Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

Yes I know

Out of interest (probably Ent or Learner) is there a reason the server doesn't automatically save everyone's accounts say once an hour?

FYI this comes up a lot. every time there's a crash or rollback, and a few other times too. the reasons have been gone over a few times. search should find those threads

When the server crashes, you are rolled back to the last time you logged off.

Out of interest (probably Ent or Learner) is there a reason the server doesn't automatically save everyone's accounts say once an hour?

hmm..maybe automatic "save" is not so simple as it is to say...it should be done so that server disconnects everybody once in an hour and would sure get most pissed off much more. If characters are saved while server is up then there would be possibility of "lucky" trades for example. If you give your friend 1 millon gc and then his character is saved..server crashes..and because your character was not yet saved u still have million gc and so does your friend.

Save should be done exactly simultaneously for every character so maybe devs are not much interested about automatic "dummy" save..but lucky we it is possible manually...

Just my 5 cents..and your million..:devlish:

Guest Enyo

When the server crashes, you are rolled back to the last time you logged off.

Piper

Thats not always true...sometimes you are even rolledback prior to a last save.

Personally I think it would be cool to have a random day called "groundhogs day" where there was a chance at the end of that day there would be a rollback to the beginning of the day.. <runs and hides in a cave before I'm tarred and feathered>. :(

Tarred and Feathered

hmm..maybe automatic "save" is not so simple as it is to say...it should be done so that server disconnects everybody once in an hour and would sure get most pissed off much more. If characters are saved while server is up then there would be possibility of "lucky" trades for example. If you give your friend 1 millon gc and then his character is saved..server crashes..and because your character was not yet saved u still have million gc and so does your friend.

Yeah, don't mind me. I wasn't thinking when I posted that... this scenario is rather obvious I didn't think it through at all.

Hello, first post, and i'm really sorry to post it for this reason, but, anyway, here it is:

i recognize that the crash could happen, and i'm grateful for the bonus exp day, and yet i know (well, i learned) that i had to save often, but...

Entropy said the 60% exp day will be made at noon (GMT-5) day, thats midday there, but it is also 5AM in Europe.

Yesterday i lost 14 hours of training because i didn't saved (don't blame me, it's my third day here, and i didn't saw written anywhere that you have to log out to save) and i'm not complaining, i learned it the hard way, but please, wouldn't be more fair for us europeans to make this special day at 6PM (GMT-5)?

That would make the day for US people more or less from 6PM to 12PM, while for us europeans it would be from 11PM to 5AM (which is the "timeline" that was affected more or less from the server crash yesterday).

I'm just proposing, and i would be very happy to see it done in this way, but still, if it's not i'll not complain, thanks for the game, it ain't bad at all :icon13:

Cheers, Tharzik

but please, wouldn't be more fair for us europeans to make this special day at 6PM (GMT-5)?

That would make the day for US people more or less from 6PM to 12PM, while for us europeans it would be from 11PM to 5AM (which is the "timeline" that was affected more or less from the server crash yesterday).

Oh well... midday GMT-5 is 4am for me, and I waited up for it too. I gave up at 6am and went to bed.

This is a worldwide game and thus you can't always have things suited to everyone.

Most of you most likely hate to log off just like me.

Just have another EL Console up, with your username and password already entered.

So logging off, and logging on is very quick.

Am I mistaken or was that second xp day only 1 hour long yesterday??

It came on at 5:11 gametime...so 49 minutes exactly.

Yes, we found the bug, is fixed, wil give a 60% more exp day.

has anyone 'experienced' this day yet..?

I mean..I did see the 49 minute-lasting day with, what was it, 1+ exp..but did anyone see the 60% exp day, in full lenght..?

Jez

has anyone 'experienced' this day yet..?

I mean..I did see the 49 minute-lasting day with, what was it, 1+ exp..but did anyone see the 60% exp day, in full lenght..?

The first 'day' (about 5 hours) was giving the normal +25% XP for each skill, but adding the correct +60% XP to OA. Unfortunatly, the second 'day' (49min) was at about 7am my time, and seeing I waited until 5am for it, am glad I didn't hang around so I can't report on the XP stats.

/edit: Made it smaller... and probably larger with this edit note... damn.

Edited by Torg

Again?

Looks that way - but i was lucky - my linux server restarted itself just 10 mins before (nothing in the logs growl)