Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
TheComet

Target Destination to other players

It would be interesting to have a command that allows you to leave a physical mark on the ground visible to another player, similar to an F9 fire but you either place it onscreen, via the map, or place it on certain coordinates through the command. The command would be sent to a single player only, or you could also have it be sent to all guildies. The mark would be maybe a flag or a blue F9 style fire and would last for only 2 minutes or so.

Each player could have settings with ignore options, maybe "ignore all" "only all friends" "allow guildies" and "allow all", so you can't be spammed marks

I could see this helping with a teamwork aspect, allowing a player to designate areas they want certain people to defend in PK, to temporarily mark a spawn area to help a new guy out, or even to establish a boundary when multiple people are training nearby and are sharing the same area.

A seperate window could list any designated areas by map and coord sent to you

It would be interesting to have a command that allows you to leave a physical mark on the ground visible to another player, similar to an F9 fire but you either place it onscreen, via the map, or place it on certain coordinates through the command. The command would be sent to a single player only, or you could also have it be sent to all guildies. The mark would be maybe a flag or a blue F9 style fire and would last for only 2 minutes or so.

Each player could have settings with ignore options, maybe "ignore all" "only all friends" "allow guildies" and "allow all", so you can't be spammed marks

I could see this helping with a teamwork aspect, allowing a player to designate areas they want certain people to defend in PK, to temporarily mark a spawn area to help a new guy out, or even to establish a boundary when multiple people are training nearby and are sharing the same area.

A seperate window could list any designated areas by map and coord sent to you

Additional work would need to be done to make sure this doesn't turn into a new way to spam the game. We already had to outlaw people dropping bags in order to spell things out.

I'd imagine only allowing 3 marks at a time from a single person, and my idea is to have the marks sent 1 at a time to a single person and not to everyone.

Sorta like PMing it to them

800 players times 3 marks gives 2400 marks >.< Considering all'em would be in a most crowded places it makes a lot of spam. I don't really like this idea. Sorry.

800 players times 3 marks gives 2400 marks >.< Considering all'em would be in a most crowded places it makes a lot of spam. I don't really like this idea. Sorry.

Well three is max, and they only last 2 minutes, so I can't see everyone dropping their max number at the same time, even if they could they would only be visible if they were dropped just for you to see, so no more likely than 800 people pming you at the same time, which would also be a lot of spam. However it is aditional coding, aditional server resources needed, and not really that useful as far as I can see, if it was implemented an item might be better, something in the 2-4kgc range to prevent spamming, and visible to all players (or all in guild) for 2-3 minutes, I still can't see it actually being used except very rarely though.

--Duck2

Well how much spam could a tiny little dot on a map create?

A bit, but it could be sent to the player and triggered clientside, that would probably work well considering the person recieving the mark is the only one who can see it

A bit, but it could be sent to the player and triggered clientside, that would probably work well considering the person recieving the mark is the only one who can see it

at first, this was what I thought exactly. Assuming f9 is entirely clientside (see no reason it wouldn't be) then a simple client mod to catch messages from PM/GM with a trigger (#remark maybe?) and the client rememebers the location for 2 minutes, and pops a blue flame at that point, or a mark is made on the relevant map (ina different color maybe?)

BUT then I got to thinking of how it could be used, and I dont really see a lot of point. If the mark will last just 2 minutes, then why not sit there? or post co-ords? or drop a flower in a bag?

I can't reallly think of anything that would make use of this that cannot be done already by some other means

Maybe this feature isn't bad to have in server/client, it could be used for contests lets say, for example you search for the next tip and so on

What concerns allowing this for every player, no big gain just spam i agree

I guess you mean sort of like you send minimap messages in some RTS games (such as WC3)?

It's a good idea, but it should only work for members of the same guild.

I liked the idea much... As it will be pr0 for PK, but spam will be problem maybe...

So why dont we make it for only PK?? Except NDD's, PK's are nearly empty all the time. So it will be pr0 to see someone incoming in PK...