Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gecko_Master

Time Travel?

Do you think time travel is posible?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think time travel is posible?

• Yes
    • No

I don't think time travel would work. If I was able to travel 5 years into the future, I would end up in the vacuum of space. The planet would not be in the same place relative to the sun. The sun would not be in the same place relative to the rest of the galaxy :icon13:

Edited by Nintenduh

3 years later... damn that's a short time (for someone that traveled at the speed of light in the meantime).

I believe time travel is a figment of our imaginations - impossible to tap into the 5th dimension.

What is more intresting (and forgotten here) is that it is not a question of breaking the speed o light, this would involve huge distance to be traveled and would result in as much time gained (on the way to) as lost (on the way back).

I don't see any possibility for time travel (yet)

I believe time travel is a figment of our imaginations - impossible to tap into the 5th dimension.

Time is generally considered to be the 4th dimension.

Yes, but time travel (past/future) is considered to be the 5th dimension by many.

It has occasionally been stated the fifth dimension is probability, meaning that the fifth dimension is the full amount of possibilities that could happen or, in other words, alternate realities.

Seems I have misplaced my knowledge of dimensions :closedeyes:

It is pretty hard to travel on an idea that we havent even truely defined. I would say it is possible, often we have done the impossible by looking at something in a different way. I think once we understand time, we will be able to cicumvent it (to some degree or another) However I dont think time travel, if at all possible would resemble anything from star trek, or "back to the future"

Aww and I really wanted a hoverboard too O.o

I know this is a necro'd thread but I'd like to say some things. We already know that travelling forward in time is possible in a way by going REALLY REALLY fast so I guess the question is: "Is it possible to travel backwards in time?".

Quite a few ways of doing it have been shown mathematically and most of them involve spinning cylinders in a way to warp space-time and travelling around the cylinder. Another way which works on the same principle is a pair of spinning, entwined super-strings. Of course, super-strings havn't been proven and are only a mathematical possibility at this time.

Either way, I think travelling back in time is probably possible in theroy but requires such enormous amounts of energy that until we as a species can manipulate the cosmos in ways we can only dream of today (think manipulation of galaxys) it will be far beyond our grasp.

Time Travel is a tricky subject. I suggest reading 'The Man Who Folded Himself' for those who haven't, yet. It's a fun novel about a man who's been given a time machine. He's visited by himself from the future, wins a bunch of money at the races -- and decides, when it's time to go back to the past to visit himself, to win even more. Then he's visited from the future at a point where he's being investigated for fraud, and is told to keep it low. It gets much, much weirder from there. :P

Edited by patraig

I don't know what to say on this topic. But say you were to go back and time and kill your grandfather, what would happen to you as a person?

Not necessarily kill your grandfather, any small change in events back then could result in big changes up to now. Your grandfather happens to have a glimpse of you, and keep his head turned away for a second, something which he wouldn't have done if you weren't there in the first place - this would lead to another change upon another.. etc.

If your granddad happens to die, you wouldn't exist and couldn't therefore be there... what could happen after that I cannot fathom :P

I believe if we could travel back in time, we would travel to an alternate reality instead. Whatever happens there, doesn't affects the universe we live in now, but possibly another parallel universe? Or maybe mankind's first step will be to send someone as a ghost or specter to the past, the person cannot interact with the environment or be seen, but can see the past.

i dont think going "back" in time is possible but you can freeze time by going the speed of light. and even then its not really freezeing time but somehow freezeing yourself... err something along those lines

Well, for someone that is moving (to someone else's perspective) - the person moving ages slower than the viewer. As the person moving approaches the speed of light, this phenomenon is more easily observable and the effects are more dominant.

Now as for whether the person moving is "freezing in time" or the person not moving is "speeding through time" has me completely dumbstruck :P

Not necessarily kill your grandfather, any small change in events back then could result in big changes up to now. Your grandfather happens to have a glimpse of you, and keep his head turned away for a second, something which he wouldn't have done if you weren't there in the first place - this would lead to another change upon another.. etc.

