Eternal Lands Official Forums
Drakos7

[patch] side stats bars

I submitted a HUD patch today to allow for a graphical indication of level progress in the side bar.

http://developer.berlios.de/patch/index.ph...1&group_id=1256

It also will hide the analog clock if you select "digital clock". I probably should have made 2 separate patches...

Please give me your thoughts/comments.elmod_2.jpg

Edited by Drakos7

It looks very nice, but why does it need to hide the digital clock? It seems like there is more than adequate space below the quick bar to put it.

If you are running at 800x600 there is not enough room and it overlaps the OA statusbar. Like I said, I should have separated them into 2 patches...

If you are running at 800x600 there is not enough room and it overlaps the OA statusbar. Like I said, I should have separated them into 2 patches...

Maybe make the placement depend on resolution and whether or not the clock is enabled.

Also, to me it looks crowded, so I'd never use it.

The patch applies ok and compilatoin is no problem. But I cant see the bars, though the spacing is ok and the clock is hidden.

The patch adds a new configuration option "View Side Stats Bars" that needs to be enable to see the bars.

Edited by jamincollins

Now I can start to feel dumb :lol: Thanks. However, I think I found a bug. When the bars are not activated, the items are missplaced. For example, if I click into crafting then OA is selected, and the same for the rest of the items.

I really like the idea behind this patch, but a few suggestions. First, if the new option isn't selected, the skills should be displayed without any extra spacing (just as they were before). Also, as Learner already suggested, make the disabling of the analog clock resolution dependant or another option. Additionally, if the analog clock is disabled, change the font color of the digital clock to white and position it halfway between the skills and the compass.

I like this thing, it gives you a fast idea on how much do you need to advance in a skill without having to open the skills window. Now that you are on the work, would it be possible to add an option to show/hide the compass background (so only the indicator would be displayed). I say this because taking out the analogic clock really improves the look when using the transparent hud (when you press F6). If that was possible then I would look perfect.

Found what appears to be a bug with the patch. All the skills but Alchemy appear to be updating just fine. However, the Alchemy bar does not appear to be moving at all. I just got an Alchemy level and the bar under it on the side still indicates I'm only about 20% through the level. This also appears to be the same as the bar for Harvest.

Yep, checking the patch confirms it:

+		//ALCHEMY
+		if (++stat == watch_this_stat)
+			glColor3f(0.77f, 0.57f, 0.39f);
+		else
+			glColor3f(1.0f,1.0f,1.0f);
+		snprintf(str,sizeof(str),"%-3s %3i",attributes.alchemy_skill.shortname,your_info.alchemy_skill.base);
+		draw_string_small(x, y, str, 1);
+		if (show_statsbars_in_hud)
+		{
+			y+=14;
+			baselev = your_info.harvesting_skill.base;
+			cur_exp = your_info.harvesting_exp;
+			len = 54-54.0f/(float)((float)(exp_lev[baselev+1]-exp_lev[baselev])/(float)(exp_lev[baselev+1]-cur_exp));
+			draw_side_stats_bar(x,y,len,0.1f,0.4f,0.1f);
+			y+=4;
+		}
+		else
+		{
+			y+=18;
+		}

Edited by jamincollins

LOL! thanks jamin. I have fixed this bug 3 times now as I have switched computers so many times. And I keep restoring from an old copy of my source edits! Dumb copy paste... I will re-fix it and try to remove the clock aspect.

Edited by Drakos7

Well, I never like screwing things up! 0ctane is already getting requests to add this to the OSX port (which he refuses to do rightfully so). I will improve this in a couple iterations so that it conforms better to the overall hud design (separate the clock part,...) But thank you all for your feedback. I plan on submitting a better patch sometime today.

OK, I have updated this patch. It makes the code a LOT cleaner, though it looks different now. I think I do like the smaller bars better, but I do not want to move the skill texts around. Here is a picture

060131awnstatsbar3fk.jpg

This way we do not have to mess with the clock at all. It just puts the bars into the background.

Edited by Drakos7

I have a question.

Why do you assign the values to new variables before passing them?

baselev = your_info.attack_skill.base;
cur_exp = your_info.attack_exp;

OK, I have updated this patch. It makes the code a LOT cleaner, though it looks different now. I think I do like the smaller bars better, but I do not want to move the skill texts around. Here is a picture

060131awnstatsbar3fk.jpg

This way we do not have to mess with the clock at all. It just puts the bars into the background.

Looks great and I assume that this new feature can be turned off too?

I applied the patch to latest CVS (as of 2350 02022006), can't find the button to toggle it on in the settings window...am I missing something?