Eternal Lands Official Forums
Roja

Post Your Mature Ideas About The Harvesting

omg roja you are the best !!!!!!!

that would be the perfect solution...you actually read all these posts !!! :D:):D

ent, plz listen to that wise woman at your side ! :)

Hmmmm I bet he will listen to her about as soon as you listen to me <_<

omg roja you are the best !!!!!!!

that would be the perfect solution...you actually read all these posts !!!  :D  :)  :D

ent, plz listen to that wise woman at your side ! :)

Hmmmm I bet he will listen to her about as soon as you listen to me <_<

whistles innocently and looks at the very interesting roof structure...

Random questions are rubbish.

Just teleport ppl some steps away from the ressource from time to time and all macroers are gone.

Piper

Random questions are rubbish.

Just teleport ppl some steps away from the ressource from time to time and all macroers are gone.

Piper

piper don't be snapped....look at the bright side, you won't die 4 times in a row anymore in the tit mines, and neither lose all your capes :D

roflmao...well, i may have a plan and if it's ok i'll post it here in a littl ebit :D

ohhh...can't wait to hear it ! :D

(now i'll stop spamming this thread, plz don't be mad at me dear mods :) )

Guest strata

The only decent aspect of these harvesting "improvements" is having pickaxes break, the rest are just annoyances that suck the enjoyment from the game.

Players who only want to manufacture items should not be punished by killing their characters or sending them into areas that they didn't (or wouldn't) choose to go on their own. The point of a RPG is that the player has control over the character's actions, deciding where to go and what to do. Teleporting now takes that control away from the player, so the game resembles an interactive movie more than a game.

Instead of toying with the characters, modify the resource distribution so that players are required to move.

Minerals, Ores: Separate the clustered resources into individual pockets that can spawn anywhere in the caves (instead of one area with six sulfur pockets, for example, there will be six pockets scattered throughout the cave). Each pocket has a limited number of resources that can be harvested from it. Once the pocket is completely harvested, it disappears and respawns elsewhere in the cave. The player now has to search the cave for another pocket. Any resource can spawn at each location, so what was a sulfur pocket can become an iron ore pocket.

Flowers, Fruits, Vegetables: As with the minerals and ores, each plant spawns with a limited number of resources. Once all the resources are picked, the plant disappears, but will regrow after a set time. For flowers, this will mean having to go to a different flower patch (or wait around for it to regrow). For vegetables and fruit, it would usually only require shifting position within the same patch.

This approach is more reasonable than random acts of a bipolar mother nature, and it does not benefit (or tempt others to become) bag stealers. Also, control of a character remains with the player.

Afterthought: If someone is not paying attention and continues to harvest a location after the resource is gone, then collapsing of the cave or other detrimental effect can be an appropriate response.

After-afterthough: *waits for Roja's plan*

Maybe make the random questions choose B automatically if you don't respond quick enough :D that way they can have alot of fun "Macroing" the sand in tarajhi desert :)

The only decent aspect of these harvesting "improvements" is having pickaxes break, the rest are just annoyances that suck the enjoyment from the game.

Players who only want to manufacture items should not be punished by killing their characters or sending them into areas that they didn't (or wouldn't) choose to go on their own. The point of a RPG is that the player has control over the character's actions, deciding where to go and what to do. Teleporting now takes that control away from the player, so the game resembles an interactive movie more than a game.

Instead of toying with the characters, modify the resource distribution so that players are required to move.

Minerals, Ores: Separate the clustered resources into individual pockets that can spawn anywhere in the caves (instead of one area with six sulfur pockets, for example, there will be six pockets scattered throughout the cave). Each pocket has a limited number of resources that can be harvested from it. Once the pocket is completely harvested, it disappears and respawns elsewhere in the cave. The player now has to search the cave for another pocket. Any resource can spawn at each location, so what was a sulfur pocket can become an iron ore pocket.

Flowers, Fruits, Vegetables: As with the minerals and ores, each plant spawns with a limited number of resources. Once all the resources are picked, the plant disappears, but will regrow after a set time. For flowers, this will mean having to go to a different flower patch (or wait around for it to regrow). For vegetables and fruit, it would usually only require shifting position within the same patch.

This approach is more reasonable than random acts of a bipolar mother nature, and it does not benefit (or tempt others to become) bag stealers. Also, control of a character remains with the player.

Afterthought: If someone is not paying attention and continues to harvest a location after the resource is gone, then collapsing of the cave or other detrimental effect can be an appropriate response.

After-afterthough: *waits for Roja's plan*

now that system thay would do actual good and make harvesting fun.

well it would have to be a dialog similar to how the npc dialog works, the client only grabs the data sendt to it and displays it and send back what was selected.

and maybe have the questions rotate where the right answer is so that you cant just send b all the time :D

hmm, one would allso have to rotate the questions so that one cant build scripts that figure out what question it is and sends back the right answer...

the only surefire way for questions ot work was if the questions was embeded in the client and the client only sendt right or wrong to the server (server tells the client what question to ask, client then sends back if the answer was right or wrong). problem is that this only works in a closed source enviroment. one can allso create a proxy that basicly stops the package from the client and sends back right to the server all the time :)

for every attempt to secure something some hole shows up...

QUOTE (roja)

Things I think we should keep:

1.pickaxe breaking

2.some small good things(few gold coins or other common items), and also some SMALL health point damage is ok. Possibly even have a VERY RARE item to be found that you can only get while harvesting.

Things I think we should get rid of:

1.teleporting

2.dying

3.any big amounts of damage(which obviously result in the above)

Great ideas Roja!!! and the question thing is just splendid :D

/Derin

Ok..

the random spawn for the ores is great..not so great for flowers since they are placed for aesthetic reasons(and we cnanot remove all flowers from the maps)

With the ores they would only be able to spawn on the floor of the cave..nt in walls since that is, next to impossible unless we have "spawn spots".

