Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Kedan

MM potions

Ok basicly everyone knows that the mm claok is too powerful. So i was thinking maybe it can be made into a high level potion. so it could be something like;

Potion of MM - give's you the mm perk for 5 minutes

Items needed: 1 Empty Vial, 1 Polar Bear Fur, 1 Iron Bar

required nexuses: Vegetal 5

Recommended skills: Potion 50

experience given: Potion exp 150

Food subtracted: 35

stackable: Yes

Also for artic chims, and any monsters that are added later that ignore MM there could be a seperate potion for ignoring them. so something like

Potion of artic chim repellent - artic chims ignore you for 5 minutes

Items needed: 1 Empty Vial, 1 titianum short sword, 3 bones, and then maybe some flowers

required nexuses: Vegetal 6

Recommended skills: Potion 60

experience given: Potion exp 180

Food subtracted: 40

stackable: Yes

I like my mm cape, useful when I want to make a contest or explore dangerous areas.

I like the potions idea, though. Especially specific ones.

Hehe, standing face to face with arctic chimerian, taking screenshots, while you receive a message: "Your repellent has worn off"

Although I disagree on MM potion idea (I think the cape is enough), I find it useful to have such specific repellents on the ultimate monsters (and players maybe too, lol)

Ye, but if those potions came would be other drops to fighters to keep the economic chain working.

It would be cool, as Gilean said, to have specific monster stuff, like potion of cyc repelent, of fluff repelent, etc. :brooding:

I ment to get ride of mm cloak totally as its to easy to get one and then wear it all the time. This way you will have to plan when to use it and bring enough to get you where ever you want to go, and it will also mean newbies will be able to get it as it wont be like 4k, but about 100gc, but then they wont have it forever.

The only problem is people will be annoyed if all the mm cloaks disapear from there storages, and if the mm cloak is removed as a drop for fighters, so maybe if the mm cloak was just changed to have another use, that way noone losses anything

well i would say get ride of that two and give everyone that had it back there pick pions and money, but thats more of a big deal than getting ride of the cloak. but i deffently would suggest it

its too hard to just get rid of the cloak, if all my cloaks disappeared i would want some type of compensation, as would everyone who has MM cloaks.

Great idea if it can be worked though :)

I still think we need lvl requirements for capes brought back. It used to be potion cape that stopped monsters attacking you. You needed 30 potion to wear it, was much better :)

well i would say get ride of that two and give everyone that had it back there pick pions and money, but thats more of a big deal than getting ride of the cloak. but i deffently would suggest it

Oh man... you have no clue how much work it would be... if I were you I would start praying Learner doesn't see it or you're in very very nasty troubles for even suggestion of it :>

(In shortage... this would be loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooots of work)

i always thought mm spoiled the game in some ways slightly. i gets rid of that "danger" factor which would normally excite me and make me more aware. i'd like to see something different, maybe an mm potion, but also maybe have expensive special stones which instantly kill a specific monster (and not players), without it dropping anything and without giving exp (so it would only be used for avoiding monsters). this would still allow exploring, but would allow the danger of running out of stones.

Is the complaint about MM from people who took the perk and now wish they haven't, or from people who don't like others using it?

It seems like every day there are posts which boil down to an assumption that there is one way to play the game, and that anyone playing with different goals and aspirations must be wrong and stopped. Very frustrating...

Removing MM cape and perk would be a very drastic shift in balance, affecting characters who may quite legitimately have invested in the perk for their style of play.

If there is a case that MM is too strong, then rather than replace it with something else (which may then have its own host of unforseen problems), try to define why, where, and when MM is overpowered, and conversly where it does work well (since people do use it, this must be true).

I recall suggesting two incremental adjustments which would make MM more of a peaceful-only feature (assuming that interpretation of MM is right):

• Disable MM for some period after initiating an attack (not if you are attacked), either timed (reuse cooldown?) or until a map change. If you are acting hostile, then creatures are not going to ignore you. This limits the use of MM to bypass stronger monsters to train on weaker ones, unless very careful!
  • If a monster or animal survives a combat but is wounded, it becomes enraged; red name, ignores MM, as in invasions. Characters using MM to lurk around dangerous areas to steal death bags would now be at risk (though this is a legitimate alternate interpretation of MM; representing stealth in the role of a thief). Define 'wounded' as appropriate (eg, taken 10% or more of its maxium).

Actually, having written that, the interpretation of MM as a stealth effect seems like a better rational than monsters likeing you for some reason...

Yet another alternative take on MM would be for it to add a bonus to Defense for the purpose of hostile creatures not attacking you; say +20. Which would mean the areas characters could safely explore with MM would increase as they develop.

Though if we go down that route, then why not include attributes into the bonus? Characters could choose to develop their MM bonus without having to develop fightering skills. For example, if MM is being affable to monsters, then add Charm; if its stealth and avoidance, add perception (keeping the disassociation with "fighter" attributes) or dexterity (which has a better rational).

