Eternal Lands Official Forums
The_Piper

Why to join the PK server.

Well, i post this here in General Chat, just for all those who dont read the PK server thread.

First myth to get rid off is that you get killed on sight when you log in there. Thats wrong, there are a lot of safe places. For example, Isla Prima is safe, if you wanna die at once attack a beaver, works like charm, like on the main server too :P

So there are safe areas, you just have to find them. Some storages are even save, so you can manu/alch/craft/whatever in peace.

There are no mods, and, belive it or not, there are no mods needed right now, because the server/community is self-moderating. All that social stuff works, kill me and i wont sell stuff to you. Behave like an idiot, i will #ignore you. Welcome on my PK list. So ppl tend to be more or less nice and helpful, which is somehow fascinating.

Teamwork: A lot of ppl are working there together and exchanging informations and trading stuff and and and. Its somehow important there to have friends to talk to and it works, ppl are working together, communicating, helping each others.

An account there costs 5 bucks. That is an advantage, not every idiot can just create a new char and cause trouble, ppl care a little bit more what they are doing or not. So all those spammer/foul language idiots are gone.

After being a mod for more or less than 3 years on the main server, my conclusion is, the PK server is more or less what i wanted the game to be. To be FUN!

95% of all problems solved, the remaining ones will be solved soon, i guess.

So, its just my 2 euro cents, but maybe you will give the PK server a try.

Piper

(hiding behind a bush with a sharp stick and waiting for n00bs :D )

:P it is a full 2 EURO or 200 Euro cents :D

and I don't like to fight other players...that is why I dont read the PK server thread

I think the PK server has been advertized enough and finally we can breath on the main server without having and NDD for 3 days straight with nothing but invasions that kept us from doing much of anything else but fight!

No ty! I am not paying to be able to fight ... there are enough PK maps and areas on the main server if I wanted to!

And about the 'idiots'! Maybe you wont sell to them, but enough other players will for the gc, even game money has no real friends!

Peace to all :)

Thank you, Piper. I've thought about writing your exact post, but didn't get around to it. I think there are a lot of myths about the PK server, and some who might be hesitant to pay the $5 for the unknown, but I agree. I think it is better as well.

Three other aspects of the PK server that I'm really enjoying:

1. Yes, you will get killed, but that is what adds to the excitement to the game. You have to rethink your strategy. You have to think of alternate places to train or mix. You have to think about what you're carrying at all times. You can't play the game the same way or you're just going to die, lose your stuff, and get frustrated. The new challenges have added a lot of spice to the game. There is this great moment when you step into a map or go around a corner and are faced with another player. Sometimes you die, sometimes you get a new sword, and sometimes you both walk away. Any way about you, you remember that name and that person, so there is far more interaction with other players.

2. There is very little bitching and moaning when someone gets killed. If someone attacks a manuer while mixing or harvesting, they simply take note of that person and refuse to sell to them later, and sometimes they will warn other manuers who also add them to their notrade list. It's almost an interesting social experiment.

3. The economy! If you make something, you actually get what it's worth. There are fair, agreed upon prices and people are respecting them. It was agreed upon early on that no one would go 1 gc below NPC price for essences, and the prices stand. Most items are a little more expensive on the PK server, but it means that you can make gc doing something other than picking lilacs.

I know that there are many players on the main server who don't like to PK and hate the idea of possibly being attacked when trying to work. That's fine. But there are also many people who are curious about what the PK server is like and it would be nice for those people to hear.

I'm glad that many people are enjoying the PK server. It sounds like a veritable virtual paradise. But I'm happy where I am, thanks. :)

If EL had been a universal PK game, I would never have signed on to it. I either like to have PK segregated as it is on the main server, or I like to be able to turn my character's PK status on/off at will. The reason is that, no matter how much of "just a game" it is, I just can't bring myself to enjoy a state of war or find it fun or relaxing. I didn't like playing war when I was a kid, and I don't like it online.

So you guys have tons of fun over there on the PK server, and leave me here on the main server. I'll be happy to keep track of y'all with the new gossipgram service. Thanks to Gossip, we don't have to lose track of our warrior and pacifist friends. :)

Edited by peino

Just a note, to people like Ilse...or even people like peino, its not all killing and a/d and stuff. I've been enjoying leveling up a noob character and working on my other stats. Like others said items sell for good prices, for what they're worth and you finally really get paid for all that work.

