Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DogBreath

Tutorial npc offering storage options for newbies

Thought it might be nice to have the tutorial npc offer storage options for newbies, kind of like the healing function -- below a certain level attack (or whatever makes sense.) Of course it would need to work kind of like votd storage, not let people combine near it. But for newbies, this might be a good way for them to learn about storage from the same NPC that tries to teach them the other things.

Sounds ok to me, but maybe until 20 overall or something.

Since some people are not really interested in leveling a/d much, they could just stick on IP and do some stuff there.

And it would encourage them to go look for those handy storages in other places when they pass 20 oa.

-Blee

The purpose of Tutorial NPC and Tutorial Quests is to learn newcomers a little about the game. That's why they're forced to pick certain flowers and put them in the storage in a regular area (i.e. White Stone or any other place). This is a lesson of using their maps and finding places they need.

Making Tutorial NPC a storage would make this Tutorial Quest completely senseless.

@Blee

Overall level doesn't mean a thing.

Edited by Kheres

I agree with it not happening. Allowing Tutorial NPC to offer a storage would cause a lot of commotion around Wraith and would cause the new players to not go out and explore the world thats around them. Most important - I think everyone has noticed that when a lot of ppl get around 1 storage it tends to lag alot for some reason. I like it that I can go see Wraith without having to find my way through a ton of ppl. On top of that I think if Tutorial NPC had storage capability that during busy times the new players may not be able to gain access to start there quest.

All in all.... Traveling to VOTD from beam is not far at all.

When I started playing, did I not leave IP for maybe a month, did'nt make the Tutorial Quests because I don't like quests and was close to drop the game.

Reason : I did'nt know it was possible to store anything.

So I killed a lots of rabbits, used the pp I got and just dropped the bags and were close to leave the game.

I think a storage would be good, people could stay on IP and collect some fur, meat and bones and be able to buy books when they go to the other maps.

People have low emu, if they should store all drops would they need to go to another map very often.

If they just leave the drops, do they have harvest a lot of flowers, to be able to buy books.

I think to start playing the game need to be a little more interesting.

Edited by Zamirah

When I started playing, did I not leave IP for maybe a month, did'nt make the Tutorial Quests because I don't like quests and was close to drop the game.

So I killed a lots of rabbits, used the pp I got and just dropped the bags and were close to leave the game.

I think a storage would be good, people could stay on IP and collect some fur, meat and bones and be able to buy books when they go to the other maps.

People have low emu, if they should store all drops would they need to go to another map very often.

If they just leave the drops, do they have harvest a lot of flowers, to be able to buy books.

Or maybe they just do a Tutorial Quest?

I agree with zami, if the tutorial npc could store items for very low level characters, it would make it alot easier for someone who doesnt know about storages to learn the ropes and not feel limited because they need to drop items after killing 10 rabbits because they are holding too much. I do like the overall level idea because it takes into account all of your skills, just using a/d would not work.

Or maybe they just do a Tutorial Quest?

If I liked quests did I leave here and played WOW, I have played EL 2.5 years, did the wine quest few months ago after I got level 62 potion.

To help a guildie buy cheap wine. :blink:

And do the quest tell about storages ?

Not sure I made them ever.

I believe you haven't as you are not sure whether they tell about storages or not. FYI, the part of the second Tutorial is putting some flower to... :trumpets and drums: storage!

Didn't leave IP for a month?!?!?

lmfao.

No need for this, as Merlin says you can easily find a storage by doing the newbie quest and asking in the newbie channel if you really can't find a storage, it's good to make people use some kind of initiative.

Didn't leave IP for a month?!?!?

lmfao.

No need for this, as Merlin says you can easily find a storage by doing the newbie quest and asking in the newbie channel if you really can't find a storage, it's good to make people use some kind of initiative.

I did'nt know anything about newbie channel, did'nt read ency :blink:

And the reason I did'nt leave IP was, I never found any NPC on the boat :(:(

Some people are readers, some people try to find out how things work.

