Eternal Lands Official Forums
Maxine

Making starting out a little easier (still)

When I start a new game I don't read a word (unless its a tip while the game is loading...) I just play and see what happens, when I need to know something ill look for it later.

Edit: I read only AFTER I find out I like a game.. and want to get better at it.

Making starting off easier would mean allowing newbies to play without reading :pickaxe: A nice bleepy thing on the map (and on the continent map) to point to where you should go would be real handy for me. Or, a little bit less drastic, a question mark above any NPC that has got NEW information for you.. Perhaps only when that npc has got something to do with a quest that you are working on.

Throw in some nice visual markers that cant be missed.

Edited by ProHibited

Or, a little bit less drastic, a question mark above any NPC that has got NEW information for you.. Perhaps only when that npc has got something to do with a quest that you are working on.

Throw in some nice visual markers that cant be missed.

OMG deja Vu :pickaxe:

When you are out driving to a new place, do you not read the street signs unless it has pretty pictures?

When you get an email, do not ignore text and hope for some HTML by a decent graphic artists?

Solar star, write up what you think would make a newbie understand how to find roses and sulfur and make FE's.

Then go read the write up in the ? window under alchemy skill.

What would be different?

Why would a player want to have to go back to IP to talk to Tutorial NPC every time he needs a reminder about these steps, rather than click on the ? wherever he is and have the information immediately available?

The rest of you:

Follow the other threads about this and make a newbie character and do the new Tutorials.

Almost everything said here already exists or has been discussed to death.

When you are out driving to a new place, do you not read the street signs unless it has pretty pictures?

When I'm driving to a new place do I use GPS.

When I start a new game do I ask other players.

It's why I play an online game.

I DO NEVER read anything.

It takes all the fun.

Then how can you reply to this thread? :pickaxe:

This is talking with other players or am I wrong ?

Well this is the only forum I read, always a lot of drama here :icon13:

Edited by Zamirah

I read that Alchemy thing now.. lol i never new it was so detailed and I play for so long. I wonder if a newbie would find that.

Ok. You are right, we should not ignore this little guide. I mean someone has put work into this. How about when reading the Tutorial this page opens so the new player can start reading it ?

Still it's a long list to go through, if you should first collect the ingredient to get some result or just get something " for free " (we talk about 20 ingr. for FE here) is debatable.

Still it's a long list to go through, if you should first collect the ingredient to get some result or just get something " for free " (we talk about 20 ingr. for FE here) is debatable.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."

Then how can you reply to this thread? :pickaxe:

This is talking with other players or am I wrong ?

Well this is the only forum I read, always a lot of drama here :icon13:

You still have to READ the exact same information from "another player" in a chat window that you would read in the encyclopedia or Tutorial NPC.

It sounds more like you want others to do the "hard" part and FIND the information FOR you.

You don't mind using the right tools from time to time (GPS when driving), but get stubborn at other times (Tutorial_NPC in game). If the gist of your argument is "I'm stubborn, make the game fit me" then I'm afraid you've come to the wrong place.

May the GPS help you find the game that fits your game play

I would like to make some suggestions to the Tutorial NPC;

First i think that the important explanation about how to do something in EL is too hidden!

I tried it myself and you have to nativate trough a jungle:

Tutorial NPC>Tutorials>Who are you?>Help>(here is the list with advice)

it's too hidden. make it easier to navigate.

Fairly early on the tutorial NPC explains about the use of the ? and the encyclopedia

What I also find important, is the map. The Tutorial NPC doesnt talk about the map.

When you open it that the X is your position. That you can move by clicking somewhere on the map. That you can make #mark Name to find a place easier in the future. How to open the radar. About the colors of the dots (names) on the radar (white, yellow, green, red, pink, and most importantly Blue).

You are totally wrong. The explanation given about the map has all this information and more, only thing missing (see my initial post) is how to open the mini-map.

He also uses server side markers (sorry, no sound effects) to show WHERE you need to go. Real easy navigation.

Also i would like to see simple instructions on how to mix the first FE. They could go to storage, take 20 roses, snaps and sulfur, find some bread on IP and mix it. They will understand how to mix something then. This is also interesting for a beginner because they will know what to look for .. sulfur roses and snaps.. if they want to make more. It takes i would say 2 or 3 days before a newbie can make their first FE.. imagine.. they need to find someone who sells leather gloves.. they need to find the harvest recources.. Now by that time someone can already loose interest. So IMO they should find a batch of 20 ingredients of FE in their storage.