If your granddad happens to die, you wouldn't exist and couldn't therefore be there... what could happen after that I cannot fathom :P

I believe if we could travel back in time, we would travel to an alternate reality instead. Whatever happens there, doesn't affects the universe we live in now, but possibly another parallel universe? Or maybe mankind's first step will be to send someone as a ghost or specter to the past, the person cannot interact with the environment or be seen, but can see the past.

Actually, and I can't remember who theorized this, there is thinking that "time" as we know it moves eternally as one; past, present, and future. I was reading a book about the Paranormal which included a thesis explaining why, supposedly, some people can see the future. There is no real "future", everything that has happened and everything that ever will happen is happening now. Supposedly, the human mind distorts it to allow us to comprehend it.

It all depends how you perceive time, temporal mechanics, whatever, I guess.

Another theory on a related subjects of ghosts, they are believed to be (at least, a theory is) the spiritual remains of the long deceased. The theory goes, if you display enough emotion, it can be imprinted on the fabric of reality (like recording onto a VHS), and echoed many decades later.

But, that's all wild-goose as far as I'm concerned. What I can see, feel, touch, smell and what logic/science can prove or disprove is OK for me.

Edited by Aphistolas

the problem with this is that what we percieve to be the passage of time os probably nothing like what is actually going on, in fact the whole idea that there should be time at all is very bizarre if you think about it, why wouldn't things just stay as they are? travelling through time shouldn't be impossible, the laws of physics as they are permit it so doing it is just the next step, humans are, if nothing else, brilliant at doing anything they set their mind to. however you could obviously only go back to when the time machine was built because you would need a continous warping of spacetime to travel through. i think sending individual particles back in time will be possible in the next 5-10 years, but i think for our lifetimes that is where it will stay.

EPIC POST ALERT

who says there is any such thing as time anyway ?

Time is a concept we have dreamed up to help us measure things, the passing of the stars, the cycles of the moon, the seasons etc.

Now we have amazingly clever ways to measure time, quantum clocks and the like.

That doesnt mean time exists , doesnt mean time is anything more than humanitys concept or the need to measure the passing of the sun rising to the sun setting.

Time is something humanity has invented, and to think we can travel in ''time'' is going to set us off on the wrong foot when searching for a way to cross ''time''

Time is the universe expanding, decreasing, exploding, imploding, creating ,growing, living and also dying.

Slightly off topic, but do you think all the UFO's that visit the earth every day actually flew here like you see in Star Wars ? I doubt it :P

Were talking not about time but about dimensions here, rips in the existence of the universe, portals if you will, like the ones in EL. the UFO's dont travel through time, they just 'arrive' because they are not limited by the same concepts that manking is, concepts such as time, or travelling through time that doesnt exist in the first place.

People think the date is 2008 , its not 2008 at all , its just a concept for you, so you can form a nice orderly que when you choose which job you want to be a wage slave in.

2008 LOL nice concept, totally ruins peoples understanding of life.

BTW, dont listen to a word you hear on television, even if it is the Sci Fi / History / Documentary/ Nature Hugging channel.

Its all bullshit ,completely co-ordinated bullshit to make you think your smart for 30 minutes because you can grasp the utter crap thats been diluted to suit the masses. Most of it , if not all of it is complete lies anyway.

Science isnt going to solve the biggest mysterys, its just going to give you concepts, ideas, suggestions, theory after theory. String theory, the theory of relativity, the theory of my jim jams. All theorys, all ideas. All going to proved wrong once someone comes up with a better way to wear your jim jams.

Is time travel possible ? who cares ? what would be the point anyway ? So we could go and invade another country earlier ? Go back and tell the people who built the atomic bomb its a fucking bad idea? Good luck ......

up to the point about UFOs your post is brilliant, but goes downhill pretty quick after that, are you saying you believe aliens visit earth? also the last part of your post seems fairly off-topic and to be instead a general antiauthoritarian ramble.