Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
HereticEast

hand cannons

You mean something like arkebuse, right? Though they are know since 14th century, I myself would not like to see any firearm around. Because, if you want to do it right, arkebuses were able to penetrate any thinkable armor back then, used by infantry againts knight cavalry. If they were introduced like this, they would be very overpowered, if not, they would not be credible enough.

So a NO from me, sorry.

i don't think they would be overpowered... if they were expensive, always more inaccurate than bows... and had a lengthy cooldown and shorter range. they were good on a battlefield ONLY because they were so cheap. the most lethal execution would be if they are massed.... with teleport rings. you can kind of do that anyway with archery too so....

well,cool idea of strong,inaccurate and short ranged weapon,but pleeeaase,don't put any kind of guns or old style guns or almost guns ingame... (guns are too technological,too new,too non-fantasy...)

have you ever seen guns next to magic?(do not answer if yes)

rather make another crossbow,we have only one kind atm,some uber crossbow would be nice for those who make bolts....

Well lots of fantasy works gunpowder with magic.... Lotr that sure looked like a gunpodwer device used to blow a hole in the wall :P

However hand connons were very slow, and highly inacurate. ideal for firing into an army to cause damage, but agasint an individual like the typical combat scenario in el it would be very impraticle. As for penetrating armour no idea how a traditional hand cannon would fare against dragon armour, but i bet it would fare poorly agasint titanium plate, similar to the armour the typical tank has nowdays, which seems to do a great job of stopping high powered rounds from modern fire arms :P

However in game

Id think it would have

a terrible accuracy,

resonable damage

but an excellent crit hit and dam.

Should be VERY slow to use, perhaps increase the damage to keep it blanaced, one good shot with a typical archer using a bow getting 2 or 3 shots off.

Would also likely require shot (or iron bolts iirc from the begining of the use of fire arms) as well as possibly a fire essence per shot. perhaps having to have the fire essence used with the weapon to load it thus slowing its use down.

A lovely use of blackpowder however and the eng skill, as well as another option for rangers.

However improving to more "modern firearms" even the humble arquebus would be silly imo, and would detract from the fantasy realm....but again can think of a few exceptions to this over the years.

hand cannons are more 'Medieval' than mines. in the middle ages mining referred only to digging tunnels under castle walls and using explosives to sabotage the castle walls if the castle was not built on rock. so them being too modern is not a good reason.

hand cannons are more 'Medieval' than mines. in the middle ages mining referred only to digging tunnels under castle walls and using explosives to sabotage the castle walls if the castle was not built on rock. so them being too modern is not a good reason.

as I believe radu has said before, EL is fantasy, not Medieval.

Edited by Shujral

well,cool idea of strong,inaccurate and short ranged weapon,but pleeeaase,don't put any kind of guns or old style guns or almost guns ingame... (guns are too technological,too new,too non-fantasy...)

Arcanum had a neat idea of science versus arcane, and had guns and magic ingame that juxtaposed quite well. Perhaps using such tech stuff in EL should have similar short-term penalties to Magic skill as well as the inaccuracy?

Those who said 'no' due to being too 'modern'. Have you forgotten the back story?

Scotty? Teleporting? Ring any bells?

IE space the final frontier, space ships, lasers, etc...

:P

Can I have my Bat'leth then? I still think this idea is a bad one

rather make another crossbow,we have only one kind atm,some uber crossbow would be nice for those who make bolts....

You need to play more than 1 mmorpg in your life...

From what you say your experience into Rpgames must be very very limited...

I just can´t understand why you separate fantasy and technology...

Rpgs are rpgs...now the elements that make the rpg setting are something else...

Now about the cannons, if we get stuff like that, i think it should look old, dirty and fallible just like the real one, too much technology would be out of the game setting.

Since we have mines, i dont see any problem with this.

I agree with you and I LOVE the idea. This is a FANTASY game and we need more new stuff. When I read posts with the word 'Medieval' or something related, I just think WTH are they talking about, a high percentage of the stuff we have on EL never ever existed in RL. Cannons or guns are way more fun than 'land mines' and 'caltrops' and some other stuff.

I apologize for my crappy english (is not my mother language ;))

Have a nice day.

Strahovsky.

I agree with you and I LOVE the idea. This is a FANTASY game and we need more new stuff. When I read posts with the word 'Medieval' or something related, I just think WTH are they talking about, a high percentage of the stuff we have on EL never ever existed in RL. Cannons or guns are way more fun than 'land mines' and 'caltrops' and some other stuff.

I apologize for my crappy english (is not my mother language ;))

Have a nice day.

Strahovsky.

Bad choice of examples.

From Wikipedia:

Iron caltrops were used as early as 331 BC at Gaugamela according to Quintus Curtius (IV.13.36). They were known to the Romans as tribulus or sometimes as Murex ferreus, the latter meaning 'jagged iron'.

and land mines go back farther then you think

Explosive landmines were being used in 1277 AD by the Song Dynasty Chinese against an assault of the Mongols, who were besieging a city in southern China. The invention of this detonated "enormous bomb" was credited to one Lou Qianxia of the 13th century.[4] The famous 14th century Chinese text of the Huolongjing, which was the first to describe hollow cast iron cannonball shells filled with gunpowder,

Nice source Learner, but actually I was talking about FUN STUFF, not real or unreal stuff. EL is a very nice game (I've played a lot of MMORPGs and I'd rather to play EL for sure), but we need more nice stuff to have fun. My point with the caltrops and land mines it was that we cant have fun with them, well, at least not the noobs players like me and players with medium stats. Its ok if no one likes the guns idea, but we need new stuff for sure. I guess the right word is 'Diversity'.

Have a nice day.

Strahovsky.

If you want such an overpowered thing as a hand cannon, I think there would be some game mechanics for Radu to work on. Our bows and crossbows are either a hit or miss everything situation. That is not actually accurate. Miss a critter you are shooting at and you might hit a friend or an even scarier thing that is nearby. This would be even more likely with hand cannons.

Hand cannons weigh alot and take up alot of space. We are lucky that we are allowed to carry as much crap as we are allowed to carry with no ill effects on our character. With all the gunpowder involved, these would have to be stored in hazardous storage and would probably have a 20-50% chance of blowing up when you take fire damage if they are loaded and gunpowder itself would probably have the same property. (would require extra programming)

You would probably blow yourself up if you mess with landmines or hand cannons and don't have enough knowledge of them. If handcannons are added, I would like that to be added as well so that when you hand a friend a landmine to place in an invasion, he blows himself up because he is a moron when it comes to engineering.

Hand cannons would have a chance to not go off or to actually blow up due to structural problems. Blowing up in your hands or in your backpack or on your person would most likely cause instant death.

I have heard of slightly quiet bows and arrows (usually the bow or crossbow would make a "twing" noise and the arrow would go "woosh", but some noises could be silenced a little). Hand cannons.....would be heard from across the map and there is no avoiding that....even from inside a house or in a cave or basement. That would require more programming to bring that level of detail.

As for storyline.....tech doesn't really work right here and James T Kirk made a hand cannon 3 feet long to fight a violent lizard man in the original Star Trek series.

I hope you all enjoy this rather level review of the possibility. I feel that when people ask for things, the pros and cons must be weighed. In this case, the cons are that this would require alot of expanding in the EL set of game mechanics and that it would be possible that your own weapon would kill you.