Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

Changes to the PK system. Yes or no?

I was wondering, what would you think about changing the fighting system (both PvP and player v monsters/animals) so instead of having 'combat turns' as we have now, and being locked in combat, have a system similar to RTS games, where you can attack only those next to you, but you or they can flee at any time, without "you failed to flee" messages.

This, IMHO, will add a lot of strategy to the game, enabling much better guild wars and such. Most of the MMORPGs have the system I described, so what do you think?

I love turnbased... keep it.

But, it would be good if you could flee at any time. :D

199169[/snapback]

It will still be sort of turned based, in the way that the players will attack eachother once the combat is started, but you can flee at any time.

I love turnbased... keep it.

But, it would be good if you could flee at any time. ;)

199169[/snapback]

100% agree keep it but fleeing at any time is will be great

That will (most likely) only work if the monsters/animals will auto-attack you once you hit them, or you will have to chase them forever.

For PvP it would be very nice, adding some tactics and realism to the fights

For PvP it would be very nice, adding some tactics and realism to the fights

199196[/snapback]

I agree-in real life, if someone hits you and you don't want them to keep doing it, what do you do? RUN! :ph34r: Or fight back, if you feel you can do it without dying :) So you'd have the option of running like a little coward, or standing your ground and seeing who is the pwner of the day, with more strategy ;) . I like it :D:icon13::icon13:

be better if you could try to run at any time, but the keyword is try. there should be a chance that the other person has time to land a blow as you back away. this would be only if you're the other persons target though

I also don't like the 1 timeslice = 1 hit thingy... it'd be nice for different speeds based on weapon size (and then daggers with low damage could compare to greatswords because you have to think about what to use. tactical decisions are great)

The problem would be chasing fast moving animals (snakes, rabbits, goblins, etc.), but it would add alot more strategy to PvP :D. I say try it, and if it don't work, change it back.

:P Dunian :battleaxe:

Ok, I'll admit up front I am a combat idiot.

How exactly does this add to strategy other than now we would have to chase our targets all over the maps for each hit? I am sure I am missing something, but I would appreciate any detailed description of what would be different than what we have now other than that.

is click-to-attack the idea here, or is it just that you can flee at any time? (as opposed to how hard it is to escape currently)

Old Mudder :)

Ok, I love the idea of being able to flee like in real life. And I love the idea that different weapons have different speeds. But to take full advantage of this system we need something. Multi combat. Currenly only a few maps have it. Why do they not all have it? I understand that certain maps it would not be good... But why not have it MUCH more common. Possible tatics Im looking into.

A large group could actually overpower a single strong player because of multicombat and tatics. Players running in, hitting, fleeing. Healing and running back into the fight. Whoa! This would help SO MUCH! The powergamers may not like it, but with this system an army of mid-levels could easily kill a high-level character. (We need a way to nullify spells you know :D Restore is amazingly strong)

On the topic of monsters fleeing. Set up the creatures the same way Humans would do it. Fight until you are low of health, then flee. Then the one or two next hits (While he is fleeing) will actually kill that creature. In Mudding we had a number we could set. When a mob's (creature's) health would reach that level (or precentage) the mob would flee. You could also set a Fear factor. Rabbits would have a very high factor, while Trolls and Fluffy would have none, They would attack to the death with no fleeing or fear of what happened (Depending on the level of the player)

Ok, lots of ideas all into one. Mainly they come from Mudding.

Thumbs up here :P , Especially if we get Multicombat more common.

Edited by Brom

Ok, I'll admit up front I am a combat idiot.

How exactly does this add to strategy other than now we would have to chase our targets all over the maps for each hit?  I am sure I am missing something, but I would appreciate any detailed description of what would be different than what we have now other than that.

199251[/snapback]

I agree that anything that makes PvP more like frantically trying to click on rabbits on IP is probably not a good thing. And you shouldn't be able to automatically get away(but it shouldn't be as random as it seems to be now).

