Eternal Lands Official Forums
The_Piper

changing, improving harvesting

Well, so we need now s2e's to harvest some ore.

Sounds a bit unrealistic to me, but, hey, its a fantasy world :)

At least this takes s2e's out of the game.

When harvesting ores/gems, we need a pickaxe which breaks as we all know very well. And they are even not makeable by players, you can buy them only from shops.

So, my idea is, use the manu skill to make pickaxes. For example, 2 vials, one wooden handle, mix and you get one of tankels finest glass pickaxes ;)

Increase the price for pickaxes in general store and there will be a market for them. So ppl can train manu on making pickaxes and sell them a little bit cheaper than general store does. And then lets have steel/titanium pickaxes as well, which dont break so easy, but need more ingrediences, so the price for them would be higher. Like one wooden handle, 2 iron bars, 2 steel bars and you have a steel pickaxe. one wooden handle, 2 steel bars, 2 titanium bars, one polished emerald can be a titanium pickaxe.

That would be good for manufacturers to level and bring AND TAKE OUT items to/from market.

But why do we only use pickaxes and leather gloves for harvesting?

Why not hammers and chisels? Why no acids to separate the metal from the ore before smelting it? Why no explosives?

Hammers can be made by manufacturers too, chisels maybe by crafters. Acids sounds like a job for potion makers. And explosives can maybe made by mages. Just use one vial, one FE, one coal +one sulfur and you get a nice kabooom potion.

Using things like chisels, hammers, acids, explosives could be a requirement and a harvesting event. For example, to harvest titanium ore, you need explosives. If you dont have one in your inventory, you cant harvest the ore. The usage of the explosives can be a harvest event, one explosive is removed from your inventory. (and maybe it can do some collateral damage to other harvesters nearby :P). Like "The_Piper used a kabooom potion and hurts you with 2 damage points" or such.

Same with acids, chisels, hammers, pickaxes, its a harvesting event. You need to have them in your inventory to start harvesting a certain item, maybe chisel and hammer for all gems, and they break from time to time.

So, there is a market for such items, harvesters need them and most of them are not buyable from a NPC. And they leave the game because they got used/break. And by having those items in game, we maybe get rid of mass production of helmets, pants, swords just to level up.

How does that sound? Opinions please :)

Piper

Well, we first need bats in game. As dynomite was made with 1 part coal, 1 part sulfur, and 1 part nitrogen sulfite, which in the old days was extracted by bat guano.

To subsitute the bat guano, one would need an animal that eats a lot of insects as their main diet. Sea birds are the other high guano makers, but we do not have that either.

Dynamite is made with nitroglycerine and an adsorvent. The adsorvent is used to make nitroglycerine somewhat more stable, and have easy transportation.

I would say that to make acids and explosives and such should be the work of a chemist (i am a chemist on rl, btw). Since we dont have them, alchemists are the closest to them, also potion has to do with chemistry but i would say it is more related to herbalism. So, i would recommend to alchers make this kind of stuff, of course, you would need a very high level and there are a high probability of that to kaboom on your face.

Another interesting thing would be "alchemic labs", the only places where you can mix that kind of stuff safely.

About the post who started this thread, i think have lots of nice ideas, and hopefully i will see asgnny owning noobs with a tit pickaxe.

OK Gunpowder needs coal and sulphur and saltpeter - this could be mimiced with an earth essence (extracted from earth with fire and water) So formula for powder could be (1fe+ 2 coal+2 earth ess). Additionally we all know that gunpowder needs to be contained for its explosive nature to be effective - so it has to be made with a metal container - made by the manuers (1 iron bar+3fe) to produce an explosive charge.

Now you can use the explosive charge and you take 3 paces backwards and kaboom.

Of course nothing stopping you from using one on an opponent in a pk map causing 150 damage an 50 to all adjacent squares and 10 adjacent to those squares!!!

cool idea , (using steel long & s2e is bit not realistic :omg: but it help the manu :ph34r: )

i like the damge all nearby thing (even u heal them or u make an enemy :hehe: ) but wait all high level a/d r there :P , but the sword consuming is the better for the game right now ( hope in the next update all the acid boombs thing add , it will be realistic )

my vote 4 it in the next update is 10/10 :omg:

I like the idea. I only see one problem. If we're using wooden handles to make pickaxes, they'd better be a lot better than the current ones since wooden handles cost 100 gold each. :D

Well, we first need bats in game. As dynomite was made with 1 part coal, 1 part sulfur, and 1 part nitrogen sulfite, which in the old days was extracted by bat guano.

