

[09:20:41] el_open_custom(): EXTENDED EXCEPTION(1:file_not_found): Can't find file ./textures/font.bmp in el_file at io

/elfile.cpp (line 179)

[09:20:41] Unable to find any font textures

[09:20:41] Error: Can't open file "mapinfo.lst"

PS Removing the old ~/.elc/ catalog and trying again didn't work either. So something is assumed thats not given in the instructions.

Edited by Silvatica

I just noticed this:

Rauch's duron-flavor build is demanding exclusive access to my sound-system just like quesar's RC3 build did.

(Though a local build from CVS on my machine does NOT do that)

[EDIT]

This may be a stupid question, but why are Quesar- and Rauch-builds 4.4 megs, while my homebuiltRC3 is 8.2 megs in size?

[/EDIT]

Edited by AngusMacDude

Kubuntu inttrepid seg faults. 64/32. If I roll my own it works..

Kubuntu amd64 here.

Edit: complains about missing actor defs?

Edit again: i used 170 data. patched with 180.. Cleaned the ini too Oo

Edited by Nintenduh

How I set it up (in case it helps someone):

1- (superuser) Made a backup copy of /usr/share/games/elc-data (in case I had to revert back to 1.7) - Loc of your elc-data may vary.

2- (superuser) Copied the zipped files into the above directory allowing overwrite all. (Zipped files are updated only files, not all the data)

3- Set the binary to executable, and ran it (doesn't matter where the bin is located)

Got illegal instruction on original binary, but I expected that since I got the same with 1.7 binaries. The "Duron" binary (which isn't just for Duron machines, if it works use it!) worked though.

---------------------------------

As for testing, gotten about 7-8 hours of play in with 1.8 now. Harved, map walked, fought a bit, mixed, traded with bots and npcs, tried out new stuff like equipment swap and new inventory buttons, and so far not seeing any problems (other than map issues that I know are awaiting a server update).

Edited by GoodDay2Die

@Silvatica: The update zip contains only the changed files, you need the files from your previous installation (1.7.0). Either copy them with

cp -uR <el-1.7.0-data-directory>/*  <el-1.8.0-data-directory>/

or simply unzip and then copy the files to the old directory with

cp -R <el_update-directory>/* <el-1.7.0-data-directory>/

(Make sure, your ~/.elc/main/el.ini points to the correct data-dir).

For me the client works on OpenSuse 11.0 after installing libpng3 (not claiming I did a lot of testing, basically everything turned off on this machine anyways, but it runs with this old GeForce 4 MX 440 which is good :))

When these static exec are built, has the line "PLATFORM=-march=i686" been left in the make.default file? If this line is removed should the code produced not work on all i386 and up processors or have I completely misunderstood?

When these static exec are built, has the line "PLATFORM=-march=i686" been left in the make.default file? If this line is removed should the code produced not work on all i386 and up processors or have I completely misunderstood?

No, I left it in. the client labeled with "duron" is a i586-build though.

Works great on Ubuntu 8.04. The camera rotation speed I think has greatly improved. I got the update from the update manager ! Thank you very much ;) No problems so far :-=)

Here is another 32-bit static build to try. I have no reason to suspect it has more legs that the others but you never know! ;)

As normal, download, make executable and run it. You need to have the latest data files installed and your #data_dir set correctly.

# in a terminal
wget http://twinmoons.org.uk/el/el.x86.linux.bin.32.static
chmod +x el.x86.linux.bin.32.static
./el.x86.linux.bin.32.static

Running Linux 64 (static) client is it normal not to see crown of life any more?

For I sec I thought I'd lost it. lol

shows in bag not on head.

Am I missing a file???

Running Linux 64 (static) client is it normal not to see crown of life any more?

Am I missing a file???

You need to install the data update too. See Entropy's opening post to this thread.

Am I missing a file???

You need to install the data update too. See Entropy's opening post to this thread.

I missed an init file in the /main dir I was using the old data. fixed now

everything looks and sounds great

just want pain sound back