The game is for both.

A storage would make peole know there are other skills.

And I had only seen IP, I thought the other maps were the same just higher levels animals.

So why leave as long as I was levelling.

Life is too short for quests.

Ok, maybe I could have a few levels more if I did the quests. :(

Edited by Zamirah

The tutorial NPC wants to teach you about storage, not leaving IP with the flowers. A different part of that quest already makes you leave and explore (taverns) so I don't see the loss. This might also keep newbies from complaining that the tutorial npc sent them off to put stuff in storage resulting in them dying as well as letting them store there stuff before wandering off to explore (for the exploration part of the quest.)

As far as people surrounding storage, if they can only use below a certain level, then only the Newbies will be using it, not everyone. Since only the newbies use the tutorial npc, I don't see the issue with it lagging others. Higher level people rarely visit the wraith (as pick points don't come that quickly at higher levels...)

It might also promote the use of the tutorial npc more and people would get use to using it and wonder what those other options are (heal, quest, etc..)

A storage would make peole know there are other skills.

I don't understand how a storage at Isla Prima would make people know there are other skills. I must be too dumb for it:(

Life is too short for quests.

I really have to apologise but this is just a bullshit. Quests are an integral part of the game and if you decide to limit yourself and do not follow them this is your choice. You shouldn't expect any words of compassion. Quite many people worked hard to provide you (us) quests in Eternal Lands. You don't like them? It's ok, nobody forces you.

@Dogbreath

There is a new player created every 5 minutes (if it is an easy day, in rush days - weekends/holidays a new player appears approximately every 30 seconds). Most of them do not talk to Tutorial NPC. They do not do Tutorial Quests. They do not join Newcomer Help Channel.

You assume that newcomers would use storage function of Tutorial NPC. Question is where they would learn about it. There are only two options:

1. #Hint (from my experience around 0.1% of new players read them),

2. Newbie Channel (but read above).

Your arguments do contradict themselves.

You say that people complain that they die while going to storage, but one sentence earlier you mention they have to go to the very same place and walk around it in the previous part of the quest. I would suppose they already know they can die in WhiteStone. Moreover, I think they have slightly higher chance to die while doing Scouting Tutorial than Harvesting Tutorial.

Next point, I don't see a way it would promote Tutorial NPC. If players know about Tutorial NPC they know about possibility of healing and possible quests. If they do not know about it, they hardly will know about storage, right? Hence, the storage influence is nil.

Last point, considering the number of new players (around 30-50 of them in game at any time), taking they will learn about Tutorial NPC, taking as granted they will want to store a lot of their items Tutorial NPC area AND Wraith surroundings is going to be:

1. Extremely crowded;

2. Very noisy;

3. A great source of troubles and a place requiring a constant attention.

All in all, I don't like this idea.

I doubt this would ever happen since the idea is to wean newbies off of IP to explore the world, not keep them hanging around.

I doubt this would ever happen since the idea is to wean newbies off of IP to explore the world, not keep them hanging around.

Just like the healing function, they would be forced to "stop using at a certain level", and henced weaned (or cut off...) and forced to find a new place to store. I'm mearly suggesting they learn how to store before they have to go out exploring (as we all would suggest to them in any help channel.)

@Kheres:

Exploring would cause more death, of course, but storing your stuff before exploring was my point (as most people would suggest). I forget the order of these quests, but if the exploration is before the storage, maybe they should be swapped (learn to store before you explore?) :P

And your point on the storage not promoting the tutorial npc is quite circular. Either way can be argued. If they ignore the NPC then they won't store stuff, but if they store stuff they might not ignore the NPC, I don't see the point of us dancing in circles around this. ;)

The lag issue is a toss up, who really knows until it's tried. If it does cause problems around the wraith then isn't it possible just to seperate the two a bit more? There's lots of room on that map (a bit north of the current location of the wraith) that's basically a dead spot, no one is ever there and the wraith might not mind moving a bit further away. ;)

I suppose that I could say something about a lag at Wraith. I spent there more than enough time (i.e. long hours), including rush hours.