To subsitute the bat guano, one would need an animal that eats a lot of insects as their main diet. Sea birds are the other high guano makers, but we do not have that either.

It was also extracted from outhouses ... which we have.

I like the idea. I only see one problem. If we're using wooden handles to make pickaxes, they'd better be a lot better than the current ones since wooden handles cost 100 gold each. :D

Thats a point somehow, but my intention was not to suggest new formulas for new items, my point is to have items which are really needed, like s2e to harvest new ore, AND can be made by players to level in skills. Like pickaxes, chisels, hammers, explosives, acids. :)

So its not only the fighters which break and buy manufactured stuff from other players, the harvesters can do that too. And not only buy picaxes from store or from orc drops.

Thats my point.

Piper

If I might add, about the picaxes...

if you buy one from the shop it mines at regular speed. But if ya make a titanium or wolfram picaxe (I guess one of the best metals ingame) then it should be WAY FASTER at minning things just my opinion..

if you buy one from the shop it mines at regular speed. But if ya make a titanium or wolfram picaxe (I guess one of the best metals ingame) then it should be WAY FASTER at minning things just my opinion..

You talk ****.. lol..

Afaik faster Harv'ing, means you need a higher level, not PickAxe..

It's like creating a sword that hits 5 times as quick.. :icon13::P

You talk ****.. lol..

Afaik faster Harv'ing, means you need a higher level, not PickAxe..

It's like creating a sword that hits 5 times as quick.. :icon13::P

stronger picaxe=better minning :P

Could have been evil and suggested you needed a hydrogenium pickaxe to mine hydrogenium (etc)...

(would work if small quantities of hydrogenium ore could be found by accident to seed the process)

as they look now picaxes shoul require level 5 manu to be made...

And i think a simple recipe would be

5 wood logs 3 gem sanding papers 1 iron bar -> 1 bs hammer in inventory (no fire essence )

5 wood logs 3 gem sanding papers 1 iron bar -> 1 bs hammer in inventory (no fire essence )

5 wood logs would make the largest pickaxe handle anyone has seen. A bit excessive in my opinion. Why use gem sanding papers if there are no gems in the formula? You would need fire essence to mold the iron bar into the head of the pickaxe. Otherwise you would have an iron bar on the end of a stick.

Maybe something like this?

1 wood log

3 iron ore

3 fe's

5 wood logs would make the largest pickaxe handle anyone has seen. A bit excessive in my opinion. Why use gem sanding papers if there are no gems in the formula? You would need fire essence to mold the iron bar into the head of the pickaxe. Otherwise you would have an iron bar on the end of a stick.

Maybe something like this?

1 wood log

3 iron ore

3 fe's

Sand papers to give them a form u can just use the Log Raw like that :P)

Not saying if i like the idea or not, but wasn't there talk of a new skill once upon a time? I mean, "crafting" would become "jewelry", and there'd be a new skill called crafting. You could have wood handles produced as part of this new crafting - say, 1 log, 3 sanding papers? Need a different sander from gems, I'd think...

Then, say 2 iron bars, 3 FE, and a wooden handle = pickaxe. Though I do like the glass pickaxe idea a bit. :P

Better pickaxe (stronger, LIGHTER) would mean faster mining and less breakage...

One idea is the use of diamonds to 'tip' the axe heads, of course your diamonds can fall out :)

For logs as handles, use a knife to shape them down. sorted.

i know this is an old topic but the idea about the dynamite i think would be kewl, since we now have the

engineering skill. use it in pk areas to blow walls of ore out into a few bags of about 20-50 ore, also make the dynamite weigh like 50-100 emu each. not saying wut the ings or cost of it will be ill let some1 else come up with reasonable idea on it. also when u use it on a wall it will be like a landmine that causes damage to anyone 3 or 4 steps away, but i think this would be a nice addition to the eng skill and game.

just an idea :devlish:

this suggestion was original *read the first post* that you need different harvest items for different types of ore/gems

like different kinds of manuable pickaxes, hammer and chisel, acids, explosives

manuers: pickaxes, hammer

crafter: chisel

acids: potioner

explosives: alchemist

this was the original idea.

Now we got engineering, dung, saltpeter, etc!!

So in the (near) future it would be easier to implement this, if approved by the higher powers.

Maybe The_Piper had a vision in July 2006 :P and that it will happen in 2007 :P

I for one love the (original - first post) idea!

Garfield out

Edited by GarfieldClowntje