Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
scarr

isla prima suggestion(s)

why not put a flowershop on IP, so newbs can sell flowers and make abit money, so they stay longer on Ip too learn

and put a npc who buys rabbit fur, and sell some silly newb weapon

put flowershop here -> http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/40/flowershoppls7kd.jpg

any1 agrees? :>

If the flower shop gets there then move the flowers or it be too easy :D

To ad a suggestion is, dont let noobs leave IP until att/def 10 or something :P be cool

Edited by sMooMs

meh i love noobs, we need to give them the helping hand :P

but yeh smooms is right, they shouldnt be able to leave at 10-15 in a skill

it should then say:

"you cannot leave this island untill you have one skill over 15, after that you're free to go anywhere"

otherwise players might think this game is entirely based on levels to get somewhere

otherwise players might think this game is entirely based on levels to get somewhere

Wich is cool! So you are excited in getting your next lvl!! A suprise what's comming next!

EL is not game only about money and rapid leveling. Leave them choice to explore.

NPC Tutorial: "There are flowers, near is shop. Dont come back until you earn your first 1kgc" :medieval:

Because we want to newbs to leave IP also. If a flowershop was there half the players would be on IP!

Newbies do leave IP. Often the game as well.

At least this way you can trap them

Because we want to newbs to leave IP also. If a flowershop was there half the players would be on IP!

Newbies do leave IP. Often the game as well.

At least this way you can trap them

Before level 10 in a/d you cannot leave Isla Prima or exit the game.

Would be even more efficient.

It is good to have flower shops in other locations. Exploration is a big part of an online world and is a key ingredient in gameplay. The beginner quest takes a new player to all corners of WS and familiarizes them on the game.

On additions to IP, however, I always felt the rat cave should have at least sulphur so new players can get their start on alchemy outside of the bone powder.

With regard to making gold, they can harvest veggies in the little garden and sell it in the shop. Heck, there's the fruit in the shop you can harvest for .6gc/per if .5 isn't enough. There is no need to sell flowers otherwise. They can also sell bone and meat there too. Seldom do I walk through IP without picking up at least a dozen bags of bone, meat, hide, or any combination in between. Talk about a harvester's bounty!

Selling rabbit fur? Gee, I can think of at least a dozen people who'd buy it in an instant. This would allow the new player to make new friends and business allies. The first few people I got to know in IP turned out as excellent friends. They extended their friendship and introduced me to tons of other really nice people.

Outside of adding sulphur to the rat cave, I wouldn't see a reason to make any other changes in IP. It is a well conceived and implemented starter location.

On additions to IP, however, I always felt the rat cave should have at least sulphur so new players can get their start on alchemy outside of the bone powder.

Then new player need place for buy leather glove too in isla prima for mine sulfur?

Then new player need place for buy leather glove too in isla prima for mine sulfur?

maybe the ip tavern can be specialy reprogramed to sell leather gloves for 20gc. that way newbies get what they want and people wont shop at the tavern often.

But till theres the problem of people staying on IP for FEs instead of going to DP

My point is, it's really good to have the new players departing IP. Even if they'd have to leave IP for gloves, Gerald is only a few steps away from WS docks.

I fondly remember the fun and accomplishment of evading bob in portland as a newb and sneaking up to dp and other haunts to build up skills.

I think these things are a necessary part of the learning curve and just leaving everything easy to access on IP would be a mistake. With a sulphur source on IP newbs would miss out on traveling through the various maps, getting mugged by bob, squashed by gargs in WS at night... and learning where the various interesting places are.

EDIT

I haven't looked for one on IP but a cotton patch might be an idea.

Edited by Ikaris

I have to agree. A flower shop on the starting island is a good idea, after all the only way a newbie is going to make enough cash to get started is by farming flowers. Sure they could potentially sell some of the things they collect off of newbie creatures, such as the furs, but who is going to explain to them about bots? Or who wants to (as a newbie) spend an insane amount of time on the market channel (let alone knowing such a channel exists and how to get there) trying to sell 50 Beaver Fur? Especially when considering most people who want to buy the items are looking for them in large amounts.

Thus, placing a flower shop on IP makes sense. After all the first thing I did (and I'm still a newbie myself - I just started a few days ago), after I figured out that it was completely unprofitable to kill mobs for cash was farm flowers. I started farming them outside the gates of White Stone because I felt safe there... until on one trip I got killed by a Gargoyle while I was afk walking from IP to White Stone. Then I learned about the Valley of the Dwarves, and the fact that there was a flower shop closer and a storage NPC right next to it... and that's where I moved too.

