Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
The_Knight

2 New Ideas

yup

#refresh - ingame mints?

Fall counter - updates once every 12 months after summer ends?

Ok I didnt Say FALL counter I Said FaiL counter

#Refresh would refresh the page just like on a browser

E.g. You were just accepted into a guild and you want to see your tag, so you type #refresh

And the Fail counter would be nice for Alchers and Manuers

to compare the # of Fails and Critical Fails (Loss of ingreds)

I think they would be easy to implement and would be used fairly enough

,Knight

I think they would be easy to implement and would be used fairly enough

,Knight

Ok how would you implement them?

E.g. You were just accepted into a guild and you want to see your tag, so you type #refresh

Use a door, teleport to range, or log in/out.

pwnt.

Does the server even allow for this kind of command?

Does the server even allow for this kind of command?

as I understand it, yes, this it just a resync-on-demand. mind you, that won't refresh everything, like skills, which I think can also be easily done, or reload map and textures, which isn't so simple to do

lol @ refresh thing, for one how often do u really change guilds, and if u do, why does it matter if tag is inaccurate for 0.0234 secs ?

anyone know a resync with server also is like a refreash button? lol

#refresh is useles....

but fail counter is a good idea... its always good t know your fail rated... u have a stats behind your progress need... and also is very good to calculate how much your items realy costs

when u start making bars to sell.... do u know how much ingreds u have spent at all??? i dont think so... this way u can sell it and have no profits at all... maybe it helps to make prices more real tough

Edited by Tico

For the fail counter (if possible) one could consider having success/failed ingredients in the counter.

Like:

Hydrogenium Bar.............9/1

Meaning you successfully made 10 and failed one out of 10 possible, then you can calculate your success rate with ease without having it spelled out for you in the counter window.

Meaning you successfully made 10 and failed one out of 10 possible, then you can calculate your success rate with ease without having it spelled out for you in the counter window.

This could be depressing and put me off manu and alching bars... but it would be good to have.

The #Refresh guild thing idea was just something where it would be in use, its not the only time it would work.

I would use it when I am lagging, or frozen.

The basic version:

I agree with having a manufacture counter and I agree with having a command that re-draws graphics, but not a command that re-syncs with the server.

If your interested, heres why:

I presume that the operation that would be performed to make your new guild name appear next to your name would be a different operation than what would be required to fix lagging or frozen (unless the freezing is a graphics card issue), one would be a re-draw of graphics and one would be a re-sync with server.

I dont think a re-sync with server command should be implemented because every time the game "stops working" heaps of people would use it but the server may just be held up doing some required operation for a few seconds and being kained with connection requests rather than it re-syncing with clients when it's ready wouldn't be good.

The re-drawing of graphics on the other hand may have it's uses (and i'm not talking about showing guild names). Someone who has a graphics card that claims to support opengl 1.2 but doesn't properly or has highly intermittent video memory issues (or one of a thousand other problems that can effect the displaying of 3D graphics) may find a #redraw command useful if their screen gets "garbled".

There are pently of reasons to not have a #resync command (1 of which i stated above), but why not have a #redraw command? As far as i can tell it wont hurt the server in anyway, in fact the server probably doesn't even have to know about it, it would be all client-side. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

And a manufacture counter would be great! :(

Korrode

Edited by Korrode

redraw as in reloading all textures/etc? that's what's required to fix corruption... and it may still not work. mind you, that wouldn't be too hard to add either, just duplicate the change-map stuff, to reload. and yes, it will take as long as a mapchange, and no, it won't always fix things

as for resync, that's to get the list of actors again. while that does involve the server, it's not like actor data being sent is uncommon

This could be depressing and put me off manu and alching bars... but it would be good to have.

A high fail rate means you need to level up alchemy on other bars before you do them. Just because you can try to make something doesn't mean that it is a good idea to try.

that's what's required to fix corruption... and it may still not work ............... and no, it won't always fix things

I said there are some people who may find a #redraw command useful, i wasn't implying that it would fix all graphics issues people could have.

mind you, that wouldn't be too hard to add either, just duplicate the change-map stuff, to reload

Exactly. Dont ask "Why should this command be implemented?", ask "Why not impletment this command?". As long as it doesn't hurt the EL server in any way, even if only a few people find it useful, that will be a few people who's EL experience will be enriched at no cost to anyone... except for 2 minutes of a programmers time.

Edited by Korrode

that's what's required to fix corruption... and it may still not work ............... and no, it won't always fix things

I said there are some people who may find a #redraw command useful, i wasn't implying that it would fix all graphics issues people could have.

mind you, that wouldn't be too hard to add either, just duplicate the change-map stuff, to reload

Exactly. Dont ask "Why should this command be implemented?", ask "Why not impletment this command?". As long as it doesn't hurt the EL server in any way, even if only a few people find it useful, that will be a few people who's EL experience will be enriched at no cost to anyone... except for 2 minutes of a programmers time.

A true #reload similar to what happens in a resync requires a large amount of data to be loaded from the server, specially in crowded areas. Anything less then that done client side only would probably cause a resync (like having to reload the map, objects, and graphics). If you are thinking of anything else, people should be very specific in what they mean because the term #refresh is very vague from rewritting the screen (like id does with every frame already) to reloading all the data, graphics, and actor locations (this happens during a map change).

Eve if you are trying to have #refresh only affect guild tags ... does it get only your character or does it refresh all of the people guild tags? And currently the server never sends just a guild tag or name, it sends all of the information about the actor, just like when that actor first becomes visible. Doing anything else isn't just a 'simple' change, it would require server and protocol changes that probably aren't worth the effort.

Anything less then that done client side only would probably cause a resync (like having to reload the map, objects, and graphics).

Are you saying the EL client cannot just re-draw graphics without re-syncing with server? thus meaning that when you change resolution you re-sync?

Just wondering...

Thanks for your time,

Anything less then that done client side only would probably cause a resync (like having to reload the map, objects, and graphics).

Are you saying the EL client cannot just re-draw graphics without re-syncing with server? thus meaning that when you change resolution you re-sync?

Just wondering...

Thanks for your time,

EL is constantly redrawing the graphics, with every single frame! So, no effect would happen with #refresh if that is all it did. That is why I'm saying you need to clarify exactly what you are calling a #refresh.