Changes to make things more strategic would be fine. ie, make more or all maps multicombat, get more useful spells and things, maybe implement things like walk speed, encumberance, weapons speed, and so forth, but if the attacker has higher speed at a given moment, fleeing shouldn't work, I shouldn't have to click again just because the target started moving away.

I don't think changes should be done that makes the game more about reflexes. Skill levels and strategy, good. Reflexes and connection speed, bad.

well heres an idea.... keep it to can flee at anytime BUT add abilities to some weapons that require etheral points to use that are stronger and maybe can slow/knock back a target..they could be rare monster drops or an added item that manuers can add to a weapon....just a quick thought...

This, IMHO, will add a lot of strategy to the game, enabling much better guild wars and such. Most of the MMORPGs have the system I described, so what do you think?

199167[/snapback]

My question is why EL should have the same system as "most of the MMORPGs" ? Aren't you proud of EL being a different game than all the other games? :) I am.

I don't want any changes in fighting system... oh maybe small changes only.

No, leave it as is. :wub:

It sounds sort of like r***s****, plus it would make Disengagement rings completly useless :)

199265[/snapback]

Actually disengagement rings have the ability to stall someone for 5 seconds is it? thats a massive advantage. Just means pkers will have to "think" more =)

On a side note, removing the ability to flee fight, would mean those who are getting stupid ammounts of attack would have to think a little more about the gods they choose, or just taking godless. Might even make godless more of a disadvantage when trying to keep levels even.

Edited by Zep

try hunt a rabbit or similar in a forest and you will see that it can get very insane trying to locate that ball of fur quite fast.

so if that ball of fur can suddeny turn and run we need some way to tag it, either for pursuit or easyer attacking ones we are close to it.

maybe have a way of cycle thru visible animals within attack range so that you only have to get within range, watch the attackable animals highlight and then hit a key to cycle them, and another to attack.

it does not help that the autoselect for the attack action have to hover over the target for atleast one frame before the client does the switch. ok, so one can set it to default to the attack action when hoverd over somethig but still...

either that or give the client some way to remove or make transparent items that are between the camera and the character so that its atleast a bit easyer to see where the hell that furball jumped of to...

personally, I'm not a big fan of the "flee at any time" business, unless you make the animals give chase automatically. Plus, this basically makes the disengagement rings obsolete.

I also don't like having to be up next to the monster to attack, sometimes you can't get next to them... although I like it for pvp for the exact reason I hate it for pvm (player vs. monster).

If you want to get away from a turn-based fighting style, I would like to see something that actually weighs the player's skills and stats, and makes each player attack at different speeds. Attack speed would have to be dependent on attack experience (maybe also broken down as experience per weapon class (sword, staff, unarmed...) and/or a player stat dealing with agility (maybe Reaction - could also play an effect to up the chance to flee). Armor could also slow down reaction speed...

Just throwing ideas.

Yeah, and the diss ring freezes the enemy for 5 seconds.

5 seconds you have to whack his a**.

That, and other suggestions mentioned above, would add A LOT of tactics to the game.

Muahahahah :)

Piper

Well, idea sounds interesting... but

Ideas from devs ALWAYS are cool, and at end we ALWAYS get something screwed up and completely different from what it was described/discussed on forum...

it looks like this time pvp trainings are in danger, so people: TRAIN A/D BEFORE IT ISN'T TOO LATE !!

Also it seems Diss Rings won't be necessary anymore, just use tele ring to get out from combat zone... how we suppose tu use them if we are not engaged in combat ? And if it will freeze enemy he will use diss ring too when you attack him...and so on.

And about more 'strategy and tactics'... pure b/s! The winner will be always player with faster fingers and lower pings this way, so the only strategy will be: play much RTSes and buy better connection/comp...

the question should be then: do we want our mmorpg to become another hack'slash ? NO !*

Oh, well, anyway noone is listening to players and probably they already working on it, so better back to train a/d instead of writing here...

PS. * - if you answered YES go play Conquer Online or such...

Edited by Gen_Axis