Eternal Lands Official Forums
Aphistolas

Enhanced Iron Armour

Greets all.

I'd like to see a higher quality of iron armour in game. Currently, going from iron--> steel is a rather large gap, I'd like to introduce another stepping stone.

Reasoning

There is a large leap in gold between iron and steel armour. So much so that iron armour has become relatively uncommon in a sea of steel and titanium.

How

Iron is made through smelting, which is throwing stuff into a furnace, more or less. Carbon in iron ore makes it brittle. Oxygen is used to make the brittle Iron stronger, and using a combination of high heat and oxygen you can forge steel. Why not add a new bar between iron and steel? Something with a higher purity, making it considerably stronger.

Changes

Hopefully, these new bars would only require larger amounts of iron, carbon and fire essences. Though it's not unimaginable some tools would be needed. Hand-held blast furnace, made by engineers, for instance :D . Whatever tools used, they would degrade quickly, as (if I recall correctly, which I probably don't) blast furnaces can reach temperatures as high as 2000 degrees Celsius (or 2273 Kelvin :D ) and hundreds of atmospheres worth of pressure.

A new, upgraded type of iron armour produced. It would definitely need to be about 10-20k more expensive (assuming you can buy a set for what... 20k, now?). It would incur lesser defence penalties, though not as good as the steel, but would provide better armour or protection (9-14 armour?).

Open to suggestions.

Excellent idea.

EDIT:

To elaborate further;

I'd suggest giving it the same acc/def/crit negs as Steel Plate pieces with an armor bonus a little under Ti and Steel Plate pieces,

for eg.

Enhanced Iron Plate Mail:

10-12 armor

-2 acc

-1 def

-2 heat

-1 cold (inbetween the steel and iron negs)

-2 crit hit

Enhanced Iron Cuisses:

4-6 armor

no acc/def negs

-1 heat/cold (same as both steel and iron)

Enhanced Iron Greaves:

3-4 armor

no acc/def negs

-1 heat/cold (same as both steel and iron)

Should be a popular choice with many people for training Armed Orcs, Fluffy, Feros and for low toughness Ogre trainers and high toughness Cyclops trainers.

Edited by Korrode

Make it easier:

Take iron armor and enhance it.

Example:

Enhanced Iron Plate Mail.

Ingreds:

iron plate mail

2 steel bar

1 tin bar

2 leather

4 fabric

10 thread

1 matter conglomerate

40 fire essies

20 water essies

Manu level needed: 42

Knowledge needed: enhancing plates (of any kind)

Manu XP given: 200

Food substracted: 60

Tools needed: Hammer, needle

Good chance to fail and lose the ingreds EXCEPT THE IRON PLATE.

Low chance to lose ingreds and ruin the iron plate (degrades to a degraded iron plate then)

Very very low chance to lose ingreds and iron plate (yeah, next time ask a better manuer :P )

Enhanced iron plate degrades to iron plate, very rare to a degraded iron plate (bad luck then)

Stats of enhanced iron plate: Between iron plate and steel plate, maybe some goodies, that some stats are like steel plate, some bad things, like it is much heavier now or such.

Should be easier to implement, since it follows the way we make stuff in game.

Money and item sink, manuers get paid to enhance iron stuff and lose items to do so. And when they degrade an iron plate, the gold goes to an NPC to fix or break it.

:)

Piper

Money and item sink, manuers get paid to enhance iron stuff ...
Hey, if you'll trade me your iron armor for a moment I'll bless, errr, I mean enhance it for you... :P

Money and item sink, manuers get paid to enhance iron stuff ...
Hey, if you'll trade me your iron armor for a moment I'll bless, errr, I mean enhance it for you... :P

\o/

And, of course, you will give your iron armor for free to a 40/40 health noob with a fur cloak, you have never seen, would you?

Sure, you would :)

Err.. seriously, would you???

Piper

even easyer. Make only armor iron and make only wep serp swords and then watch wat happens :P

If you should be able to enchant iron you should be able to enchant steel tit dragon

people won't use it imo, there is already too much armor ingame.

agreed (goes n pets his BD )

Wow, what a great idea, how come I didn't think of it earlier? Oh, wait..

