Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Stronze

EL on the move

Since I'm waiting for EL to run smooth on a tablet before I buy one, I had a thought since I'm sitting here on a roof for the last 2 Hours waiting.

Would it be possible to have a virtual client hosted some where on a cloud system and use a interface app to connect that system and run EL client?

Found a remote desktop app for andriod tablet/smartphone to window/mac computers but cost 10 bucks.

still searching around tho.

My limitations are is my smart phone is also my internet hub for my laptop

Well, smooth running of EL is mostly a matter of your graphics system, bandwidth is rarely a problem: EL uses short messages for communication,

all the graphics data are with the client, and rendering is done by the client, (lag is something else, and is not directly related to bandwidth).

So if you have to connect to the internet via a 3G or something like that, your laptop is probably better than any tablet.

And using a remote system to do the rendering will increase your required bandwidth a lot (as in: a few 10s-100s bytes per second

for server communication vs 25+ screens per second, and at 800x600, a screen is >1Mb...)

A cloud system will be communicating with EL servers and mobile device be communicating with cloud system. I'm not looking for top preformance. Just a way to harv or mix on the go.

I'm tired of being anchored down to my laptop. Its huge, heavy, runs hot and falling apart from taking it across the world.

Tablets are the future in my opinion and laptops will become extinct.

Laptop was designed to be a computer system on the move.

Tablets are better designed for on the move.

I use team viewer - it's bandwidth heavy - and a tad slow - buut you can remotely eat / chat - not recommended for fighting tho :)

Team view is not option for since it requires the client based system to be on the internet. Laptop is at thbe house. Internet is in my hands atm.

If I can get a cloud based EL client going the my smartphone will be the internet and a tablet connected to smart phone's wifi hotspot.

I'm not the only EL player usng smart phone for a wifi internet and this option will give the rest of EL players the ability to play EL on the move.

I still fail to realize why people buy tablets. All you can do with them is browse the net and watch movies. Especially thx to touchscreens that have so little pointing accuracy and such clumsy operating systems.

Just buy a win7 netbook instead. Even the cheapest ones can run el, and you will easily be able to do more than just chat and harvest.

And imo, netbooks are as mobile as you need a computer to be.

Helko - people buy tablets to have the abilities of a smartphone/ipod and laptop together. I'm not a fan, but a tablet version of EL would certainly be interesting ;)

I assume that if the game is playable on the iPad that it will work on my IPhone as well... And I don't have an iPhone because I think it's as good as a comp, I have my iPhone because the apps available with iPhone allows me to do my RL work and run my RL life better... Also I assume that and so should you that when someone is on the move that, unlike you getting up from your bed in your mothers basement to "move" to your mothers computer, they are waiting for there flight or on a break at work or hideing in the bathroom at a boring in-laws birthday party where pulling out a laptop is not as fast or easy as pulling out there phone or a tablet.

Anyway, that's my thought on your pointless post on a thread that by your own admission you shoud not be on... Ty for the not help in furthering the games evolvement, but my i suggest that you take your "help" to the rag fest on the unofficial forums

Kktyttyl

You may notice we are shifting to OpenGL 2.1 with the features restricted to those in OpenGL ES. SDL, which EL uses for rendering and such, is getting an upgrade too. We might actually have ipad, iphone and android native clients by the end of the year if things go well enough. I do not mean remote apps either, I mean the rendering and the entire game client would be on the portable device.

I assume that if the game is playable on the iPad that it will work on my IPhone as well... And I don't have an iPhone because I think it's as good as a comp, I have my iPhone because the apps available with iPhone allows me to do my RL work and run my RL life better... Also I assume that and so should you that when someone is on the move that, unlike you getting up from your bed in your mothers basement to "move" to your mothers computer, they are waiting for there flight or on a break at work or hideing in the bathroom at a boring in-laws birthday party where pulling out a laptop is not as fast or easy as pulling out there phone or a tablet.

Anyway, that's my thought on your pointless post on a thread that by your own admission you shoud not be on... Ty for the not help in furthering the games evolvement, but my i suggest that you take your "help" to the rag fest on the unofficial forums

Kktyttyl

This.... this is so well put :D perfect explanation

Yeah yeah... I would love it to work on everything... It just so happenes that I have an iPhone and if I had the money to get something els I would be able to buy a comp but sense I don't right now I'm just wishing it would work on what I do have :)

Alot of people have Apple products, would be nice to try. Sadly, even if it gets on iOS, i doubt it run on my lil iPod 3rd Gen :(