Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
littlebro2

Defuse mines

Was thinking today that it would be excellent if there was a way to defuse a mine.

For example, I'd like to be able to have some sort of "bomb defusing kit" item in my inventory as I enter a map where there might exist a bomb at the entrance. This way if I enter the map stepping upon one, the bomb is defused and the item is removed from my inventory (maybe put up a message "1 small mine defused!"

There could also be different levels of this item. For instance, a large landmine would require a "level-3 kit" for complete successful defusing (no damage is taken by the player). If a level-2 kit was used on a large landmine, it would decrease the damage of the large down to a small, with damage still being taken by player. However, If a large is used on a small land mine, it of course will defuse it completely with no damage being taken etc.

I am sure there would need to be additional thinking around implementing this type of item, but this is the general idea. Other obvious details could be about how heavy the item is, whether its stackable, whether it only works for mines, or also for caltrops, and wards.

But if a player could have multiple in inventory, they could potentially walk across and defuse several mines as they step. Each step would use up the kit item.

It might make having the one perk more interesting as well, whereas now, I don't ever see myself taking it. The defuse item would only be used up if the player is in PK or the one perk is enabled for the player.

I guess another idea would be a spell to detect them (which radu mentions in the link below), but that wouldn't help you in this entering a map example.

The notion of defusing a mine has been mentioned a long time ago and here's one spot:

http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=19277&st=0&p=210511&hl=defuse&fromsearch=1entry210511

Just some thoughts. I love this game.

Edited by littlebro2

I think defusing and keeping mines would be great with of course on a failure mine goes off and you take damage, maybe more than normal. Having a spell to detect mines would be great and could replace the almost never used except by accident Bones to Gold spell.

However regarding the linked thread nothing many things which were to be implemented never were so I would not base too much requests on it.

I am not as interested in being able to keep the defused bomb as I am in just disabling it so it doesn't blow up. But I am OK with the idea of the defusing item/tool having a % of chance to fail.

Love the idea, I would definitely use this :)

I like the idea and the ability to diffuse being linked to your engineering level and/or level of kit you have in your inventory.

Might encourage a few more to do engineering.

-- Zoot

I totally agree on it. The other day was Peace Day and wanted to go and harv some hydro but couldnt due to the bombs in the pk map. Dont wanna bitch about it but its Peace day and shouldnt die due to bombs or any other meanings.

So yeah this could be the answer to it ! :icon13:

I totally agree on it. The other day was Peace Day and wanted to go and harv some hydro but couldnt due to the bombs in the pk map.

Could you not just bring some summoning components and just summon rats until rats set off bombs? I know it would be 4 less flowers but if you are a hydro harvester you should be prepared for mines.

Based on your eng level, you have a chance to fail and the mine still damage you.

How does this counteract wards?

No idea on wards or why a kit should deactivate wards. Spell would be better method.

hi - what do you think about a perk that could be an award for a future eng tutorial:

it will give you a certain percentage chance to deactivate mines. Perhaps with a chance which will be counted out by the "activator's" and the "deactivator's" engineering level?

I'm not into mines, but I'm getting two thoughts here:

1. There already IS a way to make them explode which i won't mention here

2. Mines are pretty expensive in the making. When you are intending to make them weaker, their cost should also be reduced.

Most likely, the prices for this would be higher than people would like and most would just bring summoning stones or summoning ingreds with them.

If you have high enough of a level to see the bomb, you could step on a different game tile. If you can't see the bomb, you should probably fail at trying to defuse it.

bombing works in different way... not just placing mine and hoping some1 will step on, and 1 more after it and .....

Actually, when I implemented the mines I added a variable called engineering_to_disarm.

I never used that because I figured out the mines are usually not a problem, so why bother?

Why do you think people would want to defuse mines?

Well, like I said in my first post, I think it boils down to a good use when worried about entering a map that might have a bomb at the entrance. Currently, one of the engineering daily quests has a use for this. "Peace day" becomes a little more peaceful for hydro-runners as well.

I have died because of bombs sitting in the entrance in both of these cases. The way it is now, I have no way to prevent stepping on at least one bomb.

And secondly, I would consider taking the One perk because I have a way to protect myself even though it may be expensive.

Similar to the way the "Heaven Spawner" medallion works, the defuser item is used up when stepping on a bomb. If a player could have several in inventory, they could potentially step on a bunch of mines and after seeing the message in red "1 <size> mine defused!" appear several times (item is removed for each step), hopefully the player would get the idea that someone was trying to kill them and they'd better turn around quick. :)

The examples of triggering a mine using summoned creatures doesn't completely work for entering a map and its not really practical for players with One perk (as summons follow behind, they don't really clear the way..)

I am sure there are other ideas about why it might be useful, but these were the ones I came up with.

Edited by littlebro2

It may be good to have an item that protects against bombs, like the point defense protects against arrows.

But in turn bombs need to be made cheaper, too, for example by reducing the cost of nails, e.g. 1 iron bar giving 20 nails, instead of 2 iron bars giving 1 nail.

It may be good to have an item that protects against bombs, like the point defense protects against arrows.

But in turn bombs need to be made cheaper, too, for example by reducing the cost of nails, e.g. 1 iron bar giving 20 nails, instead of 2 iron bars giving 1 nail.

Bomb squad shield - 100 emu - subtracts 50% of damage from explosives and gives powerhungry perk when in inventory.

:laugh:

Bomb squad shield - 100 emu - subtracts 50% of damage from explosives and gives powerhungry perk when in inventory.

:laugh:

Or .. 1 EMU, but single use :)

on one hand, One perk seems useless, but on the other - it's rare, so I hear some people take it in hope noone will know (as I heard - only until they are discovered and bombed). mine defusing / shielding is an interesting idea :)

my thoughts:

- defusing shouldn't be dependant on engineering lvl (or only a little) I don't have to know how to make a bomb to defuse it! (and I don't have high engi lvl :P)

- defusing kits: basic (single use), advanced (chance not to disappear), pr0 (gives better defuse exp). and defusing would be like muling - get lvls (and increase chance) as you use them

- there could be also a shielding stone (carried in case bomb goes boom anyway), maybe created by high lvl spell (lots of essences) and turning some a shield or helmet into a magic stone - should be very expensive (or obtained in other way), so that ppl can still get hurt by mines, and not carry 10 stones everywhere

also, it would be nice to be able to turn off 'mine range' messages, regardless if defusing is implemented or not: I don't go pk + I don't have One perk = I don't care about mines

Edited by malameo

Considering how long the mines last, detecting mines is definitely more important then defusing them. With the current setup, you just wait for the mine to vanish. Knowing where mines are is much more important then being able to defuse them, patience does that.