I tried once to reset my character on the test server and work on how I could possible change my attributes with a reset on main to make it better, but its really hard to do much without other players around buying and selling and stuff.. so I've taken the chance to build a whole new character on the pk server with all the plusses of the main server, and no worry of messing up my main character. So for me its kinda like the new test server.

Come join the pk server :) even if its only for something to do while you harvest on main :)

I agree with most of the above. I paid my $5 to try the experiment of being a supplier on a PK server. To my surprise there are a lot of people who are also working to be suppliers, with multiple people in every skill (save engineering and tailoring). Yes, I've been killed a number of time. But most of the time after talking with them about being a supplier, we establish an agreement to leave me alone. I'm very careful about what I carry (no walking around in good stuff just to look "cool"). But my skills are developing nicely, I've entered the market, and I'm having fun. My $5 experiment is a success so far.

I'm too lazy to go there.

Would hate to make the quests again.

Would hate to need to read all the books again.

Would hate to go afk when I'm mining and find myself in underworld, when I come back 10 min after.

Or have to log off/on 20 times/hour because I have to leave some min to let the cat out/in - make coffee - talk with my neighbour - doing laundry - cooking - answer msn - read forum or anything else I use to do.

Or have to log off/on 20 times/hour because I have to leave some min to let the cat out/in - make coffee - talk with my neighbour - doing laundry - cooking - answer msn - read forum or anything else I use to do.

You don't have to do that, there are safe areas scattered everywhere, and pretty much any obscure house/cave/randomoutofthewaylocation works fine to afk in. I've only ever been killed while I was watching and walking through commonly traveled areas. :hug:

I agree with Zamirah. I have plenty to do while harvesting, and somehow, I just don't find the old fashioned kind of EL as boring as some other people seem to. And I manage to do all right economically, somehow, despite the horrible EL main server economy. I'm not going to bash PK because it's fine for those who like it, and nobody needs to care what I think of it (though frankly, for me, what is fun for all of you would be like a sentence to me). I'll just say once more, no thanks to the PK server. Ciao, and have fun there.

And if the day comes when Entropy decides to shut down the main server and run just the one version of EL, then I'll have to find some other way to get my EL fix.

You don't have to do that, there are safe areas scattered everywhere, and pretty much any obscure house/cave/randomoutofthewaylocation works fine to afk in. I've only ever been killed while I was watching and walking through commonly traveled areas. :hug:

I started training because Bob attacked me in Pl, I can mine where I want now, only achims and dragons attack me now..

So I can mine where I want.

To train mean that I have to stay at the computer - or I loose the spawn.

Safe areas don't help much if I need to walk 5 min to get there and same back.

I use to play 10-15 min, leave the 19-15 min to do RL things.

And I don't plan that I'll go afk in some min, I just leave when I have something to do.

The reason I play this game is, that I'm able to leave as soon as I need.

Not after walking to safe area first.

Some people don't move from their chair for hours, some people come and go all the time, why do you have problems with that ???

And if the day comes when Entropy decides to shut down the main server and run just the one version of EL, then I'll have to find some other way to get my EL fix.

Same here.

No1 forces any1 to go there, 5$ is nothing and if u wanna taste pk server fun im sure u will get the account there one way or another :)

Btw, somewhere on Ent's blog he said there was over 200 accounts on pk server already, and it was couple days ago :hug:

GL and HF every1, cya ingame :)

mp

Given the fact that we make almost no money on the PK server (except for the intial fee of 5 bucks which doesn't scale in time), it would be a very poor financial decision to shut down the main server.

not really, EL has many addicts. you see ppl leaving and coming back soon.

most changes which ppl bitched at didn't make them leave.

conclusion, shutting down main server forces alot of people to the pk server and pay the $5 :hug:

anyway pk server is great, just sucks that you have to chase those damn rabbits all over again x,x

The economy on the PK server is great, people can actually benefit from manuing, potions etc.

I have seen rosts being bought for $ and sold for as little as 1-2k gc, people are carrying rosts to protect their leather armors and excavator capes :)

Everyone needs the items that are being made, and each new level achieved means bigger and better items, although <cough>scarr</cough> we know you are selling SRs :hug:

Howard Stern? Whatever floats your boat I suppose..

The answer to this, and many other questions nobody should ask are all available for the princely sum of $5.

You know, all this sounds great. But let's predict a bit. What about in half a year or a year? When new people join, there will already be established guilds and players with A/D around 100. What will happen to newcomes? Will they be slaughtered on sight, because all top fighters will have their suppliers?

I don't want to accuse or be prejudice I'd like to say. I am just wondering and being curious about this particular issue.

