Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
roman_gruber

scammer donunator

#GM from donunator: ne one have an mm cape i could borro for two minutes? i must go to gp and i died twice now

Well our guild got scammed from that guy and another guild too.

Always the same, someone joins the guild, and someone borrows something and hopes to get it back and doesnt gets it back

Its just for information, to those guys who care. I wont put chat logs, we arent the first victims and honestly we dont care for mm capes.

FYI ... roman_gruber

Or if you do recruit them, don't be in a hurry to give them stuff worth something.

#GM from donunator: ne one have an mm cape i could borro for two minutes? i must go to gp and i died twice now

Well our guild got scammed from that guy and another guild too.

Always the same, someone joins the guild, and someone borrows something and hopes to get it back and doesnt gets it back

Its just for information, to those guys who care. I wont put chat logs, we arent the first victims and honestly we dont care for mm capes.

FYI ... roman_gruber

Thanks Roman for letting us know and sorry i didn't see this post earlier. TKN has bot banned Donunantor and placed him on the 'Beware List' with recommendation that our members and allies have no dealings with him. Commiserations to the poor guy in your guild that got ripped off.

On a general note, its disappointing but I guess inevitable that this kind of thing happens from time to time. The worst aspect (at least imho) is that the players who usually fall victim are those who are kind enough to take the chance to help others. Good guild members are like gold dust and the most important element of a guild, hence, its important to try and protect them (in particular) as far as you can. Its no easy task, but one way (I sure many other guilds do this) is to use guild funds to build a store of items that members can borrow. This not only protects individual members from the risk of being ripped off, but makes it more convenient for everyone. It also has the advantage of allowing everyone in the guild to use more of their gc, rather than having it locked up in items (such as mm capes, alembics, molds etc) that they may only need once in a while.

Yes, there's still a risk that ppl can steal items, but the effect (at least when spread over a large guild) is far less than if the loss affected a single member. However, there are some basic precautions that can be taken when recruiting new ppl :

* Don't give someone unrestricted access to the guild sto until they've been in the guild a while and you've got to know them a little.

* Observe and take account of behavior. Scammers are typically selfish and disinclined to be team players. Usually they can't be bothered to join or post to Guild Forums, participate in guild events or help others. Be very suspicious of anyone who begs or is overly demanding of others time, effort and patience. Scammers tend to lack patience. Almost invariably, they will jump at the first opportunity that presents itself, so test out new ppl's trustworthiness with items of small value.

* Sounds obvious, but check the disputes forum to see if they have 'form' for bad behavior.

* Check ppl's levels. If they are guildless with an oa of greater than say 30, its usually for a reason, ie either they prefer to stay guildless, or because no one wants them in their guild.

* Avoid ppl with privacy turned on. Either its because they want their privacy respected, or because they have something to hide.

* If the char is a noob, check their pp allocation. Its usually a good indicator as to whether they're an alt of someone more experienced. Although alts can (and often do) make very good guild members, it pays to ask the player to get its main char to confirm identity.

* Avoid, avoid, avoid anyone who actually approaches you with a request to join your guild and who you don't know well.

* Pay attention to the char name. Its often a good indicator to someone's nature and experience

Apologies for the text wall, Hopefully there's something of use in there for ppl that might make life a little more difficult for the donunators of this world.

Edited by themuntdregger

Thanx for the warning and sorry for your loss.

@themuntdregger: That is some real good advice you gave there!

ted access to the guild sto until they've been in the guild a while and you've got to know them a little.

* Observe and take account of behavior. Scammers are typically selfish and disinclined to be team players. Usually they can't be bothered to join or post to Guild Forums, participate in guild events or help others. Be very suspicious of anyone who begs or is overly demanding of others time, effort and patience. Scammers tend to lack patience. Almost invariably, they will jump at the first opportunity that presents itself, so test out new ppl's trustworthiness with items of small value.

* Check ppl's levels. If they are guildless with an oa of greater than say 30, its usually for a reason, ie either they prefer to stay guildless, or because no one wants them in their guild.

* Avoid ppl with privacy turned on. Either its because they want their privacy respected, or because they have something to hide.

* If the char is a noob, check their pp allocation. Its usually a good indicator as to whether they're an alt of someone more experienced. Although alts can (and often do) make very good guild members, it pays to ask the player to get its main char to confirm identity.

* Avoid, avoid, avoid anyone who actually approaches you with a request to join your guild and who you don't know well.

* Pay attention to the char name. Its often a good indicator to someone's nature and experience

I lol'd at all these points, good advice themunt!

Well Today a minute ago I was at VOTD storage.

I saw donunator, what a surprive, with RAID tag and kamazorn (sorta guildmaster or responsible guy for guild RAID). As long someone is a member of a guild, the guild is responsible for him and his actions.

Well I like kamazorn i started to point out that i want my cape back. That donunator logged off, and kamazorn refunded me.

Well basic point: kamazorn said that donunator made a mistake. I did a bit too much and warned him about donunator, for myself the story is over.

I really hope that kamazorn won`t learn it the hard way, but its out of my power to influence or do anything. I just can watch and see what happens next.

WEll summary: i let donunator in guild, my guildy lend mm cape, i gave my mm cape to the guildy, and now i got a bit of money for the mm cape which i gave my guildy. Not full refunded but our guild learnt a bit on that story.

Edited by roman_gruber

Sorry to hear about your lose roman_gruber. :/

Basically scammers are children or immature players who cbf to do a hard days work to earn some gc, then buy themselves one. And TMD basically said it all there, so kudos to you.

-- Ki11a

Thanks for the warning roman :icon13:

Sadly it will happen from time to time, a new player/guildie will take advantage of others & their good nature

but lets not try and paint all newbies with the same brush, there are some good ones out there.

Perhaps when a new player/guildie asks to borrow an MM cape or what ever, maybe a guildie or two could spare a few minutes & go with that person to protect them, rather than handing over such items..their response to that offer is normally a good indication as to whether their intentions are genuine or not ;)

I used to hand out tons of free stuff. I stopped for some reasons.

I only trust my old friends from a long long time ago, mostly dont play anymore.

I learnt not the value of things count, only the idea. So I give away really hardly (I had my reason to change myself) some goodies like unicorn meds.

The community changed me and I learnt to be suspicious and not reckless.

Hmm, see you in game guys .)

If someone asks to borrow stuff, demand collateral of equal or greater value. Even if the person is highly trusted, they may accidentally break/lose the stuff and not be able to replace it in a reasonable amount of time.

If someone wants to borrow an MM cape, suggest invisibility potions and antidotes instead. much cheaper.

By the way, I found this post because one of my guildmates was offered 10k to become a rank 19 in donunator's guild and run his shop there. I heard the story and thought "WTF????" and looked on forums.

Thank you, roman_gruber for proving my point for me.