You really need to do the new tutorial, you can even do it with your current char and obviously will still learn a lot.

With respect to mixing FE:

The tutorial NPC GIVES you 10 sulfur, snaps and roses. Tells you where to find the info how to make AND explains it himself.

Then asks you to make them and gives a boatload xp for that.

After that he tells you to harvest sufur AND gives you the gloves for that plus the needed instructions!

He also tells you where to find the alch quest: First item on the list, wow, FE again.

In the money-making part of the tutorial it tells you that fe making is good for earning gc and xp.

Also what confuses many beginners is that they dont know where their items went when they traded at storage. What happens is that it automaticly slips in the storage. And they think that someone cheated on them. So the Tutorial should also explain this.

New players dont usually trade at storage, but when they do, the person they trade with should explain where the items or gc went. I dont see as the responsibility of the Tutorial.

Also (good exampe: player : remo , or maybe not) some newbies play for a while and level skills like a/d + harvesting but have no clue what to do with their pickpoints. Then they have OA 10 and all attributes @ 4 . So the Tutorial NPC should also say that The Wraith is a very important figure in the game and they must talk to him.

Furthermore the tutorial requires you to spend a few pickpoints, so someone who has done it isnt at 4/4 anymore

He makes sure you have the cash to buy the sigils to start magic.

At the end of the newbie tutorial (a few hours at most) you not only have a full armor set, a weapon, leather gloves, the needed sigils for the heal spell and know where to find the daily quests and Novac, you also can have the following stats:

att lvl 16

def lvl 16

har lvl 15

alc lvl 8

mag lvl 10

pot lvl 0

sum lvl 6 (from wraith quest)

man lvl 8

oa 19/21

The quest is so easy to do my 9 year old has done it (not a true native english speaker either).

Why does nobody want to read the tutorial but still feels they can write an opinion about it here.

Do the tutorial quest and THEN tell how to improve it!!!!

Edited by Maxine

What I think is ready for improvement is the character creation screen. When you enter that, you see a character and some buttons in de left bottomcorner of the screen and that's it. There is a questionmark but that leads to the whole encyclopedia. The only way I could figure out what to do is press them and see what happens.

I would like to suggest a wizard like approach to the char creation screen:

Step1: Choose your name/password/gender

Step2: Customize your character

When the questionmark is pressed, just give information about how to create a char.

This is just my opnion.

I have to agree with Maxine, i created recently a new char, what was the first thing that i got, a pop up telling me to go to the tutorial and to do its quest, i did the tutorial quest, and i must say it is a big, big difference between doing it now, or about 1 year ago. After you did all the tutorial quests, you have a lot of knowledge about the game, it teaches you how to do alch, manufacture something, how to find quests (leads you to 5 of them), how to read (you need to read one book for him) tells you about the fast reading room (you need to go there) and so on. I found the tutorial very well done and really an experience that should give new player some fun for quite some time. and it does make sure that you will read the instructions. It also explains how to use the encyc.

It is my understanding from the server update logs that this was done around the Apr 30 2010 so far before this first post was made. So i just want to say gratz radu for a well done tutorial

I started playing not so long time ago and i must say that tutorial was great. But I miss one or two things, or maybe I had just a bad luck and couldn't find out about this earlier :P

Bots - thought these are players, just afk :P Later I didn't knew how to buy from them. Maybe Tradebot should inform you how to buy from him?

Channel 3 - lots of spam (bots), i was always mad when someone told me to try and sell something there, somehow i missed the #ignore_bots command :/ Can't it be set on by default? I mean who turns it off anyway...

Rraisa or pages like this - i was so happy when i found about this :D But again it was after like 1 or 2 weeks of playing, before i had such a problem selling/buying, i was just walking from bot to bot and reading their inv/wanted list...

I think there is no need adding exclamation mark about tutorial_npc, or anything like that, its easy to find his quest... you start game next to him and I realy have no idea how can you start playing game without reading a tutorial... anyone did it?

Since Bots are not part of the game, they are not hosted on the EL game server, you could not easily include them in the tutorial. Maybe a simple task like 'Find a bot (purple name) and trade with it and (immediately) come back to me' would be a feasible task. The action of trading with the bot should trigger a message from them giving some more information.

Anyone who is asking in ch 1 about selling/buying stuff and is sent to ch 3, should also get some info about rraisa, #ignore_bots and the 5-minute posting rule in that channel.

A short tutorial 'How do I buy/sell from a bot' is probably a handy thing to have on a website. Thanks for the idea :D

Nice input krlc \o/

Maxine

Edited by Maxine