Eternal Lands Official Forums

The chat system is one of the best features in EL!

I search a bit but nobody has made a topic about it in a while so I am going to do that.

You all know this, you are in PM with some player and another player pm's you suddenly. You loose the flow because "//" doesnt work anymore and you have to type out the full name of the player to continue. So you can guess what I'm going to suggest. How about you type 3xSlash "///" to autoselect the 2. player again. I think this would work very good because it is an extension to what we already have. It doesn't need much re-learning from the player-side. You can easy have a 2 way pm-communication.

For all who didn't know this feature before and happen to read across this post - you can type a letter and hit ctrl+space to complete commands or player names from your boddy list or chatlog.

The second thing which I'm going to suggest has to do with the channel system. I have already spoken with some ppl to see if they like the idea. Some like it others say it would confuse them. Ok, you know that we can only have 3 channels open. You also know that there is a way to send messages into a not active channel by using "@@number" . Now my problem is that you have to type out the whole number.. If you use a number that has 6 (or more) digits it would take you very long ! For those who use only channel numbers from 1 -9 that should not be a problem, just for me :P

So how about if you can also type the first 2 digits after @ to make a selection. Under 3 channels it is unlikely that 2 of them have similar digits at the beginning. So that would be another shortcut.

Tell me if you like it or if you see problems with the 2 ideas.

Solar.

Typing three slashes could be made to work as suggest but it would be a little odd as currently, the player name is immediately substituted after the second slash. As an alternative, what if the names of last few players you exchanged PMs with were added to the right-click context menu which is already available for the input window (currently has copy/paste)? Then you could simply right-click and select the player name. The list of your current channels could also be included in the context menu for similar quick selection. So, for example right-click then selecting "player" puts "/player " into the input window, right-click then selecting "Channel 123" puts "@@123 " into the window. The down side is that it requires a mouse-click to work.

Edited by bluap

I think they are okay ideas. Whether I would use them or not? Maybe, I don't know, I have my brain set up to type @@(number) for the main EL channels, and just @ for my "secret" channels, this also helps if you miss channel a lot...

No sorry, i don't like the idea with menu's like IM-programs. It has to be done simple and quick. And that only goes with the keyboard.

I agree that not having to reach for the mouse would be preferred.

ctrl+up currently goes through previous sent messages, what about shift+up or alt+up bringing up previous people who PM'd you in a similar fashion?

So for example if i received a PM from SolarStar, then one from bluap, then one from Lexi, pressing shift+up once would bring up "/Lexi ", pressing it again would bring up "/bluap " and pressing again would bring up "/SolarStar ".

Edited by Korrode

No sorry, i don't like the idea with menu's like IM-programs. It has to be done simple and quick. And that only goes with the keyboard.

crtl+up arrow brings back all the pm's you just sent them. erase the body message of one of them. i use ctrl+up arrow all the time.

maybe you can also use #aliases or user menus depending on what youre doing.

erase the body message of one of them.

Too much time.

I could type their name in less time than it would take me to either hold backspace or goto the mouse and highlight the contents.

Why not like this?

// brings up the name of the last PM'med player.

With the cursor keys, arrow up and down, you can scroll through the list of the last PM'med players until you found the one you want to PM.

Hitting ENTER switches back to normal input mode,the name of the actual choosen player stays, type your message now, hitting ESC clears the whole input line.

Sounds somehow easier for me.

Piper

aww but I like sending people the wrong PM althought its not good when someone is explaining thier bad situation and you accidently reply LMAO

Why not like this?

// brings up the name of the last PM'med player.

With the cursor keys, arrow up and down, you can scroll through the list of the last PM'med players until you found the one you want to PM.

Hitting ENTER switches back to normal input mode,the name of the actual choosen player stays, type your message now, hitting ESC clears the whole input line.

Sounds somehow easier for me.

Piper

I'd be as happy with this as i would be with my suggestion.

I like korrode's idea of shift or alt + up for recalling previous senders of PMs, and for channels with lots of numbers you can already bind an alias to them, so #1 replaces @@123456, for example.

:confused: I know how the #alias works, but how am I supposed to add the message? I just tried it once more.

#jc 8888

set channel 3 active.

#alias 8 @@8888

Alias 8 bound as '@@8888'

#8 test

[solarStar @ 8888]:

I know that it doesn't work because I've tried this with #IG messages before. Some guild-tags are complicated to write and I wanted to shorten it with an alias. example {FD} |BK| ~LE~ OZú!

#jc 8888

set channel 3 active.

#alias 8 @@8888

Alias 8 bound as '@@8888'

#8 test

[solarStar @ 8888]:

There are some better examples here: http://www.el-cel.com/info/command.php?Set=Text%20Commands#Text_Commands_-_Alias, but based on your example above, the proper way to do it would be:

#alias 8 @@8888 $0
#8 "test test"

results in:

[Ghrae @ 88888]: test test

Quotes aren't needed if it's just one word used as a parameter

to bring my own suggestion for the chat system is, i would love to be able to alias a channel by name, that would be avaiable for my client

For excample "#ac (aliaschannel) 12345676 mychat" would make that i can write @@instance text to get sure i write stuff to instance or make #jc mychat to get back in it

reason is i have 2 chat channels with friends that i have hard time to remember number if i leave it and have to others in it for the number, and i have sometimes to leave it due the 3 channel restrictions in game. Names especially if you can set them yourself for your own client are much more convinient for that sort of things