Edited by trollson

It would be cool, as Gilean said, to have specific monster stuff, like potion of cyc repelent, of fluff repelent, etc. :P

Just if you can use just one repelent at the same time :)

If a monster or animal survives a combat, it becomes enraged
so use a newb-alt to stir up critters so they attack people with MM? possibility for abuse here.

otherwise I agree. I was using it so I could harvest in dangerous places. that and getting books, I think, is a quite valid use. using it so you can train in a dangerous place (like gargs in VC) somewhat less so.

these days I don't need it for most places, but I still chuck my green cape on if using SKF as a short path between NC and DP, or for bag retreival (which would also be harder with enragable monsters)

I love the idea of getting rid of the MM cloak.

Yes, it would change the game completely, but that doesn't mean it would ruin it. On the contrary, I've always thought that the MM perk/cloak makes the game way too simple in many ways.

The game is after all still in beta stage, so big changes are still being made anyway, items/monsters/maps and more being added which influence the gameplay ALOT, the game is free, I don't think you can complain too much if all of a sudden you lost all your MM cloaks. We all started with nothing and got where we are now, we can do that again, can't we? New challenges! :P

We've all grown accustomed to using the cloak when it's required, knowing we're completely safe when we need emerals and don't have defense 51+ for example.

I'm not at def 51+, and I'd have a hard time getting used to there not being an MM cloak/perk, but I think it'd be quite exciting having to adjust to the new circumstances.

I'd really like to see the change Kedan suggested, having MM potions instead of cloak/perk.

Give it a shot and see what happens. The way it is now it's too easy, I say that even though I'd have huge trouble getting some ingreds without it and the MM cloak helped a lot when my def level was below 26 and 21.

Still, with some changes in other aspects of the game this could really get the market going. People would have to buy some ingreds they can't harvest because there are strong monsters "guarding" the resources.

I'm pretty sure it won't be done anyway, but I just wanted to place my vote in favor of getting rid of MM cloak and perk and make the game more exciting with MM potions for example. :)

Or how about making the MM cloak and perk block the really big monsters only. Let's say cyc and above, up to arctic chim? At least you wouldn't be able to go to all places right from the start. There'd be some more goals for (relatively) new players to train a/d so they can safely go explore the world.

so use a newb-alt to stir up critters so they attack people with MM? possibility for abuse here.

otherwise I agree. I was using it so I could harvest in dangerous places. that and getting books, I think, is a quite valid use. using it so you can train in a dangerous place (like gargs in VC) somewhat less so.

these days I don't need it for most places, but I still chuck my green cape on if using SKF as a short path between NC and DP, or for bag retreival (which would also be harder with enragable monsters)

Of course enraged creature would return normal after certain amount of time (longer for higher monster?). For example enragement would be 10 seconds for brown rabbit or 10 minutes for cyclop.

I would like to see:

1. The mm perk totally removed.

2. The cape remain but be harder to get and harder to wear.

3. Mm potions should be generic, creature specific would be pointless on maps that have cycs, fluffies, ogres, chims all together, unless you can use more than one potion at one given time. I do like the idea of mm potions though.

I admit the idea is interesting, but having ability to make MM potions will totally ruin current status of MM cloak on the market. Selling MM cloak is now much more difficult than 2 years ago, and the price is much lower. Having MM potions will totally destroy MM market (IMHO).

This is a possibility, but it seems like a pretty specific abuse.

Rephrase the condition then, to what I was envisaging:

A creature that survives a combat but is
wounded
will become enraged. Define
"wounded"
as appropriate
(eg, taken 10% damage)

The sacrifical newby would have to be capable of dealing some damage to a creature to enrage it. Which can be rather difficult if you are taunting the bigger beasties.

Though this could still lead to some rampant rabbit rampages on IP...

Of course enraged creature would return normal after certain amount of time (longer for higher monster?). For example enragement would be 10 seconds for brown rabbit or 10 minutes for cyclop.

Nah. Let it run amoke :confused: It could be fun, having to put out the call to potent fighters to deal with a mad Fluffy!

I was thinking of the scenario where a character has just failed against a monster, so it may not have many hit points left. Less of a threat that one on full health.

Though, if monsters recover from damage like characters (I'm not sure whether they do or not), then if it could calm down after it passed over the threshold mentioned above.

Edited by trollson

Guest zoisite

I love my MM cloak -- how else is a newbie like me going to mine 300 rubies (for a God quest)? Yeah, I could have paid the $ and bought them in the MarketPlace, but that would not have been fun.

A 5 minute potion is not enough -- it took me about 45 minutes (mostly lost in the case) for each trip back and forth to storage.

I do agree that the cloak should become ineffective if an attack is initiated.

how else is a newbie like me going to mine 300 rubies (for a God quest)?

I think the question should be "Should a newbie be able to do this?". After all, a newbie is a... newbie. The character is weak and it can only increase his chances my using powerful and expensive magic. :wacko:

My suggestion:

- remove the perk (give back PPs to people if possible)

- make MM cloak 10 times harder to get (low supply + high demand = expensive magic; the initial supply of MM capes stocked at storage can be quickly sold with nice profit - unfair advantage for some people? yup, life is unfair, some win, some loose)

- make MM potions cost around 100 gc and last for 5 minutes with 7-10 minutes cooldown (does not allow the potion to be used instead of cloak)

The cloak would still find buyers because it would give constant protection. The potions would be a cheap alternative.

PS. I do have the MM perk and I think it spoiled some of my gameplay :rolleyes:

PS2. I don't have an MM cape I could sell for nice profit