PK Server Change  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Allow main char copy to PK server with wipe/reset

• I play the PK server and approve of this idea
    • I play the PK server and do NOT want this
    • I do NOT play the PK server, but would use this option
    • I do NOT play the PK server, and would NOT use this
    • None of the above, I'll post below

This idea/poll is posted with Entropy's approval.

As those of us who still play the PK server know, the population has been falling off lately. This is despite all the benefits (no cooldown, no mini-events, legal alts, $1 rostos, etc). The main reasons given by people for not playing on the PK server are:

1 - I don't want to start a character over from zero.

2 - There aren't enough people on the PK server, when everyone else plays then I'll play too.

We can't do much about #2, but here's an idea to try and address #1. What about:

* For a $15 fee Entropy will copy one character per person from the main server to the PK server.

So that this is not totally unfair to the people who have been playing there for the last two years:

* The copy will be the character only, no inventory or storage (full wipe).

* The char must have an att/def <=100, which is the current a/d cap on the PK server.

* The char will be reset (OA=0).

The benefit is clear: more people might be willing to try the server if they don't have to start a new character.

There are several potential problems though which is why the current PK players need to carefully consider this option:

* First, it could be very discouraging to people who have worked hard to level here to suddenly have people pop-in with levels higher than anyone on the server. I will certainly be disappointing if I get bumped out of my various #1 rankings.

* It could damage the current market with the influx of leveled mixers, but high-level stuff is still constrained by the low rates for enriched essence and stones so it may not be to bad.

* A bunch of new PK wanna-bees running around killing alts/harvesters/mixers could be pretty demotivating to those already on the server.

* The great community we have could also be disrupted by a bunch of a-holes who just like to cause trouble.

So there's a real risk that this would really mess up the server and drive away current players. On the other hand, somehow we need to get past #2 above and grow the server or it may just fade away before we get to the 2-year anniversary.

I've made the poll to handle both those who currently play the server and those who don't. But the main focus of this poll is the current players. If people don't want it, we'll drop it.

I like the premise of the idea, but I agree, it could easily backfire. Would it be possible to somehow reduce a/d levels for transfers to 70's or 80's? That way at least the high level pk players still hold persuasion over the transfers, but the transfers aren't building a new character? The basic idea being allow them to transfer their characters but at a more comparable level to the current pk players. Just my 2.5 cents.

Sorry I just happened by this topic and don't even know if this has any validity... but what about people selling their mains copy. Say they don't want to play on PK server, but make a copy and sell for more than 15$... they get a profit. Basically no one will start from scratch all you have to do is buy someone elses copy. I don't exactly know if this would be a problem, but you would most likely be dwarfed pretty quickly. You'll probably eventually have to buy your own copy just to not be a noob anymore. I'm guessing chars would only be allowed 1 copy per player but that is still a lot.

Or train to a/d cap on main server so they don't get killed as a noob, make a copy to PK, then sell their main server char to cover the cost of copying.

I guess it could bring a lot of players to your server, it just not be as nice as the same amount of players coming from a different way. Meh but I really don't know just wanted to say. I don't play on pk server.

Edited by Hermit

I was just thinking of something along those lines the other day. It could very possibly increase the PK server population, however it also has the potential to backfire badly. Either way it would entirely change the way the PK server operates, making it more of a child entity to the main server, and less of a server in its own right. Granted, that might not be a bad thing.

I'm on the fence with this one.

I would not support this idea, althought it will give nice advance for me too.

But it would give the chance to grow up an alt or main char on the

main server relatively quick, then can move to pk server after it has enough skill.

I feel it is a bit unfair against the other players who they already made their levels on the pk server.

Hi

Existing Pk server players

You all need to ask yourself are you happy with the amount a people playing this server?

How many will still be here in 1 month, 2 months or 6 months?

For all the mixers out there this would maybe give you someone to sell your stuff to.

For all the players with PK running through your blood this will give you more people to fight and win/loose against.

For all the afk harvesters Bad luck your world has just changed.

If this worked it would really spice up the server, wake up a few players and get them interacting in the game more instead of being afk all the time.

Main server players

All you 0-80 a/d players who want to lvl fast and be a top players don't forget there is a 100 a/d cap so it can be achieved in a reasonable time.

Well all you 80-100 a/d Players want to be top dog or have fun trying for $15 not transfer but copy you mains char to the Pk server so you can still play both servers. This is a great opportunity to have fun playing 2 different ways and you will never get bored.