So yes, I believe a flower shop on Isla Prima is a good idea. It quickly becomes unrealistic to raise your Harvesting skill on the flowers found there (if you don't count the vegetables and fruit - which can be sold to the tavern already), and if you want to use other skills you will be forced to leave the island. So saying that it will just keep people there is a rather moot point - they will be forced to leave if they want to learn other skills. They will be forced to leave if they want to visit storage.

But hey, I'm also in favor of placing a Blacksmith that sells Leather Armor, Wooden Shields, and Iron Weapons and Quarter Staves on the island. As well as a magic shop which provides the Increase, Health and Global sigils. Why? Because it makes the transition into the game much easier.

That's my opinion, anyway.

--------

While I'm talking about Isla Prima, the Tutorial NPC really needs to be revamped, IMO. He isn't very helpful or informative and his dialog makes me think whoever wrote it was probably having a seriously bad day. If the NPC was a player, I would expect him to help someone like this:

Tutorial NPC: "Hey n00b do u need help"

Innocent Newbie: "Yeah, I just downloaded this game. Do you have any advice on what I should do?"

[PM to <Friend of Tutorial NPC>: Hahaha I found a n00b dude!]

Tutorial NPC: "let me help u"

Innocent Newbie: "Wow thanks!"

Tutorial NPC: "k follow me"

The newbie and the Tutorial NPC walk off a bit into the nearby woods.

Tutorial NPC: "Now u need 2 gain xp k?"

Innocent Newbie: "Okay. What should I kill? Should I kill the rabbits?"

Tutorial NPC: "Nah they sux 4 xp kill the ws i will heal u"

Innocent Newbie: "Wow thanks!"

The Innocent Newbie enters into combat with the Wood Sprite and begins to die. The Tutorial NPC does not heal him.

Innocent Newbie: "Help! Please!"

Tutorial NPC: "Haha die u n00b!!!111!"

Yeah, I have a low opinion of the Tutorial NPC. His dialog needs to be rewritten to better explain the interface and specifically tell the newbie how to chat on the newbie channel (to ask for help) and to access the encyclopedia. Also, less insults is always a good thing as it does not make a good first impression. :) But hey, this is just my opinion.

Talking about the Tutorial NPC how about he gives 10 sulpher to people under level 5 alch?

also i think the npc should tell the newbies to buy books. ie point him in the direction to Naralik with warning. could be a small quest and newbies will learn about books

If the help in the game told newbies to gather and sell raw meat then they would get money much faster and could level att/def while getting meat to sell and since they would have to go to storage to get enough meat at one time (the help could suggest getting 500 meat) saved up for a buyer it would make money easier to come by. You can run around behind people in VotD and in Nordcarn picking up all sorts of higher level furs for stuff you cannot kill. So meat and fur gathering along with selling bones which get left behind too added to selling fruit or veggies means lots of potential income for newbies. When they do actually get to the point where they can go to other maps and flower shops for selling and start making FEs for selling they are already well on their way.

People would probably trade newbies leather gloves for some raw meat. Just teach the newbies how to use what his already available to them and you don't need to add anything to IP. How about an NPC that teaches them how to use bots so they can sell their furs and without risking getting scammed in the market channel. :)

TirunCollimdus

I disagree. The average newbie isn't going to stick around long enough to figure all of that out, and what is more - who wants to be a scavenger unless they absolutely have to be? Scavenging raw meat, fur and bones is something that I did - and I didn't make nearly enough cash. I can make much more, in less time, simply harvesting flowers. In addition to that I get experience which gives me pick points, on which to spend on attributes, which in turn further allow me to carry more flowers to make even more money.

Then, after several hours of harvesting, I have roughly enough to buy a suit of leather armor and some cash left over. It would take days to earn enough gold by selling meat, fur and bones. Especially considering you have to factor in the competition - everyone is out there killing rabbits, rats and beavers.

I've been playing for roughly a week and my Att/def is just 15, but my harvesting is 31 and my alchemy is 21. I am still harvesting flowers, and now red mushrooms, silver, and other materials to fund my alchemy, magic, books and other expenses. I don't have enough time during a play session too actually kill mobs because I'm too busy trying to gain enough gold so that I can stop harvesting all together.

I've calculated that it will take me roughly 334 hours (or roughly 14 days) of straight non-stop harvesting to allow me to get 1 million gold. I doubt I'll be able to stand harvesting for that length of time (especially because I spend the money as I make it - on books and such).

Putting a flower shop on IP is asking for abuse. A lot of vets would go there to farm flowers, and that's not good.

I think it's a good idea for newbies to explore the game, forcing them to stay on IP until level 15 would cause a lot of them to be frustrated and leave the game, in addition to crowding IP way too much.