Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ateh

Add Life Span to Stones /Enriched Ess

Suggestion:

Add a life span to serp/binding/enrichment stones and all the enriched essences. Perhaps 3 months.

Reason Why :

To circulate them faster between players, instead of having them rot away inside peoples storage ( and yes they do in fact do that ) , or stand on a bot at too high prices

Benefits : Everyone gets a chance to actually start finding these things again. If they have a life span of say 3 months, people are forced to use them or sell them at a reasonable price. This way they circulate more, and ultimately drop in price because they would be more readily available again.

Feel free to poke holes

yeh similar thread Dog , didnt come up when I typed in Finite Life Span Enriched Essences , which is the crux of the suggestion

but thanks for the link was an interesting read, definately think theres valid points to be made about the similar suggestions

Would need individual items, which won't happen.

Or multiple states of that item. It could change from one state to another at the end of the month. That would require 3 states for an item to last between 2 and 3 months.

Just saying how it can be done without individual items with time stamps.

I am not for or against this.

Or multiple states of that item. It could change from one state to another at the end of the month. That would require 3 states for an item to last between 2 and 3 months.

If I understand what you propose correctly, that would still need tracking of individual items. Example: month 1, you make 1 ELE (state 3); next month you make 3 (all go to state 2, or all state 3??), 3rd month you make 2 (state 3, 2, 1???), next month you lose how many? with no individual items you would lose either 1 (the oldest) or all... and the following month you should lose another 3, but not the last two you made.

Aside from that, I'm saving some items already for planned use in (at least) 6 months, to have a chance of getting enough of them (market sounds nice, but have you seen what's happening lately to certain items?). I would NOT be happy to be forced to sell those with a good chance that when I can/want to use them, I cannot get them.

If I understand what you propose correctly, that would still need tracking of individual items. Example: month 1, you make 1 ELE (state 3); next month you make 3 (all go to state 2, or all state 3??), 3rd month you make 2 (state 3, 2, 1???), next month you lose how many? with no individual items you would lose either 1 (the oldest) or all... and the following month you should lose another 3, but not the last two you made.

Aside from that, I'm saving some items already for planned use in (at least) 6 months, to have a chance of getting enough of them (market sounds nice, but have you seen what's happening lately to certain items?). I would NOT be happy to be forced to sell those with a good chance that when I can/want to use them, I cannot get them.

Implementation date:

all EFE become "EFE age 1"

End of first month:

All EFE have 1 added to the age in their name.

End of second month:

The ones from original implementation of this idea poof at this time.

End of third month:

Whenever an EFE becomes "EFE age 3", it would poof, if you go for the 2-3 month life span.

"EFE age 1" would be a different item ID than "EFE age 2". That would mean 1 item ID per age that an item is allowed to have. That means you could have 2 "EFE age 1" and 4 "EFE age 2". Since "EFE age 3" are deleted, there would be no item ID for them.

Once more, I am not for or against the idea of poofing rare ingreds with age. I am only stating some logic that could be applied if such things were desired.

Multiple copies of an item could be just as easily be applies to item quality and allow "fine s2e", "excellent s2e", "pathetic s2e"...besides the usual "used s2e" and "s2e".

in response to '' i need to hoard because im not sure if in 6 months i will be able to buy what I want''

thats the kind of problem a temporary life span on objects would sort out !

if you think past your own storage here , there would still be just as many of these things in game they would just circulate more often between players and not be sat for an example ( 90 something EFE in 1 persons storage makes it look like there are 90 something EFE floating around the game when in fact they are not )

people would be more inclined to sell one of these things if they got one ( if they didnt need it right away ) and therefore the prices would drop to because there would be more in circulation and less of this speculative bs about '' omg what if I cant find one well fk it im hoarding all mine then ''

look outside of your own storage and from a gamers perspective the finite life span would be a good thing, im not sure how good it would be for the EL shop and RL $ purchases but then for the sake of a better flow of items in a game which in turn makes the game more attractive I dont think its abad thing

Entropy may still keep them at a certain level of rarity to maintain sales from his shop. It is really hard to tell how things will sway.

Wouldn't people just flood their storages (or the market) with finished goods which incorporate the expiring items? You have the same problem, but the rare items are moved to a non-volatile state. This could make the rare items even harder to find on the open market.

If they want to turn those hoarded EFEs into armours, np. Let them have the spares.

What troubles me is the statistics that some changes are based on. I don't know everything, and I'd like someone to correct me if there's epic fail, but weren't the EFE rate changed based on having huge loads of them in game? There has to be big amounts of them in unused accounts because atm if you get EFE making FE it's time to go play RL lottery too. Having low rate shows also in newcomers pockets, I started when they were 3k ea. Got several of them, sold and bought books. Happy newb. Made iron parts from own EFEs, happy newb. These days... it's silly. If you get one you can sell them for 10k, that's how rare EFEs are. If you find one, you might want to hold on to it too, so more hoarding?

