Eternal Lands Official Forums

Ok:

I know luring is not technically against game rules, but shouldn't privacy settings be opt out (i.e. stats are hidden by default), rather than opt in?

I wonder if this would make it more difficult for scammers to look up newbies' stats and take their stuff.

<thread/>*

and Puntise, if someone has full dragon armors+NMT, in mine, and probably most other peoples including radu's eyes, they're not 'newbs'.

Edited by _iNvoKeD

I think people who are in 40-60 and get lured are still newbs, since it is relatively easy to get to those levels. It's not as if it is solely people with NMTs and full dragon armour who are getting lured.

I think people who are in 40-60 and get lured are still newbs, since it is relatively easy to get to those levels. It's not as if it is solely people with NMTs and full dragon armour who are getting lured.

IF they thought they were still newbs, and actually read the rules; they would #Abuse <player> for luring newbies.

IF the mods had any problems with people luring (Such as mine frien Geoffrey) do you not think he would have been banned/warned by now?

Where exactly have I discussed moderation? I don't actually think I have questioned the rules. They are the way they are and I'm not trying to have that changed.

If the mods had no problem whatsoever, they would probably do it themselves.

Edited by puntise

There. If the mods consider that someone who has been lured is a newb, the lurer shall be punished accordingly. So please stop discussing moderation.

Lovely thread. For various reasons.

Nevertheless, I see no reason to make #privacy on default. I doubt it would help to protect newcomers.

Personally, I would love to see a definition of a newbie. More! I would love to see them marked with a different nick colour or some symbol next to their nick.

just give a player with less than 3 skills over 20 and OA below 40 (both random numbers) PK protection, and give them a screenwide pop up giving them a lecture about PK areas so that they're warned. This ofc would only be a one time thing, and #reset doesn't prolongue the immunity.

As usual no clue on feasibility programming wise

It really is hard to define newb these days. It used to be oa 20 or a skill at or around 20, basically anything too new to be accepted into a guild (where it was assumed the guildies would guide and advise him).

However, with the arrival of all the quests and tutorials, a true newbie is much higher leveled these days and much more quickly too. It isn't so easy to define. But that said, if a player is advanced enough to earn top gear (or advanced enough to know how to get it another way), and has a fair set of stats that shows enough knowledge of the game to progress relatively intelligently (or again, knowledge enough as to how to acquire a pre-leveled character), he's not a newb. (One "high" stat could be a lucky event, multiple show some commitment and time).

There is a reason true newbs aren't supposed to start with the best of everything. They have a lot to learn before they can take care of it and handle the consequences.

Case by case basis. Sorry.

I don't like stats privacy as it is.

(Also I don't know too many newbs who want a big flashing newb label of any sort. Just ask them: they came from Runescape or WoW and are pr0.)

I don't see a point to having the privacy being set on being default. That said, I'd like to see the stats and buddy privacy be able to set separately.

I don't see a point to having the privacy being set on being default. That said, I'd like to see the stats and buddy privacy be able to set separately.

This has been asked for multiple times w/o no action. I'd like to keep my privacy on (on since someone told me he knew he could kill me by looking at stats) and still be able to get new buddies.

(Also I don't know too many newbs who want a big flashing newb label of any sort. Just ask them: they came from Runescape or WoW and are pr0.)

I don't really care about their overoptimistic self-esteem.

If there is a protected species it should be possible to recognise by everybody, shouldn't it?

remove whole privacy, whats the point of having privacy anyways?

Why have players levels listed somewhere anyways? Why do you want to know them?

About protecting newbies, there could be a given level, a+d, OA or whatever, you need to enter ANY PK map. So, when a newbie gets the message, that he can't enter a PK map because of his low levels, and a small explanation about newbie looting, that should help a lot IMO.

Same could be made for dangerous maps with strong monsters, like SKF or TD or RoT or Grubani. Don't let NEWBIES enter them, until they got a certain level.

And by talking about that level, i mean something like a+d<40 or such, not a+d<100 or 200.

I think, defining a newbie as someone with a+d<40 hits the nail on its head.

anyone who got a+d>=40 and still has no clue, isnt a newbie but an eternal noob :P

Piper

Piper

Edited by The_Piper

a+d<40 may be way too early. 2-3 dailies from Haidir + some training and you get it. Maybe until lvl 20 atk and def you are not able to do daily quests? It will extend a bit time to get the minimum of knowledge.

anyone who got a+d>=40 and still has no clue, isnt a newbie but an eternal noob :P

Agreed.

@Learg

I do not think newbies should be allowed to pick-up Haidir or any other a/d boosting quest. They should have their time to learn anything about the game BEFORE they start the grinding madness.

Edited by Vanyel

But this is basically the same argument that's gone on about a required "Newbie Island". Last I knew, radu didn't want to restrict newbies from being able to jump full steam into the game if that is what they wanted, which is why it was removed and tutorials are optional in the first place. There were a lot of complaints. Restricting maps and activities and big giant newbie labels fall under that same umbrella, so I doubt anything like this will happen.

And back on topic about privacy, @ pip: People will always want to know other's levels, if for no other reason than to know what they need to beat to be #1, or what have you. Curiosity and competition is human nature. I never cared for the secrecy. Everybody has an opinion. ;)

Why have players levels listed somewhere anyways? Why do you want to know them?

About protecting newbies, there could be a given level, a+d, OA or whatever, you need to enter ANY PK map. So, when a newbie gets the message, that he can't enter a PK map because of his low levels, and a small explanation about newbie looting, that should help a lot IMO.

Same could be made for dangerous maps with strong monsters, like SKF or TD or RoT or Grubani. Don't let NEWBIES enter them, until they got a certain level.

And by talking about that level, i mean something like a+d<40 or such, not a+d<100 or 200.

I think, defining a newbie as someone with a+d<40 hits the nail on its head.

Piper

Piper

Whats the point in having stats, just so you can't see them?

And back on topic about privacy, @ pip: People will always want to know other's levels, if for no other reason than to know what they need to beat to be #1, or what have you. Curiosity and competition is human nature. I never cared for the secrecy. Everybody has an opinion. ;)

@Aisy, true, but for the same reason people want to hide their stats (especially att+def), so that no one knows how strong they are. regarding other skills, yeah, it is quite lame, but i think, hiding your att+def stats can be important.

@scarr "Whats the point in having stats, just so you can't see them?"

this exactly point regarding att+def levels. I am not the PKer or fighter, thats you. Do you want everybody to know your levels, so they chan choose, if and how they can fight and kill you? I won't , but i don't really care, since i am not very often on PK maps.

About other skills, i don't care and don't see a problem with privacy. I don't care, if someone knows my potion level, its 31 or somthing like that.

Does that information helps you in any way?

If yes, good for you :P

Piper

It would be interesting if you could get a rough idea of a person's physique. Perhaps having the accuracy of it based on your perception level. Seeing accurate stats for people is a departure from role-playing.

Looking at a person that is in combat might allow you to get rough ideas of a person's reasoning, coordination and instinct. Once more, a basic role-playing concept. You have to see a person using attributes to guess at what they are. For physique, well, that is physique....should be easy to guess just by looking at a person. The server could even give you comparisons to monsters. "that person seems as strong as a cyclops and and coordinated as a panther"

Edited by nathanstenzel