For the ores though, their spawn can be TIME based. they spawn in x,y and stay there for 1-30minutes(a random value between there). I suggest time because i think time would be easier to code..but i really dont know about that.

So if we did the random ore spawn we'd still have to use questions for the flowers..the flowers just can't move.

Can I please get a programmers opinion on the random question/randome ore spawns? If we can get these things done, if someone will program them and do it and make it work and people are happy, entropy can't refuse(and that is my plan :D

Would it be more secure if a window popped up with some gibberish like RT23FKZ and then a,b,c,d choices -- where only 1 of them is the same as the gibberish?

What I am getting at is maybe the server can spout out some random numbers and letters, then create 'answers'.

If that is possible to do in this game, then wouldn't it be so random that a script can't be built?

I know it's not exactly rpg, but...

yeah that's an idea ravenod..i'd rather do the more into the game questions though if possible..

Another question for the programmers: The random question's answer would be just one of the 3 answers..not always the same letter answer. Is it still possible for people to cheat by knowing the text of the answer somehow? So will this idea work at all is what i need to know.

Another question for the programmers: The random question's answer would be just one of the 3 answers..not always the same letter answer. Is it still possible for people to cheat by knowing the text of the answer somehow? So will this idea work at all is what i need to know.

Having questions that needs to be answered is a good way of getting rid of afk macroers. But of course, it doesn't get rid of non-afk macroers, or people who make the client transfer server messages to i.e. an instant messenger program (there aren't many programmers out there with these skills and the will to use them the wrong way).

No, a computer cannot comprehend the english text (especially not with Ent's typo's :D) and choose the right answer. It can only guess. The chance of getting the right answer is 1/answer.

However - once they know all the questions and answers, we'll be back at where we were before, sadly.

As for questions, there a great idea, and randomizing the positioning of the right and wrong answers is an excellent solution.

As for changing spawn points, im not one of the programmers (but i am a programmer :D ), so i wouldn't be quite sure, but my instinct is to say that it isnt possible. Arn't the ore points permanent because they are part of the maps? Or does the server set the positioning (in which case, its not too difficult to implement).

No, a computer cannot comprehend the english text (especially not with Ent's typo's :D) and choose the right answer. It can only guess. The chance of getting the right answer is 1/answer.

However - once they know all the questions and answers, we'll be back at where we were before, sadly.

The question thingie it is a good way get rid of 50 to 80% of macroers in the first stages. The questions can be coded outside server ( i.e. a text file with questions / answer ) and periodically changed. Also this will be the first step for taking outside server the NPC and coded as separate programs that connect to server. If this step will be taken we can have soon moving NPC's , true random animal spawnpoints and more ... And more code can be written by programmers that don't have the server code .

IMHO it will be a good ideea .

Not quite the place for this post ... maybe i should hgave posted on programming but ... anyway .

Guest strata

I wasn't suggesting that the flower spawn locations be randomized - the flowers would stay in their current location. When they have been fully harvested, the plant would disappear but after time would regrow in the same location.

If making the flowers disappear is not aesthetically acceptable, perhaps a message ("you can not find any flowers to harvest") is given until the plant replenishes its supply. Of course in this situation the player will not know by appearance whether a flower can be harvested.

Placing a time limit on ore spawns works as well. However, I would still spread out the locations so that the same type of ore isn't all in one or two spots.

The questions can be coded outside server ( i.e. a text file with questions / answer ) and periodically changed. Also this will be the first step for taking outside server the NPC and coded as separate programs that connect to server. If this step will be taken we can have soon moving NPC's , true random animal spawnpoints and more ... And more code can be written by programmers that don't have the server code .

IMHO it will be a good ideea .

Not quite the place for this post ... maybe i should hgave posted on programming but ... anyway .

Wouldnt that make it easier for macroers to choose questions, as they know EXACTLY what the answers are etc....If they are server-side, they a have no real way of knowing which is the right and which is the wrong answer.

As for for NPC text being set as seperate programs, im not quite sure i get what you mean...Seperate programs that connect to the server, providing the text, or programs that 'emulate' the npc as a player character?

Now I'm working on some gui widgets, after that I'm going to define an xml format for the windows. With the xml format it will be easy for the server to create windows on the client. These windows could say things like: Put that progress bar to 31% and click on the big green button. This will be much harder to predict than easy questions that macroers could automatically answer.

Now I'm working on some gui widgets, after that I'm going to define an xml format for the windows. With the xml format it will be easy for the server to create windows on the client. These windows could say things like: Put that progress bar to 31% and click on the big green button. This will be much harder to predict than easy questions that macroers could automatically answer.

Or you could display images etc.

Add the programming ideeas on Suggestions on Development . But pls try to keep only programming suggestions . This way will be easier for developers to browse though them .

Im sorry but i am about 99% sure that questions will do no good in the long run. it will probably create a solution for maybe a month or 2 till some programmer goes and dl's the source to the game and creates his auto-answerer. You would be surprised at how accurate those things are.

Im working on thinking up ideas but im more focus'd on the economy at current time.

Since I'm not a programmer, I didn't want to post this under the new programmer's topic.

I just thought. how about at any and every cave entrance (this wouldn't solve flower macroing) when you click on the archway, a picture appears of a dial.

All around the dial are numbers and or letters with little tick boxes next to them.

ON the dial is a word or phrase or gibberish or question

(Ex: What monster lives in the gold mines in VotD?)

You would click G then O then B then L then I then N.

Then the cave entrance would "open" and you could go in.

Maybe every day or every week Entropy and Roja could think of new questions and add them or replace them into the rotation.

Protects from scripts going in mines, and adds a nice rpg element.