Main server guild masters Pick 4 or more of your best men and send them over Let them carry your flag/guild name onto the pk server and make an impression.

Spend an extra $10 and get 2 more chars so you can harvest mix and make gc don't forget mullti play is ok over here trade between your chars and muling is ok to. No cool down is also fun.

Things to Consider for present Pk server players if this went ahead.

At the moment we pretty much call the shots and radu lets us make a lot of decisions as to what happens with the server i.e. the stuff available to buy from the shop and what some of the npc's sell. This could change with more players being involved in the decision.

So maybe we need to say things must stay as they are for now and any new proposals to change the server can not be made for the first 6 months or something like that. At least by then new players would have been playing for a few months and earned the opportunity to vote on such options. I would imagine if I was a new player to the server and had copied a char over from the main then I would want access to all the best weapons and armour. ( you do still have the instances which could help new players from main server)

Things to consider from mains copied players

Turning up on the server with no inventory/storage. How will you start over here? (is it possible for all players have a starter storage basic armor some he's e.t.c you know what i am talking about) or in the transfer deal they also get 1 new char so they can get started.

Makin gc is easy especial if you have some alts.

I Think everyone will have different views about this idea

You have the ones that play on a day to day basis, some maybe once a week, some maybe as a get together once in a while, others just sit here afk, and you have the players that don't really play anymore but will want to have their say just encase they ever decided to come back.

I say anything that spices this server up and turns it into the server I wanted to play at the beginning cant be a bad idea.

since I came back I have started lvling again but most of the time Handyman sits in Bev on c2 afk whilst I play another game and I just check him and heal him every 20-30 mins sometimes longer and see what drop I got from the d/c.

Bkc mentioned about pk server players that had worked hard lvl and then someone from mains coming and threatening their No1 slot I say competition is what makes the game fun. Also i think you can lvl faster on pk server than you can on the main server so i dont see how it would work building a char on main just to take over to the pk server.

Handy

I vote no,cause they lvled in peace on main server on non pk maps,and on pk server is harder to lvl char,make lvls,get flowrs (for example flowers in votd etc)

Voted yes. I think it's a great idea, I myself might consider copying my main server char over here. Empty storage? So what? It's easy enough to make gcs and get the items you need already, besides, the more manuers on the server the better.

I think this would give more good things than bad. I agree, there will definitely be a-holes who just want to have fun, in their own sick way. But as the server progresses, the guilds would become tighter. I always dreamed about teams walking around the server to protect each other, the same goes for the "bandits", if we can call them that.

I personally don't play the server at the moment due to some problems with my computer.

If anyone is interested in helping me a little:

Installed Ubuntu 9.10 on my HP Compaq Mini110, the game worked well for some time, but crashed when I entered a bigger map. I think I need some graphics acceleration, but have no idea how to do it. Thanks in advance.

( i voted #1)

But, i have maybe a slight modification on what BKC said about making anyone over 100 a/d, set automatically to 100 a/d. I think that it should be 100 a/d, but then, a certain percent more taken off, depending on how high the lv was over 100 taken off as well. So say someone was 120's on main, a certain percent would be taken off of 100 as well, to maybe 80's or so a/d? trust me, i am at 100 a/d on this server, and it is SOOOOO boring once i got there, fighters will want something to work at.

I think the same should go with all of the other skills as well, depending on the level, a certain percent can be taken off, to lower it, giving them something to work for. Otherwise, people are just going to come over here and kill everyone senslessly for no reason, but to do it :lurker:

Just what i think.

(BTW, i didnt rea everything handy said, way to long :X )

I dont think this is a perfect idea.

However, as long as no one has a better idea I say we should give it a try.

Perhaps the option to copy chars could be limited, like for example till end of the year or 6 month.

Btw I think it would help a lot if we could have a officially approved PK-Server-Info-Bot on IP on main. (We could pay for it the way we pay for the GIWS. Just another idea...

I dont think this is a perfect idea.

However, as long as no one has a better idea I say we should give it a try.

Perhaps the option to copy chars could be limited, like for example till end of the year or 6 month.

Btw I think it would help a lot if we could have a officially approved PK-Server-Info-Bot on IP on main. (We could pay for it the way we pay for the GIWS. Just another idea...

One thing people need to consider, is a change like this, once implemented/done will permantly affect the PK server, even if Entropy stops doing it. Unlike other changes that are easier to undo, once a character gets copied, he will not remove it if it hurts the server!