Now wouldn't something like this implemented correct this statistical issue? If it's because of that. If. And if the game is better with the low rate of stuff, so be it. We can live with that. Gold Coin will be less worth, then need to just make more :S

I think the ''hope'' behind the idea of expiring rare's is that the circulation would increase.

By circulation , and this is speculation, got to love the 'ations - I mean even if the rares were turned into items more quickly, by either being manu'd or sold on to others in need , this would take them out of thier vegative state thus taking them out of the games overall count -

and heres the hope part = more would enter the game through mixing ( in the case of essences ) and harvesting ( in the case of stones ), because the circulation is happening more quickly

IF there was an expiration, the people allready holding strange amounts of these items would need to either turn them into a finished product ( and thus technically more enter game to even the numbers ) or sell them , and then they are on the open market again instead of sitting in storage.

Once the items have left thier vegative state, the buzz word here, circulation !!!, begins.

Things that affect EFE creation chances:

usage

people that hoard them to make sure they have them when they need them

people that hoard them to control EFE prices (yes, it is possible that someone could hoard to raise prices)

EFE sales from the EL Shop (aka Radu's wallet)

break rates of items containing EFE

I hope that little list helps.

It is really unclear as to what affect item expiration would have on things. I would imagine that there is less than one in one million chance that people would accept this notion if things can age when they are not logged in.

Perhaps another option of randomly selecting a date and time of the day upon which you randomly select an online player and then randomly select an EFE (of any state) from their storage to age would be a more agreeable solution. This would make for very minimal aging of EFE which would be more acceptable and fair for people who are not online. I don't think the server can alter the state of things owned by offline players anyways.

The key to making any suggestion more acceptable is to keep a change very very small. People don't like change. Change can make a person a bit nervous/scared.

Not all players play every day. Would you want to take an EL vacation, and come back to see that half of your valuables have disintegrated? What if you bought those enriched essences from the shop? I don't think this is a fair solution.

As one option, an NPC could trade some of the common shop-sold rare items (binding stones, EFE's, etc.) in exchange for $-tokens (only sold from the EL shop). This way a player can buy the tokens directly (or from another player who has), and buy the rare item directly. This may serve a dual purpose of increasing shop sales, and relieving market scarcity.

As one option, an NPC could trade some of the common shop-sold rare items (binding stones, EFE's, etc.) in exchange for $-tokens (only sold from the EL shop). This way a player can buy the tokens directly (or from another player who has), and buy the rare item directly. This may serve a dual purpose of increasing shop sales, and relieving market scarcity.
I can't see how it solves anything.

About the topic, i guess there is some kind of technical limitation in adding per item(s) attributes.

Not all players play every day. Would you want to take an EL vacation, and come back to see that half of your valuables have disintegrated? What if you bought those enriched essences from the shop? I don't think this is a fair solution.

So, in otherwords, put the item in the bank of Radu and have a chance to withdraw it or a different item later on as you need them?

Bank.....hmmm.....there is a bank in PL and a bank in WSC. If this idea of "frequently bought item" banking was done, there could be an npc in those banks to let you deposit or withdraw the items.

Of course, it might bring about a change in prices, but after that, it might be rather stable. Business aspects of this might need to be analysed because it may bring into existence an unofficial EL Stock Exchange.

Lorck, if the item is not in the game, it won't be in the game. Radu only wants a certain amount of each item in the game. If the item is cashed in for a shop token, it will allow for more items to be brought into the game.

I must say, Asgnny, I kind of like this idea.

We already have banks. They're called storage.

Yeah, but Radu holds anything in a storage against the maximum total allowed and therefore chooses to decrease the chance of getting the rare items if there are too many in storages.

I don't see why he would treat banks any differently.

Because it is a token that could be used for anything vs an actual item. He would not know what the token would be cashed in for. It could even be cashed in for a height change instead of an actual item. (technically several tokens, but you get the point)

So a token is a gift certificate to the EL shop? That would make a nice gift.

Yep. That is the idea. A $1 token. You could cash in the item for however many tokens.

I figure the natural place to do that in game would be at a bank.

To keep things simple, the bulk discount (6 binding stones for $10 for example) should not be applied to the dollar token idea.

I didnt read all posts, but from I did read I figured if items were to expire maybe the 'timer' could start/stop when you log on/off, just like cooldown (I think) or if you logged off while poisoned, it stops, when you come back it continues.

Just a little help.