I get the impression you're trying to defend your idea no matter what, including:

1. redoing Tutorial Quest (it ain't as easy as you may suppose);

2. moving Tutorial NPC (it was set where it is at the moment for purpose).

What for?

Additionally, I think that the order of Tutorial Quest is really good. Firstly, newcomers learn:

• moving around;
  • using a map;
  • moving around with the use of the map;
  • using a certain game functionalities ('use');
  • using ships.

Then they learn the most basic skill and abilities:

• harvesting;
  • pracitce using maps;
  • using storage.

In the last part of the quest they learn how to fight and what to do with their loot.

The order is pretty well thought and logic. Changing this order would be against a very purpose of the quest.

I keep thinking, also, that a logic way of starting any RPG game (or any other game) is after learning few basics on one's own doing some tutorials. They are called 'tutorials' on the purpose after all.

Tutorial (n): A session of intensive tuition given by a tutor to an individual or to a small number of students

Tutorial (a): Of or relating to tutors or tutoring

I get the impression you're trying to defend your idea no matter what, including:

As I get the impression that no matter what my idea is, you'd try to shoot it down. ;) I remember you suggested the #invasion (now known as #IL command in game) was a usless idea. If it's such a useless idea, I'm surprised it was implemented so quickly...

I'm not suggesting re-doing everything, just some minor adjustments. Changing the order of two parts of the quest and slightly moving the Wraith (not the tutorial npc) doesn't really seem that much.

But since you've decided it's a bad idea, no amount of thought or discussion will sway you and that's fine. :P

I still think #IL command is pretty useless. The fact it is implemented "so quickly" doesn't change my opinion, why should it?

You missed my point, though. Your 'minor adjustment' are neither minor or 'meaning not much'.

Logical order in teaching or tutoring is a very important issue (I can tell it after teaching subjects such as a circuit theory and computer analysis of electronic circuits at university). If the logical order is a - b - c - d, trying to change it (to a - d - c - :) causes only a confusion and makes it difficult to learn and to use in future. You will not start teaching match with differential equations.

But since you've decided it's a bad idea, no amount of thought or discussion will sway you and that's fine.

Have you ever thought that it may be caused by the 'weight' of your arguments?

PS.

What's the difference between moving the Wraith or Tutorial NPC? I can't understand it honestly.

Edited by Kheres

I still think #IL command is pretty useless. The fact it is implemented "so quickly" doesn't change my opinion, why should it?

You missed my point, though. Your 'minor adjustment' are neither minor or 'meaning not much'.

Logical order in teaching or tutoring is a very important issue (I can tell it after teaching subjects such as a circuit theory and computer analysis of electronic circuits at university). If the logical order is a - b - c - d, trying to change it (to a - d - c - :) causes only a confusion and makes it difficult to learn and to use in future. You will not start teaching match with differential equations.

But since you've decided it's a bad idea, no amount of thought or discussion will sway you and that's fine.

Have you ever thought that it may be caused by the 'weight' of your arguments?

PS.

What's the difference between moving the Wraith or Tutorial NPC? I can't understand it honestly.

Just a bit of humor, I actually took differential equations way before I took trig. And taught it :) I'm done arguing with you. :)

I say take away the healing at tutorial. I know it's harsh but newbies need to learn to eat. Ofcourse I am victim of the "when I was young" syndrome as most of us are.

This is an interesting idea and although there are two clear sides to an argument here, I think both are right. Dismissing either side of the argument is wrong, however. Sometimes little ideas that sound nice have a big impact, and getting people successfully into EL is surely important to the owners/developers and even players of the game. Important enough to invite insight from all perspectives

Edited by kailomonkey