I'd like to speak to a couple of the comments above:

But it would give the chance to grow up an alt or main char on the main server relatively quick
I vote no,cause they lvled in peace on main server on non pk maps,and on pk server is harder to lvl char...
While it was a little nasty the first month or two (people killing everyone in sight), in general I think the differences in the PK server make it easier to level here. No cooldown, no mini-events, and legal alts all make the PK server a more level-friendly environment.

I think It should be available for +100 a/d people with the reducing their a/d to 100.
I think that it should be 100 a/d, but then, a certain percent more taken off
Entropy would need to directly answer this, but my impression is that it would be to much work to try and modify stats. Although punishments do sometimes include stat reductions, so the technology may exist. It would be Entropy's call.

Update: I asked Radu in-game about stats reductions. His reply: "not likely". I interpret that as: possible, but probably not worth the work involved. So that probably rules-out any >100 a/d people moving over.

Just one question: what about books readed?
An update to the test-server always preserves read books, so I would expect a copy to PK would also (even with a storage/inventory wipe or even a stats reduction).

One thing people need to consider, is a change like this, once implemented/done will permantly affect the PK server...
And this is why I have yet to vote in my own poll about my own idea. This will be such a fundamental and permanent change to everything, I'm still not sure.

I agree with the comment above in that I wish there was another way to increase the population. But after almost two years (the anniversary is in December) of trying, not much progress has been made. So perhaps it is time for a fundamental change.

I figure we'll let this run for at least a week to give ample time for people to see it, think about it, and post/vote.

And as a FYI information point: when asked about the idea, Entropy said if we wanted it (the PK server). That's why the poll is in the PK forum, so we can decide. I added the non-PK choices because others do read this section and they needed a way to share their opinions too.

Edited by bkc56

It's a nice idea, and may make some more players on the PK Server.

(I would consider doing it, but over 100 A/D :lurker:)

how is this fair to the ppl who trained from 0 to 100 a/d?

they pay $15 and transfer the exp/char to main server? if so than i would change my vote to yes

$15 for 100 a/d char on pk server .....

btw why just a/d? #1 main manuer/crafter/ranger should be able transfer to....so they dont have to lvl from 0

maybe some sto?

extra enriched stuff/armor/wep from main would be nice to?

they pay $15 and transfer the exp/char to main server? if so than i would change my vote to yes

$15 for 100 a/d char on pk server .....

btw why just a/d? #1 main manuer/crafter/ranger should be able transfer to....so they dont have to lvl from 0

maybe some sto?

extra enriched stuff/armor/wep from main would be nice to?

#1. no one lv'ed from 0-100, iirc, you start out at 7/7.

#2. what would the point be at paying $15 to transfer a pk server character to main? Main characters are much better.

And a problem i found is:

You could make dozens of the same character this way, transfer to pk/namechange, transfer again, namechange, transfer again, namechange, ect. ect. ect. So can it be one time per character, and not person (player)?

Edited by ChrisC

It isn't fair, which is one of my big concerns as listed in the base-note. That's why we're talking about it. Would the influx of already leveled chars help or hurt an already hurting PK server.

Not part of the proposal, so no reason to bring it up.

I don't understand the question. No one said anything about just a/d. The only limit was on trasfering chars who had <=100 a/d because the PK server has a 100 a/d cap. A char copy would be be all skills just like when char are copied to the test server.

maybe some sto?

extra enriched stuff/armor/wep from main would be nice to

Again, not part of the proposal. Mostly because it would increase the unfairness to existing PK server chars.

I currently don't play on the pk server but would be interested in this. Starting at OA 0 and no storage even with good stats would take some time to build back up, but pry faster then some lvled here in the first place but that's why it would be ultimately up to those currently on the server.

I would though consider what someone posted above make it a limited time deal, you can transfer for the next 3-6 months or so and only characters currently around at time of this deal starting and then it closes for good. That way it is only current main server players not people who build a character just for this transfer. But advertise it in-game some so people have a chance to consider it.

I'll watch this to see what you all decide might be fun to join you.

Some more questions.

(some part of Chris' post)

What if I want to transfer, but there's already a player with my name on the server, and it isn't me? What are my options?

a) I get name changed free of charge while transferring?

B) I pay for a name change and the transferred char is name changed before it's copied?

c) I have to name change my main server character to be able to transfer at all?

If it's c), then there might be quite a few name changes/transfers from the same player. Of course, it might be noticed by radu easily, but still there's a chance.

As for limited time, maybe there could be these transfers every now and then, without any pattern, so that people couldn't prepare a char on main to transfer it over and over again.

These are all just details, but they matter anyway

Edited by DHT