Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Rabbitman

God Please save PK - Magic Only

Raistlin suggested splitting Wizzy's Pk suggestions thread into multiple thread's focusing on one important issue each. This thread is for discussing magic in pk only.

In summary of the comments from the previous thread:

Problem:

Magic is both op and up in depending on the situation.

Possible Solutions:

- Reduce harm damage formula

- Remove or adjust MI to have some formula of effectiveness with offensive and defensive magic levels/attributes/equipment

- Adjust MR to scale with defensive magic level/attributes/equipment

- Increase Magic resistance and protection effects (Warlock cape and similar items)

- Additional offensive and defensive spells with higher required magic level

- Give magic specific bonuses to specific items (like wizard hats)

Please post any relevant discussions and suggestions to improve magic in pk in this thread.

Rabbitman

Edit:

For MI, I think it would work better if it gave some % chance to not allow a spell through rather than immunity. I threw together a spreadsheet that calculates the % chance for a spell to bypass MI based on the caster and opponents stats. The calculation for the % from magic is: (Caster's Magic Lvl)/(Caster's Magic Lvl + Opponent's Magic Lvl), and the rationality effect is calculated the same. I also added a % resistance from opponent's magic resistance (armour) and the caster's "magic penetration" which would be a new #arm stat.

The calculations look something like this:

Good Mage build vs. Average/Meh pker

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0Aq1wDlthdzTrdE9BXzVRd1dyc0dacFJ3Q2NqanpOamc&gid=0

Average/Meh pker vs. Good Mage build

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0Aq1wDlthdzTrdE15T0RfSm9kTWZwSnRMbThaRnJaVnc&output=html

I would like to see a magic penetration stat added and a corresponding spell (req level 80-90) which gives an increased chance to bypass MR/MI.

Edited by Rabbitman

MI can be removed by wards so i think a spell should be added with a chance to do the same. I am the first person to admit i make the mistake of letting MI fall but more seasoned pk'ers hardly ever make that mistake. This renders mages virtualy useless in a fight unless they are high a/d.Even then their builds being high in reasoning lower in coord etc, some can't melee as well as fighters.

Definatly more aoe types of spells would make mages more useful. Damaging the other team or healing team members, maybe being able to cast a shield spell on a tank or even give a fighter a damage boost.

Tone down the harm and Give them boosts with items like capes, wizard hat etc.

Take away visiblity of wards without having wizard sight or some other spell up. Why should you know defense of opponent?

- Increase Remote healing spell.

- Add Mage gear (use different nexus for this)

- Add Mage perks, so fighters are not likely to take them at the cost of Fighter builds.

Edited by scarr

I also would LOVE to see Wands and Staves

They could do damage based upon Magic level.

And have different abilities aswel.

the effects shouldn't be laggy tho

Mages should be more of a support player. You wont die directly to the mage but his buffs/debuffs would be of great help/hate.

Buffs/Debuffs;

Attack/Defence/Attribute/HP/Mana Buffs

Attack/Defence/Attribute/HP/Mana Debuffs

Add a freeze spell or bind whatever you wanna call it (while being chased by someone you just freeze them so you can flee)

Greatly increase the Remote heal spell, maybe add a few AOE Heal/Harm Spell. (Ofc nothing OP'ed like dropping 8x 150dmg harms)

As scarr said, add Wands and Staves and Mage armors! (real ones)

not that i dislike how magic is working now, but it would be great if level would mean more than atributes or at least a lil more balanced, since lvl is much harder to get than atributes for mages... :)

What I want to say links with fighter solution.

We need "party" system that make team spells working correctly. We don't want to heal/buff enemies.

not that i dislike how magic is working now, but it would be great if level would mean more than atributes or at least a lil more balanced, since lvl is much harder to get than atributes for mages... :)

+1

Really would like to see a change in the formula how magic damage (harm/poison) and heal spells are calculated.

Taking the magic level more into account would be great.

+1

Really would like to see a change in the formula how magic damage (harm/poison) and heal spells are calculated.

But the problem is, if its being done that way, both fighters and "mages" will benefit from it, and i don't think thats good.

so we need some perks and nexus to use for mage gear and spells.

+1

But the problem is, if its being done that way, both fighters and "mages" will benefit from it, and i don't think thats good.

I agree, there are lot of fighters that will not take will. Will , rationality helps define the mage.

Some perks and magic nexus for equipment would be a good way to look at this

+1

I agree, there are lot of fighters that will not take will. Will , rationality helps define the mage.

Some perks and magic nexus for equipment would be a good way to look at this

Yep, and this way people will still be able to do everything like it is now, but at the cost of pickpoints

Just a quick note: Please consider player vs monster while considering player vs player. Adjustments for pk aspects of magic may affect monster fighting as well.

Barely, people don't harm mobs lots (well if they do, it's very inefficient anyway)

I agree, the only monsters worth harming, have extreme magic resistance

Barely, people don't harm mobs lots (well if they do, it's very inefficient anyway)

You say this because of the cost of the essences, right?

Well, I think magic is always going to cost more than having a great toughness+accuracy+dexterity build. When you don't have such a build, magic becomes a bit more valuable. There are some that don't have that build and so magic is more efficient for them.

Tweek the ess used to do magic spells would be great maybe make it alittle bit cheaper and have to carry less while pking

Seems there is a magic nexus already in game this could be used for casting magic spells with a different added nexus used for the mage gear. This would cause both mages/fighters to invest in magic nexus's and another nexus to equip there gear. Fighters being human nexus and mages what ever nexus was added to game maybe a (mage nexus).

Seems there is a magic nexus already in game this could be used for casting magic spells with a different added nexus used for the mage gear. This would cause both mages/fighters to invest in magic nexus's and another nexus to equip there gear. Fighters being human nexus and mages what ever nexus was added to game maybe a (mage nexus).

i made a topic a month ago or so with this exactly idea, i think it is perfect.