Eternal Lands Official Forums
nathanstenzel

New command #list_mods

Currently, the only way to tell if a person is a moderator is if they send you a message in mod message mode or if you look them up on the EL website or if they do something nobody but a mod can do....like teleport you to them.

There is no command in the game to tell you if a person is a moderator or not.

Some people have told me that if they tried to look at a webpage while playing EL, their computer would lock up or something like that. They can't check the webpage because of that.

We need a command in game like "#list_mods" which could tell us the online and offline moderators.

Perhaps the output could be in two parts and show the online moderators first or have the online mods be in a different color.

While I am sure this probably wouldn't help a newb too much, I am sure the website wouldn't help them much either. They simply would not know there is a list of moderators there.

nathanstenzel: I just posted a suggestion for such a command in the forums.

Raytray: #help_me should be enough?

nathanstenzel: Well, people often ask me if the person telling them what to do on a game channel is a mod or not.

Raytray: Would it really matter? Post an ad 23 times on 3 in two minutes and having fifteen non mods telling them off. They should listen regardless no?

nathanstenzel: Meanwhile, if you are rude to a mod on a channel after they tell you what to do, I imagine it may be quite likely for them to assume you know they are a mod.

nathanstenzel: And then ya could get slammed. ;)

Raytray: You shouldn't really be rude anyway. :P

nathanstenzel: That is true.

[PM from Gossip: wolfwitch was logged on as of a few minutes ago. ]

[PM from Gossip: I last saw wolfwitch about 1 hours ago, walking around. ]

[PM from Gossip: wolfwitch is a female draegoni. ]

[PM from Gossip: wolfwitch was in the *PR* guild as of 1 hours ago. ]

[PM from Gossip: You know, wolfwitch paid me well to keep my mouth shut on the stats! ]

[PM from Gossip: wolfwitch is a moderator! ]

Gossip, the drunkard bot which often gets so drunk, she logs off to sleep it off.

We can't rely on Gossip and EL should not really have to rely on 3rd party solutions for providing important information.

When gossip is "sleeping it off," then use the web site when in doubt. Learn the list. Love the list.

Again, should it matter if the person that's telling you off for something you shouldn't be doing is a mod or not?

Maybe to keep themselves some authority from such post. But I concur with you that being mod or not does not really matter much in advising people...

Raytray is right.

People should be more interested in what the rules are and following them, than worrying if mods are around to see them breaking them.

Players have just as much right to object to spam or other rule breaking as mods do. The difference is, mods can do something about it, "regular" players can't.

If somebody is not courteous and does not listen when asked to stop, #help_me will get you any online mod faster than any pm can do.

There is no need to be so constantly aware of who the mods are unless you are a troublemaker or a suckup. It's not like the information isn't available, either.

Raytray is right.

People should be more interested in what the rules are and following them, than worrying if mods are around to see them breaking them.

Players have just as much right to object to spam or other rule breaking as mods do. The difference is, mods can do something about it, "regular" players can't.

If somebody is not courteous and does not listen when asked to stop, #help_me will get you any online mod faster than any pm can do.

There is no need to be so constantly aware of who the mods are unless you are a troublemaker or a suckup. It's not like the information isn't available, either.

Valid points, but as I stated, some people can't browse the web and play EL at the same time because their computers are not good enough for that.

Raytray is right.

Valid points, but as I stated, some people can't browse the web and play EL at the same time because their computers are not good enough for that.

easily solvable:

before they log on EL next time, they go visit the EL website, look up the list of mods, print it out, or if they don't have a printer, they get pen and paper and write it down. doing that once every... 3 months or so should be more than enough.

Raytray is right.

easily solvable:

before they log on EL next time, they go visit the EL website, look up the list of mods, print it out, or if they don't have a printer, they get pen and paper and write it down. doing that once every... 3 months or so should be more than enough.

That sounds like alot of hassle.

Raytray is right.

easily solvable:

That sounds like alot of hassle.

if memorizing and typing #help_me is already too much hassle, then yes indeed it would be.

Yes, true, but whats your problem?

If someone tells you to do some BS, just ignore that person.

If that person is a mod, s/he will stop you by muting, teleporting, booting or send you a red PM.

If that doesnt happen, it's just an idiot you can ignore, or even report for trying to impersonate a mod.

So, why do you need a list of mods in game?

When you get a red PM from a person, you know that s/he is a mod.

And when someone else tells you to stop with spamming, insulting, discussing stuff, you might use common sense and just stop, no matter if mod or no mod.

*points again at common sense*

Piper

Judging by the responses so far, it seems people are actually opposed to this instead of just not thinking it is worth the effort to add the command.

I guess it just won't happen.

Raytray is right.

Thats exactly right!!!

but srsly, there aren't that many mods, and quite a few have been mods for a while. Its not that hard.

Judging by the responses so far, it seems people are actually opposed to this instead of just not thinking it is worth the effort to add the command.

I do not oppose this. Rather, I feel that the developer's time can be better spent implementing other, more beneficial things. I also feel that there is no real use for this command. Hence why this is not a good use of time or talent.

(1) Needing help with something from a mod? #help_me

(2) Needing to report a rule violation? #abuse

(3) Wondering if some person who's telling you that you're violating the rules is a moderator? It doesn't matter. If someone's telling you you're violating the rules, stop it. In fact, be happy if it's not a moderator in such cases, they're a fellow player doing something to keep you out of official trouble by telling you.

Questioning if the actions they say violate the rules and unsure it's a moderator who's telling you? #help_me Could a mod please verify if (your action) violates rule X?

If it's not a mod, you'll get an official mod response. If it is a mod, they'll be the one taking that #help_me request and can verify they're a mod.

Every single mod interaction you can think of can be dealt with via the use of #help_me and #abuse. A list encourages people to PM individual mods with issues rather than using those commands, something no mod wants.

I can imagine how much spam the mods would get with this command, ppl nagging about BJers and getting killed in PK maps and loads more things that aint breaking the rules but someone feels it should and starts the PMing..

I think the commands we have now is enough and if someone tells someone to stop breaking the rules it doesn't matter who it is that says it, you are breaking the rules and should stop doing it right away no matter who it is that says it.

I guess it would be nice to know if a player PMing you about your behavior is a mod first before you reply with "Go f**k yourself!"

Otherwise, I don't see a valid reason to add this. If you need help, you type #help_me and if a player PMing you about something thinks there is a problem that cannot be resolved between the two of you, they can type #abuse or #help_me as well.

I think some of the concerns nathan is raising are legitimate (although not being able to see a web page while on EL, nor wanting to write down a short list beforehand, nor wanting to ask Gossip or Gossip offline, nor wanting to use #abuse nor #help_me... looks like a non-existant situation to me).

But the solution is simple; if a mod tells you something on a channel, or on PM... treat that as you would treat a PM from any other player. PMs from mods are often a more friendly approach, and you should judge them by their contents (i.e, am I really violating a rule?), not from their source (i.e., is this guy a mod?).

For those cases when mods wants to make sure you are aware of their status, there are "Moderator PMs", those come in red, and prefixed with "[Mod PM from ...]", which is really all we need.

So, maybe the issue can be solved with full satisfaction and no development cost by having the mods using the harsher red PMs more often... although I still prefer the friendly tone first.

What is everyone afraid of? He only wonders if a simple command can be implemented that might be beneficial. If it can it can, if it can't it can't. I love the #list_guild command, especially when I have been gone awhile. Sure would be a pain in the ass if I had to ask Gossip if each and every single person was still in guild. #list_mods would be just as convenient. I understand if it takes a lot to implement no need to waste the time, but if not... then why not?

As far as people asking you to stop doing what you are doing, if you are breaking the rules, you know better. If it's simply someone who wishes to try to boss you around because they think it makes them feel important, #ignore, smile and walk away.

Anyhow, nothing wrong with a suggestion guys.... keep an open mind, we have plenty of closed ones out there.

I love the #list_guild command, especially when I have been gone awhile. Sure would be a pain in the ass if I had to ask Gossip if each and every single person was still in guild.

While it may not always be up to date. /gossip members all PAL

I, and several others did state before that we are not afraid, merely that we feel this to be beneficial enough to spend much time on. As it will require time to update/maintain as well as implement. If I wished to see who was a mod after being away for a long time, I could view the webpage. If I, as Nathan suggested, wished to see if the person telling me off is a mod or not so I can properly word my response, I can simply ask gossip. If Gossip is not online, then I would take my chances and be polite.

I have no qualms with this being implemented either. But I would much rather have a command detailing what maps are capped a/d maps. Or similar information upon login during an invasion. Or something to that effect.

edit:Selective ignore as well. Such as ignoring a player on a certain channel but not in local/etc.

Edited by Raytray

I don't possibly see why making such a command will take the mass amounts of time.. first time I've ever agreed with nathan here because it's logical and can't do any harm having some usefulness in game. You have #list_guild etc, what's the problem with #List_mod? and saying that it'd take too much time is utter bs.