To me, or him (time4u2die)? If to me, what do you mean?

@Other armours: Well, in theory, there shouldn't be any iron plate at all in game, but it's a good starting armour for newbs, so its still occasionally made. Sure, people would get bored of it, but if certain trainers do adopt it?

I just realised, it doesn't even need to be named enhanced iron. Something in between iron in steel would still be excellent.

If you should be able to enchant iron you should be able to enchant steel tit dragon

sigh.. the whole reason for this was to make iron armor more used, dragon/steel/tit are very commonly used, as iron is not.

sigh.. the whole reason for this was to make iron armor more used, dragon/steel/tit are very commonly used, as iron is not.

Well maybe instead of enchanting armor then just a new type of armor between steel and iron

Well maybe instead of enchanting armor then just a new type of armor between steel and iron

New type?

How about a new iron armor style? Dwarven iron plate maybe? Something that is better designed/built, or maybe has steel laced through it? Does everything have to be new, can't there be different versions of the same item? :) (Other than color variation). I'd be more than willing to come up with a sketch of a new armor concept to support my idea. ;)

But I agree very much, there is too much of a gap between iron and steel. :D

implement a new metal with strenght between iron and steel is also an option.

i think aluminium would be a good metal for, or an alloy of magnesium and aluminium, if entropy wants this of course cause it are modern elements. If it would come in the it can then be use also for enginering devices (flying machines, better bows, etc)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnalium=> this is an allow who's strong en easy to melt so if the vars are somewhat expensive the armor making wont require EFE.

i hope this a good suggestion.

Enhanced Iron Plate Mail (1)

Items needed:

8 Titanium Bars

2 Serpent Stones

1 Iron Plate Mail

Knowledge needed:

Enhanced armor

Required Nexuses:

Artificial: 4

Magic: 3

Recommended Skills:

Crafting: 53

Experience given:

Crafting exp: 1000

Food subtracted: 35

Enhanced Iron Cuisses (1)

Items needed:

4 Titanium Bars

1 Serpent Stone

1 Iron Cuisses

Knowledge needed:

Enhanced armor

Required Nexuses:

Recommended Skills:

Crafting: 45

Experience given:

Crafting exp: 600

Enhanced Iron Greave (1)

Items needed:

4 Titanium Bars

1 Serpent Stone

1 Iron Greave

Knowledge needed:

Enhanced armor

Required Nexuses:

Recommended Skills:

Crafting: 41

Experience given:

Crafting exp: 500

w00t!

Anyone made em yet? stats?

Knowledge needed:

Enhanced armor

Anyone read the book? (is it in-game? lol)

Radu had this idea before the topic, lol

lolz ;p

There are 3 enhanched armors (there will be more in the subsequent updates).

Assuming the future enhanced armors will be Steel and Ti plate stuff, i just hope the cost to upgrade them to Enhanced is the same or not much more than the cost to do the Iron pieces.

IMO, the game really doesn't need more ultra expensive armor.

Enhanced Iron Plate Mail:

8-10 armor

-2 cold and heat protection

+1 radiation protection

-1 defense, accuracy and crit-hit

Enhanced Iron Cuisses:

5 armor

-1 heat and cold protection

+1 radiation protection

Enhanced Iron Greave:

4 armor

-1 cold and heat protection

+2 radiation protection

Very nice :lipssealed:

pr0 stuff Ent.

Edited by Korrode

Hmmmm....crafting skill instead of manu skill. That is a disappointment to me. Now, I will have to work on my crafting skill some more. I thought they would follow the idea of augmented leather pants and be manu.

It seems worth more to enhance the greaves and cuisses than the platemail. The chestplate does have less penalties though. The armor difference for the chestplate is not significant.

why crafting and not manu?
That is strange. Perhaps because it's "enhancing" (magical) rather than "augmenting" (physical)?

I wonder if people will really want to use up the serp-stones given the enhancements and the degrade rate. Of course it's not worth the cost of the books, but books have been a gc-sink for some time now anyway.