Yes, Khalai. There will probably be tyrants and thugs, blood feuds and hatreds that flow like a crimson river. The law in this place is what you write with your blade, the blood of your enemies as ink.

Welcome to hell. :D

You know, all this sounds great. But let's predict a bit. What about in half a year or a year? When new people join, there will already be established guilds and players with A/D around 100. What will happen to newcomes? Will they be slaughtered on sight, because all top fighters will have their suppliers?

I don't want to accuse or be prejudice I'd like to say. I am just wondering and being curious about this particular issue.

With a cap of 100/100 a/d, and attribute cap of 48, and lets hope no nexus stones ;P all you need to survive is some hp+magic 40s.

If you got that, you can just heal/flee/diss, and find yourself a good trainingspot. When you hit some a/d, go train together, so you can handle lone pkers.

Ill say again and again, if there wouldnt be the possiblity to Buy Pickpoints, you can always get to the strong people their lvls.

Only they would have an advantage on oa, but thats kinda limited to, since after 150oa, xp gets kinda insane.

<snip>

Welcome to hell. :D

plus

<snip>

all you need to survive

<snip>

does not add up to something that sounds like fun.

:laugh:

Edited by peino

Imo escaping from pkers, is 10 times as more fun, as clicking mix button or clicking harvestables or clicking rabbits.

Its all a bit more challenging... and not always the same :D .

On pk server I can do all those boring stuff on a alt, while training/pking/running/escaping on main char :laugh:, while on I main I have to harvest coal/yetis to get gc to buy shit.

Imo escaping from pkers, is 10 times as more fun, as clicking mix button or clicking harvestables or clicking rabbits.

Its all a bit more challenging... and not always the same :happy: .

On pk server I can do all those boring stuff on a alt, while training/pking/running/escaping on main char :), while on I main I have to harvest coal/yetis to get gc to buy shit.

To each his own, as the saying goes. My experience is exactly the opposite. To paraphrase another quote: "There's such a deadly sameness to PKers. When you've run from or been killed by one, you've run from or been killed by the lot." *

To you, PvE and economic play (mixing, trading, etc) are just about clicking, and there's never an variation to them. To me, PvE and economic play are about quiet little strategies and planning, about learning the environment and using it to one's advantage, about making the game be and do what I want it to be without actually having to change it. If EL were a slightly different game, there would be as much or more social interaction involved in PvE and economic play as there is in PK, and the way invasions are played seem to be contributing to that a little right now. So who knows, as the PK server evolves, so might the main server.

On the other hand, to you PK is exciting and full of nuance and challenge and skill, with desirable and undesirable outcomes. To me, PK is just about clicking and there's never any variation to it. It is always the same activity, with the same people, saying the same things, and acting for the same reasons. Above all, it allows other people (aggressive PKers) to dictate how much attention I have to pay to them, whether I like paying attention to them or not.

On that last remark alone, it should be clear that I'm not cut out for an all-PK game.

EDIT: There are a number of PKer's I've sort of met in EL who I think are fun people I wouldn't mind spending time with, even if they were my adversaries, but the majority of EL PKers, no, I'm not into their scene.

(*Note: The original quote was talking about partridge hunting, not PK. :) )

Edited by peino

The economy on the PK server is great, people can actually benefit from manuing, potions etc.

I have seen rosts being bought for $ and sold for as little as 1-2k gc, people are carrying rosts to protect their leather armors and excavator capes :)

Everyone needs the items that are being made, and each new level achieved means bigger and better items, although <cough>scarr</cough> we know you are selling SRs :happy:

The answer to this, and many other questions nobody should ask are all available for the princely sum of $5.

As more people start making pots, crafting, you will see players prices drop so they can get some gc's back from there trainning to make higher end items. It will happen over time.

Everyone needs the items that are being made, and each new level achieved means bigger and better items, although <cough>scarr</cough> we know you are selling SRs :happy:

As more people start making pots, crafting, you will see players prices drop so they can get some gc's back from there trainning to make higher end items. It will happen over time.

I don't know. When everyone can make diss rings and EMPs... thats when the fighters reach their cap I suppose.

Now is the time that rodents like me can scurry around without getting killed all too often. Things will change when the trainers stop training. Probably harvesting stuff will be made more difficult.

ok i've tried pk server and it is fun the problem i had with it was that numbers were dropping at a daily rate we went from 70+ ppl online 1 week to 40ish which was far to quiet for me sorry for leaving guys maybe i'll come back when the numbers go back up even if i'm 20 lvls below every1 else :happy: