Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
groomsh

Leo-like NPC thief

Hi,

i was thinking that it would be nice to make an NPC Thief.

It would be a human character not that hard to kill (much easier then Leo) but it would have all the "stealth" perks and it would be really hard to see.

This thief would wander the cities and other crowded areas and try to steal things from players :pinch:

Like few gold coins, or even some items... And of course the one who would kill it, would get all the loot and maybe some black robes :)

(Something similar was suggested ages ago in this reply http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.p...amp;#entry5359)

Edited by groomsh

I like this idea very much. Not sure if/when the mentioned guardians/bandits/etc. end in game, but a thief character would be good for starters.

Don't know I understand it well.. but you mean you go AFK and come back, and you got your thermal serp stolen ? :devlish:

Edited by Mango

As long as we could be safe inside, it could be interesting.

Definitely only on C2 though.

On the contrary. I think our thief should attack only in insides.

Don't know I understand it well.. but you mean you go AFK and come back, and you got your thermal serp stolen ? :devlish:

Well, but imagine a situation when you kill a thief and get a thermal serp :P

How about a negative perk that gives you some pickpoints.

-Whenever there is a 'Thieve-class' creature around, There is a chance to loose an unequipped item. (low overall chance, high chance to loose a few coins/he/potions/ores.. .etc).

-If programming allows it perhaps these creatures could drop whatever they have stolen. Either to anyone who kills them or only to people with that specific perk.

Now just find a person with loads of goodies with this perk and summon an army of thieves!!!! :devlish:

How about a negative perk that gives you some pickpoints.

I think there is no need to introduce more free PPs with negperks :devlish:

My idea was that it would be hard to spot creature which would have a chance to steal something from your inventory (of course not equipped items).

The chance could depend on victims stats and overall level (for example perception and dexterity).

If the thief is caught while stealing (his roll against victims stats fails) he becomes visible to all nearby people (same as when invis spell/potion wears off).

The amount of stolen things could depend also on victims stats.

And that thief could have some "specialization" .. like: stealing only gc, or only essies ...

Ok how about insides such as storage or buildings with shop npcs? That way there are still some safe insides to take refuge in, and would have the added benefit of stopping afk crowds at storages ;)

Ok how about insides such as storage or buildings with shop npcs? That way there are still some safe insides to take refuge in, and would have the added benefit of stopping afk crowds at storages ;)

Makes sense. It's pretty reasonable to look for a chance to steal something in crowded area, isn't it?

Oh Nordcarn storage would be a great example ;) (i know, it's on C1)

just a thought ....

thieves must have a place to store their ill gotten gains?

If you find his stash you get to keep it all,obviously the thief would change where he hides his ill gotten gains now and then

It would be fun trying to find it!(follow him?)

Someone AFKing for an hour and getting their thermal serp they paid 90$ for stolen = bad

I think it should only be able to steal a random amount of gc (say 1-1000?) with perhaps a very small chance of taking an item (not that you are wearing!) if you have no gc.

I do not like this idea at all. We have at least 2 skills that are purely there to generate gc spending instead of gc making, and on top of that we have other players rip eachother off and even 'stealing' things from eachother.

If this idea were to be implemented, then at least make the thief PKable and a bit less strong than Leonard? Otherwise it's just another way to take away money and stuff from the players.

Nice way to promote people just logging off instead of going afk too :P

If this idea were to be implemented, then at least make the thief PKable and a bit less strong than Leonard? Otherwise it's just another way to take away money and stuff from the players.

From the original suggestion:

It would be a human character not that hard to kill (much easier then Leo) ...

<snip>

And of course the one who would kill it, would get all the loot and maybe some black robes :P...

SO hypothetical situation:

You go afk, bandit/thief/whatever attacks you.

you kill it, stand on the bag for 12 mins till it poofs and potentially lose someones thermal serp.

Oh god, radu will love this idea :s

SO hypothetical situation:

You go afk, bandit/thief/whatever attacks you.

you kill it, stand on the bag for 12 mins till it poofs and potentially lose someones thermal serp.

Oh god, radu will love this idea :s

Nope, it should not attack you, just to try steal things from you.

If he fails, he gets fully visible to all nearby people and you get a message saying that he failed...

what about those of us who ARE around, and like to play in console while we mix/harvest and don't even notice?

I don't like this idea really, I think Leo is enough

As much as I like this idea there is one thing to consider - a strength of this thief. It should be extremely weak and easy to kill in my opinion (but very hard to reveal), otherwise it will be stealing from noobs and it will be killed mostly by experienced playes which is not a fair trade.

Another idea is to combine thief's strengths/weaknesses with player's cross attributes:

- thief would more likely spare people with higher charm :P

- thief would more likely fail to steal from people with higher reaction

- thief would be easier to spot for people with higher perception