Eternal Lands Official Forums
Cyprom

Use icon on summons

When I have to change my cursor, I hardly ever click in the HUD, instead I right-click on the object and it changes... For example on a person, it changes from the eye to the trade icon to the attack icon I believe.

Well I'm sure you knew that, but I would like the same for the summon window.

When I want to use this window, I right-click the summoned creature, but I only get an eye or an attack icon, not the pointy finger. Is it possible to add this?

Thanks

- Cyp

All in on this one, I'm the same way.

Don't see anything to say against it, hope they do it :P

Agreed, I'd like this too.

I looked into changing this a while ago, the following patch does it. Only trouble is that you are offered the use cursor for all animals not just summoned. There is no UNDER_MOUSE_SUMMONED definition.

Index: gamewin.c
===================================================================
RCS file: /cvsroot/elc/elc/gamewin.c,v
retrieving revision 1.232
diff -a -u -r1.232 gamewin.c
--- gamewin.c   5 Dec 2007 21:58:07 -0000	   1.232
+++ gamewin.c   8 Dec 2007 18:30:32 -0000
@@ -496,6 +496,8 @@
									else if (thing_under_the_mouse == UNDER_MOUSE_3D_OBJ){
											action_mode = ACTION_USE;
									}
+									   else if(thing_under_the_mouse == UNDER_MOUSE_ANIMAL)
+											   action_mode = ACTION_USE;
									else
											action_mode = ACTION_WALK;
									break;

perhaps you could check for it having a guild tag in the name or try to detect if it is set to lose health over time?

Agreed, I'd like this too.

I looked into changing this a while ago, the following patch does it. Only trouble is that you are offered the use cursor for all animals not just summoned. There is no UNDER_MOUSE_SUMMONED definition.

Well that doesn't personally bother me to have to scroll through 3 icons rather than 2 to get what I need/want. For me it would be worth it to make the summoning window easier to manage. It may however confuse people who will want to know how we can "use" a creature/animal.

We could use a config window option to enable the third state. I looked around and could not find a reliable way to identify a summoned animal; others may now better. The name and health idea would sometimes work but not always.

We could use a config window option to enable the third state.
This would be an ideal solution.

OK, well unless anyone objects, or someone has a better idea, I'll do that.

We could use a config window option to enable the third state.
This would be an ideal solution.

OK, well unless anyone objects, or someone has a better idea, I'll do that.

Thank you so much. Of course if there is a better option out there by all means do it, but at least this way the summoners have the option, and that's a huge help.

I don't see a problem with having the use button associated with non summoned animals.

In fact, I might even find some other use for that as well.

I don't see a problem with having the use button associated with non summoned animals.

Well I did the change with the config option yesterday. This way both killers and creators of life can be happy. I added the option to the controls tab of the config window. The option currently reads "For animals, right click includes use cursor" and the help text "Toggles inclusion of the use cursor when right clicking on animals, useful for your summoned creatures. Even when this option is off, you can still click the use icon.". I'll happily change the text to something else if needed, just let me know.

Edited by bluap

...This way both killers and creators of cancerous life can be happy...

edited for accuracy :devlish:

Another option in the config window? The config window is already getting full of things to toggle on/off that have no real greater value to the gameplay. As entropy said I don't see a problem either with having a pointing finger on normal animals/monsters. I remember years ago this game only had a config window for sitlock and resolution. Now the config window is already very unintuitive to search settings in. I'm sorry if this sounds agressive, but just had to tell it :devlish:

Another option in the config window?

Better in the el.config than not at all, since bluap wasn't sure the extra unused third state would be acceptable when we were posting and he did it.

((Either way works, the the config window is great, imo. Not exactly rocket science to look through it and see what options you like or want and it gives players a lot of choices and solutions to problems.))

Personally, I don't even think there is any reason to put it in the config window, I don't think anyone would mind it always on.

Oh, I agree, I was just commenting on the config window in general, since it was so "aggressively" attacked :)